DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #3616
Muushka
I usually feel like I just stepped in it
I do love to see a cat while on vacation
Well hot-diggity-dog, another Groupie!
 
Muushka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: VWL, in my mind....
Posts: 13,933

Thank you DDi and Kat4
__________________


~Remember 9/11/2012
~The IRS. Today it's 'them', tomorrow it's YOU!
~I would rather be governed by the first 50 names in the Boston telephone book
than by the professors at Harvard. ~William F. Buckley Jr.
Muushka is offline  
Old 03-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #3617
twokats
DIS Veteran
 
twokats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,285

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagsmom View Post
Oh, the OCD is a given! I just wish it extended into my housekeeping.
This is my motto at my house!!!

__________________
Kathy

DCL (Wonder, Eastern Caribbean) January 2016: DCL (Wonder, Bahama) December 2015: DCL (Magic, Southern Caribbean & Repo B2B), VWL - October 2014: AKL (Jambo Concierge), DCL (Fantasy, Eastern Caribbean) - September 2014: VWL - Dec 2013: DL (Grand Californian), DCL (Wonder, LA/Galveston PC Repo) - Sept 2013: DCL (Magic, Cozumel) - Feb 2013: VWL - Sept 2012: VWL, DCL (Fantasy, Western Caribbean) - May 2012: AKV, SSR - Dec 2011: DCL (Wonder, NYE Eastern Caribbean) - Dec 2010/Jan 2011: AKV, SSR - Dec 2009: AKV, DCL (Wonder, Bahama), VWL - May/June 2009: VWL - 2007: WL - 2004: WL - 2001: Dixie Landing - 1998: Offsite - 1987

twokats is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #3618
DiznyDi
If you remember, we are the rural folks
 
DiznyDi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Northeastern Ohio
Posts: 2,210

Quote:
Originally Posted by twokats View Post
This is my motto at my house!!!

LOVE your motto Kathy!
__________________
DiznyDi is offline  
Old 03-02-2013, 10:04 PM   #3619
Granny

Is a REAL man!
 
Granny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 12,874

Sitting here in my room at AKV Jambo...brrr it was a cold and windy day at WDW today! Mostly just hanging out, chilling and eating so far with a quick trip over to MK this evening. Thinking of my Groupie friends and hoping everyone gets healthy and happy soon!

AKV may be a sister resort to WL but for a variety of reasons it just doesn't sing to us in the same manner. Not surprising I suppose, but this and SSR were the only options for our last minute booking so I can't complain. I look forward to a few days of decompression between jobs.
__________________
Granny

(yep, I'm a guy)

Granny is offline  
Old 03-02-2013, 10:10 PM   #3620
DiznyDi
If you remember, we are the rural folks
 
DiznyDi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Northeastern Ohio
Posts: 2,210

Let me tell you about Aulani - what a beautiful, fabulous resort. I hope that at some point of each of your lives you have opportunity to visit this beautiful place! We chose to visit in February - winter season in Hawaii. While the temperatures were in the high 70's and low 80's during the day, the winds were fierce. We did swim some, but getting out of the water was a 'chilling' experience. It was much warmer to sunbathe at the lagoon.
The CM's are like family; very friendly, helpful and full of conversation. It is worth the price of the refillable mug - $18.99 - just for the coffee alone. While I do enjoy my coffee, I'm usually a 'morning only' coffee drinker. At Aulani I was drinking coffee all day long.
We began each morning with a walk along the lagoons up to the point and the marina. It would take us about an hour and the walk is nearly 3 miles. There are a total of 4 lagoons. While at Disney in December we would count the deer along the path over to Ft. Wilderness. At Aulani, we counted the stray cats - one day as many as 23! Local residents would feed them. This photo shows the walkway with a beautiful rainbow over Aulani.



One day we made our way up to the North Shore where we spent a considerable amount of time at the beach watching the sea turtles and hoping one would come into shore to sun himself. Please meet Olivia Dawn, a 210 pound sea turtle. As a point of information, the turtles come to the warm sand to sun themselves and help aid in their digestion. There are about 28 turtles - all named and recognized by the volunteers that guard over them - that come to this particular beach.



We spent an afternoon whale-watching; a tour booked through Aulani's tour desk. What a wonderful experience! One of the big fellow's even did a back-flip for us. Thrilling!

We also spent a day over on the big island doing an Eco Volcano tour. While the tour was again a very educational experience, should you decide to do this, please do you homework and book with a reputable tour company. This excursion was booked through our local AAA and was plagued with problems: the plane was over 2 hours late taking off (Go! Airlines ), 4 very young children that were very bored 2 hours into a 12 hour tour, no time for dinner, the 'expert' tour guide failed to get us back to the airport on time and our flight had already departed. $700.00 later, we're on the last flight off the island and flying with Hawaiian airlines. This photo taken from a significant distance shows the molten glow of magma.



As a word of caution and something we knew, when traveling up the west coast be extremely careful. This area is plagued with homeless and is a constant source of headache for the local police with robbery. We were indeed victimized. Our rental car was broken into - the trunk where we had stored our backpacks, purses, wallets ipad and cell phones. Some things were taken, some not and believe it or not, some were even returned to Aulani's front desk several hours after the incident. We had gone up the coast to watch a surfing championship......

Aulani is beautiful! I'd go back in a heartbeat. Even the long flight was tolerable. Maybe someday....
DDad and me near the path we walked daily taking in the beauty before us. Beside Aulani is one of 3 wedding chapels in Ko Olina. We would see weddings on a regular basis beginning as early as 9 AM! If (when - sshhh) we ever go back, I think I'd like to go in September or October. We've been in June and now in February. Yes, I think September would be good!

__________________
DiznyDi is offline  
Old 03-02-2013, 11:26 PM   #3621
Muushka
I usually feel like I just stepped in it
I do love to see a cat while on vacation
Well hot-diggity-dog, another Groupie!
 
Muushka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: VWL, in my mind....
Posts: 13,933

Have a nice relaxing time at the World, Granny. And best wishes for your new job!

DDi, so sorry that happened to you. You took it all so well, that was makes you so special.
I love the pictures, and hope to get there one day.
__________________


~Remember 9/11/2012
~The IRS. Today it's 'them', tomorrow it's YOU!
~I would rather be governed by the first 50 names in the Boston telephone book
than by the professors at Harvard. ~William F. Buckley Jr.
Muushka is offline  
Old 03-03-2013, 07:34 AM   #3622
Granny

Is a REAL man!
 
Granny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 12,874

Di...thanks for the photos and trip report. Aulani is definitely on our bucket list...just have to figure out when would be the best time for us. Sounds like a lovely place. And a trip that seems to need a lot of advance research to avoid the issues you had. Was the car broken into in the Aulani parking lot? That would really be disappointing!

Another cool day here at WDW...temps supposed to be in the mid-60's for a high with strong winds again (17-20 mph). Not very pleasant, but still a great place to be no matter what the weather holds. Supposedly it will be in the upper 70's before we leave.
__________________
Granny

(yep, I'm a guy)

Granny is offline  
Old 03-03-2013, 07:57 AM   #3623
wildernessDad
DIS Veteran
 
wildernessDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,698

Kilauea, on the big island. erupted the year we left Hawaii, 1980, and hasn't stopped since.
__________________

wildernessDad is offline  
Old 03-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #3624
sleepydog25
Girls of the Woo Hooty: Riddlers Gone Bad
I'm gettin' trippy about my race
Well, I was channeling YOU
Jack, the fairly good person to unwind to
 
sleepydog25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Twixt here and there
Posts: 3,608

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny View Post
Another cool day here at WDW...temps supposed to be in the mid-60's for a high with strong winds again (17-20 mph). Not very pleasant, but still a great place to be no matter what the weather holds. Supposedly it will be in the upper 70's before we leave.
I'll try to work up some sympathy for you as I sit in 18F temps, 25-30 mph winds, snow showers, and the threat of a major snow event come Wednesday.
__________________
Patrick "aka" Sleepydog, Sleepy, or Slydog
What is essential is invisible to the eye.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery



sleepydog25 is offline  
Old 03-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #3625
rusafee1183
DVC Owner Since 2012!
 
rusafee1183's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 3,108

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydog25 View Post
I'll try to work up some sympathy for you as I sit in 18F temps, 25-30 mph winds, snow showers, and the threat of a major snow event come Wednesday.


Same here!
__________________
Heather & Bob
rusafee1183 is offline  
Old 03-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #3626
Granny

Is a REAL man!
 
Granny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 12,874

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muushka View Post
Have a nice relaxing time at the World, Granny. And best wishes for your new job!
Thanks for the kind words of support, as always Barb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydog25 View Post
I'll try to work up some sympathy for you as I sit in 18F temps, 25-30 mph winds, snow showers, and the threat of a major snow event come Wednesday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusafee1183 View Post


Same here!
I know, I know...it's still 30-40 degrees better than we left in St. Louis. But lows in the 30's in Orlando coupled with 20 mph winds makes for a cool walk around MK. Still, as you all point out, we are in a great place and believe me I'm not looking for sympathy as we enjoy the trip.

On a different topic, we are staying in a 1BR lock-off Standard View at AKV-Jambo. It's our first stay at Jambo after a couple of Kidani stays. Quite a bit different with a different layout (no kitchen "L" shape counter for instance and no dedicated shower (it's part of the bathtub like a typical hotel room). Not a big thing, and plenty of room for DW and I, but quite different from the roominess and extra bathroom we enjoyed at Kidani.

I hope all Groupies who are suffering from illness or injury are recuperating quickly. Be well, my friends!
__________________
Granny

(yep, I'm a guy)

Granny is offline  
Old 03-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #3627
sleepydog25
Girls of the Woo Hooty: Riddlers Gone Bad
I'm gettin' trippy about my race
Well, I was channeling YOU
Jack, the fairly good person to unwind to
 
sleepydog25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Twixt here and there
Posts: 3,608

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny View Post
I know, I know...it's still 30-40 degrees better than we left in St. Louis. But lows in the 30's in Orlando coupled with 20 mph winds makes for a cool walk around MK. Still, as you all point out, we are in a great place and believe me I'm not looking for sympathy as we enjoy the trip.
We're just envious.
__________________
Patrick "aka" Sleepydog, Sleepy, or Slydog
What is essential is invisible to the eye.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery



sleepydog25 is offline  
Old 03-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #3628
twinmom108
DIS Veteran
 
twinmom108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Pikes Peak Region, Colorado
Posts: 1,346

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiznyDi View Post
Let me tell you about Aulani - what a beautiful, fabulous resort. I hope that at some point of each of your lives you have opportunity to visit this beautiful place! We chose to visit in February - winter season in Hawaii. While the temperatures were in the high 70's and low 80's during the day, the winds were fierce. We did swim some, but getting out of the water was a 'chilling' experience. It was much warmer to sunbathe at the lagoon.
The CM's are like family; very friendly, helpful and full of conversation. It is worth the price of the refillable mug - $18.99 - just for the coffee alone. While I do enjoy my coffee, I'm usually a 'morning only' coffee drinker. At Aulani I was drinking coffee all day long.
We began each morning with a walk along the lagoons up to the point and the marina. It would take us about an hour and the walk is nearly 3 miles. There are a total of 4 lagoons. While at Disney in December we would count the deer along the path over to Ft. Wilderness. At Aulani, we counted the stray cats - one day as many as 23! Local residents would feed them. This photo shows the walkway with a beautiful rainbow over Aulani.



One day we made our way up to the North Shore where we spent a considerable amount of time at the beach watching the sea turtles and hoping one would come into shore to sun himself. Please meet Olivia Dawn, a 210 pound sea turtle. As a point of information, the turtles come to the warm sand to sun themselves and help aid in their digestion. There are about 28 turtles - all named and recognized by the volunteers that guard over them - that come to this particular beach.



We spent an afternoon whale-watching; a tour booked through Aulani's tour desk. What a wonderful experience! One of the big fellow's even did a back-flip for us. Thrilling!

We also spent a day over on the big island doing an Eco Volcano tour. While the tour was again a very educational experience, should you decide to do this, please do you homework and book with a reputable tour company. This excursion was booked through our local AAA and was plagued with problems: the plane was over 2 hours late taking off (Go! Airlines ), 4 very young children that were very bored 2 hours into a 12 hour tour, no time for dinner, the 'expert' tour guide failed to get us back to the airport on time and our flight had already departed. $700.00 later, we're on the last flight off the island and flying with Hawaiian airlines. This photo taken from a significant distance shows the molten glow of magma.



As a word of caution and something we knew, when traveling up the west coast be extremely careful. This area is plagued with homeless and is a constant source of headache for the local police with robbery. We were indeed victimized. Our rental car was broken into - the trunk where we had stored our backpacks, purses, wallets ipad and cell phones. Some things were taken, some not and believe it or not, some were even returned to Aulani's front desk several hours after the incident. We had gone up the coast to watch a surfing championship......

Aulani is beautiful! I'd go back in a heartbeat. Even the long flight was tolerable. Maybe someday....
DDad and me near the path we walked daily taking in the beauty before us. Beside Aulani is one of 3 wedding chapels in Ko Olina. We would see weddings on a regular basis beginning as early as 9 AM! If (when - sshhh) we ever go back, I think I'd like to go in September or October. We've been in June and now in February. Yes, I think September would be good!

Lovin your trip report! DH & I are considering Aulani for our 25th Wedding Anniversary in 2016. I'd like to do a vow renewal ceremony too, but Allen isn't as enthused about that idea. He thinks I've been watching too many of the "Say Yes To the Dress" Show episodes. Even though our anniversary is in July, I too think September would we a nice month to go & probably easier to book a ressie for at 7 months out.
__________________
Sharon

Peter Pan's #1 Fan
twinmom108 is offline  
Old 03-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #3629
gmi3804
DIS Veteran
 
gmi3804's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 778

I just need to release some excitement about our upcoming trip in May, our first VWL stay. Three of us in a dedicated 2BR.

I love WL and its theming, and can't wait to experience that environment again. We haven't stayed at WL since '98/'99 (when our New Year's trip was extended by three days after a blizzard in Chicago "stranded" us in FL), and always loved the convenience of the MK boats.

We bought DVC last year, at BLT; I'm one of those traditionalists, considering any resort that's not CR, Poly, or Golf Resort "one of those new places." My first stay at the Poly was in '74 when I was 8. Nice memories.

I'm not a fan at all of the seaside decor at the BW resorts, though love their convenience during F & W.

Anyway, can't wait for our VWL stay. I think I'd like to try for one of the corner xx19 units, overlooking the pool. The layout looks unique. Has anyone stayed in one of those who can give me some feedback/info?
__________________


Stupid Judy.
gmi3804 is offline  
Old 03-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #3630
bluecastle
Mouseketeer
 
bluecastle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 392

Finally caught up!!

First things first: THE Wonderful THING About TiGGERS

(Sorry about the all caps for T, but I have no idea how to do bold on my iPad!)

Thanks for all the wonderful photos and reports. I have always wanted to go to Hawaii, and now that Disney is there it makes it even more appealing. However, not being able to drive there is a problem......

Sinus troubles: I had a CT scan of my sinuses a few years ago and was not surprised to find out my right sinus is chronically inflamed. I have been using Advair once a day
for awhile now and I think it has helped. The problem for me was the danger of sinus infection turning into bronchitis/pneumonia so I try to do as much preventatively as I can. Besides the Advair, I use Vicks Vaporub every night and even inhale it directly from the jar until I feel the right side of my nose open up a bit. This could all be placebo effects, but it has seemed to help! I get tooth pain too. I heard that allergy season has started early this year because of all the high winds we have had. Also, decreasing dairy helps a bit too. I feel your pain! Once it becomes a coughing thing, it does take longer to get rid of. Try to sleep with your head propped up. Breathe steam. I use a big bowl of water with herbal teas made for nasal congestion and coughs. ( look for eucalyptus and lemon) I boil the water in the microwave, put the tea bags in, and put a towel over my head. I keep reheating until I feel some relief. Hope you are well soon!

Happy Birthdays to all I missed! I love your virtual birthday plans.

And last but not least, today is my 150 day mark! Can't wait to see the VWL lobby details from that video.
__________________
Mickey
'81 offsite, 4/90 Polynesian, 8/91 Beach Club, 7/92 Pt. Orleans, 10/94 Polynesian, 10/96 Caribbean Beach, 6/00 Wilderness Lodge, 6/02 Portofino/Polynesian, 12/09 Wilderness Lodge, 8/14 Portofino/Villas at Wilderness Lodge
bluecastle is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: