Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-02-2013, 11:06 PM   #466
Annie78
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 265

I have a super-specific CR food question - for those who have been recently, do Contemporary Cafe's grab-and-go selections include hummus and/or yogurt? Those are the two foods 3 yo DS will most reliably eat even in unfamiliar form, so it would be great to grab some to eat later in the parks.
__________________
Annie
CBR 1991; POR 1992; Dixie Landings 1993; Disneyland Paris 2001; Disneyland 2006; Dolphin 2012; WBC 2012; Pop/BLT 2013
Back to Pop in late February 2014!
Annie78 is offline  
Old 03-02-2013, 11:33 PM   #467
babyberger
DIS Veteran
 
babyberger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,797

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie78
I have a super-specific CR food question - for those who have been recently, do Contemporary Cafe's grab-and-go selections include hummus and/or yogurt? Those are the two foods 3 yo DS will most reliably eat even in unfamiliar form, so it would be great to grab some to eat later in the parks.
I am almost 100% that I saw yogurt in the grab and go, but I can't recall any hummus, but I wasn't looking for it either.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
__________________
My Recent Deluxe Splurge Sept 2012 - YC, Oct 2012 - WL, Dec 2012 - CR CL, Feb 2013 - CR TPV
Starting the weekend trips again!

My Trip Reports:
Special Needs, Special Diets...No Problem (hopefully)!
A Year Is Way Too Long To Wait! We Just Keep Booking Trips!
Walt Disney World with Some Tasty New Finds


Follow Me at Blogger, Twitter, Pinterest
babyberger is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-03-2013, 08:03 AM   #468
MrsBlovesDisney
DIS Veteran
 
MrsBlovesDisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: MA/RI BORDER
Posts: 1,179

Another CR food specific question.....

Does anyone know if the food store on the 4th floor sells Oscar Mayer Hotdogs? I thought I saw them last year but not positive. Prob going to order some thru GG but was curious....although they're prob a lot more expensive at the CR.
TIA!!
__________________
Me DH DD DS
The Contemporary will always be our first love.... ....we're so glad DVC built the BLT!!
DVC @ OKW & BLT

Fell in love with the Mouse on our Honeymoon in 1992...been hooked ever since!


2014 TRIPS: March BLT 1 BDRM TPV, Nov BLT 2 BDRM
NEXT TRIP: April 2015 BLT 1 BDRM
MrsBlovesDisney is offline  
Old 03-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #469
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy
 
WDWKOOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NoVA
Posts: 16,249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie78 View Post
I have a super-specific CR food question - for those who have been recently, do Contemporary Cafe's grab-and-go selections include hummus and/or yogurt? Those are the two foods 3 yo DS will most reliably eat even in unfamiliar form, so it would be great to grab some to eat later in the parks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyberger View Post
I am almost 100% that I saw yogurt in the grab and go, but I can't recall any hummus, but I wasn't looking for it either.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Yes, there is yogurt, but I've not seen hummus either, except at club level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBlovesDisney View Post
Another CR food specific question.....

Does anyone know if the food store on the 4th floor sells Oscar Mayer Hotdogs? I thought I saw them last year but not positive. Prob going to order some thru GG but was curious....although they're prob a lot more expensive at the CR.
TIA!!
Yes, here it is:
WDWKOOK is offline  
Old 03-03-2013, 09:02 AM   #470
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy
 
WDWKOOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NoVA
Posts: 16,249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryhndmom View Post
Kook...assume you are military too ? DH retired AF so good to know there is still a military discount for other WDW resorts if we don't stay at shades of green and/or have used up our DVC points . (since they have indeed done away with the 40% airline discount)

I will have to say after staying at CR on the CL...I really, really, really like BLT and the 1BD villa...so nice to have washer/dryer and...two bathrooms !
DH is retired USAF, too. Yes, the interline discount is no more this year, but for several years now they keep renewing the military discount. Also, when SOG is booked (you can plug your dates in online to see if they're booked), you can book an overflow rate for a WDW resort. The discount is 20% off, with no blackouts, unlike the military rate which is blacked-out during holidays.

I agree with you that the one bedroom villas at BLT are amazing. We've pretty much given up CL in favor of the one bedroom instead, though split stays makes them both possible. It's a tough choice, but the villa really makes the vacation extra relaxing and comfortable and we can still enjoy CR and the walkway

Quote:
Originally Posted by marybogue View Post
Kook, You are a Contemporary master! Thank you for the DVC info, and such a fabulous thread.
Master KOOK is blushing - thank you, marybogue, I'm glad you're enjoying the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoofy View Post
Welcome, and glad to help. Do keep in mind that the CR rooms are bigger than the BLT studio rooms, but the 1 BRs and above at BLT are amazing.
WDWKOOK is offline  
Old 03-03-2013, 09:02 AM   #471
MrsBlovesDisney
DIS Veteran
 
MrsBlovesDisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: MA/RI BORDER
Posts: 1,179

THANK YOU (as always) WDWKOOK!!!
__________________
Me DH DD DS
The Contemporary will always be our first love.... ....we're so glad DVC built the BLT!!
DVC @ OKW & BLT

Fell in love with the Mouse on our Honeymoon in 1992...been hooked ever since!


2014 TRIPS: March BLT 1 BDRM TPV, Nov BLT 2 BDRM
NEXT TRIP: April 2015 BLT 1 BDRM
MrsBlovesDisney is offline  
Old 03-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #472
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy
 
WDWKOOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NoVA
Posts: 16,249

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBlovesDisney View Post
THANK YOU (as always) WDWKOOK!!!
You're welcome. Your trip is coming up soon! Hope you'll report back to us and include a few room view photos perhaps?
WDWKOOK is offline  
Old 03-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #473
MrsBlovesDisney
DIS Veteran
 
MrsBlovesDisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: MA/RI BORDER
Posts: 1,179

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoofy View Post
the CR rooms are bigger than the BLT studio rooms, but the 1 BRs and above at BLT are amazing.

Just thought I'd say "I agree 100%"!!! Tho we ADORE the CR, there's just so much space in the 1BDRM's + !

We have a Res for CR TPV for April using the Disney Visa discount. I keep calling HOPING that a 1 Bdrm TPV at the BLT will open up in the meantime.
I doubt it will but you NEVER KNOW!

Either way we are TOTALLY PUMPED!!!
__________________
Me DH DD DS
The Contemporary will always be our first love.... ....we're so glad DVC built the BLT!!
DVC @ OKW & BLT

Fell in love with the Mouse on our Honeymoon in 1992...been hooked ever since!


2014 TRIPS: March BLT 1 BDRM TPV, Nov BLT 2 BDRM
NEXT TRIP: April 2015 BLT 1 BDRM
MrsBlovesDisney is offline  
Old 03-03-2013, 09:16 AM   #474
quandrea
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,478

Heading to BLT in a week. Booked a standard view. What should I request. Also, dd is severely allergic. Will the front desk note a special clean of the room if I call direct? What should I request for lake view? We have one night booked in a lake view.
quandrea is offline  
Old 03-03-2013, 07:33 PM   #475
Kanga1
DIS Veteran
 
Kanga1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 1,423

TPV balconies in mid-summer

My DH wants to celebrate his 50th birthday in 2014 by staying at the Contemporary. Of course a TPV would be the best. We would be there over July 4th. I LOVE a balcony and am out on it a LOT. Aren't the TPV balconies unbearable and basically unuseable in mid-summer from about 11:00am until 7:00pm due to directly facing the sun?
__________________
DH Me DD13 and our two Burmese girls
1982, 1985, 1994 Off property/2005 CR/2006 POFQ/2007 CSR/2008 Poly/July 2009 GF/Sept 2009 ASMu/ 2010 BC CL/2011 CBR, DCL Dream, and POP/July 2012 POR/December 2012 WL/2013 Poly/2014 AKL/2015 POFQ

See our July 2014 Video

See our July 2010 Video

Kanga1 is offline  
Old 03-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #476
familygoboston
Mouseketeer
 
familygoboston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 339

Quote:
Originally Posted by quandrea View Post
Heading to BLT in a week. Booked a standard view. What should I request. Also, dd is severely allergic. Will the front desk note a special clean of the room if I call direct? What should I request for lake view? We have one night booked in a lake view.
quandrea- What size unit?
We were able to see the MK park and distant castle from our 1 BR Lake view by requesting the North Building level 6 or higher, even numbered unit (numbers ending in 4, 10, 12) it seems if you have a studio if you requested North tower, level 6 or higher (lower is considered standard view anyway) units ending in 08, or 08 you would have a left looking peek at the park as well as a lovely view of the Bay Lake. If you want to see the contemporary and the electric water parade on Bay Lake, and be a bit closer to the walkway on level 5, consider the South building. Hope that helps! The odd numbered Villas all seem to over look the pool area with the lake beyond...many of the upper level ones are lake view, but you will not be able to see the MK park from the odd numbered units.

Good luck!!

I'm going to post photos of 7710 later today...DH finally finished processing them!
familygoboston is offline  
Old 03-04-2013, 08:01 AM   #477
montrealdisneylovers
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanga1 View Post
My DH wants to celebrate his 50th birthday in 2014 by staying at the Contemporary. Of course a TPV would be the best. We would be there over July 4th. I LOVE a balcony and am out on it a LOT. Aren't the TPV balconies unbearable and basically unuseable in mid-summer from about 11:00am until 7:00pm due to directly facing the sun?
I cannot speak for summer as I never travel to Disney then. However, at Christmas, I look forward to sitting out there to warm up!! So, I guess it must be really hot in the summer!!
__________________
montrealdisneylovers is offline  
Old 03-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #478
familygoboston
Mouseketeer
 
familygoboston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 339

Bay Lake Tower 1 BR Lake View Review 7710

Hi everyone,
First...Doesn't your heart just jump for joy when you see this:


Here is a recent review of our stay at BLT.

Contemporary:



BLT:



Room Selection: we chose a lake view one BR for our family of 4, DH and I (we are not telling!) and DD's 16 and 18. We chose the 1 BR for the kitchen, but mainly for the 2 bathrooms and the sleeper couch and sleeper chair. DD 2 is 5 foot 10 and needs a little more space than sharing a single sofa bed! And with teen girls you can see why we wanted the second bath

We read this thread in its entirety (love this thread!) and determined by looking at the wonderful chart that is linked here that we could score a MK view in a Lake View unit if we requested a unit in the North Tower with an even number (this means asking for units ending in 04, 10, 12). We wanted to be on a floor closer to the "bridge" between Contemporary and BLT on level 5 (goes to level 4 at the Contemporary) so we could walk the stairs rather than always have to wait for the elevator. Requesting the North tower meant we were accepting a longer walk (all the way through the center tower) to get to the walk way, but this seemed worth it to get the MK view. The Lake View is also lovely!!

We paid rack rates because my DH's father was ill and we could not rent points like we usually do, we needed fully refunable. As it turned out he passed in December, but there was so much going on, I was not about to cancel and then search for a last minute rental. The rate was doable because we only stayed 4 nights, splitting the week with 4 days on the west coast visiting my parents (at a rate $o ) in their home.

Photo Tour of the 7710:
The view from our balcony:


This unit is the middle of the 3 1 BR that have a view; the o4 unit will have a much better view of MK, the 12 unit will be much like this but a little further away. You can see the fireworks pretty well, but the castle is far to the naked eye. My DH got some better photos with his telephoto. We could not see the Electric Water parade from this location. While there is a parking lot, tennis court and service area right below us, we did not notice any noise from inside the unit, on the balcony you could hear folks playing tennis, but not their conversations and the occasional car in the parking lot. Over all extremely quiet- especially indoors!!

Panorama of our view:



This gives you a sense of what the "straight on" view is from this unit, it is a lake...thus lakeview, but if you are sitting on the couch or on the balcony you can easily see the castle!!



Now we will make our way around the unit counter clockwise from the kitchen area...

This is the kitchen and living area:



The kitchen is well equipped with everything you would need including consumables...such as coffee, dishwashing liquid, paper towels etc. Whether these are offered to folks in their own or rented DVC units, I can't say.

This is the pull out double couch. Note that all of those "ottomans" and benches open for storage...it was great my DD1's roller bag actually could fit inside that ottoman and she could live out of her case without stuff laying around the living room all week.



The other side of the living area and the sleeper chair closed:



I will show it open in the next post;

Behind that shade is the door to the balcony. The wall unit also has several drawers, and DD 2 was able to unpack (which she likes to do) and there was plenty of room for her stuff.

This is the dining area:



That ottoman also opens for storage

Here is the main bedroom with the king:



View of the balcony and office area (yes, DH was working...but just a little bit!!)



This is the bath in the main king room:


Can you spot the hidden Mickey?? Hint: we brought it with us!

Shower in the main king bath:




This is the living area full bath:



Across from that bath is the entry and laundry:



The door you see next to the entry is a closet, perpendicular to that is the connecting door to the other unit- you can see how it is tucked well out of the main living areas, thus we never heard a peep. Additionally, there is a ventilation unit on the wall opposite the closet that runs continuously and this creates some white noise in that area, which would further mask any potential sounds...very well designed!

next up...some views around the BLT and Contemporary and a review (the opinion part!)
familygoboston is offline  
Old 03-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #479
macemc12
Mouseketeer
 
macemc12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by familygoboston
Hi everyone,
First...Doesn't your heart just jump for joy when you see this:

Here is a recent review of our stay at BLT.

Contemporary:

BLT:

Room Selection: we chose a lake view one BR for our family of 4, DH and I (we are not telling!) and DD's 16 and 18. We chose the 1 BR for the kitchen, but mainly for the 2 bathrooms and the sleeper couch and sleeper chair. DD 2 is 5 foot 10 and needs a little more space than sharing a single sofa bed! And with teen girls you can see why we wanted the second bath

We read this thread in its entirety (love this thread!) and determined by looking at the wonderful chart that is linked here that we could score a MK view in a Lake View unit if we requested a unit in the North Tower with an even number (this means asking for units ending in 04, 10, 12). We wanted to be on a floor closer to the "bridge" between Contemporary and BLT on level 5 (goes to level 4 at the Contemporary) so we could walk the stairs rather than always have to wait for the elevator. Requesting the North tower meant we were accepting a longer walk (all the way through the center tower) to get to the walk way, but this seemed worth it to get the MK view. The Lake View is also lovely!!

We paid rack rates because my DH's father was ill and we could not rent points like we usually do, we needed fully refunable. As it turned out he passed in December, but there was so much going on, I was not about to cancel and then search for a last minute rental. The rate was doable because we only stayed 4 nights, splitting the week with 4 days on the west coast visiting my parents (at a rate $o ) in their home.

Photo Tour of the 7710:
The view from our balcony:

This unit is the middle of the 3 1 BR that have a view; the o4 unit will have a much better view of MK, the 12 unit will be much like this but a little further away. You can see the fireworks pretty well, but the castle is far to the naked eye. My DH got some better photos with his telephoto. We could not see the Electric Water parade from this location. While there is a parking lot, tennis court and service area right below us, we did not notice any noise from inside the unit, on the balcony you could hear folks playing tennis, but not their conversations and the occasional car in the parking lot. Over all extremely quiet- especially indoors!!

Panorama of our view:

This gives you a sense of what the "straight on" view is from this unit, it is a lake...thus lakeview, but if you are sitting on the couch or on the balcony you can easily see the castle!!

Now we will make our way around the unit counter clockwise from the kitchen area...

This is the kitchen and living area:

The kitchen is well equipped with everything you would need including consumables...such as coffee, dishwashing liquid, paper towels etc. Whether these are offered to folks in their own or rented DVC units, I can't say.

This is the pull out double couch. Note that all of those "ottomans" and benches open for storage...it was great my DD1's roller bag actually could fit inside that ottoman and she could live out of her case without stuff laying around the living room all week.

The other side of the living area and the sleeper chair closed:

I will show it open in the next post;

Behind that shade is the door to the balcony. The wall unit also has several drawers, and DD 2 was able to unpack (which she likes to do) and there was plenty of room for her stuff.

This is the dining area:

That ottoman also opens for storage

Here is the main bedroom with the king:

View of the balcony and office area (yes, DH was working...but just a little bit!!)

This is the bath in the main king room:

Can you spot the hidden Mickey?? Hint: we brought it with us!

Shower in the main king bath:

This is the living area full bath:

Across from that bath is the entry and laundry:

The door you see next to the entry is a closet, perpendicular to that is the connecting door to the other unit- you can see how it is tucked well out of the main living areas, thus we never heard a peep. Additionally, there is a ventilation unit on the wall opposite the closet that runs continuously and this creates some white noise in that area, which would further mask any potential sounds...very well designed!

next up...some views around the BLT and Contemporary and a review (the opinion part!)
Thanks for the great review and pics! We will be at BLT in a 1BR in 4 days!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
__________________
Me , DH, DD-9 , DD-7

macemc12 is offline  
Old 03-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #480
bigAWL
DIS Veteran
 
bigAWL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The Hague, Netherlands
Posts: 1,704

Quote:
Originally Posted by familygoboston View Post
Photo Tour of the 7710:
The view from our balcony:


This unit is the middle of the 3 1 BR that have a view; the o4 unit will have a much better view of MK, the 12 unit will be much like this but a little further away. You can see the fireworks pretty well, but the castle is far to the naked eye. My DH got some better photos with his telephoto. We could not see the Electric Water parade from this location. While there is a parking lot, tennis court and service area right below us, we did not notice any noise from inside the unit, on the balcony you could hear folks playing tennis, but not their conversations and the occasional car in the parking lot. Over all extremely quiet- especially indoors!!
I believe the 04 units are farther down the hall and farther away from the MK than the 10 and 12 units. So 04 would look more towards the Lake and 12 would have the slightly better view of the MK.
__________________
............... Walt Disney World ............ Disney Cruise Line .................... Disneyland Resort .............. Disneyland Paris

1979 .......... Golf Resort
1984 .......... Hotel Royal Plaza
1989 .......... Offsite?
2007 Jun .................................................. .................................................. ................. Newport Bay Club
2008 May-Jun .. Shades of Green ................. Wonder 4-night Bahamas Double-dip
2009 Jul ...... Shades of Green ................. Magic 7-night E. Caribbean Tortola
2010 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Northern Europe
2010 Dec ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Magic 11-night S. Caribbean Holiday
2011 Jul ........................................ Wonder 7-night Alaska .................... Villas at Grand Californian
2011 Oct ...... Polynesian - AKV Kidani
2012 Jun ...... Bay Lake Tower .................. Fantasy 7-night W. Caribbean
2013 Mar ...... Beach Club Villas - BLT ......... Dream 4/3-night Bahamas Back-to-Back
2014 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Med. Barcelona-Venice

Future Plans:

2015 Jan ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Fantasy 7-night E. Caribbean San Juan
2015 Jun-Jul .................................... Magic 11-night Norwegian Fjords & Iceland
bigAWL is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: