Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 563 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:43 AM   #1951
WDWRids
Ready to go back!!

Headed to the Swan in the morning and so excited. Can someone please remind me the name of the transportation company I need to use? Is it
mears?
Old 02-25-2013, 06:50 AM   #1952
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWRids View Post
Headed to the Swan in the morning and so excited. Can someone please remind me the name of the transportation company I need to use? Is it
mears?
Yes, Mears -- their booth is on the first level at MCO, next to Disney's Magical Express (which of course is Mears too!).

Have a magical time!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2013, 10:40 AM   #1953
MiamiMere
Mouseketeer

How does the visitor parking work at the S&D? My mother-in-law may come over to see the kids while we are staying at the dolphin. Will she have to pay to park?

Also, how strict is the childcare regarding the age 4 requirement? We will be there in May with my 3 year old, he will be turning 4 in August. Will they take him in the club or no go?

Thanks!
Meredith

2013 - Dolphin
2011 - AKL
2001 - Grand Floridian (Executive Disney Program)
1997 - Off-site (Marched in Disney parade)

(7) (3)
Old 02-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #1954
Piglet54
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh2001 View Post
We inspect the room when we arrive -
Check the beds for stains, footprints and bedbugs
We flush the toilet and and run the bathtub to look for clogs
We try the A/C unit, and now the refrigerator in the room.
We open every draw and make sure they are empty.
We try the clock radio and TV.
Even go out to the balcony, check the sliding door and the chairs outside.

If good we then unpack, if not good, no unpacking in anyway.

When we are all done with our inspection, we either go to the front desk with our concerns or call housekeeping for extra towels and thank the front desk for a wonderful room.
Nice checklist! Thanks!
Old 02-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #1955
Inga
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsmum View Post
We are just back from the Dolphin. As you enter the fitness center there is a sign up with rates. I think it was $8/day and then maybe a weekly rate. I did not pay it too much attention, but it was clear that there was some kind of opportunity for nonguest to pay to use the fitness center. I bet you can work something out!
Thanks magsmum, we will definitely check it out. There is nothing like training in an outside pool! Awesome!

Inga
DLCalifornia 00, 09, 11
DL Hong Kong Feb 07
WDW BCV Sept 13
Aulani April and May 2014!
"DVC is you and me!" -Deevy See

Old 02-27-2013, 10:04 PM   #1956
YachtandBeachy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyAddict View Post
I was trying to book March 2-6 2014. The rates at the Swan are reallly high. Don't they come down some for AAA and such?

thanks
Check again!
Old 03-02-2013, 05:21 AM   #1957
Yank
Earning My Ears

I check in with the family the 15th.

I also wanted to know how visitor parking worked. My parents are planning to spend a day with us in Epcot.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:06 AM   #1958
lmminghe
Earning My Ears

Where to find the nurses & teacher discounts

This thread has been great! I am about 40 pages through And have seen reference to both a nurses and teachers discount. We have both in our family and I was hoping someone could tell me where to call to see what the discount would be for our upcoming stay in July? Do you just call the resort 800 number and ask for it? Can it be used in conjunction with a AAA discount?
Old 03-02-2013, 07:26 AM   #1959
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmminghe View Post
This thread has been great! I am about 40 pages through And have seen reference to both a nurses and teachers discount. We have both in our family and I was hoping someone could tell me where to call to see what the discount would be for our upcoming stay in July? Do you just call the resort 800 number and ask for it? Can it be used in conjunction with a AAA discount?
Go to this link: http://www.swandolphin.com/ On the right side of the page (you may need to scroll down a bit), you will see "Special Offers". Click on that and it will bring up several discounts, including teacher, nurse, military.

Click on the discount you want and it will take you to a page where you can put in your dates and check the rates! I believe teacher and nurse rates are the same......... and AAA rates have also been the same the past year or 2.

No, you can not stack discounts, but for the location and accommodations - the Swan/Dolphin is a true bargain!

You can call their reservation number 888-828-8850 and the CM will check for any discounts available for your travel dates.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:47 AM   #1960
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yank View Post
I check in with the family the 15th.

I also wanted to know how visitor parking worked. My parents are planning to spend a day with us in Epcot.
They will have to pay one day parking. $15.

http://www.swandolphin.com/feedback/transportation.html

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Old 03-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #1961
Yank
Earning My Ears

Thank You
Old 03-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #1962
mickey2minnie1
DIS Veteran

I am booked at CSR for 178 a night for everything in June 7 nights before switching to Poly CL for 4. I just joined AAA and can get a basic room at S/D for 225 or 235 everything. I was trying to save because I am splurging on the Poly, but it will be my three kids 16, 13, and 10 and myself.

First WWYD?

Second, aside from bed size and the extra 20 square feet between rooms, how do you decide between S/D? Is there really a difference? I really prefer queens, but will need to do laundry at some point.

Help!
Nov/Dec 2010 5 nights at the Poly with my 3 children
June 2010 3 nights at the Poly w/ DH
Oct/Nov 2009 8 nights at the Poly GVCL
Oct/Nov 2007 9 nights at the Poly

Me DH DS 17 DS 14 DD 12 Sebastian 6
Old 03-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #1963
NightAngelX
Would rather be at WDW

Hi all! I am subbing to this thread. I'm not sure when my next Disney vacation will be. I need to lose some weight first, but I'm being optimistic and hoping to be able to go one of the first 2 weeks in December.

Originally we were just going to do a value unless there was a really good deal (like free dining) and we may upgrade to a mod, but then i decided to check out the Dolphin and Swan. I just love their location and their pricing is similar to a rack rate mod, but double the price of a mod for the quotes I am getting now. I don't know. I explored the site and signed up to be an SPG member. I can also get a discounted AAA membership through my insurance. I haven't done it since we rarely travel but if I can save more money than it costs to get a membership that might be an option as well. I want to be on the lookout for a good deal and thought subscribing to this thread may give me a heads up to discounts. I am trying to be open to all options.

Also I have an odd question. DH loves the monorail but there is no way we can afford to stay in a resort on the monorail. However with Dolphin/Swan being so close to Epcot, how easy/difficult would it be to take a boat to Epcot then hop on the monorail to the MK? Just an idea. He has to be in an ECV for WDW and while buses were very convenient last time they were also a hassle. I just think the boat then monorail may be more 'fun' even if it takes a bit longer but if it takes A LOT longer maybe not. Thoughts?

Then a more mundane question...
When getting quotes I noticed there are 3 'standard' options:
Standard Room
Resort Room
Epcot Room
At first I thought Resort room meant resort view but then there was an Epcot room so I got confused. I am guessing resort room is a view of DHS? Also they only mention the mini-fridge on the Resort room. Do standard rooms have a mini-fridge? We usually only keep waters in the mini fridge. Hopefully we won't have to take DH's medicine on the trip but if we do we will need a fridge for that too so i just want to make sure. I don't think we want to use their pantry service.

Thanks in advance I hope to learn alot.

DH is BELOW GOAL!! I have 6 lbs to go!!!!
Old 03-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #1964
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightAngelX
Hi all! I am subbing to this thread. I'm not sure when my next Disney vacation will be. I need to lose some weight first, but I'm being optimistic and hoping to be able to go one of the first 2 weeks in December.

Originally we were just going to do a value unless there was a really good deal (like free dining) and we may upgrade to a mod, but then i decided to check out the Dolphin and Swan. I just love their location and their pricing is similar to a rack rate mod, but double the price of a mod for the quotes I am getting now. I don't know. I explored the site and signed up to be an SPG member. I can also get a discounted AAA membership through my insurance. I haven't done it since we rarely travel but if I can save more money than it costs to get a membership that might be an option as well. I want to be on the lookout for a good deal and thought subscribing to this thread may give me a heads up to discounts. I am trying to be open to all options.

Also I have an odd question. DH loves the monorail but there is no way we can afford to stay in a resort on the monorail. However with Dolphin/Swan being so close to Epcot, how easy/difficult would it be to take a boat to Epcot then hop on the monorail to the MK? Just an idea. He has to be in an ECV for WDW and while buses were very convenient last time they were also a hassle. I just think the boat then monorail may be more 'fun' even if it takes a bit longer but if it takes A LOT longer maybe not. Thoughts?

Then a more mundane question...
When getting quotes I noticed there are 3 'standard' options:
Standard Room
Resort Room
Epcot Room
At first I thought Resort room meant resort view but then there was an Epcot room so I got confused. I am guessing resort room is a view of DHS? Also they only mention the mini-fridge on the Resort room. Do standard rooms have a mini-fridge? We usually only keep waters in the mini fridge. Hopefully we won't have to take DH's medicine on the trip but if we do we will need a fridge for that too so i just want to make sure. I don't think we want to use their pantry service.

Thanks in advance I hope to learn alot.
The boat to the monorail is doable (we do it at least once a trip ) but it is a long walk from the International Gateway to the front of Epcot, where the monorail is located. It isn't something to do if you have a time constraint, but it is enjoyable. :-). We usually book afternoon tea at the Grand Floridian our first day, so we check into the Dolphin, drop our bags, then take a leisurely trip to the GF via Epcot and the monorail.

All rooms have a mini-fridge. :-)

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
Old 03-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #1965
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey2minnie1 View Post
I am booked at CSR for 178 a night for everything in June 7 nights before switching to Poly CL for 4. I just joined AAA and can get a basic room at S/D for 225 or 235 everything. I was trying to save because I am splurging on the Poly, but it will be my three kids 16, 13, and 10 and myself.

First WWYD?

Second, aside from bed size and the extra 20 square feet between rooms, how do you decide between S/D? Is there really a difference? I really prefer queens, but will need to do laundry at some point.

Help!
That's a tough one. While I'm a HUGE S/D fan, I really do love CSR too. The newly renovated rooms at CSR are gorgeous. So you're looking at CSR being about $329 cheaper overall than S/D. Do you need ME? If so, I'd stick with CSR, airport transportation to S/D will really eat into that $329. The advantage for kids your ages would be the location of S/D. Walking distance to Epcot & DHS, as well as all the Boardwalk activities. I also like the Grotto pool area at S/D better than the mail pool at CSR. Hmmm....I'm not helping, am I??

I never notice a difference in size at all between Swan & Dolphin rooms. I honestly don't notice the difference in bed size either (and I'm used to a king at home). Those darn beds are so scrumptiously amazing you lay down & don't care how big the bed is! I sink in & don't move til morning!

If you have laundry to do then definitely Dolphin. You don't want to be schlepping your dirty (or clean) clothing outside from resort to resort. There is only laundry at Dolphin. The nice thing is that the laundry room is right by Picabu and the pool, so you can throw a load in & hang at one of those places while you wait.

Good luck whatever you choose!

AKL/BWI CL split stay 8/14 Dane's birthday**Poly Girls Trip 5/14**Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: