Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #16
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn the Page View Post
I see your point but I don't think you can compare the two. Yes, 9/11 is much fresher in everyone's consciousness but it was also a terrorist attack. The Titanic disaster, while tragic, was not.
I guess I look at it as a tragedy is a tragedy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn the Page View Post
Places like concentration camps in Europe, Pearl Harbor, battlefields, and some sites of murders (the Lizzie Borden House springs to mind) are now tourist attractions. Many people participate in war reenactments. Some battles saw the deaths of many more than 3,000 people. The Titanic is a part of history and some people really like history.
That is a very good point. On the other hand, those reenactments and tourist attractions are at least meant to educate (less the tacky gift stores at the end).

I don't know. It just seems like a strange thing to replicate.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:58 PM   #17
Kathryn Merteuil
Barden Bella

Has anybody been to that Titanic museum thing in Branson MO or Pigeon Forge TN? I've read about them, sounds pretty cool.
Kathryn Merteuil is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #18
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
I guess I look at it as a tragedy is a tragedy.

That is a very good point. On the other hand, those reenactments and tourist attractions are at least meant to educate (less the tacky gift stores at the end).

I don't know. It just seems like a strange thing to replicate.
I think the differnce is that we've "romanticized" the titanic. the elegance, the band playing to the end, Molly brown taking charge. It's now more of a love story than a tragedy
eliza61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #19
mombrontrent
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl View Post
Yes, I don't believe lighting strikes twice.
Well I know someone who was struck by lightening three times so I bet he would disagree with you!
Old 03-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #20
Squirlz
DIS Veteran

I know nothing about it but if they were to replicate the Titanic it would be an Ocean Liner, not a cruise ship.
Squirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #21
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
I think the differnce is that we've "romanticized" the titanic. the elegance, the band playing to the end, Molly brown taking charge. It's now more of a love story than a tragedy
Good point!
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #22
NewmanFamily6
Mouseketeer

Not just no but H*** no! Sorry but I would be sailing waiting to strike an iceberg planning an exit strategy the whole time. Also, I do not believe that the men would necessarily go down with the ship this day in age. It would be every man, woman, and child for themselves. No thank you!

Next trip: January 2015 @ All Star Sports
NewmanFamily6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #23
Luv0fDisney
DIS Veteran

I would definitely sail on the Titanic. it has updated technology and since they already had one that failed they can improve what failed the last time.
i'm a big titanic geek and would love to sail on one.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #24
kate_wdw
DIS Veteran

Absolutely - that sounds amazing to me!
Old 03-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #25
atomicgirl
Mouseketeer

hmmm.... I see they are putting enough lifeboats on this new one, so I'd probably enjoy sailing on it!! I hope they are not planning on recreating the whole iceberg/evacuation experience!

I wonder how many "king of the world" impressions will be done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn Merteuil View Post
Has anybody been to that Titanic museum thing in Branson MO or Pigeon Forge TN? I've read about them, sounds pretty cool.
I've been to the one in Pigeon Forge, as well as seen a (slightly different) traveling exhibit in St. Pete FL. There's a lot to look at and you can easily spend a couple of hours there. We took a family trip to the one in TN....my kids were 4 & 6 at the time. they didn't entirely understand it, but they loved looking at everything. Also at that museum, they randomly hand out cards - someone who was on the boat. could be 1st class, 3rd class, crew.... at the end, you learn if your person survived the tragedy.

"Faint heart never won fair lady."
atomicgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #26
LongLiveDisney
DIS Veteran

Definitely. I really would love to see it and sail on it. I'm totally fascinated with the Titanic and this would be amazing.

Me DM DF DSis DB
LongLiveDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #27
Turn the Page
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
I blame James Cameron, Leo, and Kate lol.
Turn the Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #28
Tess
DIS Vet - 1997
Still thinking happy little thoughts. . .
The Tag Fairy sees and loves Tess too!

NO! Anyone who says that global warming has diminished the "icebergs" in the northern seas and therefore there is no concern needs their heads examined. Deja vu.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #29
Turn the Page
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicgirl View Post
hmmm.... I see they are putting enough lifeboats on this new one, so I'd probably enjoy sailing on it!! I hope they are not planning on recreating the whole iceberg/evacuation experience!

I wonder how many "king of the world" impressions will be done?

I've been to the one in Pigeon Forge, as well as seen a (slightly different) traveling exhibit in St. Pete FL. There's a lot to look at and you can easily spend a couple of hours there. We took a family trip to the one in TN....my kids were 4 & 6 at the time. they didn't entirely understand it, but they loved looking at everything. Also at that museum, they randomly hand out cards - someone who was on the boat. could be 1st class, 3rd class, crew.... at the end, you learn if your person survived the tragedy.
HAHAHAHA!!! I forgot about that. My mom was Lady Duff Gordon. I asked her if her line of naughty lingerie was still popular with the royals. It took her a few minutes to get it.
Turn the Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #30
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

I think this line from the article:

Quote:
In an odd move, Palmer aims to replicate the class structure of the Titanic – right down to the steerage class inhabited by poor immigrants on their way to a new life in America
Is the one that most has me scratching my head. I can appreciate the beauty of the original ship, and can sort of kind of understand why someone would want to replicate the experience that the upper class people had before the accident, but who, exactly, do they expect to buy steerage tickets?

For example, steerage class passengers on the Titanic were not allowed access to the pool or gymnasium. They shared 2 bathtubs between the 700 of them. They had no sheets or pillows on their beds.

Sounds delightful! Especially if you book on later trips where you're sleeping on the same mattress as a stranger who might have taken 1 bath the whole trip.
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: