Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #151
Art 1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme5kids View Post
Maybe someone will start an online petition demanding that all elected officials, congress, the senate, governors, the President, etc... take a 20% pay cut.

I'd sign it.
It would only be right for them to voluntarily take the same cut.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #152
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Our house is getting the double-whammy, both me and DH will probably be affected. Me definitely, him maybe (we're not sure yet if they are going to cut Mission Essential) We currently have a house in MO that we may not be able to keep up with the payments on if it doesn't rent/sale soon. There's no way we can keep up two houses with us both getting 20% cuts. To make matters worse, if we end up foreclosing on the house in MO, it can affect our security clearances, which could affect us even keeping our jobs.

Scrappy_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #153
afnaechiquita
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy_Tink View Post
Our house is getting the double-whammy, both me and DH will probably be affected. Me definitely, him maybe (we're not sure yet if they are going to cut Mission Essential) We currently have a house in MO that we may not be able to keep up with the payments on if it doesn't rent/sale soon. There's no way we can keep up two houses with us both getting 20% cuts. To make matters worse, if we end up foreclosing on the house in MO, it can affect our security clearances, which could affect us even keeping our jobs.
If you're honest about the reason for foreclosing and the fact that you foreclosed, it should not affect your clearance. You wouldn't be foreclosing because you were living beyond your means, you'd be doing it because circumstances changed.
WDW (off-site) '90 - Caribbean Beach '07 - French Quarter '08 - Riverside '11 - Riverside '12 - Tokyo DisneySea '12 (one-post quick TR here!) - DLR (off-site) '13 - Grand Californian '14 (presidential suite tour here!) - Yacht Club '14
Princess Half Marathoner '11 - '12 - GSC '14 for runGKTW! - training for DLH '14 for SOSC!

afnaechiquita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #154
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Where in Missouri is your rental?
Old 03-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #155
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
Where in Missouri is your rental?
Saint Robert, outside of Fort Leonard Wood. We haven't had it vacant more than 3 months in the last 3 years, but with the economy, I'm afraid it's going to take a hit too.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #156
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Saint Robert, outside of Fort Leonard Wood. We haven't had it vacant more than 3 months in the last 3 years, but with the economy, I'm afraid it's going to take a hit too.
I guess the expansion of the MP training is probably complete there now
Old 03-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #157
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by afnaechiquita View Post
If you're honest about the reason for foreclosing and the fact that you foreclosed, it should not affect your clearance. You wouldn't be foreclosing because you were living beyond your means, you'd be doing it because circumstances changed.
Our Battalion Commander told me the same thing, as it seems like there are so many people in the same boat, as long as you don't file for bankruptcy and show you at least TRIED. We won't have to go as far as bankruptcy if we could foreclose on the house, if it gets that bad. We are definitely going to tighten our belts and try our best to ride out the storm without financial repercussions! I retire in 8 years, and my last security update was just done, so it will be 5 more years until the next one, so I'm not TOO worried, but it's still in the back of my mind and makes me very nervous. Oh, and I'd definitely be honest....lying on your security clearance is a sure way of getting fired!

Old 03-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #158
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
I guess the expansion of the MP training is probably complete there now
I'm not sure, it's been 3 years since we lived there, though the MP "School House" is still there, up and running. I know CID is trying to beef up and are accepting applicants, so there should still be a lot of classes offered, and those are taught mostly by civilians, though there's a lot of green-suiters up there too that will probably take up the slack. I was told that most of the guys that are getting LEAP (special law enforcement pay), probably won't be sequestered.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #159
ChristineNic
Mouseketeer

Quote:
as long as you don't file for bankruptcy and show you at least TRIED.
If your state permits banks to obtain a deficiency judgment after foreclosure, not filing bankruptcy could even be more worrisome regarding keeping a clearance. The bank would be able to obtain a judgment against you for the difference between the mortgage balance and the amount the property sold for at auction. Once they have the judgment, they could garnish wages and hold liens against other property.
ChristineNic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #160
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineNic View Post
If your state permits banks to obtain a deficiency judgment after foreclosure, not filing bankruptcy could even be more worrisome regarding keeping a clearance. The bank would be able to obtain a judgment against you for the difference between the mortgage balance and the amount the property sold for at auction. Once they have the judgment, they could garnish wages and hold liens against other property.
I'm really not sure how that would work? I bought the house when I was single, and never added my DH to the mortgage or any paperwork.....they couldn't garnish his wages, or take any of his property could they...how would they differentiate my property from his? I thought they only took property if you filed for bankruptcy. We are renting here, and don't own any other property. I'm just thinking worse case scenario, it's not something I'm planning or want to do.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #161
ChristineNic
Mouseketeer

Hopefully, it won't come to choosing between foreclosure and bankruptcy. My point was, from a security clearance standpoint, the option that finalizes the issue so you aren't "vulnerable" to outside influences because of financial issues may be the best choice.
ChristineNic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #162
beaucoup
DIS Veteran

HOLY CRAP! I just filled in the furlough calculator his employer sent to figure out what take home pay will be with the 20% pay cut! 22 days of no pay. 22 wks. 11 paychecks. That paycheck is SMALL!!!!!!!!!! OMG! SMALL! WOW!

Thank goodness we have a savings account is all I can say. Going to try real hard to not have to touch it though. WOW!

I'm really thinking no 25th anniversary trip for sure. I don't want to take it from savings.

The 20% cut in gross comes out to a 28% cut in take home for us due to the deductions we have.
beaucoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:12 PM   #163
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaucoup View Post
HOLY CRAP! I just filled in the furlough calculator his employer sent to figure out what take home pay will be with the 20% pay cut! 22 days of no pay. 22 wks. 11 paychecks. That paycheck is SMALL!!!!!!!!!! OMG! SMALL! WOW!

Thank goodness we have a savings account is all I can say. Going to try real hard to not have to touch it though. WOW!

I'm really thinking no 25th anniversary trip for sure. I don't want to take it from savings.

The 20% cut in gross comes out to a 28% cut in take home for us due to the deductions we have.
Exact same reaction we had when we used the calculator. We are going to try our hardest not to touch our savings either. It is for emergencies only, and our fall Disney trip is not an emergency. At this point, I think the only way we do a trip will be if we get free dining, and even that might not be enough.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #164
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaucoup View Post

I've been too scared to check!! We have a non-refundable cruise on DVC points at the end of November....it's all paid for (which thank God includes food!) Hopefully airfare won't be too horrendous. Beenie-Weenies until then!!

Old 03-22-2013, 10:56 PM   #165
beaucoup
DIS Veteran

If we had a mortgage, rent, or any debt to pay back, I would be concerned with the size of the take home. I tend to pay everything with credit card, and pay the card in full when the bill comes in. But sometimes, I charge more than I thought.

While we are on reduced income, I am going to be paying everything with debit or cash, so I have a better handle of our spending. We live frugal already, but I just don't want any credit card bill surprises while this is happening. I don't want to go back to having a balance on the card. Want to make sure I can pay it all still.
beaucoup is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: