Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
Dax
Kind hearted lady who started the DIS Support Group!
Loved by Pugs
Jadzia or Ezri?

Ok dog people, need some advice...Update 4/6/13

I recently got myself further into the local pug rescue here in FL from being a basic volunteer, to being a foster home. Imagine our surprise when our first foster pug, ends up being 2! They are older, we talking 9 and 10. They are also overweight. That we can work with. The biggest issue we have is the female is NOT potty trained. We walk her ALL the time. She thinks going outside is the time for her to look at the grass, the neighbors, the cars...anything but actually potty...she does not even TRY! Lo and behold, we get back in the house, I turn my back for a second, and she poops or pees on the the floor... I do not know what else to try...the male is getting better, but the female...is just not getting it...

Any advice?

Last edited by Dax; 04-06-2013 at 03:02 AM.
Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
crz4mm2
Most of the time I just sit and scratch my head...

Kennel her. Take her out only to potty.
Then back in the kennel.
If you have her out at any other time, she is leashed to you so you can have control.

crz4mm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
Dax
Loved by Pugs
Jadzia or Ezri?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crz4mm2 View Post
Kennel her. Take her out only to potty.
Then back in the kennel.
If you have her out at any other time, she is leashed to you so you can have control.
Well that will not work...she absolutely FREAKS out in a crate...full on panic attack. With her old age and short nose....we cannot have her getting that way...as it is we have her confined to the kitchen behind a gate...

Old 03-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #4
horseshowmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax View Post
Well that will not work...she absolutely FREAKS out in a crate...full on panic attack. With her old age and short nose....we cannot have her getting that way...as it is we have her confined to the kitchen behind a gate...
I understand about the crate situation. My poodle (a rescue from the animal shelter) goes completely crazy in a crate - almost to the point of hyperventilation.

I also foster and have used something like this (not enclosed like a crate) - http://www.amazon.com/Iris-CI-604-In...dog+yard+fence.

You can put her bed in it - just large enough for her (but you can put pads down just in case - just not the scented ones). That may help.

By the way, as long as your rescue has non-profit/charity staturs anything you purchase that is specifically for use with your fostering is deductible (make sure you keep all receipts, etc.). Consult with your tax preparer for specific guidance, of course.
horseshowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #5
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Getting her able to crate train is what you should focus on. Your goal is to get her into a forever home. Most experts are going to tell the new owners to crate her.
It sounds like she needs a really good behaviorist working with her. Is there one your group uses? I did a lot of fostering I always thought will the average owner be able to deal with this? If the answer was no then that's what needed addressed before the dog went into a home
It's going to be tough with her age but her peeing all over and not able to crate ( what If she has to travel, what happens if she needs to stay at the vets? Lots of times crating will come into play)
Need to be addressed.
I would start with a large crate and just getting her into it with the door open. Get her slowly use to a smaller space .
Honestly I think you will need the help of a really good trainer, doing this alone is setting yourself up! Good luck!
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #6
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!

It will take less than a week. Tether her to you while in the house. You have to stay home for that period also. Drag her out every 1/2 hour 45 minutes and when she attempts to do her business inside. She will learn, quickly, the way it needs to be done.

I rescue - it works.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #7
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I recently got myself further into the local pug rescue here in FL from being a basic volunteer, to being a foster home. Imagine our surprise when our first foster pug, ends up being 2! They are older, we talking 9 and 10. They are also overweight. That we can work with. The biggest issue we have is the female is NOT potty trained. We walk her ALL the time. She thinks going outside is the time for her to look at the grass, the neighbors, the cars...anything but actually potty...she does not even TRY! Lo and behold, we get back in the house, I turn my back for a second, and she poops or pees on the the floor... I do not know what else to try...the male is getting better, but the female...is just not getting it...

Any advice?
Since you are walking the dog all the time, make sure you are properly heeling the dog.

What kind of leash are you using? Hopefully you say leather and not a flexi.

A technique I use when walking to force the dog to heel is to loop it around them like a harness. This way the dog is heeling & working the walk and not goofing looking at the neighbors, grass, and cars. However a pug is small and this would be harder to do. Bottom line, heel her correctly.

Secondly when the other dog pees and poops, keep the dog right out right on the spot where the male went. Generally males pee on the females pee outside but maybe this will spark interest for the female.

Pick up dog poop from the female and urine, collect it and put it outside. She needs to get the message across that outside is for pottying. I know that sounds gross but can you get a syringe and literally fill up a bottle with her urine and then put it outside on the grass.

Next you have to correct her in the act. That is a tough one and requires her to be on leash with you right at the moment she begins to squat. You have to stop her and bring her outside immediately. Keep doing that everytime she squats.

The problem with not having her crate trained is that everytime she potties in the house you are starting back at square one. You have to use the enzyme cleaner on her accidents everytime.

Good Luck and have a lot of patience.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
Dax
Loved by Pugs
Jadzia or Ezri?

Ok, some of this stuff I am doing. I have her on a harness with a 4ft lead..not a extender one. She does not even sniff where the other dogs go. She just ignores it. When I try to put her at the spot, she just walks away. So that is not working. I may end up having to seperate them, and send her to another family who can spend all hours of the day with her. I have a full time job as does DH. I already feel like a failure and its only been 3 days. This dog came from an older couple who was sick, and they just let the dogs do whatever, and we think that includes use the house as a toilet. Bella is 10, probably going on 11. She is just very needy and stubborn. You should have seen them at the vet..LOL...I knew this was not going to be easy, but I am starting to think 2 untrained dogs, plus my other 2, plus being pregnant...this pair may just be to much for me...

Old 03-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #9
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Don't get discouraged! Just do the best you can.

Personally, if the dog is freaking out in the crate (as one of mine did, to the point of bloodying herself) I'd forget it. Why add another problem to the mix? The dog is elderly.

I would continue to keep her confined to the kitchen and take her out regularly. I would stay out until she goes, then praise like crazy. Build on that. If there are accidents, say No and take her outside, putting her down where you want her to go. You may have to obviously devote a good amount of time to this. And you can't become stressed about it or the dog will feed off your stress. If she goes in the kitchen, she goes in the kitchen. Look where she came from - you're not going to fix a lifetime of problems in a few days! I do think with patience, understanding and teaching she will eventually get it. But I know it's hard to see it from where you are right now. Be patient. Remember why you did this. And hang in there.

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:58 PM   #10
RNMOM
BLEEDING HEART LIBERAL

I agree using a crate is ideal but what you need to do is greatly limit where she is allowed to potty. That is why the crates are so useful as they usually won't go in there. I would try the open topped crate, or make something similar. Small and contained but still open enough so she is less stressed.

One other thing that might help is to walk her in circles in the yard telling her to 'get busy'. When and if she does praise like crazy. I would refrain from taking her on a pleasure walk until after she has performed her potty like above. This way she should get the message that potty is outdoors and if she is good she gets the pleasure walk. You and she might get a lot of exercise walking in small circles till she gets the idea but she might do better than you think.

The whole idea is to make it very simple and very clear what you expect.

My Irish setter was 17 weeks when we got him and very stubborn in the potty department. After several months of him peeing right behind me just after we came in from outside, where he performed on command, I chased him around the house screaming like a banshee. Really, I had it that day. Then I put him out in the garage till his 'dad' got home. You know what? He never did his business in the house again. By no means am I suggesting you try this method.
RNMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:49 AM   #11
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ok, some of this stuff I am doing. I have her on a harness with a 4ft lead..not a extender one. She does not even sniff where the other dogs go. She just ignores it. When I try to put her at the spot, she just walks away. So that is not working. I may end up having to seperate them, and send her to another family who can spend all hours of the day with her. I have a full time job as does DH. I already feel like a failure and its only been 3 days. This dog came from an older couple who was sick, and they just let the dogs do whatever, and we think that includes use the house as a toilet. Bella is 10, probably going on 11. She is just very needy and stubborn. You should have seen them at the vet..LOL...I knew this was not going to be easy, but I am starting to think 2 untrained dogs, plus my other 2, plus being pregnant...this pair may just be to much for me...
Yep to the bolded. She needs 24/7 watch in order to retrain her. It is OK to say "UNCLE"!!!

A good trainer/foster mommy knows their gut. The sooner the better so she does not get bounced too much.

You are not a failure, you just cannot give this dog what she needs which is 24/7 watch.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #12
binkblum
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaR View Post
It will take less than a week. Tether her to you while in the house. You have to stay home for that period also. Drag her out every 1/2 hour 45 minutes and when she attempts to do her business inside. She will learn, quickly, the way it needs to be done.

I rescue - it works.
I echo this. I have 2 dogs. One rescue, one not. The rescue has crate anxiety so she does not stay in a crate. She did take a little longer to potty train - 2 weeks but taking her out every half hour worked. It was exhausting for all of us but at the end of the day (2 weeks), it worked! Good luck! Keep the faith. Oh - it is important, even if you have a backyard, to take her out on a leash to do her business otherwise, they get distracted. As soon as she does her business, it's back inside! No playing around unfortunately.
binkblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #13
ChitownFamily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
Yep to the bolded. She needs 24/7 watch in order to retrain her. It is OK to say "UNCLE"!!!

A good trainer/foster mommy knows their gut. The sooner the better so she does not get bounced too much.

You are not a failure, you just cannot give this dog what she needs which is 24/7 watch.

Agree with this AND call the rescue. They should have training resources available.
Personally, if one of our foster homes was seeking advice online vs calling our in house dog trainer. i'd be frustrated. We would rather a foster home call 100 times to seek help then do it alone. Please call them, they are there to help.
We all have to start some where, none of us were born experts

ETA: I think what you are trying to do us quite admirable, helping these 2 elder pups, along w your own dogs & being pregnant. Your efforts & willingness to help is definitely applauded.

Cruise March 2013 (RCI-LIberty of the Seas)
11/28/12-12/8/12 art of animation (Nemo)
Spring 04- offsite, Universal/IOA, Discovery, DW
Christmas-New Years 02-offsite (Been there, Done that!)

Last edited by ChitownFamily; 03-03-2013 at 07:20 PM.
ChitownFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:07 AM   #14
Dax
Loved by Pugs
Jadzia or Ezri?

Well we gave it the old college try with Bella, and it was not working. She was getting more and more needy. I managed to get her somewhat potty trained, but she still needed work. I called rescue, and they understood my issue. The decision was made to split up Buddy and Bella, as they did not seem bonded at all, and would have a better chance separated. Bella went to her new foster home on 4/1. The foster mom is a stay at home mom, and her kids aged 4 and 10mo are THRILLED with her. Bella is also doing awesome. Both the rescue coordinator and I think Bella will be adopted by her new foster family. So it worked out for the best. On the plus side, Buddy is also doing great. He has really come out of his shell, he is losing weight, and is now up for adoption as well.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:36 AM   #15
horseshowmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well we gave it the old college try with Bella, and it was not working. She was getting more and more needy. I managed to get her somewhat potty trained, but she still needed work. I called rescue, and they understood my issue. The decision was made to split up Buddy and Bella, as they did not seem bonded at all, and would have a better chance separated. Bella went to her new foster home on 4/1. The foster mom is a stay at home mom, and her kids aged 4 and 10mo are THRILLED with her. Bella is also doing awesome. Both the rescue coordinator and I think Bella will be adopted by her new foster family. So it worked out for the best. On the plus side, Buddy is also doing great. He has really come out of his shell, he is losing weight, and is now up for adoption as well.
Glad to hear things are working out so well for everybody involved.
horseshowmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: