Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #1006
RunningGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
It is only $4.99 right now but I try my best not to pay for books unless I hear that are truly outstanding. I'm just weird that way.
Me too. That's why I check the daily deal on Amazon and B&N every day. (I have an iPad, so I have both Kindle and Nook.) I try to get books from my library, but their ebook collection is pretty small and they don't have many copies of each book. I end up being number 85 on the wait list for 3 copies of a book.
RunningGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #1007
S. C.
Loves to snorkel
Swam with the dolphins
Got soaked on BTMRR
Another tag

Just finished

Deadly Offerings (Deadly Trilogy) [Kindle Edition]
Alexa Grace (Author)
4.5 out of 5 stars See all reviews (1,090 customer reviews)

Anne Mason thinks shell be safe living in the Midwest building a wind farm. She may be dead wrong. Someone is dumping bodies in her corn field and telling Anne they are giftsfor her!

As the body count rises, Anne realizes a cold-blooded serial killer is patiently waiting and watching her every move. And he wont stop until he ends her life. It is clear there are no limits to this killers thirst for revenge or how far he will go to get it.

After a nasty divorce, Anne Mason does not want to get romantically involved, especially with ex-husbands attorney, Michael Brandt.

The ruggedly handsome new County Prosecutor is the last person Anne can trust, but may offer her only chance at survival from a psychopathic killer. But will she survive the passion that rages between them?
..................If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

There's a great big, beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day!

S. C. is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #1008
funkychunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningGirl View Post
Me too. That's why I check the daily deal on Amazon and B&N every day. (I have an iPad, so I have both Kindle and Nook.) I try to get books from my library, but their ebook collection is pretty small and they don't have many copies of each book. I end up being number 85 on the wait list for 3 copies of a book.
Im like you guys! I have bought a grand total of 3 books since I got my tablet (two were 99 cents and one 3.99).

Just finished afraid! It was totally scary! I know I let out a few gasps. NOT a good book to read next to a sleeping baby (who wakes up easy!).

Zombie daycare:
a very weird little book but kinda a quick instering book. I would say a 4ish.
RIP:
guiedo (guiena pig) bluebeard
funkychunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #1009
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

Book #17 Room by Donoghue

Review: This is by far one of the most disturbing books I had ever read made so due to the fact that the narrator is five years old. Basically, the premise is 5-year old Jack and his Ma live in a room with no windows and only a skylight. A man named Old Nick comes in at night and on Sundays, gives them their provisions and takes out the trash. At first the book is confusing until something comes to light.
Jack has never left that room and he and his Ma have been living in 'Room' for five years without ever coming outside.
The book is disturbing because of the fact that the 5-year old narrator tells us the details of how they live every day and how Ma is getting desperate to get out. Jack does a thing brave and beyond his age and they escape however the real challenge is how to deal with a world that you have always thought was fake.
The book is good, there are some aspects that made me feel a little uncomfortable but I think that was a big part of the reading experience of Room.
WowLookAtThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #1010
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Took a two day break but I am back on track
Old 03-03-2013, 06:24 AM   #1011
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by WowLookAtThat View Post
Book #17 Room by Donoghue

Review: This is by far one of the most disturbing books I had ever read made so due to the fact that the narrator is five years old. Basically, the premise is 5-year old Jack and his Ma live in a room with no windows and only a skylight. A man named Old Nick comes in at night and on Sundays, gives them their provisions and takes out the trash. At first the book is confusing until something comes to light.
Jack has never left that room and he and his Ma have been living in 'Room' for five years without ever coming outside.
The book is disturbing because of the fact that the 5-year old narrator tells us the details of how they live every day and how Ma is getting desperate to get out. Jack does a thing brave and beyond his age and they escape however the real challenge is how to deal with a world that you have always thought was fake.
The book is good, there are some aspects that made me feel a little uncomfortable but I think that was a big part of the reading experience of Room.
Well, how did you like it though?

I read this a few years ago and, while disturbing, thought it was one the best books I've ever read. If any book can make me feel disturbed and so bothered, the writer has done a terrific job!! This is a book I would give almost a very perfect rating on. I felt the same way regarding We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:33 AM   #1012
willowsnn3
Tagless but proud

Quote:

I read this a few years ago and, while disturbing, thought it was one the best books I've ever read. If any book can make me feel disturbed and so bothered, the writer has done a terrific job!! This is a book I would give almost a very perfect rating on. I felt the same way regarding We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver.
Not the op, but I read the ROOM last year & thought it was very good. Not a book for everybody tho. Also liked We Need to Talk About Kevin.

Book Challenge Goal 51/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:40 AM   #1013
willowsnn3
Tagless but proud

Goal 72

#16 Defending Jacob by William Landay

Excellent book. Would highly recommend it. I think it has already been reviewed several times so I won't repeat, lol.
My only complaint, lol, was the last name of one of the major characters. Even tho the author put the correct pronunciation there for the reader, I still struggled with the name and of course it was on every page several times.

Book Challenge Goal 51/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #1014
3smithboys
DIS Veteran

Finished books 6 and 7

Book # 6..... a YA book, Will Grayson, Will Grayson byJohn Green and David Levithan - this was good - pretty interesting - some of their other books are better, but a good read - for HS and up - a decent amount of foul language and references - (I would not recommend for my students - too young)

Book #7.....Come Home by Lisa Scottoline - This was was just ok... took me way longer than I thought it would to get through it... I didn't "call me back to read it" like a really good book should.
3smithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #1015
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

# 6 V is for Vengeance by Sue Grafton

From Amazon:
Private detective Kinsey Millhone feels a bit out of place in Nordstrom’s lingerie department, but she’s entirely in her element when she puts a stop to a brazen shoplifting spree. For her trouble she nearly gets run over in the parking lot by one of the fleeing thieves—and later learns that the one who didn’t get away has been found dead in an apparent suicide. But Audrey Vance’s grieving fiancé suspects murder and hires Kinsey to investigate—in a case that will reveal a big story behind a small crime, and lead her into a web that connects a shadowy “private banker,” an angry trophy wife, a spoiled kid with a spiraling addiction, and a brutal killer without a conscience…

I am a big fan of this book series and enjoyed this one as much as the others! I give it a 5!

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 16/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #1016
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Just finished 6 on to 7

The summery of surprise endings by amazon

What do you get when you combine cheerleader tryouts, two dates for the same night, and a fifteen-year-old's yearnings for fun and love?
Christy Miller is determined that things are going to go her way this spring. Her heart is set on becoming a cheerleader, and with all the practice she's put in, she's sure she can pass the tough tryouts. What's even more exciting is that the prom is just around the corner, and Christy gets swept away making plans for her dress, the dinner, and the entire event.

But her dreams turn to bitter disappointment when her parents tell her she won't be allowed to attend the prom, and Christy watches in tears as Todd takes another girl. And all her hard work for a spot on the cheerleading squad can't erase the fact that one of the cheerleaders makes it clear that Christy isn't welcome. Can Christy leave a space in her heart for God to fill, or will she keep looking to others for happiness?

Get acquainted with Christy's friend Sierra by reading all twelve books in the SIERRA JENSEN SERIES, also by Robin Jones Gunn.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #1017
zippitydoo
DIS Veteran

Book 10 of 30: Anne of Green Gables

2014 Book Challenge
Completed 37 of 50:
A Shade of Blood, A Castle of Sand, Takedown Twenty, Louisiana Longshot, Dirty Little Secrets, The One You Love, The One You Fear, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, A Shadow of Light, Hollow City, Room, The Barkeep, A Blaze of Sun, I Think I Love You, Broken, Body Movers, A Gate of Night, Trudge, Soldier On, In Harm’s Way, A Pound of Flesh, Taboo, Hide and Seek, Daddy’s Home, Weddings Can Be Murder, The Undead Heart, Moving Day, Monument 14, Sky on Fire, Savage Drift, NOS4A2
zippitydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #1018
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I thought it was good, I would probably suggest it. In a weird way it reminded me of those YA books I read as a teenager where the heroine was in a bad situation. Room was a little hard to understand because it was from the perspective of the five year old and it took a little while to get what Jack was talking about. Yet, it was interesting to see how other characters acted around him with such a situation.
WowLookAtThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #1019
KrazyPete
skeleton

Goal - 24 books

Book #2 - The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein - For the first half of it I felt like I was reading a self-help book... written by a dog. At its core, its really a family drama and though the ending was cheesy and totally predictable I'm glad I didn't put it down.

I still need to get back on pace to hit my reading goal so I'm following up with another quick one but it's one that I've been looking forward to...

Next up - The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
KrazyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #1020
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Goal 25

Book #4 DONE!

Tell Me Lies
Jennifer Crusie

"Maddie Faraday’s life would be perfect—if it weren’t for

her cheating husband
her suspicious daughter
her gossipy mother
her secretive best friend
her nosy neighbors,
and that guy she lost her virginity to twenty years ago who is suddenly back in town. . . .

Suddenly, life in southern Ohio just got a little more scandalous."

I was not impressed with this one. I love Jennifer crusie, but this book just didn't have the same spunk and humor the other books I have read by her do. It was a little boring and ending was bad... On to the next!
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: