Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #1
lillykat
DIS Veteran

kids meals and substitutions

What is the rule with the kids meals, especially with kids with food allergies. For example the complete meals, can they be altered? I notice that most of the food my DD (5yrs) would eat tend to be on the complete meals but the items listed with it she wouldn't be able to eat, or doesn't eat. So say we go to CRT for dinner. She loves salads (can't have the ranch though), but would want the beef tenderloin, but can't have mashed potatoes or the yogurt, could she have the salad, green beans and the decorate your cupcake? Other places she likes things like drumsticks, chicken fingers or nuggets, steak. She does not eat hamburgers, pasta, and pizza unless it has no cheese on it. At home she is into salads, plain steamed or sauteed veggies in olive oil (asparagus, broccoli, etc) eats mostly gilled chicken or drumsticks, and occassionally steak. And lots of fruits.

She is allergic to milk (can have things it is baked into like a cookie but no veggies in butter, milk to drink, yogurt, cheese etc. She is also allergic to oranges, strawberries, chocolateand shellfish.
May 2013 POR Princess Trip! May 2010 POLY DD#2's 1st birthdaySept 2008 POLY - DD#1's 1st tripApril 2004 - AKL honeymoonJanuary 2002 at AKL
lillykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:20 AM   #2
RachaelA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillykat View Post
What is the rule with the kids meals, especially with kids with food allergies. For example the complete meals, can they be altered? I notice that most of the food my DD (5yrs) would eat tend to be on the complete meals but the items listed with it she wouldn't be able to eat, or doesn't eat. So say we go to CRT for dinner. She loves salads (can't have the ranch though), but would want the beef tenderloin, but can't have mashed potatoes or the yogurt, could she have the salad, green beans and the decorate your cupcake? Other places she likes things like drumsticks, chicken fingers or nuggets, steak. She does not eat hamburgers, pasta, and pizza unless it has no cheese on it. At home she is into salads, plain steamed or sauteed veggies in olive oil (asparagus, broccoli, etc) eats mostly gilled chicken or drumsticks, and occassionally steak. And lots of fruits.

She is allergic to milk (can have things it is baked into like a cookie but no veggies in butter, milk to drink, yogurt, cheese etc. She is also allergic to oranges, strawberries, chocolateand shellfish.
Note her allergy on your reservation and they will have someone come out and talk with you about what they can make that does not have milk.

But if its just because she doesn't like something, I don't know how willing they are going to be to make something different that isn't on the menu.. Substituting sides should be fine. We've never had issues with that before.

Aug 2005 1st Trip Offsite-Jan 2008 Pop-June 2009 AKL CL *Disneymoon!*-May 2010 AKL CL *1st Anniversary*-Dec 2010 Pop - October 2012- First birthday trip and first trip home to BLT! - May 2013- AKV Upcoming Trip: October 2014- BLT *1st and 3rd birthday trip!*
RachaelA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
lillykat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelA View Post
Note her allergy on your reservation and they will have someone come out and talk with you about what they can make that does not have milk.

But if its just because she doesn't like something, I don't know how willing they are going to be to make something different that isn't on the menu.. Substituting sides should be fine. We've never had issues with that before.
She would be more than happy with say the salad on the kid appetizer choices or the rice with one of the other kids entrees, the steak comes with mashed potatoes which she can't (and doesn't like) but loves green beans so that isn't an issue. Just wasn't sure if you could substitute the complete meals or if you had to get them like that. Most of the places seem to have apple slices, veggies, fries or some sort of a potato so as long as we can substitute she will be perfectly fine. She loved steamed veggies so if they could do that she would be perfectly set. They would probably have to do that if they put butter on them anyway. She is a child who will eat plain steamed broccoli and asparagus but not a hamburger. Just the complete meals are somewhat closer to what she eats - but they seem to come with yogurts (can't eat milk) or something like mashed which usually has milk and butter in it which she can't have. If they can do steamed veggies (she will eat pretty much any of them) she will be happy as a clam. I just thought I saw no substitutions on the complete meals and those are closer to her normal foods so I want her to be able to choose those. The sad part is she actually loved the yogurt, etc before the food allergy. The pick your choices tends to be less of what she eats especially bc they have cheese in them (mac with mozz or cheese pizza etc) and she won't want to eat chicken fingers or nuggets at every single meal.
May 2013 POR Princess Trip! May 2010 POLY DD#2's 1st birthdaySept 2008 POLY - DD#1's 1st tripApril 2004 - AKL honeymoonJanuary 2002 at AKL
Old 03-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran

Make sure you note her allergy on the ADR and remind the CM when you get there. Speak with the chef and they will help you.
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
rjb123
Mouseketeer

I asked this same question to the reservation person on the phone. She said to just tell EVERYONE that she has a food allergy and they will send out the chef to work with us. So my DD can't/ won't eat fried things but will do grilled (like grilled chicken nuggets instead of fried, etc). It is really more of an intollerance than allergy- she won't go anaphalactic but will feel rotten. She said that some CM's may not really understand so just say allergy. Good luck! I was super stressed until I spoke with her on the phone.
rjb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #6
Random Ninja
DIS Veteran

I have a dairy allergy, among many others, and find the restaurants to be wonderfull in dealing with them. Make a note on your reservations or ask for a manager at CS restaurants. A chef will be sent out to talk to you at TS restaurants to discuss what her options are and are very willing to modify meals. They also have dairy-free ice cream and cookies at many places.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
lillykat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Ninja View Post
I have a dairy allergy, among many others, and find the restaurants to be wonderfull in dealing with them. Make a note on your reservations or ask for a manager at CS restaurants. A chef will be sent out to talk to you at TS restaurants to discuss what her options are and are very willing to modify meals. They also have dairy-free ice cream and cookies at many places.
Thank you! We are lucky it is an actual confirmed allergy but it is more like a lactose intolerance. But the no chocolate deal is rough for her bc all fun things seem to be ice cream, chocolate and if it isn't either one it is either strawberry or orange flavored. Rough for 5 yr old. I tried to make notes but they don't appear to be showing up on some adrs butbthey are there on others.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:30 PM   #8
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Allergies will be accommodated whenever they can be. The DisABILITIES board has a lot of information on food allergies.

Food preferences unrelated to medical conditions may or may not be accommodated. Different restaurants do things differently.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:25 PM   #9
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

My kids do not have any allergies and I never had any problems doing substitutions for them. The only place that wouldn't let us mix and match from the kids menu was Whispering Canyon Cafe. (Though they have since changed to family style menu, anyway). Everywhere else was extremely accommodating.

SmallWorld71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #10
hildarumpole
DIS Veteran

My kids have never had a problem subbing sides to accomodate their food allergies. Some chefs have even gone the extra step and made something according to their preferences, not just their allergies. That's happened about once a trip. It's not the norm, but a welcome sprinkling of pixie dust. As others have noted, make sure to include the allergies on your ADRs. Also, contact Special Diets. They can take care for forwarding your info to the chefs, so you can be contacted in advance, if necessary.
hildarumpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:16 AM   #11
2girlsR2good
Mouseketeer

My daughter had a milk intolerance that she has now mostly grown out of as long as she doesn't drink a glass of milk or eat ice cream. We never had a problem getting her needs met with substitutions. Just ask--almost every restaurant was able to provide her with a carton of soymilk too, even though it wasn't on the menu. BTW, the ice cream parlor on Main Street serves scoopable Rice Dream--what a neat thing to do and I'm sure Disney doesn't have to. My daughter loved getting a cone just like everyone else instead of having her standard Popsicle.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #12
Random Ninja
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillykat

Thank you! We are lucky it is an actual confirmed allergy but it is more like a lactose intolerance. But the no chocolate deal is rough for her bc all fun things seem to be ice cream, chocolate and if it isn't either one it is either strawberry or orange flavored. Rough for 5 yr old. I tried to make notes but they don't appear to be showing up on some adrs butbthey are there on others.
The notes don't always show up and sometimes don't even make it to the restaurant. I wouldn't worry about it as the chefs are amazing whether or not they get contacted ahead of time. You still should contact Special Diets since your DD has some uncommon allergies.

There are a few nonchocolate deserts. That was actually one of my disappointments from my Nov. trip that non of the TS place I went to had chocolate. I had vanilla tofutti and Enjoy Life sugar or honey graham cookies pretty much everywhere. It took a trip to the Main Street ice cream parlor to find some chocolate ice cream. (They carry vanilla there too.)

Babycakes has a whole bunch of sweets and they list ingredients on their website so you can check ahead of time. If you email them ahead of time, they will do special orders and are absolutely wonderful.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #13
lillykat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Ninja View Post
The notes don't always show up and sometimes don't even make it to the restaurant. I wouldn't worry about it as the chefs are amazing whether or not they get contacted ahead of time. You still should contact Special Diets since your DD has some uncommon allergies.

There are a few nonchocolate deserts. That was actually one of my disappointments from my Nov. trip that non of the TS place I went to had chocolate. I had vanilla tofutti and Enjoy Life sugar or honey graham cookies pretty much everywhere. It took a trip to the Main Street ice cream parlor to find some chocolate ice cream. (They carry vanilla there too.)

Babycakes has a whole bunch of sweets and they list ingredients on their website so you can check ahead of time. If you email them ahead of time, they will do special orders and are absolutely wonderful.
Thank you bc when I look at the menus or read posts it seems everything is chocolate chip, chocolate etc.

I plan to call about 45-30 days before. I don't want to call too early.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #14
jennylyn_b
Disney Fan for Life :)

Since she has allergies you will have no problem getting her steamed veggies and substitutions as needed. They are extremely accommodating. The chef will come talk to you and her and I'm sure you both will be thrilled with the meal he/she will make for your dd.
jennylyn_b is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: