Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
pat fan
I'm leaving now so I don't have to witness what comes next

Tech help...IPhone/IPad internet connection

I am not tech savvy, so I need a little help here. My FIL is in a nursing home. The floor he is on does not have Wi-Fi but we got him an IPad so he can go downstairs and use the WiFi there. A nurse on his floor lets him plug into her IPhone and he can access the internet through her [phone from his room.

How the heck does that work???? And if the IPhone can get internet, why can't the IPad? And is there any way to get internet for his IPad without her phone? (we're not buying him a $600 phone to get internet!).
Thanks!

"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been, never will be."
-- John Wayne
pat fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
dawnhaze
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat fan
I am not tech savvy, so I need a little help here. My FIL is in a nursing home. The floor he is on does not have Wi-Fi but we got him an IPad so he can go downstairs and use the WiFi there. A nurse on his floor lets him plug into her IPhone and he can access the internet through her [phone from his room.

How the heck does that work???? And if the IPhone can get internet, why can't the IPad? And is there any way to get internet for his IPad without her phone? (we're not buying him a $600 phone to get internet!).
Thanks!
The iPhone, like any smartphone, uses a cellular data connection. It doesn't need wifi in the area to connect to the internet because it uses that instead. Most smartphones have a tethering feature, where you can connect it to other devices to use that connection more broadly.

You can get an iPad with cellular data capability as well, but it costs more for the hardware (about $130 more than the wifi-only models) and involves a monthly charge.

Another option, also involving a monthly charge, is a cellular hotspot - a little box that connects to the same cellular data network as a smartphone, but it broadcasts that connection as wifi so that other devices can take advantage of it.

(Exact trip dates a work-in-progress!)
dawnhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
pat fan

Quote:
Another option, also involving a monthly charge, is a cellular hotspot - a little box that connects to the same cellular data network as a smartphone, but it broadcasts that connection as wifi so that other devices can take advantage of it.
How do you get this? Through Verizon or something? Where do you find out about it?

Wish we had known about the IPad capability hardware when we were buying the IPad, would have just gotten that!

"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been, never will be."
-- John Wayne
Old 03-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
dawnhaze
DIS Veteran

Most major cellular carriers have hotspot hardware available. If you're currently a Verizon customer, I'd start with them. I know T-Mobile and Virgin Mobile have inexpensive ones as well.

(Exact trip dates a work-in-progress!)
dawnhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #5
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I believe you have to pay monthly for the cellular connection on the I-Pad.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
pat fan

Quote:
If you're currently a Verizon customer, I'd start with them.
Not sure what the phone service is in the nursing home, but I can ask. It would have to be through them, correct? Not what I have at my own home.

Any ideas of what the monthly charges are?

-- John Wayne
Old 03-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #7
chamonix

Are we there yet?

It's cellular so it doesn't have anything to do with the nursing home's landline service. You can get whatever cellular service is cheapest or works best in that location.
Star Wars Weekends June 2011 Polynesian

December 2010 Beach Club
Star Wars Weekends June 2010 Polynesian
~Tiki fest summer 2009~ Polynesian
Ho’omahana summer 2008 Polynesian
~Tiki fest summer 2007~ March 2007 Polynesian
March 2006 Polynesian
October 2005 Polynesian
October 2004, March 2004 Polynesian
December 2003, December 2002 Polynesian

Disneyland Hotel 2001
chamonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
Best Aunt
"That's the best-est present ever!"

iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
I believe you have to pay monthly for the cellular connection on the I-Pad.
If you bought an iPad that allows cellular service: when your iPad is connected to WiFi, you can sign up for cellular service. You give them your credit card number. A certain amount will be charged to your credit card each month. The dollar amount depends on the amount of data you choose. With Verizon Wireless, $50 gets you 5 GB per month. You can choose more or less. If you don't want your credit card to continue to be charged every month, you have to go back on and cancel.

You can add cellular service and subtract it when you want. For example, I might be fine at home using just WiFi. The day before I go on vacation, I might add the cellular service. When I get home, I might cancel the cellular service. Then I might add it before I go on vacation again. Obviously that's not what OP has in mind for Grandpa, but I thought I would mention it.

If cellular reception isn't great where you are, you want to ask around before you buy. You have to make the Verizon versus AT&T decision before you buy.

When you buy the iPad, you have to choose the model for the cellular carrier you want to use. If you look at a website which sells them, you will see:
- iPad Wifi 16 GB black
- iPad Wifi + Cellular (Verizon) 16 GB black
- iPad Wifi + Cellular (AT&T) 16 GB black
Then more options for other colors and more GB.
And more options depending on whether you want regular size or mini.

Best Aunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
Fire14
Spartan Living in land of Buckeyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat fan View Post
How do you get this? Through Verizon or something? Where do you find out about it?

Wish we had known about the IPad capability hardware when we were buying the IPad, would have just gotten that!
You can get them thru any cell phone company. Mine is thru verzion wireless and called a jetport, I had a mifi in past. There is also a version that you can pay as you go that I've seen at walmart.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #10
clarkshel
DIS Veteran

If you go with the hotspot option. I would make sure he knows not to stream too much video on it. He'll use up his allotted bandwidth fairly quickly if he does this.
clarkshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #11
RitaE
DIS Veteran

Read this article to get an idea of some of the options

http://lifehacker.com/5974761/how-to...rywhere-you-go
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #12
pat fan

Quote:
He'll use up his allotted bandwidth fairly quickly if he does this. - See more at: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post47675079
Do they shut you off if you reach your limit or just let the charges pile up and not tell you (I am guessing it's the latter!)?

-- John Wayne
Old 03-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #13
usd2bmd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat fan View Post
Do they shut you off if you reach your limit or just let the charges pile up and not tell you (I am guessing it's the latter!)?
Most data plans will send a text to the primary line on the account when you are reaching the limit for data. My plan is a text at 65%, then again at 90%, then again when we reach the limit. Then you pay a charge when you go over.

I have never gone over and I also pay for the ability to use my cell as a wifi hot spot, which is what your FIL is doing.
June 2002 - Off-site June 2005 - All-Star Movies Resort** August 2006 - Caribbean Beach Resort**September 2007 - Caribbean Beach Resort**August 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside**August 2009 - Port Orleans Riverside
February 2010 - Caribbean Cruise/Carnival Liberty**August 2011 - Caribbean Cruise Carnival Liberty**August 2013 - Eastern Caribbean Cruise Carnival Dream

usd2bmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:17 AM   #14
Albort
ODV Crew
The challenge is - who can find me?

There is a possibility to bridge the downstairs internet to upstairs... you need to find a place that gets good wifi reception and install another router there to bounce the signal...

but a mifi may be a good idea too...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: