Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #451
cmbpanda
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: london, uk
Posts: 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK

You can request a microwave for your room, but it's not guaranteed and there are microwaves at Contempo Cafe:
Thanks for the info that's really helpful. I don't think we will need one in the room, but its useful to know there is one if we need it
cmbpanda is offline  
Old 03-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #452
cheesemouse
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 727

Any other word on FP+ testing or implementation for CR guests? We leave in 9 (NINE?!?) days and I would LOVE to be selected or allowed to use FP+ for either CS dining or rides/shows/entertainment.
cheesemouse is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #453
psac
DIS Veteran
 
psac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 2,420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsgirl36 View Post
Hi WDWKOOK, I am not sure that info is correct. We stayed on points that we purchased from a friend of ours so when we checked in and received our key to the world card our card had DVC on it. The person who takes you up to the TOTWL said as long as your card has DVC on it you can go up. My husband and nephew went up a couple of times when we were there and were never questioned.
WDWKOOK is right on the rules. Whether or not they enforce it properly is a different story, as is often the case. It should be for DVC members only, but for someone renting I guess it couldn't hurt to try.
__________________
“It's kind of fun to do the impossible.” - Walt Disney
Upcoming BWV Dec'14, BLT Jul'15, BWV/DCL Fantasy Sep'15
Past AKL-K Apr'14, BWV Nov'13, VWL/DCL Fantasy Sep'13, Poly CL Jul'13, AKL CL Apr'13, BWV Nov'12, BC CL Jun'12, BLT Apr'12, BWV Nov'11, CR Jul'11, BWI CL Nov'10, GF CL Apr'10, GF Apr'09, Omni Champ. Apr'07, POR Oct '03
psac is offline  
Old 03-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #454
Leafsgirl36
Leafs Fan Forever
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by psac View Post
WDWKOOK is right on the rules. Whether or not they enforce it properly is a different story, as is often the case. It should be for DVC members only, but for someone renting I guess it couldn't hurt to try.
I think it depends on whether your key to the world card has DVC on it or not, it is shows DVC then you are allowed up.
Leafsgirl36 is offline  
Old 03-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #455
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy
 
WDWKOOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NoVA
Posts: 16,245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsgirl36 View Post
Hi WDWKOOK, I am not sure that info is correct. We stayed on points that we purchased from a friend of ours so when we checked in and received our key to the world card our card had DVC on it. The person who takes you up to the TOTWL said as long as your card has DVC on it you can go up. My husband and nephew went up a couple of times when we were there and were never questioned.
And that's the part I don't understand. I thought that if you rented points then your KTTW card wouldn't have DVC on it, but as a renter you could go up to the TOTWL with the DVC member who rented the points to you. Thanks for letting us know that your card did have DVC on it. Is it because you are a DVC owner? This has always been a confusing issue to me. I may have to go and find the TOTWL by-laws


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryhndmom View Post
See what happens when you haven't had coffee in the a.m. AND you've been home 3 days from CR and the CL and you just want to go back to WDW ? !
No problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbpanda View Post
Thanks for the info that's really helpful. I don't think we will need one in the room, but its useful to know there is one if we need it
You're welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesemouse View Post
Any other word on FP+ testing or implementation for CR guests? We leave in 9 (NINE?!?) days and I would LOVE to be selected or allowed to use FP+ for either CS dining or rides/shows/entertainment.
Maybe someone who is there now will post about this. MAGIC..itis arrived yesterday and was booked in a Deluxe room and was upgraded to a one bedroom GW suite
WDWKOOK is offline  
Old 03-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #456
marybogue
Mouseketeer
 
marybogue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 168

Since the search function is disabled, I can't do a search for DVC/BLT. I am trying to understand when it is worth it to look into renting points or becoming a DVC member? I think I have the two things confused? When I have searched previously for information about renting, (you can rent points to stay at BLT?) I have yet to find a clear, concise explanation of how it works. Can anyone help, please?
__________________
Me - Bogey Granny - Bogey Sr.
DS - Gehrig DD - Mattie

80's & 90's - Poly and Grand Floridian
October 2002 - Bay Hill
May 2013 - The Contemporary
January 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge and Old Key West
marybogue is offline  
Old 03-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #457
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy
 
WDWKOOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NoVA
Posts: 16,245

Quote:
Originally Posted by marybogue View Post
Since the search function is disabled, I can't do a search for DVC/BLT. I am trying to understand when it is worth it to look into renting points or becoming a DVC member? I think I have the two things confused? When I have searched previously for information about renting, (you can rent points to stay at BLT?) I have yet to find a clear, concise explanation of how it works. Can anyone help, please?
Welcome! I am not a DVC owner so I'm going to leave your question to one of our resident experts. But, until then, you can use Google to search and it will list relevant DISboards threads, etc... You probably already know this, but you don't have to be a DVC owner or rent points to stay in a villa. We book a "cash reservation" and apply our (40% military) discount rate to the booking and receive daily housekeeping.
WDWKOOK is offline  
Old 03-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #458
::danielle::
Mouseketeer
 
::danielle::'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by marybogue
Since the search function is disabled, I can't do a search for DVC/BLT. I am trying to understand when it is worth it to look into renting points or becoming a DVC member? I think I have the two things confused? When I have searched previously for information about renting, (you can rent points to stay at BLT?) I have yet to find a clear, concise explanation of how it works. Can anyone help, please?
I'm not an owner, but I play one during my upcoming vacation.

Here's a very brief, simplified explanation. DVC is Disney's version of a timeshare. You buy "points" to stay at your home resort. However, you can use your points to stay at other DVC resorts (with certain limitations that I won't go into on this thread). So to become a member, you must buy a timeshare from DVC.

An alternative is to rent points from an owner. That can be accomplished by a private transaction (via DisBoards DVC Rent/Trade board) or using a third party to broker the deal (David's Rentals is a sponsor here). However, as a renter you do not have all of the privileges of a Member. Visiting TOTWL is an example. Members and guests physically with the member may visit. Renters may not.

There is tons of information with all of the details on the DVC board. I'd advise you to read the stickies. There is a lot of helpful info on there!
__________________


"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, dreams are forever." ~Walt Disney.



Disneyland 2009 (Candy Cane Inn)

Disney World March 2-11 2012 (POP, WBC, POR split stay)

Disney World Dec 14-21 (BLT)

Disney World Solo Trip May 22-25 (POP)

Anxiously Awaiting:
Disneyland June 17-22 (VGC)

Disney World Sept 18-21 (TBD)
::danielle:: is offline  
Old 03-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #459
Leafsgirl36
Leafs Fan Forever
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
And that's the part I don't understand. I thought that if you rented points then your KTTW card wouldn't have DVC on it, but as a renter you could go up to the TOTWL with the DVC member who rented the points to you. Thanks for letting us know that your card did have DVC on it. Is it because you are a DVC owner? This has always been a confusing issue to me. I may have to go and find the TOTWL by-laws
No we are not DVC owners but bought points from a friend of ours, perhaps if you buy points from a friend and not a DVC company that sells points then your card will have DVC on it. Would be interesting to hear from others that purchased points from friends rather then a rental company if their key to the world card had DVC on it.
Leafsgirl36 is offline  
Old 03-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #460
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV
 
AirGoofy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 14,120

Quote:
Originally Posted by marybogue View Post
Since the search function is disabled, I can't do a search for DVC/BLT. I am trying to understand when it is worth it to look into renting points or becoming a DVC member? I think I have the two things confused? When I have searched previously for information about renting, (you can rent points to stay at BLT?) I have yet to find a clear, concise explanation of how it works. Can anyone help, please?
I would have to refer you to another thread for better info, but I'll try to sum it up. To be a DVC Member/owner, you are purchasing a time share and will have a home resort - say BLT. You then can book at BLT 11 months out, or one of 7 other WDW DVC resorts, 2 Atlantic ocean resorts, Grand Californian, and Aulani in Hawaii and whatever future ones are built aat 7 months out. You would have to pay an initial cost for a certain amount of annual points, direct thru Disney or resale market, and have 50 years of vacations and annual fess, managing those points. There are other rules about banking/borrowing points and Use Years to learn.

In renting the points, you are renting them for a one time use from a DVC Member/owner and you get that one year of vacation at whatever price you negotiate and no dues or future obligations.

With either route, you will still need to purchase theme park tickets and meals seperately.

My conclusion - if you (1) can afford it and (2) plan to vacation at WDW in one of 8 resorts on property, at least every other year for the next 40 years, then DVC membership is worth it.
__________________
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2014 DDC Disney World Series Champion
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
AirGoofy is offline  
Old 03-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #461
Gryhndmom
Coast to Coast 2013....PHM and DL Half
 
Gryhndmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
Welcome! I am not a DVC owner so I'm going to leave your question to one of our resident experts. But, until then, you can use Google to search and it will list relevant DISboards threads, etc... You probably already know this, but you don't have to be a DVC owner or rent points to stay in a villa. We book a "cash reservation" and apply our (40% military) discount rate to the booking and receive daily housekeeping.
Kook...assume you are military too ? DH retired AF so good to know there is still a military discount for other WDW resorts if we don't stay at shades of green and/or have used up our DVC points . (since they have indeed done away with the 40% airline discount)

I will have to say after staying at CR on the CL...I really, really, really like BLT and the 1BD villa...so nice to have washer/dryer and...two bathrooms !
__________________
Me DH
my Greyhound kids
Cardinal NattyNovaJessica
Gryhndmom is offline  
Old 03-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #462
honeymo78
Don't dream it, be it
 
honeymo78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ridley Park, PA
Posts: 4,133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsgirl36

No we are not DVC owners but bought points from a friend of ours, perhaps if you buy points from a friend and not a DVC company that sells points then your card will have DVC on it. Would be interesting to hear from others that purchased points from friends rather then a rental company if their key to the world card had DVC on it.
Even when using a company you are still renting from an owner. Disney can't see the difference whether I rent to my best friend or someone from DAvid's. There is zero difference in the reservation.

Technically anyone other than an owner or guests of the owner (all rented/gifted reservations) should not have DVC on the key card. What I think actually happens is that the front desk sees a points reservation and issues the card with DVC on it. There should be a notation that the reservation is for someone other than the member but I don't know if that always appears or even if the front desk looks at it when making keys.

I think this is why the member card is being asked for more often since non members get the DVC notation on their KTTW card. For the record, TOWTL is only for members and any guests accompanying them. DVC on your room key shouldn't be enough to get you access but not every CM asks for the blue member card in addition.
__________________
-Stephanie-
Me stitch eva nala
Past trips: 5/13 BWV, 1/13 Dream and OKW, 9/12 Fantasy, 5/12 BLT, 9/11 BWV, 5/11 VGC, 12/10 BWV, 9/10 Wonder and BLT, 5/10 BWV, 12/09 OKW, 10/09 AKV Conc, 5/09 DL GCH, 12/08 SSR, 10/08 CR MKV, 10/07 CR MKV, 3/07 Pop, 2/06 CR MKV, 10/05 WL, 5/04 WL, 8/03 POR/WL, 8/01 POR Many more since the 80s

honeymo78 is offline  
Old 03-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #463
marybogue
Mouseketeer
 
marybogue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
Welcome! I am not a DVC owner so I'm going to leave your question to one of our resident experts. But, until then, you can use Google to search and it will list relevant DISboards threads, etc... You probably already know this, but you don't have to be a DVC owner or rent points to stay in a villa. We book a "cash reservation" and apply our (40% military) discount rate to the booking and receive daily housekeeping.
Kook, You are a Contemporary master! Thank you for the DVC info, and such a fabulous thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::danielle:: View Post
I'm not an owner, but I play one during my upcoming vacation.

Here's a very brief, simplified explanation. DVC is Disney's version of a timeshare. You buy "points" to stay at your home resort. However, you can use your points to stay at other DVC resorts (with certain limitations that I won't go into on this thread). So to become a member, you must buy a timeshare from DVC.

An alternative is to rent points from an owner. That can be accomplished by a private transaction (via DisBoards DVC Rent/Trade board) or using a third party to broker the deal (David's Rentals is a sponsor here). However, as a renter you do not have all of the privileges of a Member. Visiting TOTWL is an example. Members and guests physically with the member may visit. Renters may not.

There is tons of information with all of the details on the DVC board. I'd advise you to read the stickies. There is a lot of helpful info on there!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoofy View Post
I would have to refer you to another thread for better info, but I'll try to sum it up. To be a DVC Member/owner, you are purchasing a time share and will have a home resort - say BLT. You then can book at BLT 11 months out, or one of 7 other WDW DVC resorts, 2 Atlantic ocean resorts, Grand Californian, and Aulani in Hawaii and whatever future ones are built aat 7 months out. You would have to pay an initial cost for a certain amount of annual points, direct thru Disney or resale market, and have 50 years of vacations and annual fess, managing those points. There are other rules about banking/borrowing points and Use Years to learn.

In renting the points, you are renting them for a one time use from a DVC Member/owner and you get that one year of vacation at whatever price you negotiate and no dues or future obligations.

With either route, you will still need to purchase theme park tickets and meals seperately.

My conclusion - if you (1) can afford it and (2) plan to vacation at WDW in one of 8 resorts on property, at least every other year for the next 40 years, then DVC membership is worth it.
Danielle and AirGoofy, thank you so much! I understand the distinction now. We have a Garden Wing/Garden View room booked for May, but after checking out Dave's website, I am thinking a MK BLT studio would be pretty cool!
__________________
Me - Bogey Granny - Bogey Sr.
DS - Gehrig DD - Mattie

80's & 90's - Poly and Grand Floridian
October 2002 - Bay Hill
May 2013 - The Contemporary
January 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge and Old Key West
marybogue is offline  
Old 03-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #464
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV
 
AirGoofy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 14,120

Quote:
Originally Posted by marybogue View Post
Danielle and AirGoofy, thank you so much! I understand the distinction now. We have a Garden Wing/Garden View room booked for May, but after checking out Dave's website, I am thinking a MK BLT studio would be pretty cool!
Welcome, and glad to help. Do keep in mind that the CR rooms are bigger than the BLT studio rooms, but the 1 BRs and above at BLT are amazing.
__________________
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2014 DDC Disney World Series Champion
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
AirGoofy is offline  
Old 03-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #465
::danielle::
Mouseketeer
 
::danielle::'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by marybogue

Kook, You are a Contemporary master! Thank you for the DVC info, and such a fabulous thread.

Danielle and AirGoofy, thank you so much! I understand the distinction now. We have a Garden Wing/Garden View room booked for May, but after checking out Dave's website, I am thinking a MK BLT studio would be pretty cool!
You're welcome! We're all just paying it forward!




Quote:
Originally Posted by honeymo78
I think this is why the member card is being asked for more often since non members get the DVC notation on their KTTW card. For the record, TOWTL is only for members and any guests accompanying them. DVC on your room key shouldn't be enough to get you access but not every CM asks for the blue member card in addition.
Makes you wonder how the Magic Band will change this practice.
__________________


"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, dreams are forever." ~Walt Disney.



Disneyland 2009 (Candy Cane Inn)

Disney World March 2-11 2012 (POP, WBC, POR split stay)

Disney World Dec 14-21 (BLT)

Disney World Solo Trip May 22-25 (POP)

Anxiously Awaiting:
Disneyland June 17-22 (VGC)

Disney World Sept 18-21 (TBD)
::danielle:: is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: