Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #391
Fivepin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihart View Post
Hey-I am curious about the 1/2 marathon weekend. We are thinking about doing the family 5k next year that is in the early morning same day this cruise leaves, that way my daughter can participate. But how hard core are they about getting you off the course if they think your pace isn't fast enough? My mom has a bad knee, but can still walk at fairly good pace, and wants to do this with us. I am going in search of other RunDisney threads right after I send this. TIA!
I can't speak for the 5K, but I know someone that did it this last weekend and she has a bad knee-she did it in around 1hr 10mins, which is under pace. I know with the half I had the pacer lady on my tail the last 5 miles or so because of my restroom break and stop to put biofreeze on. I know she said once we were in Epcot's parking lot(mile 11.5 or so) we wouldn't be swept-had to be off the main roads, but there were alot of people behind me. don't know if that helps much.

Married at WDW Wedding Pavilion 9/23/95
Cruises: 9/14/2002 1st Disney Cruise West Caribbean; 10/2/2004 Eastern Caribbean; 8/20/2005 14 nite Panama Canal; 9/16/2006 Double Dip with Costa Maya; 5/26/2007 11 nite Mediterranean; 5/1/2008 3 night Wonder Best Friend Cruise; 9/11/2008 3 night Wonder Anniversary Cruise; 10/11/2008 Eastern Caribbean; 11/14/2009 Double Dip;1/21/2010 3 nite Wonder Mini Getaway; 7/6/2010 12 night Northern European Capitals Cruise1/26/2011 Dream MV;7/12/2011 Alaska Cruise;11/17/2011 Dream B2B; 3/31/2012 Fantasy MV; 4/29/2012 15 nite Hawaii Cruise; 7/13/2012 2 night NYC Cruise to Nowhere; 8/10/2012 Double Dip; 9/20/12 3 Nite Anniversary Cruise;11/18/12 3 Nite Vow Renewal Cruise; 1/10/13 3 Nite 1st DVC Member Cruise; 6/23/13 4 nite Dream Cruise; 11/23/13 Thanksgiving on the Fantasy; 1/14/14 3 Nite Magic Cruise in the Royal Suite
Trips to WDW:too many to count

Last edited by Fivepin; 03-02-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Fivepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #392
nannylori
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivepin View Post
Just wanted to share....I just did the Princess Half Marathon on Sunday-got talked into doing this. Understand that I do not run or jog. Haven't really walked the last few months. Basically I went in cold with no training! I did finish it in 3:38:30 a little under the pace of 3:30 they want u to finish in-needed a restroom break! I walked the whole thing and that bling in the end was worth it. I felt a big sense of accomplishment. Never even walked 13.1 miles before. The most 2 5K's on Castaway Aug 2013(way too hot and humid and I live in Florida) and Nov 2013. I came in dead last for both of those!
So, now I'm feeling inspired and signing up for th Tower of Terror 10 miler this year. Will try do some training so I can enjoy everything. I know I live in Florida and don't have to worry about airfare, but I did spend a pretty penny on hotel, expo items, food, etc, but in the end worth it for the first time.
Thank-you so much!!
I can't believe you just up & walked a half marathon!!!!
When I was reading the RunDisney site,I saw they purposely put in a statement saying that if you couldn't keep up a certain pace,they would come along and pick you up! That kinda scared me off. I also wasn't sure if anyone actually walked the half,as I can't run.But now that I know you can walk it,maybe, if I walk more consistently from now till then, I might be able to make it without dragging an oxygen tank behind me......
Your info has really been a help to me, can't thank-you enough!!!!!!!
nannylori is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #393
Fivepin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannylori View Post
Thank-you so much!!
I can't believe you just up & walked a half marathon!!!!
When I was reading the RunDisney site,I saw they purposely put in a statement saying that if you couldn't keep up a certain pace,they would come along and pick you up! That kinda scared me off. I also wasn't sure if anyone actually walked the half,as I can't run.But now that I know you can walk it,maybe, if I walk more consistently from now till then, I might be able to make it without dragging an oxygen tank behind me......
Your info has really been a help to me, can't thank-you enough!!!!!!!
You're welcome and that's why I put it out there. i guess I had more stamina than I thought. I do walk the parks with the kids, but that's not the same.I got very scared about the pace as well, I never timed a one mile walk. The weather helped tremendously as well. We were under a heat advisory, but the sun was behind the clouds most of the time.
I saw the sweeper buses along the way. The pacing lady is very encouraging and I think that helped too. I want to enjoy it next year and stop for all the different photo ops, so I will try to jog a little.

Married at WDW Wedding Pavilion 9/23/95
Cruises: 9/14/2002 1st Disney Cruise West Caribbean; 10/2/2004 Eastern Caribbean; 8/20/2005 14 nite Panama Canal; 9/16/2006 Double Dip with Costa Maya; 5/26/2007 11 nite Mediterranean; 5/1/2008 3 night Wonder Best Friend Cruise; 9/11/2008 3 night Wonder Anniversary Cruise; 10/11/2008 Eastern Caribbean; 11/14/2009 Double Dip;1/21/2010 3 nite Wonder Mini Getaway; 7/6/2010 12 night Northern European Capitals Cruise1/26/2011 Dream MV;7/12/2011 Alaska Cruise;11/17/2011 Dream B2B; 3/31/2012 Fantasy MV; 4/29/2012 15 nite Hawaii Cruise; 7/13/2012 2 night NYC Cruise to Nowhere; 8/10/2012 Double Dip; 9/20/12 3 Nite Anniversary Cruise;11/18/12 3 Nite Vow Renewal Cruise; 1/10/13 3 Nite 1st DVC Member Cruise; 6/23/13 4 nite Dream Cruise; 11/23/13 Thanksgiving on the Fantasy; 1/14/14 3 Nite Magic Cruise in the Royal Suite
Trips to WDW:too many to count
Fivepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #394
Kristen K
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I saw the sweeper buses along the way. The pacing lady is very encouraging and I think that helped too. I want to enjoy it next year and stop for all the different photo ops, so I will try to jog a little.
You walk quick! I'm just under a 20 minute per mile pace right now. I've walked two of the runDisney 5K's and they don't really sweep those, but I have had walking friends swept form the 1/2 Marathons. My daughter and I just started training to walk next year's Princess 1/2, the race is Sunday and we're booked on DCL Monday! I can't wait! I've been trying to decided if I'll still have enough in me to walk the CC5K on Wednesday. More bling is a good thing, right?
Kristen K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #395
FIREFIGHTERMICKEY
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannylori

I'm totally getting ahead of myself here,because I don't even know if I'll be upright coming across the finish line, on the 15th,BUT, I was actually looking at the RunDisney 5k the weekend of Nov. 9th. When you factor in the hotel stay and a 3 or 4 day WDW pass,it comes to some big bucks to run a 5k.
If someone has done one of these before and thinks it's a once in a lifetime experience, I may become more serious about it.
I do think it would be an amazing experience,but, it would be expensive,so I just don't know.
What's making this a decision that needs to be done soon is------ the WDW prices will be going up soon,so getting tickets now for future use,will save some money.........
I ran the 2011 Sisneywine and dine half marathon and it was amazing!! I am running the 2013 Tower of Terror 10 miler. Some fun races! The 5k runs are fun but if you are. Physically able train for a 10 miler or half and I promise you'll have so many wonderful memories!
Old 03-05-2013, 02:19 PM   #396
Blondie1973
Mouseketeer

Haven't caught up in the thread. Just did the Castaway Cay 5K last October and have the shirt to prove it

I wish they did something similar on all their cruises but understand why its not done yet.

I've also done the Disneyland 5K and Half Marathon and signed up to do it again in September.
Blondie1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #397
Kristen K
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I know she said once we were in Epcot's parking lot(mile 11.5 or so) we wouldn't be swept-had to be off the main roads, but there were alot of people behind me. don't know if that helps much.
So much love to you for sharing this! Thank you!
Old 03-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #398
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen K View Post
You walk quick! I'm just under a 20 minute per mile pace right now. I've walked two of the runDisney 5K's and they don't really sweep those, but I have had walking friends swept form the 1/2 Marathons. My daughter and I just started training to walk next year's Princess 1/2, the race is Sunday and we're booked on DCL Monday! I can't wait! I've been trying to decided if I'll still have enough in me to walk the CC5K on Wednesday. More bling is a good thing, right?
Might be a good way to stretch out a few days after the half.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #399
nannylori
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREFIGHTERMICKEY View Post
I ran the 2011 Sisneywine and dine half marathon and it was amazing!! I am running the 2013 Tower of Terror 10 miler. Some fun races! The 5k runs are fun but if you are. Physically able train for a 10 miler or half and I promise you'll have so many wonderful memories!
I'm pretty sure the wine/dine festival is the 5k I've been looking at in November. Haven't been to WDW in over 10 years,so to go when there's even MORE going on,is pretty tempting. I still can't believe you walked some of the half. It seems so far.

I come from a family of triathaletes/runners,so I get very biased encouragement,as this type of activity comes easier to them.
It's the REAL people I need to talk to,so thank-you for a realistic overview of 5k's/half marathons.

Here in the Keys,we have lots of runs,but the BIG one is the 7 Mile Bridge Run. It's pounded into ones' head at an early age, that you NEVER want to get picked up by the school bus. The Bridge re-opens at exactly 90 minutes after the run,so if you're even one second over,the dreaded bus gets you. It's preferable to throw yourself off the bridge than suffer the embarrassment of a bus pick-up. So I've never had the guts to even try it.
So when I saw the statement on RunDisney concerning pacing,all sorts of flags and bells went off in my head. Just how embarrassing is it to be "swept away" in that environment? Is it a kinder,gentler atmosphere?????
I'd think about fast walking(for me), the half,if the aftermath of not keeping pace isn't too brutal.......

I should probably just concentrate on finishing the CC 5k for now
Old 03-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #400
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I started thinking about that too, nannylori, and considering how good Disney generally is about things, I bet they would make being swept fun.

And I realized...even if a person IS swept, they are still further along than someone who didn't make the attempt!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:48 PM   #401
nannylori
Mouseketeer

That's really true,isn't it?
It's all about the journey.
Those are the kind of thoughts that are great to read!
You're right, that it would certainly be against everything that's Disney to make someone feel bad.
I guess it's time to work as hard on thinking positive as I do on walking...

Wish I could have all of you waiting at that finish line.........
Old 03-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #402
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

We left WDW on the morning of the Princess 1/2 marathon to head to the ship for our cruise (Feb 24). At dinner that night we found out one of our tablemates ran the race that morning and then got onboard. She was quite tired and had to leave dinner early but she was very excited about the race!!

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #403
nannylori
Mouseketeer

I'm looking at this in steps,so as not to feel overwhelmed by too much too soon.

The fact that I was able to start AND finish the Key West 5k, has led to my confidence that I can finish the CC 5k. Then, after a few more 5k's (thinking about the RunDisney food/wine festival 5k in November), I'm hoping I'll be able to walk a half marathon and since I've been reading so much about the Princess one,I think I might make that one my inaugural half marathon.I want to be able to finish it in a time that's not incredibly embarrassing.

Just not sure what year that will be in...but it's a goal....can't think of anything cooler than walking through WDW at night.......: characters cheering you on........:yes::
Old 03-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #404
Kristen K
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannylori View Post
if you're even one second over,the dreaded bus gets you. It's preferable to throw yourself off the bridge than suffer the embarrassment of a bus pick-up. So I've never had the guts to even try it.
<clip> Is it a kinder,gentler atmosphere?????
YES! Kinder, gentler and magical. I can tell you from personal experience with people I was coaching last year at the 5K's that I have seen Disney give golf cart rides to people struggling in the very back rides up the course a bit and drop them off again to give them a bit of a boost in getting to the end. When the route goes through Epcot they close part of an out and back down at a certain point giving the people in the very back of the back a shorter course to complete. Everyone gets to cross that finish line and have a medal put around their neck. :-) It's kinder, gentler and MUCH more supportive.

It is a little stricter with the Halfs because they are on the roads, but this is Disney, it's not about shaming the penguins. I've had friends who have been swept, and all of them have said that it was a supportive environment. Plus, when they stepped out of the van, there were people there to put a medal around their neck too. Though there are plenty of elites on the course setting records and winning cash prizes, runDisney is about getting out there and having fun, about trying your best and loving the journey. No worries about having to dive off a bridge.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #405
Linden Lady
Mouseketeer

I did the WDW half in January and then went back 4 weeks later for the Princess half! I'm not a "runner" but I trained for 6 mos and I'm so glad I did! My finish time wasn't great but it's all about the experience. I stopped numerous times for photo ops and potty breaks.
Now I'm addicted to RunDisney and I'm going to DL in August to earn my Coast to Coast medal! I did the Castaway Cay 5k in January. No medal but it was still fun and I highly recommend it. No time limit. Lots of different ppl all going at their own pace.
Linden Lady is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: