DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #31
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
Or anything else to draw people. I would have never thought that it would be hard to get a room over Marathon weekend in January - who knew there were that many Disney/DVC runners. ...
30,000 this past January.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #32
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
I don't really understand why we have different point seasons. Why not make all dates the same, when the place is booked, it's booked.

Bill
They don't have too and it's true that the system is self leveling to a degree and thus all points will be used or lost. However, DVCMC has the responsibility for managing the resorts for the benefit of the members as a whole which means allocating points in such as way as to level demand somewhat. A system that is too far out of balance creates far more phone calls and far less members satisfaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc2003 View Post
That sort of makes my point. If people prefer October to late April, why isn't April priced accordingly?
None of us can speak for DVD/DVC but my take is that the seasons are based on the demand and usage from the late 80's and very early 90's and there have been only minor changes since. IMO, DVCMC should/must adjust to even out demand but they also don't want to micromanage the issue, it's a balance that will never be perfect.

For some reason I'm having trouble copying quotes to combine them so I'll address some of the other issues here. DVD/DVC/DVCMC have no risk from a credible law suit or any significant risk from real complaints if they do what I just mentioned above. That's not to say no one will complain but it's not significant or long lasting. I'll say again as I've said many times before, what the sales people told anyone that isn't in writing has NO meaning whatsoever and provides no real risk of legal proceedings.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #33
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
They don't have too and it's true that the system is self leveling to a degree and thus all points will be used or lost. However, DVCMC has the responsibility for managing the resorts for the benefit of the members as a whole which means allocating points in such as way as to level demand somewhat. A system that is too far out of balance creates far more phone calls and far less members satisfaction.

None of us can speak for DVD/DVC but my take is that the seasons are based on the demand and usage from the late 80's and very early 90's and there have been only minor changes since. IMO, DVCMC should/must adjust to even out demand but they also don't want to micromanage the issue, it's a balance that will never be perfect.

For some reason I'm having trouble copying quotes to combine them so I'll address some of the other issues here. DVD/DVC/DVCMC have no risk from a credible law suit or any significant risk from real complaints if they do what I just mentioned above. That's not to say no one will complain but it's not significant or long lasting. I'll say again as I've said many times before, what the sales people told anyone that isn't in writing has NO meaning whatsoever and provides no real risk of legal proceedings.
Anyone can sue for anything, and nuisance suits are a huge problem for Disney - and most major corporations. Make enough people angry and you'll have a lot of them.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:56 AM   #34
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Originally Posted by disneynutz
I don't really understand why we have different point seasons. Why not make all dates the same, when the place is booked, it's booked.

Quote:
It still seems to me that the issue of seasons is complex and not perfect and the benefit isn't clear cut. Owners with points to burn get to stay during the popular high point seasons and owners with less points have to stay in a smaller room and/or during a cheaper season.

Is it possible that DVCMC creates the higher point seasons and increases the required points at resorts like THV to cause people to buy more points and increase sales? After one of the reallocations when owners came up short points they started the one time use buy points program. Since those are developer points I'm guessing that the proceeds go back to Disney.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:47 AM   #35
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

Yes, it seems to be working OK in IE, but it won't work in Google Chrome. The search function has also been down for a few days. They are working on it.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:05 AM   #36
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
Anyone can sue for anything, and nuisance suits are a huge problem for Disney - and most major corporations. Make enough people angry and you'll have a lot of them.
Sure but Disney doesn't worry much about those type because they can't control them. They're like the performer who's lawyer got a call from the lawyer of someone who attended a show and stated they were going to sue because their smoke effects caused a respiratory issue and put the man in the hospital. The performer's response was that the man should stay away from cool mist humidiers in the future so bring it on.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:13 AM   #37
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
Originally Posted by disneynutz

It still seems to me that the issue of seasons is complex and not perfect and the benefit isn't clear cut. Owners with points to burn get to stay during the popular high point seasons and owners with less points have to stay in a smaller room and/or during a cheaper season.

Is it possible that DVCMC creates the higher point seasons and increases the required points at resorts like THV to cause people to buy more points and increase sales? After one of the reallocations when owners came up short points they started the one time use buy points program. Since those are developer points I'm guessing that the proceeds go back to Disney.

Bill
There really are 2 ares of issue as I see it. One is sales. If a potential buyer is looking at DVC and all the points are the same, they correctly realize they'll never get the popular times and thus sales are less. That's one of the benefits of the points system, you can sell every point like it's the most prime week in the system but in reality only a few people can stay there. It also helps you sell more points to those that can afford it and will use them and less to others.

The other side is as I noted and related to management/usage. A system that's not balanced will create far more calls for a number of reasons and far less satisfaction and thus more complaints because everyone can't get what they want and "were promised by their guide".

While it's possible to manipulate the points charts to encourage some to buy more points, I don't think there's enough potential benefit for sales to justify the cost/aggravation of it. You'd have to be pretty out there conspiracy wise I believe to truly believe this. IMO THV should have been it's own separate resort and not part of SSR but I see it from sides as I do this point as well.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #38
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
Yes, it seems to be working OK in IE, but it won't work in Google Chrome. The search function has also been down for a few days. They are working on it.
It worked the first time last night but not the second 1-2 minutes later or this morning. I'm on Safari on the Mac. Here's what it puts when copy a post.

- See more at: http://www.disboards.com/newreply.ph....GnpIOpNW.dpuf
Old 03-02-2013, 07:28 AM   #39
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
It worked the first time last night but not the second 1-2 minutes later or this morning. I'm on Safari on the Mac. Here's what it puts when copy a post.

- See more at: http://www.disboards.com/newreply.ph....GnpIOpNW.dpuf
That is what chrome (on a Windows machine) is copy & pasting as well. But my IE seems to be working OK. It copies the location of the text, but not the text itself.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: