Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #16
pansmermaidzlagoon
Mickey asks that you not advise screwing things into his head

Disney responded to Markey: (a Senator who took issue after the NY Times article.....)

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...rns-86828.html
'11 WONDER Alaska Cruise: '13 WILDERNESS LODGE
pansmermaidzlagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:29 AM   #17
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pansmermaidzlagoon View Post
Disney responded to Markey: (a Senator who took issue after the NY Times article.....)

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...rns-86828.html
~Yay, for Team Iger! That "inquiry" was pure BS! They lost me when they asked -- whether or not *lines* will get longer because of Magic Bands! I don't blame Disney one bit, if they made this "pay to play", now that Congress wants to get all involved.

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #18
HNW999
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotBill
I am looking forward to all the potential tie-ins. We already know there will be charm bracelet like add ons. How about:

MagicBandTinFoilMickeyHat (for those with RFID privacy concerns)
MagicBandUnderwear (to soak up the sweat under that thick MagicBand)
MagicBandFebreeze (freshen up that stinky band after a few days)
iMagicBand (iPod interface)
MagicBandHealthAlert (monitors blood pressure and reminds you to take
your vitamins)
MagicBandBlueTooth (get status updates from your band in your ear
only available in Stitch voice)
LoL
HNW999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #19
buzznina
DIS Veteran

Location: The White Sugar Beaches of the Florida Panhandle, Destin area. 7 hours away from the Magic Place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11290 View Post
Actually, there are more CM's working the "new" turnstiles (touch pads) than were working the same amount of the "old" turnstiles, at least in MK. Won't really change much in other areas either. FP will still have to have CM's at kiosks to deal with the people that don't have the "magic Band" and will be using the regular tickets that will have issues.
That's just temporary for training, once the training is over the CM I talked to thinks it will be 1 CM per 3 or 4 new turnstile. So it will be less CM's manning them.

DW DH DD(10) DD(5)

AKL-SV(2), POLY, GF(CL), CR, POFQ(4), POR(6)(RGR(2)), CSR(10), CBR, FW CABINS, BW, POP(3), ASMU(2), ASSP, ASMO and DLH
buzznina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:15 PM   #20
Q-man
DIS Veteran

How do they verify the correct person is wearing the RFID on entry? I assume they've got a verification procedure but invisible unlike the present biometric finger scan?
Q-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:56 PM   #21
linzbear
Flirts with Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-man
How do they verify the correct person is wearing the RFID on entry? I assume they've got a verification procedure but invisible unlike the present biometric finger scan?
There are biometric finger scans at the RFID entry pokes.
04/92 - CBR | 03/94 - Offsite | 03/03 - VWL | 05/05 - BWV | 05/06 - DLR | 12/06 - VWL | 04/07 - BCV | 10/07 - OKW/AKV | 12/07 - VWL | 09/08 - OKW | 10/09 - AKV | 11/10 - AKV/VWL | 10/11 - BLT/Swan | 5/13 - VWL
Planned:
11/14 - AKV
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:45 PM   #22
Q-man
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by linzbear View Post
There are biometric finger scans at the RFID entry pokes.
I hadn't seen a closeup picture to see the finger scanner. So, the RFiD entrance isn't much faster than scanning a ticket?

EDIT: Never mind. I see were there are 3 or 4 of the RFid scanners in place of every turnstile.

Last edited by Q-man; 01-31-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Q-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:50 PM   #23
thegib95
Mouseketeer

Talking

So I personally am excited for the change, I know it made it a million times easier to use the RF room key this past trip, and am excited to see what all will come with the MyMagic+ and hope I get to use a Magic Band in December!

Me DW DD (1.4.11)

Trips: 1982: Mom's Belly | 1992-CB | 1997-PO | 1998-BWV | Summer 1999-BWV | Christmas 1999- BWV | Summer 2001-BW | Summer 2002-YC | Spring 2005-BCV | March 2010- POFQ
September 2012 -- BCV |December 2013-AKL |September 2014-AKL

thegib95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #24
DLFan123
living the dream-literally!

I am just getting caught up on the RFID thing. Saw a pic on a different thread of a kid wearing a rubber bracelet. So is WDW already using this? I am not concerned about my privacy. They can know what I eat, what attractions I ride, when I stop to use the bathroom, I don't care. What I don't like is the thought of having to be connected to technology in order to enjoy the theme parks. When we go to WDW now, we hardly look at our cell phones (we never bring both into the parks but have started bringing one although not eagerly). We don't have smart phones and don't want them. Besides that, I really don't want to plan 6 months in advance the exact day and time I plan to ride Space Mountain! It sounds just awful to me. The ADR business is just out of control, and when we get to WDW, what we want to eat is often very different from where our schedule says we have to eat. It's just food, so I can handle it. But to take the spontaneity out of experiencing my favorite attractions actually makes me pretty crazy. I doubt Walt would approve of this. I understand the goal is to use the most advanced technology available, but I am very skeptical about how this will work out. I seriously don't want to book my attractions in advance or find that I am a step behind 40,000 other people at realizing an attraction has a low wait time, simply because I wasn't online on my smartphone, but instead was enjoying the parks and my time with my family. This says nothing of what this will do for guests who decide to spontaneously visit the parks or for park novices, who already have a tough time figuring out the best way to "do Disney." Not everyone can plan for months in advance, and many people don't want to. The planners out there already plan, have the touring plan itinerary in their pockets and know all the secrets. Ok enough of my rant. I hope they do a trial of this and it fails.

Quick walks through turnstyles versus ticket taking, fine with me. The rest of it, not so much.
DLFan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:40 PM   #25
lonestardisney
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLFan123 View Post
I am just getting caught up on the RFID thing. Saw a pic on a different thread of a kid wearing a rubber bracelet. So is WDW already using this? I am not concerned about my privacy. They can know what I eat, what attractions I ride, when I stop to use the bathroom, I don't care. What I don't like is the thought of having to be connected to technology in order to enjoy the theme parks. When we go to WDW now, we hardly look at our cell phones (we never bring both into the parks but have started bringing one although not eagerly). We don't have smart phones and don't want them. Besides that, I really don't want to plan 6 months in advance the exact day and time I plan to ride Space Mountain! It sounds just awful to me. The ADR business is just out of control, and when we get to WDW, what we want to eat is often very different from where our schedule says we have to eat. It's just food, so I can handle it. But to take the spontaneity out of experiencing my favorite attractions actually makes me pretty crazy. I doubt Walt would approve of this. I understand the goal is to use the most advanced technology available, but I am very skeptical about how this will work out. I seriously don't want to book my attractions in advance or find that I am a step behind 40,000 other people at realizing an attraction has a low wait time, simply because I wasn't online on my smartphone, but instead was enjoying the parks and my time with my family. This says nothing of what this will do for guests who decide to spontaneously visit the parks or for park novices, who already have a tough time figuring out the best way to "do Disney." Not everyone can plan for months in advance, and many people don't want to. The planners out there already plan, have the touring plan itinerary in their pockets and know all the secrets. Ok enough of my rant. I hope they do a trial of this and it fails.

Quick walks through turnstyles versus ticket taking, fine with me. The rest of it, not so much.
No worries, DLFan123, you'll be able to use the MagicBand as simply as the current Key To The World cards. As basic room key, park tickets, and room charge!
Old 03-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #26
DLFan123
living the dream-literally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestardisney View Post
No worries, DLFan123, you'll be able to use the MagicBand as simply as the current Key To The World cards. As basic room key, park tickets, and room charge!
I am starting to chill out a little bit regarding this new technology. However, here is another concern I have. We were Premier passholders last year, and plan to be this year. We have the current Premium DL pass (but we live in Colorado). When we arrive at WDW in May, we plan to upgrade to the Premier pass (the price difference is $200 more than what we have already paid for our Premier pass). So if they roll out the FP+ prior to our trip, it seems to me we won't be able to register for FP+ attractions prior to our arrival at WDW, since we won't actually have our park tickets (ie Premier pass) until then. Does anybody know how WDW might handle this? It doesn't seem fair, especially since it is impossible to upgrade our Premium pass to a Premier pass until we arrive. (You must purchase or upgrade to the Premier pass at a Guest Relations ticket window and cannot do it over the phone, via mail, or on the internet-I have no idea why the Disney parks handle it this way!)
DLFan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #27
3happydancers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combos View Post
I'd imagine "mall-like" kiosks, with the Disney flavor
To me, if this is indeed what Disney has planned, is just another line I'd have to stand on. I know many are onboard with the magic band, but I cannot be until I see exactly how this all plays out. So far, I don't see this to be a "plus" for my family.

2006, '07, '08 POFQ
2009 Saratoga Springs/POFQ
2010 Animal Kingdom Kidani Village
3happydancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #28
RachelInWonderland
Earning My Ears

I love most everything about the magic bands and next gen technology except for FPP. The current FP system wasn't broken . . . why try to fix it? Plus in one day you can easily get up to 6 FPs to use, but it looks like they're only looking at 3-4 per day, which is disappointing. Of course, all it'll do is change the way that we plan, and for us good planners, we can esily find our way around these changes. I also don't like the emphasis on smart phones when not everyone has a smart phone. A lot of people save up for years for a disney trip and don't spend any extra on smart phones or things like that. I feel like it'll also create some sort of hierarchy among the guests - those with MyMagic+ and those without. I've never liked the whole ADR system of 180 days out because there's really only a certain group of people that like planning things out that far in advance, and it's pretty frustrating for those that don't. There's an even smaller group of people that wants to plan out their rides this early! Everything you need put into one wristband that you just tap for everything seems really really cool though. Too bad FPP has to come with it, though.

Third Trip to Walt Disney World - January 2007 at 9 Years Old Fourth Trip to Walt Disney World (aka the trip when my obsession came into full bloom!) - January 2009 at 11 Years Old

Fifth Trip to Walt Disne
y World (first trip I helped plan) - July 2011 at 13 Years Old Sixth and Most Recent Trip to Walt Disney World - January 2013 at 15 Years Old! (trip report forthcoming)
RachelInWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #29
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelInWonderland
I love most everything about the magic bands and next gen technology except for FPP. The current FP system wasn't broken . . . why try to fix it? Plus in one day you can easily get up to 6 FPs to use, but it looks like they're only looking at 3-4 per day, which is disappointing. Of course, all it'll do is change the way that we plan, and for us good planners, we can esily find our way around these changes. I also don't like the emphasis on smart phones when not everyone has a smart phone. A lot of people save up for years for a disney trip and don't spend any extra on smart phones or things like that. I feel like it'll also create some sort of hierarchy among the guests - those with MyMagic+ and those without. I've never liked the whole ADR system of 180 days out because there's really only a certain group of people that like planning things out that far in advance, and it's pretty frustrating for those that don't. There's an even smaller group of people that wants to plan out their rides this early! Everything you need put into one wristband that you just tap for everything seems really really cool though. Too bad FPP has to come with it, though.
4 FP freebies. Bet you can get more ..... For a small fee
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #30
KitKat_Tink
Dude
Would make a great Alice in Wonderland

Eventually they are going to phase out normal tickets (apparently this is a rumor by management) the magicband gets you more fast passes. The higher up resort you are staying at the more fast passes you get, which I think isn't that fair.

DCP CM Spring 2013 TLT dessert party

KitKat_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: