Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #16
n8nally
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
I get that. But DCL (or any entity) can set the rules for their game. They don't have to explain them. If you don't want to play by the rules, you don't play.

I'm guessing it's a bit because they want you to buy their stuff. And a bit because they don't want to become a "party ship" with wet tshirt contests, etc.

Because they are a family friendly company, they realize that there may be adults among us who wish to have private celebrations with our own personal refreshments, and allow us to do so in the privacy of our own rooms, or at our own dining table with a fee. But just walking around celebrating is not what they envision as "family friendly".
Okay, however, at the risk of having someone beat me over the head with a club saying "Just follow the rules, already!!" I have another question. Aren't there already bars selling drinks over by the pool? If I wanted to booze it up and have a party while I'm just walking around, doesn't Disney already make that easy? I thought I read that CMs walk around offering you drinks to purchase on deck? By the pool? Right?

I've eaten at 148 out of 247 restaurants at Walt Disney World (60%)
I've eaten at 56 out of 87 quick service/counter service restaurants at Walt Disney World (64%)
I've eaten at 39 out of 73 table-service restaurants at Walt Disney World (53%)
I've eaten at 6 out of 18 signature restaurants at Walt Disney World (33%)
I've eaten at 2 out of 3 dinner show restaurants at Walt Disney World (67%)

n8nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #17
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8nally View Post
Okay, however, at the risk of having someone beat me over the head with a club saying "Just follow the rules, already!!" I have another question. Aren't there already bars selling drinks over by the pool? If I wanted to booze it up and have a party while I'm just walking around, doesn't Disney already make that easy? I thought I read that CMs walk around offering you drinks to purchase on deck? By the pool? Right?
Yes, but, if you start acting out, they can cut you off, since they are the ones supplying your drinks.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #18
n8nally
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
Yes, but, if you start acting out, they can cut you off, since they are the ones supplying your drinks.
Good point! That might be it! Or at least it's enough for me to wrap my brain around the "rule" and get onboard (no pun intended)! Thank you

I've eaten at 56 out of 87 quick service/counter service restaurants at Walt Disney World (64%)

Old 03-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #19
n8nally
DIS Veteran

Incidentally, I am a fierce defender of every single rule that makes sense to me, lol!

Old 03-01-2013, 09:02 PM   #20
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Good point! That might be it! Or at least it's enough for me to wrap my brain around the "rule" and get onboard (no pun intended)! Thank you
Happy to help

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #21
Minniemiss
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So is it because they think bringing your own wine out to the pool (or wherever) will lessen their beverage sales?

I'm not being difficult, I'm searching for the reason/logic. Sadly, I have never been a "just follow the rules because it's the rules" kind of person. I always do better when I understand the reasons behind the rules.
I have no idea what their reasoning is. It's their ship, their rules. And as their guest I follow their requests and rules. People used to bring on rolling coolers filled with beverages. DCL has cracked down and no longer allows them. Not to long ago they implemented a limit on alcohol, but rescinded it. I'm not sure what it will take for DCL to decide that we may no longer bring liquor onboard, but they have set limits and I will follow them. I guess I don't understand why it is such a big deal to people to push the boundaries. Why possibly ruin a good thing?

Last edited by Minniemiss; 03-01-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Minniemiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:23 PM   #22
katla33
Mouseketeer

I live in Louisiana. It is okay to walk around with alcohol.

katla33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #23
tajz90
Mama D

I always find it weird how many people get bent out of shape over wearing shorts to dinner because Disney suggests dinner attire, but think its ok to walk about public spaces with alcohol that the rules clearly state must be consumed in your room.

Not that I care either way. Doesn't bother me, but the clear contradiction does bother me.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #24
irishtwins1112
Mouseketeer

I had read on one of these threads that it was okay to bring a glass of your own wine to the dinner table. I am new to these boards.....so was that just what some consider ok or is it ok by Disney.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #25
Minniemiss
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtwins1112 View Post
I had read on one of these threads that it was okay to bring a glass of your own wine to the dinner table. I am new to these boards.....so was that just what some consider ok or is it ok by Disney.
It is what some feel is ok, but according to DCL
What is the policy regarding bringing alcoholic beverages on board?
Answer
Alcohol is permitted on board. However, any fragile items (including alcoholic beverages) must be hand-carried on board in the carry-on of an adult Guest – age 21 or older (dimensions can't exceed 22" wide, 14" high and 9" deep).

Alcohol brought on board may not be consumed in any lounge or public area.

Guests who arrive in the dining room, including Palo and Remy, with a bottle of champagne or wine will be charged a corking fee of $20.00 per bottle.

Please be advised: Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to remove fragile items (including beverages) from checked luggage. In such cases, items will be stored and returned at the end of the voyage. Beverage containers are considered fragile and have previously caused damage in checked luggage. All fragile items must be transported inside carry-on luggage. - See more at: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.....wI3QtWaR.dpuf
Minniemiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:43 PM   #26
macemc12
Mouseketeer

Sorry if I opened a can of worms! I was just unsure what the rule was regarding byob onboard. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

macemc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #27
Heyriddle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter

That is why they have wait staff selling the Drink of the Day. They don't want us celebrating.

Actually they are smart. Most folks bring drink one to the pool and then start buying rather then hike back. Disney probably knows if they get the first drink down you, your "wall" is down
I agree completely. I have mixed a drink and enjoyed it at the pool then have purchased one not wanting to go back to the room.

As for walking with it, how is that any different than purchasing a drink at one of the bars and walking around the ship while enjoying it. Must we sit at the bar in order to drink?

Is it that terrible to have a glass of wine at home and walk to your neighbor's house to chat? It's not like I'm walking to the local store.

As for a party boat atmosphere like Carnival, they have the reputation and don't allow people to bring aboard their own alcohol....

2005 Disney Magic Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2008 Disney Wonder Bahamas Double Dip 4-Night
2011 Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 7-Night
Heyriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:15 PM   #28
davocabo
Earning My Ears

I am just happy I don't have to be all sneaky on th DCL, Like I have on other lines! I always take my own and share with others! Always remember there are those around you who will judge you know mater what!

davocabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #29
lanemckenna
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtwins1112 View Post
On my recent trip I did exactly this on some evenings and others I brought a bottle of wine to the MDR and paid the the $20 corkage fee.
lanemckenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #30
mmieszczak
Earning My Ears

I am planning on bringing a few adult bottles on board myself. I know the rules, but we are not planning on getting wasted on deck, just enjoy a few beverages & save some $$ for excursions & gifts.

The Mieszczak Family

Marianne -
DH Jakub -
DD Alexandra -
DS Michael -

mmieszczak is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: