DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #61
mjc2003
DIS Veteran

We have a total of 13 guests traveling with us in October, all family; my brother and his family (4 total), my sister and her family (4 total), and my sister in law and her family (4 total).

We have 2 2BR's at BCV and a 1BR. I simply added up the total cost of the transfer to the MF's for any point THEY are using. The total brought the average for their rooms to about $8 a point.

More importantly, I asked for half the money up front. This was a little confusing, because none of them have any awareness as to how a timeshare works and we booked basically at the 11 month mark. Most people who book a hotel room nearly a year away don't have to pay for it. However, I made it clear they were able to go ahead and do it their own way if they wanted and I showed them the rack rates. I also feel like asking for half wasn't a bad deal since I laid out all the money up front for the transfer.

I simply explained in an email that, before I book, each family is responsible for the costs of their room. If they need to back out, I would have to rent the points to recover some or all of the cost, but they would be on the hook for the difference. I issued a simplified invoice. Each of the 3 families has already paid me for half their cost.

I can see where this can go terribly wrong, I think even with the best preparation one can still get burned. It's a matter of dealing with people who generally have no clue as to how a timeshare operates.

To the OP, I'm sure it's not any comfort, but at least it's only $350. I'm not saying that's not a lot of money, but I'm sure people get "burned" for thousands of dollars. You live and learn. I hope you are able to rent the points and/or recover some of your lost money.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #62
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisegirl View Post
Thanks Doug! I think we are the only ones who see this. I would never charge anyone the full amount. I just suggested that they each pay $350- which covers their 6 day stay. It goes towards my yearly fee. I thought this was more than fair. We had the dining plan, so there is no treating us to dinner. Once dining and park passes are paid...not much to buy. We purchased groceries and split them. I personally would have paid for the groceries, but not everyone is me. You live and learn. Some people are generous and some are not. If I invited family I would never ask for a cent. These families asked so I thought again, $350- was fair.
It is not that we 'don't see this'. Yes, points equal money to me. But, it's just how we want to be. For us, the joy of giving accommodations to our friends and family is enough. Nothing wrong with asking for money either but in the original post you asked what other people do and people are telling you. You still have an opportunity to not lose those 88 points thus if you had kept the $350; you would have gain more money than you say you need or want.
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #63
kirstenb1
DIS Veteran

OP, I'd like to point out a scenario that occured to me reading through this thread.

As I said, we've had guests join us for many years, without charging them anything. 99% of the trips were wonderful. However, one year we invited dh's parents. They were unhappy campers. They didn't like the heat, the parks, anything. They'd never been to Florida, and really didn't like the heat/sun/walking etc.

In that case, you're in a very awkward position if you've charged them for points. In effect, you become "Guest Services" instead of a family member/friend. Would you refund the $$?
kirstenb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #64
Hollymom1229
Art's Girl
I ran, I hid, I laid low, and yet somehow they found me
YEAH TERPS!!!

When DH and I travel with people we do not charge them for the points as we consider it the same as if we were inviting them to our home. We have also gifted DVC stays to friends before. My parents have also stayed on our points a few times without us, but we consider them partial owners as my mom paid to add an additional 25 point contract to help cover her use over time.

Actually this July will be the first time a family member or friend has paid to stay on our points. My sister is taking my niece and she didn't want use up our points as she put it, but we have plenty so we offered. We agreed she would pay the yearly membership fees for the points she's using. We told her over and over that it wasn't necessary, so she just called it an early anniversary present and told us to sock away the money to pay for our expenses on our December trip.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #65
disfanforlife
DIS Veteran

We are going for the first time with only one of our three children. We told our son that he could invite a friend. We offered to pay for all of his friends expenses. After inviting him, the friends parents decided that they wanted to go to Disney too along with their other two children. We invited them to stay with us. We are getting a two bedroom instead of a one bedroom. So, yes it will use more points but we are not asking for any money. They are however paying for all of their expenses for themselves and all their kids. They way we see it we would have been paying a lot more out of pocket for their son. This way they can afford to go to Disney with their whole family since they don't have to pay for a room. We are looking forward to sharing our DVC and the magic with them.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #66
mickeysbestfriend
DIS Veteran

For me

it depends on who it is. If it is a family member that makes more than I do I expect them to pay. My brother decided to join us a couple of times when we already had a 1 bedroom booked. He insisted on having his own room. I gave him the option of paying the extra cost of the two bedroom or getting himself a room at a Disney hotel. I was only going to charge him $100 a night. The French Quarter would have been $189 a night so he decided to stay with us.

I have treated my sister and youngest brother to free accomodations as well as my step daughters because they honestly could not afford it. The rule is that my wife and I get the King bed and the others scarp for the queen pull out of flop out chair

DVC owner-Old Key West
Stockholder
Annual pass holder
TIW member (hate the name)

http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers...wtac9ku7u8.png
mickeysbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #67
MDTerp
Mouseketeer

We have taken my parents three time and my sister and her family twice. I've suggested $100/night for each family. My parents have never had an issue with this, as they clearly agree they could not get DVC like accommodations for that price. On my sister's first trip she purchased things (groceries, dinner show tix) that equaled $125 and thought that was good enough (for her family of 4 at AKV-savannah view, for 4 nights). I was quite put off (they have the funds) so the second time (a pre and post cruise stay) I made it clear that I expected $100/night. She obliged.

On the other hand, we plan on taking DH's family (MIL and his brother's family) in 2014. They are in a different financial situation and will be saving the best they can for airfare, park tix and food. So, we will not be asking for or suggesting anything, rather it will be their "Christmas" gift (we hope to go in Feb). I know them, and if they have any spare change, they'll buy us something (even if its only dinner at Earl of Sandwich).

I think it just depends on the individual financial situation and the relationship you have with your family members and friends. A very personal decision.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

October 2007 - Western Caribbean - Disney Magic
September 2009 - DVC SSMC - Disney Wonder
September 2010 - DVC SSMC - Disney Wonder
July 2011 - 10-Day Mediterranean - Disney Magic
April 2012 - 5 Night Double Dip - Disney Dream
November 2012 - Bahamas - Disney Dream
March 2013 - Mexico/Castaway Cay - Disney Wonder
February 2014 - Bahamas - Disney Magic
October 2014 - 3-Day Repo Castaway Cay - Disney Magic

DVC Member Since 2007 - AKV, BLT and BWV
Trips to the World...2001, 2003, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
Aulani - 2013
MDTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #68
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenb1 View Post
They were unhappy campers. They didn't like the heat, the parks, anything. They'd never been to Florida, and really didn't like the heat/sun/walking etc.

In that case, you're in a very awkward position if you've charged them for points. In effect, you become "Guest Services" instead of a family member/friend. Would you refund the $$?
But guest services isn't responsible for showing you a good time and/or ensuring that the weather and temperature suits you! They are only responsible for a clean suite!

The OP charged the money, they paid, they new it was non-refundable but yet she returned the money! Done

This is why I never charge friends/family in using my points! Luckily I've only had one cancellation, 76 points which went into holding since it was last minute but I took a long week-end and made it work. Or, I would have rented those points to not be at a loss! We are still friends but I will never extend them accommodations! For 2 family reunions, where I had to buy extra points at the request of family, what they paid went straight to the owner for the points transfer with the understanding that the GV is available, whether they came or not! Family's never cancelled so far~

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV

Last edited by BEASLYBOO; 02-28-2013 at 10:38 AM.
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #69
Tink316
Mouseketeer

I would never dream of asking family or friends to pay $$ toward use of our DVC points. We've brought my mom with us in the past; aAd, we have a big trip planned for next January with my 2 SILs and their families. We have booked a 2 BR and a studio. The use of points is my treat to them...and they will pay for their own airfare and tickets into the park. I'm excited to be able to do this for them. (We travel together regularly so not worried about anyone backing out.)

We love being able to share our DVC points. We are hoping to go to VB in October with friends - and would also use points to book 2BR or 2 rooms. Again, our treat.

I figure I'd be paying the annual dues anyway...so why not share if you can.

But no judgement here if folks want to charge "travelmates." I say whatever works for you...great.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #70
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink316 View Post
I would never dream of asking family or friends to pay $$ toward use of our DVC points. We've brought my mom with us in the past; aAd, we have a big trip planned for next January with my 2 SILs and their families. We have booked a 2 BR and a studio. The use of points is my treat to them...and they will pay for their own airfare and tickets into the park. I'm excited to be able to do this for them. (We travel together regularly so not worried about anyone backing out.)

We love being able to share our DVC points. We are hoping to go to VB in October with friends - and would also use points to book 2BR or 2 rooms. Again, our treat.

I figure I'd be paying the annual dues anyway...so why not share if you can.

But no judgement here if folks want to charge "travelmates." I say whatever works for you...great.
I whole heartily agree with you!
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #71
patsal
I've discovered I don't need to be a control freak...and like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmer55 View Post
It also costs money to live in your house, do you charge a cover when you have a party?
Parties and vacations are not in the same realm. I am throwing aprty regardless of who comes and am not getting a two bedroom when I only need a 1 bedroom....
Old 03-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #72
MelissathePooh
Disney Regular

If we are the ones inviting family or friends - we're the ones offering our DVC - no way would we ever charge anyone or expect payment. We bought DVC so we could share it with our family and friends. We almost always have other family or friends with us when we travel. Taking 2 other families with us to Aulani this summer.

Now if a friend approached me and asked if they could use our points I would try to make a more formal arrangement for some level reimbursement, but that would only be with someone we were very familiar with and if something went wrong - it certainly wouldn't be the end of the friendship. We would never just rent out points to people we don't know - barely have enough for what we like to do at 500 points.

But yes - in terms of how we share DVC with family and friends - we just do. No reimbursement necessary. It is something we are able to do so we do

While Eeyore frets and Piglet hesitates and Rabbit calculates and Owl pontificates, Pooh just is.
MelissathePooh is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: