Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #46
writersblock42
DIS Veteran

Did we ever clarify what the actual rules are? Is a 14 year old able to watch younger siblings or not? What are the official rules not personal opinions?
Are the rules different at say the play areas than the pools? The dining areas? There are a lot of reasons that parents might want 20 or 30 minutes to themselves especially if they are all in the same hotel room for a week and it isn't just to do but maybe to
On-Site 2007 Caribbean Beach Resort
On-Site 2013 Coronado Springs Resort
Old 03-01-2013, 04:13 PM   #47
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
However, if you are quiet and don't disturb guests with rooms around the pool, you can probably get by swimming almost any time.
If people don't know, then the words "probably", and "get by", might make them think it's not really allowed.

I have asked many lifeguards and the answer is a definite "YES", using the pools for 24 hours IS ALLOWED as long as noise levels are satisfactory.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #48
Sammie
DIS Veteran

All pools at Disney have posted hours at the pool on a large sign similar to this one at POFQ

If guests are very, very quiet some times those hours are not enforced. However if the noise level reaches a point after hours then yes security can ask everyone to leave and it has happened.

Adult supervision to me at Disney means anyone 18 and older as that is the age you can book a room.

Last edited by Sammie; 03-01-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #49
NHKristy76
Senior Mousketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallWorld71

We'll have to agree to disagree.
It would, of course, depend on the children in question. But, my DD just turned 10 a couple weeks ago and I would have no problem with leaving DS14 in charge at the pool for a little while.
Hmm. I'm another person in favor of letting kids swim without parents ONLY if there are lifeguards present.

A 14 year old is not sufficient unless they happen to be a trained lifeguard!
Old 03-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #50
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
All pools at Disney have posted hours at the pool on a large sign similar to this one at POFQ

If guests are very, very quiet some times those hours are not enforced. However if the noise level reaches a point after hours then yes security can ask everyone to leave and it has happened.

Adult supervision to me at Disney means anyone 18 and older as that is the age you can book a room.
243 people in one pool????????
Im totally freaked out now!
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(6)
Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
Old 03-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #51
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by writersblock42 View Post
Did we ever clarify what the actual rules are? Is a 14 year old able to watch younger siblings or not? What are the official rules not personal opinions?
Are the rules different at say the play areas than the pools? The dining areas? There are a lot of reasons that parents might want 20 or 30 minutes to themselves especially if they are all in the same hotel room for a week and it isn't just to do but maybe to
As you can see from the sign, it says under 12 needs supervision of an adult. The irony for me is that it is my 14 year old is the one with the lifesaving and CPR training through BSA. But, that's neither here nor there.

Ironically, I've seen every other rule on that list broken by other guests, often with the blessing of the lifeguards. I've seen swimmers that were visiting others and not staying at the resort, I've seen food/drinks on deck, seen lots of undiapered babies and seen people in pools at 3 am when I've gotten up to use the restroom and peeked out the window.

Overall, WDW isn't nearly as concerned about these things as a select few on the DIS who who think your parenting rights should be revoked for allowing your 9 year old to stand in waist high water without you by her side while you toss a load in the dryer. Even though she is with older brothers who are taller, quicker and better swimmers than you and certainly able to react just as fast, if not faster, in an emergency. When in doubt, check with the lifeguards on duty. I have always found them to be an extremely pleasant group of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post

Last edited by SmallWorld71; 03-02-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #52
NHKristy76
Senior Mousketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallWorld71

As you can see from the sign, it says under 12 needs supervision of an adult. The irony for me is that it is my 14 year old is the one with the lifesaving and CPR training through BSA. But, that's neither here nor there.

Ironically, I've seen every other rule on that list broken by other guests, often with the blessing of the lifeguards. I've seen swimmers that were visiting others and not staying at the resort, I've seen food/drinks on deck, seen lots of undiapered babies and seen people in pools at 3 am when I've gotten up to use the restroom and peeked out the window.

Overall, WDW isn't nearly as concerned about these things as a select few on the DIS who who think your parenting rights should be revoked for allowing your 9 year old to stand in waist high water without you by her side while you toss a load in the dryer. Even though she is with older brothers who are taller, quicker and better swimmers that you and certainly able to react just as fast, if not faster, in an emergency. When in doubt, check with the lifeguards on duty. I have always found them to be an extremely pleasant group of people.
THIS!

I don't ask questions like this on the Dis anymore. People can really be quite wretched.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #53
cjsm&d
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clareita View Post
I am very fortunate to have one those super responsible mature 14 year old daughters, so yes, she would be able to handle these situations. She and her younger sister are both Red Cross trained babysitters and very reliable.
You do what you think is right. None of us know you or your kids, so I wouldn't try to tell you what you should or shouldn't do.

We have always gone to the pool with my DS in the past, but this trip, if he and my 14 year old nephew and 11 year old niece want to get a 10 or 15 minute head start to Old Man River I probably won't have any problem with it. They live in my MIL's pool all summer at home and are good swimmers.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:25 PM   #54
skriegerjr
Monorail Maven

If we really want to be stickers for the rules, how many people actually shower before entering the pool...Just sayin'!

Sent from my rooted Samsung Galaxy SIII using the DISBoards app

"Any review by me is based on my own personal experience and isn't necessarily indicative of similar experiences in the future, for myself or for other guests. Please use the review at your own risk, and know that it is worth exactly what you paid for it..."

Old 03-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #55
labst60
DIS Veteran

If questioned about "adult" status of my 14 year old - I would just pull out their park ticket which will clearly state "adult".
Old 03-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #56
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by labst60 View Post
If questioned about "adult" status of my 14 year old - I would just pull out their park ticket which will clearly state "adult".
So do you plan on paying the extra adult resort fee for them too? Don't be silly, of course you don't. An adult park pass does not make them an adult at the resort.

The rule is the rule. No need to be argumentative with a CM or lifeguard for enforcing an age limit you are well aware of.

Last edited by maxiesmom; 03-03-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #57
TowMater92
Mouseketeer

Wow my parents we such bad parents when I was a kid, they would let me go swim with friends in the river we went camping on by myself when I was 10. I don't get the people that think they know what other people should do with there kids. How do you know that they don't have a pool in there back yard and there kids have been able to swim for years? I had swim lessons every year when I was very little and would go swimming in my friends pool almost everyday over the summer. We actually taught other friends how to swim and his parents and my parents let us swim without an adult watching us when we were 9-10. They are kids but that doesn't mean they need to be babied or that they are helpless, if they can swim and are responsible (will do what there parents tell them) then they will be fine.

A 9yo with a 12yo and 14yo sibling watching them will be fine for 20-30 minutes. To the people that say something can happen, yes it can but something can happen anywhere anytime, you can't keep your kids in a bubble forever.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:25 PM   #58
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowMater92 View Post
Wow my parents we such bad parents when I was a kid, they would let me go swim with friends in the river we went camping on by myself when I was 10. I don't get the people that think they know what other people should do with there kids. How do you know that they don't have a pool in there back yard and there kids have been able to swim for years? I had swim lessons every year when I was very little and would go swimming in my friends pool almost everyday over the summer. We actually taught other friends how to swim and his parents and my parents let us swim without an adult watching us when we were 9-10. They are kids but that doesn't mean they need to be babied or that they are helpless, if they can swim and are responsible (will do what there parents tell them) then they will be fine.

A 9yo with a 12yo and 14yo sibling watching them will be fine for 20-30 minutes. To the people that say something can happen, yes it can but something can happen anywhere anytime, you can't keep your kids in a bubble forever.
Unfortunately, if your child drowns in the river or your backyard pool, that is your business. But, if your child drowns or is injured on WDW property, lawsuits will happen. So Disney posts rules.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #59
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Unfortunately, if your child drowns in the river or your backyard pool, that is your business. But, if your child drowns or is injured on WDW property, lawsuits will happen. So Disney posts rules.
This!. Disney needs to protect themselves from liability, and some guests from themselves, apparently. If the PP who thinks she's going to be in desperate need of time with DH, then send the kids to the arcade or the gift shop. Throw some green jellybeans on the lawn and have the kids hunt for them. But don't let them go unsupervised to pools.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #60
dp911
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum

This!. Disney needs to protect themselves from liability, and some guests from themselves, apparently. If the PP who thinks she's going to be in desperate need of time with DH, then send the kids to the arcade or the gift shop. Throw some green jellybeans on the lawn and have the kids hunt for them. But don't let them go unsupervised to pools.
Wait kids can go to the arcade unsupervised? I thought they had to be accompanied also.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: