DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 07:33 AM   #1
DisneyFansInLINY
DIS Veteran

I have 2 questions...

We are in the process of buying a resale contract. And I just had 2 questions.

1) We rented points for our July trip. However, if we become DVC members, would we be able to change the dining plan from regular to deluxe on our rented points? Or would we still need the DVC member who made the reservation to that?

2) Once we become DVC members, can we check availability at resorts even though we won't have any points until August 2014? The reason I ask is because we are staying on rented points for our July trip. However, there is one night that we couldn't get. And so we booked the Dolphin for said night. But I hope to be able to keep checking availability for that night should it become available and then do a point transfer to be able to book it. Would this work?

TIA
DisneyFansInLINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #2
thebigman65
Certified Disney Nut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFansInLINY View Post

1) We rented points for our July trip. However, if we become DVC members, would we be able to change the dining plan from regular to deluxe on our rented points? Or would we still need the DVC member who made the reservation to that?

2) Once we become DVC members, can we check availability at resorts even though we won't have any points until August 2014? The reason I ask is because we are staying on rented points for our July trip. However, there is one night that we couldn't get. And so we booked the Dolphin for said night. But I hope to be able to keep checking availability for that night should it become available and then do a point transfer to be able to book it. Would this work?

TIA
1) If you are staying on rented points and want to upgrade your dining plan, then yes the owner will need to do that for you as it has to be done no later than 48 hours (i believe) before you arrive.

2) If your use year is August and you have no points available unit August 2014, then you cannot book anything until after August 2013 in which case you will be borrowing from your 2014 points. You can't do this in July as you will not have entered the year prior to these points coming into effect so therefore cannot borrow from them.

AKL March 2009 Studio - Pop Century Christmas 09 - AKV March 2010 - AKV (F&W) Oct 2010 - AKV March 2011. - SSR Oct 2011. - AKL CL Feb 2012. - AKV Nov 2012. - AKL CL Mar 2013.
thebigman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
DisneyFansInLINY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigman65 View Post
1) If you are staying on rented points and want to upgrade your dining plan, then yes the owner will need to do that for you as it has to be done no later than 48 hours (i believe) before you arrive.

2) If your use year is August and you have no points available unit August 2014, then you cannot book anything until after August 2013 in which case you will be borrowing from your 2014 points. You can't do this in July as you will not have entered the year prior to these points coming into effect so therefore cannot borrow from them.
I am aware that I would not be able to borrow points until I was in my uy. But I was wondering if I could have another DVC member do a point transfer in which I pay them for their points?
Old 02-27-2013, 08:08 AM   #4
Kidanifan08
DIS Veteran

Quote:

TIA
You should be able to check availability, but it changes so frequently that the only way you could guarantee getting that available reservation is to have the points in your account at the time that you are checking availability. You could have points transferred in from someone in anticipation of using them for that extra day. If you end up with leftover transferred points, you could always bank them into the next UY, but you would want to make sure whatever you transfer in will still work for any plans you have in the works for 2014. Hopefully that is clear.

Good luck with ROFR!
POP 2004, POR Oct '08, SSR Jan '09 (first DVC trip!), AKV-K June '09, ASM Oct '09, CBR Jan '10, AKV-K Dec '10, CSR Feb '11, OKW Aug '11, Kidani/BLT Oct '11, BWV/GF Mar '12, Jambo-CL/BLT May/June '12, Kidani Dec '12, BWV Apr '13, BLT/Kidani July '13, Jambo-CL Apr '14, BCV/Kidani July '14, BWV/GF Oct '14, Jambo Dec '14

Kidanifan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:10 AM   #5
a742246
older than dirt

Once you get your membership you can look up (using online as well as MS)
available dates. So you would be able to transfer points into your account if you found a date open.
a742246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #6
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Even after you become a member, that reservation is owned by someone else and you cannot do anything to it. You will have to ask the owner to call MS to make that change.

Quote:
You can always check availability at your home resort up to 11 months out and at other resorts up to 7 months out even if you don't have enough points to pay for the reservation. If that one night you need costs 24 points or less you can purchase one-time-use points from MS to pay for it. This option to purchase up to 24 OTU points is available once per Use Year and can only be used inside the 7-month window. You cannot purchase OTU points online so you would have to call MS.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
DisneyFansInLINY
DIS Veteran

Thank you all for your help. I had no idea that you could bank point tranfers. But you can only bank them by the deadline according with their uy correct? And the uy would be the member's uy, not mine? But how does it work when you bank points transferred from ms? Do those points have your uy?
Old 02-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #8
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Thank you all for your help. I had no idea that you could bank point tranfers. But you can only bank them by the deadline according with their uy correct? And the uy would be the member's uy, not mine? But how does it work when you bank points transferred from ms? Do those points have your uy?
When you purchase one time use points from MS (up to 24 points), they don't have a resort or a use year associated with them. So you cannot bank them and they must be used when you purchase them. And you cannot use them further out than seven months.

If you get a transfer from another member, the points retain their use year and resort. You can bank them, but not borrow them.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #9
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
But how does it work when you bank points transferred from ms? Do those points have your uy?
I'm not sure what you mean by "points transferred from MS". If you mean the one-time-use points, they cannot be banked. They expire at the end of your UY.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #10
a742246
older than dirt

Those points that you can purchase from MS (24 points) costs $15.00 a point, the benefit is that you are in control.
a742246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #11
Kidanifan08
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
When you purchase one time use points from MS (up to 24 points), they don't have a resort or a use year associated with them. So you cannot bank them and they must be used when you purchase them. And you cannot use them further out than seven months.

If you get a transfer from another member, the points retain their use year and resort. You can bank them, but not borrow them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a742246 View Post
Those points that you can purchase from MS (24 points) costs $15.00 a point, the benefit is that you are in control.
Also, the one-time use points can only be purchased at the time you are making the reservation and it has to be within the 7 month booking window, as Deb pointed out. You can't "pre-purchase" them in anticipation of using them in the near future. If you do cancel the reservation that those OTU points were purchased for, you do not get a refund of your money.
POP 2004, POR Oct '08, SSR Jan '09 (first DVC trip!), AKV-K June '09, ASM Oct '09, CBR Jan '10, AKV-K Dec '10, CSR Feb '11, OKW Aug '11, Kidani/BLT Oct '11, BWV/GF Mar '12, Jambo-CL/BLT May/June '12, Kidani Dec '12, BWV Apr '13, BLT/Kidani July '13, Jambo-CL Apr '14, BCV/Kidani July '14, BWV/GF Oct '14, Jambo Dec '14

Kidanifan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #12
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
I am aware that I would not be able to borrow points until I was in my uy. But I was wondering if I could have another DVC member do a point transfer in which I pay them for their points?
FYI - exchanging money for point transfers between owners is against the DVC rules so be mindful what you say and who you say it to.

It OK for Disney to sell and transfer points to you, just not other owners.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #13
wdwfan1
DIS Veteran

Hi. Just wanted to say Hi and Welcome Home to a fellow Long Islander!!!!!

wdwfan1

I have been boo'd by wisbucky!
wdwfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #14
DisneyFansInLINY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfan1 View Post
Hi. Just wanted to say Hi and Welcome Home to a fellow Long Islander!!!!!
Hi thank you. I'm waiting on ROFR. Hopefully soon we will be owners

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: