Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 05:43 AM   #31
WantToGoNow
DIS Veteran

My son was 10 on our last trip and went down to the quiet pool at CSR Cabana section by himself twice for about 30 min each time. While I was in the pool there was a sibbling pair about 8-9 there by themselves. I did leave dd8 there once with ds10 while I hoofed it to the main building to fill our mugs. Dd is 9 now and I wouldn't let her go completely alone but with ds11 they would be fine.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:00 AM   #32
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToGoNow View Post
My son was 10 on our last trip and went down to the quiet pool at CSR Cabana section by himself twice for about 30 min each time. While I was in the pool there was a sibbling pair about 8-9 there by themselves. I did leave dd8 there once with ds10 while I hoofed it to the main building to fill our mugs. Dd is 9 now and I wouldn't let her go completely alone but with ds11 they would be fine.
I thought the quiet pools were for adults only....maybe Im confused on that point. We stayed at the Poly (a few years ago), near the quiet pool, but I didnt let the kids get in that pool because I thought it was for adults only.
Maybe someone can confirm what exactly the quiet pool is...thanks!
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(6)
Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #33
ManyMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedby3 View Post
I thought the quiet pools were for adults only....maybe Im confused on that point. We stayed at the Poly (a few years ago), near the quiet pool, but I didnt let the kids get in that pool because I thought it was for adults only.
They are called quiet pools because they don't have a slide or activities like the main pools do.

The quiet pools are open to everyone, not just adults.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:05 AM   #34
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Quote:
Just a pool without the bells and whistles of the main pool-open to all guests.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:19 AM   #35
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMinnie View Post
They are called quiet pools because they don't have a slide or activities like the main pools do.

The quiet pools are open to everyone, not just adults.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison View Post
Just a pool without the bells and whistles of the main pool-open to all guests.
Thanks...wish I had been smart enough to realize this in all our trips You learn something new EVERYday
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(6)
Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
Old 03-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #36
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

Just thought I'd add...my recollections was that the hot tubs post something about closing at midnight, but also somethign about guests who stay later assume liability because there is no lifeguard after that. I think they also say somethign aout 'quiet hours.'

I think that's kind of the crux of it. If you stay past the life guards you must be quiet, and not sue Disney because there was no lifeguard.

As for hours...I'm not a CM, but my understanding is that the pool hours are somewhat seasonal, and always weather related. This time of year, it is just too cold some days, and even colder at night. Other times, they close the pool if there is a storm.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:15 AM   #37
Brian_WDW74
Theme Parks Co-Moderator
Oh, I'm detecting nuttiness.

DISboards Moderator

I've moved this thread to the Resorts board.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #38
RunningWithScissors
Wife, Mom, Alabama Football GradFan

I would use the general rule that if you would hire someone of a certain age to babysit in the summer and be responsible for your children at a neighborhood pool or park or in your own home with a pool, then they are old enough to watch your kids for 20 minutes at the Disney pool. My daughter is almost 16 and I would be just fine with her watching her 10 yo brother and her 12, 11 and 9 year old cousins at the pool for 20 minutes while we gathered all the belongings. I think the 13+ age range is reasonable. I have a 12.5 yo nephew and he isn't mature enough yet for that responsibility. However, every family is different.

I would gauge this based on your families dynamic. Based on my personal experiences with my family members, a 10 or 12 year old isn't old enough to be responsible for younger children at a pool.

You also have to remember that for every "unattended" child, regardless of the age, a bigger burden is placed on the lifeguards. They are not babysitters. If they are having to watch or referee unattended children, they are not able to fully do their job.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #39
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

OP, wouldn't it just be safer to have the kids wait for your those 20-30 minutes extra and all go down together? I don't see the point of sending them down separately, if you too are planning on going to the pool anyway.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:03 AM   #40
clareita
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM View Post
OP, wouldn't it just be safer to have the kids wait for your those 20-30 minutes extra and all go down together? I don't see the point of sending them down separately, if you too are planning on going to the pool anyway.
Not really. My kids are all better swimmers than I am. In all seriousness, they would be the ones rescuing me not the other way around. I will be sitting in a chair reading a book or talking to my husband, so I won't have my eyes on them at all times anyway. From what I remember on our last visit, the pool isn't very deep so even my very tall 9 year old won't be able to be in water over his head.

20-30 minutes isn't a big deal, but it would be nice to be able to send them ahead instead of listeing to "Are you ready yet???" It would also be nice to have a private conversation with my husband. But it isn't a big deal, so it looks like my son will have to cool his jets and wait for me. His older sisters will enjoy the ability to be at the pool without us.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #41
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Morning Dewdrop View Post
I thought (could well be wrong) lifeguards were out until 10 pm at AS Music. After that you swim at your own risk (DD and I swam one night from 2 am - 3:30 am when we arrived too early to check in - DH napped in the car ROFL DD still thinks that was a highlight of the trip!)
That sounds like an AWESOME memory for your daughter (and you!) - very cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmar411 View Post
No they aren't. Maybe the values are but the other resorts have posted hours and midnight is it,
CSR last trip - pools open 24/7. Same at CBR a few years ago..

Quote:
Nope - just means there is no slide, etc. Open for all.

For my kids - depends on maturity. My almost 9 year old - he is pretty close to me allowing it. My almost 6 year old - will probably be an adult before I am comfy with it, ha! Last year at CSR, we were all in the general pool area, but I allowed my then newly-8 year old son pretty free roam. I knew he was "somewhere" in the pool complex and he seemed to check in every 15 minutes or so - but I wasn't concerned about him. He is a smart, mature kid with a good head on his shoulders.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #42
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Tink View Post
Inaccurate.

Stormalong Bay at the Beach Club is open until 10:00pm every night. The quiet pools at Beach Club and Yacht Club are open 24 hours a day.
Actually, all the pools have posted hours on the sign by the pool. However, if you are quiet and don't disturb guests with rooms around the pool, you can probably get by swimming almost any time. Those same signs will advise guests about ages of children who can be unattended by adults.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #43
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by clareita View Post
Not really. My kids are all better swimmers than I am. In all seriousness, they would be the ones rescuing me not the other way around. I will be sitting in a chair reading a book or talking to my husband, so I won't have my eyes on them at all times anyway. From what I remember on our last visit, the pool isn't very deep so even my very tall 9 year old won't be able to be in water over his head.

20-30 minutes isn't a big deal, but it would be nice to be able to send them ahead instead of listeing to "Are you ready yet???" It would also be nice to have a private conversation with my husband. But it isn't a big deal, so it looks like my son will have to cool his jets and wait for me. His older sisters will enjoy the ability to be at the pool without us.
Actually, when I talk about safer, I don't mean about the possibility of drowning, I'm thinking of other things that could go wrong that you'd want to be there for like tripping and cutting open a knee or hand, or being stung by a bee, etc. Would your oldest be able to handle these kinds of things if they happened to any of the kids?
Old 03-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #44
clareita
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM View Post
Actually, when I talk about safer, I don't mean about the possibility of drowning, I'm thinking of other things that could go wrong that you'd want to be there for like tripping and cutting open a knee or hand, or being stung by a bee, etc. Would your oldest be able to handle these kinds of things if they happened to any of the kids?
I am very fortunate to have one those super responsible mature 14 year old daughters, so yes, she would be able to handle these situations. She and her younger sister are both Red Cross trained babysitters and very reliable.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #45
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

Well according to Disney a 10 yr old is an adult when it comes to you having to pay for something, tickets or food. But I guess when it comes to the pool they think older is better.

As for the 14 year old taking the 2 younger siblings...if a child needs an adult to ride with them in the parks, Disney says 14 years old is old enough for a teen to ride with a child when an adult is needed.

You may want to ask the lifeguard on duty on your first day but I would think a 14 yr old could be considered a responsible party for watching the 2 younger ones.

I know last year my kids were 11, 12 and 13 and I let them go to the pool without us. Every evening. For a couple of hours.

Now most of that time they spent playing Ping Pong and not actually in the pool but they did all come back wet every night. So they were in the pool some.

I had no idea Disney said they needed to be 12 to be there alone. But for us it doesn't matter now because my youngest is now 12.

We go in the off season but even during slow times there is always a good amount of people down at the pool. Adults and kids. So I doubt those lifeguards even know if the kids are there alone or not. They don't know which adults sitting there reading books or talking go with which kids.

But if you know you don't want to break the Disney rules you will just have to make the youngest one wait. Or make them all 3 wait. You can still have a private conversation with your husband while the kids are in the pool. You will just need to do it poolside.

But if it were me I would go ask a lifeguard on our first day there and see if the 14 yr old can be there with the 2 younger ones. Or really just the youngest because the 12 yr old is old enough to be there alone.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: