Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
cheesemouse
DIS Veteran

Can you bring a balloon from WDW onboard?

Sorry if this has been asked before - search is down. We are going to WDW before the cruise. I was thinking of getting my little guy one of the light up balloons and then taking it on the cruise with us (Wonder).

Anyone know if I would be allowd to bring it onboard? I'm not sure if security would be a problem.
cheesemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #2
Mitzzie
Mouseketeer

Pretty sure that it is not allowed.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesemouse View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before - search is down. We are going to WDW before the cruise. I was thinking of getting my little guy one of the light up balloons and then taking it on the cruise with us (Wonder).

Anyone know if I would be allowd to bring it onboard? I'm not sure if security would be a problem.
No, you can't take balloons onboard.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
wdwwishes
DIS Veteran

No to offend but I never saw the value in balloons. Sorry, just me. I do debate it lots though because they are so darn cute!. If you're wanting a little glow magic, maybe bring along some glow sticks. Not sure what the policy on board is but I'm sure they'd be o.k. by night at the parks and at your resort.
A.K.L. 2008, 2011
Poly 2009
Wilderness Lodge 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
The Wonder 2007, 2009, 2011
The Fantasy 2013
The Dream 2014
The Magic 2015
wdwwishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
cheesemouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwwishes
No to offend but I never saw the value in balloons. Sorry, just me. I do debate it lots though because they are so darn cute!. If you're wanting a little glow magic, maybe bring along some glow sticks. Not sure what the policy on board is but I'm sure they'd be o.k. by night at the parks and at your resort.
No offense. There is definitely little to no value with those balloons! They are pretty expensive for sure. We live in Minnesota and always fly and have only purchased the balloons once. The kids were so sad to leave them behind as they obviously can't be brought on a plane. But, since we are doing 7 days at Disney world followed by a 5 day cruise, I was contemplating buying one for my 1 year old. He just turned one and absolutely loved the balloons at his birthday party. Since he doesn't talk he won't ask me for any souvenirs, ha!, and thought this might be fun for him if I could get 2 weeks worth of use. But alas, since they can't be brought on board I think I'll pass on buying one. So glad that I asked you guys. Thanks for the help!
cheesemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
Timon

DIS Junkie

On our last trip, we bought our two year old a balloon at the MK. She loved it and played with it every day for a week. When it was time for our cruise, we explained to her that since we can't bring it with us on the ship that we should pass it on to someone who would love it as much as she did. She was surprisingly okay with this and just before we left for the port, at DD, we found another little girl to pass the balloon onto. The funny part was that she had the same name as our daughter
Timon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #7
DVC Jen
DIS Veteran
Wigs out even the biggest circus freaks!
Proudly wears the title of WEIRDEST DISer!

When my girls were small and we were leaving WDW we would cut a very small hole in one side of the mylar balloons - let the hellium out and then pack it. When we got home, I hung them on their bedroom walls. It wasn't quite the same as having them inflated - but they still got to enjoy them.

Check Out My Disney Vacation Photos My Disney Family Vacation Galleries
DVC Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #8
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwwishes View Post
No to offend but I never saw the value in balloons. Sorry, just me. I do debate it lots though because they are so darn cute!.
The cuteness IS the value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesemouse View Post
But, since we are doing 7 days at Disney world followed by a 5 day cruise, I was contemplating buying one for my 1 year old. He just turned one and absolutely loved the balloons at his birthday party. Since he doesn't talk he won't ask me for any souvenirs, ha!, and thought this might be fun for him if I could get 2 weeks worth of use. But alas, since they can't be brought on board I think I'll pass on buying one. So glad that I asked you guys. Thanks for the help!
You can still get 7 days of enjoyment out of it for him. We recently bought a non-light-up Mickey head in the clear balloon, and it was $10. $1.42 per day for fun for the baby? Good value, IMO. And you'll probably have a stroller to attach it to, which makes it all easier (except if you tie it on too long you bonk the heads of strangers with it; too short and you bonk your own head while on the move).

When it's time for the cruise, deflate it and pack it. Either hang it on his wall at home (nice and high of course, and securely) or take it to a party store when you get back home and refill it. We're doing the latter as soon as DS is over his cold enough to go to such a non-essential place as a party store.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!

Last edited by bumbershoot; 02-28-2013 at 08:21 PM. Reason: clarified what I was saying
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #9
Jareds_mommy
DIS Veteran

what about some of those light up ice cube and stick them in his cup

Jareds_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:10 PM   #10
m&mfamily
Mouseketeer

Maybe this is a silly question, but why can't you bring a balloon on board the ship?
m&mfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:15 PM   #11
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&mfamily View Post
Maybe this is a silly question, but why can't you bring a balloon on board the ship?
Because of the danger of it going overboard. Cruise ships can be fined for allowing stuff to enter the ocean that doesn't belong there.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:19 PM   #12
m&mfamily
Mouseketeer

Gotcha! Thanks, that makes sense.

We just got back a couple of weeks ago from our cruise. We were on the Dream for my son's birthday. We decorated the room and our stateroom doors with balloons we brought and blew up ourselves. I guess we're pretty lucky they never said anything to us.
m&mfamily is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: