Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #16
mmmears
DIS Veteran

I have stayed at the GF, Poly, BC, YC, and AKL. And as you know, they all have their pros and cons. I think WL looks gorgeous, and the theming at CR doesn't pull me in, but I won't comment on them or BWI since I find that I don't learn to appreciate a place until I've really had a chance to stay there.

Based on what you wrote, I would probably pick Poly first:

1) theming and gardens that you wont find in Europe
2) really in the middle of the magic
3) very large rooms, that are much much nicer in person than the photos IMO
4) can watch the fireworks from the beach
5) most relaxing place -- and a great resort to spend the afternoon at with the pools and beach and the view of the castle while you relax
5) easy to get to MK and Epcot
6) fun boat rentals
7) fun dining

Then I'd pick GF (but not if it's still a mess with the construction).

1) nice lagoon views
2) nice pools
3) good dining
4) close to MK
5) not stuffy, but more elegant

I'd pick YC or BC 3rd because of pool and location.

We love AKL -- we usually do a split between AKL and another more-centrally-located resort. If you can do that, I'd recommend a few days there. It's really unique and has a great atmosphere.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #17
blackacex2
Mouseketeer

I'll chime in here and recommend the grand floridian. Staying there will fulfill your wish to get the best of disney before you move. It is marvelous and luxurious and impressive while being convenient as well. Every time I visit there I think "this is THE place to be." The poly and WL are cool but the floridian just screams A-MAZING
blackacex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #18
clapton
Mouseketeer

Have stayed at CR, Poly, WL and own BLT . That being said stayed at GF years ago and would definitely pick GF. Just love the atmosphere, the decor and the overall feeling of the resort. Can't wait to stay at GF DVC! Wherever you choose have a great trip and enjoy!
clapton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:33 AM   #19
nfrank
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goopysolelady View Post
Sounds like a plan to me! I've never stayed at GF, while it's beautiful, I'm not the "GF type". My first choice of the monorail resorts would be The Poly....especially if you like the "tropical feeling". Some guest complain of it being "old and out of date" but that doesn't make it any less beautiful. You can't beat grounds like this:
UGH! I keep looking at your Poly pictures and they keep tempting me! LOL
nfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:36 AM   #20
nfrank
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
I just wanted to add, just because you will be living abroad, doesn't mean you can't vacation at wdw anymore, there are plenty of people on this board who live in Europe, and elsewhere who travel to wdw.
Oh, I know.... I just know that with the 17+ hour flight (and flight cost alone) it will become much less likely. Plus, if I'm going to fly back to the States, I'd probably be more likely to visit family than go to Disney. And, unfortunately, my family is full of sour pusses who will never even go on vacation, let alone to Disney.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:37 AM   #21
nfrank
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty57 View Post
Do you know which park or parks you will spend the most time in? If MK, I agree that somewhere on the monorail or WL might be best. I have stayed at BLT, Poly and WL, but my favorite location is the Epcot area. BC and YC have SAB, which is the best pool on WDW property...so much fun. I love walking to both Epcot and DHS. I've stayed at BC quite a few times and absolutely love it. BW is also nice, but I prefer BC for SAB. My trip in May will be at the Dolphin, after staying at the Swan last June. Still get the Epcot location, but at the price of a moderate resort. Swan/Dolphin also have a very nice pool and pool bars.
Honestly, I really love both MK and Epcot. I don't know that I could pick one over the other. I'm just kind of "Meh" about HS and AK.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:27 AM   #22
nfrank
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtinaDitty View Post
I hope you still get the chance to visit WDW after you go abroad!

My husband and I honeymooned the exact time you are planning on going just this last year (2012). We stayed July 22-29. The crowds weren't terrible, but yes there are less crowded times.

As for the resort, we stayed at the contemporary and really did not like it. While it is a beautiful resort in a modern way, the staff was not up to Disney standards and the elevators were broken half the stay. We just had a lot of issues, outlined in my TR below if interested in reading more about them.

We did visit the Poly while on our honeymoon as it was originally between the Poly and the CR. DH chose CR because he felt Poly looked outdated. One step into the Poly and we knew that this was the resort we should have stayed at. The staff was so friendly and it was just beautiful there! It was like going to another world! We are staying at the Poly in December and I cannot wait to actually stay there!

Have a great trip!
Sorry about your vacation at the CR! That was terrible!

That said.... you and your DH are both SO ADORABLE! Seriously! You look like very happy big kids at heart. I hope you have a great time at the Poly when you visit next! I'm thinking that I may very well do the Poly at this point.... or at least a split stay (half at the Poly and half somewhere else).
Old 03-01-2013, 01:29 AM   #23
nfrank
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS1125 View Post
Are you doing a pkg with dining or opposed to a split stay? You could to BC for Epcot/DHS days then move to the Poly for MK and another day at Epcot if you want! You could go to AK from whichever
Hmmmmmmmmmmm..... I THINK YOU MAY HAVE SOLVED MY CONUNDRUM! But is a 5 - 8 night stay worth the split stay? I doubt I'd be doing dining.... but it is possible. (Probably not, though. I did it last October, and even with just "Room Plus Dine" it seemed like WAAAAAAAAAAAY too much food!)
Old 03-01-2013, 07:34 AM   #24
patty57
DIS Veteran

I forgot to include that I had also stayed at the Grand Floridian a long time ago. I'm going to just come out and recommend BC. It's my favorite for the location and SAB. You can't go wrong wherever you stay, and you'll be happy with your choice. My personal favorite is BC.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #25
nfrank
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty57
I forgot to include that I had also stayed at the Grand Floridian a long time ago. I'm going to just come out and recommend BC. It's my favorite for the location and SAB. You can't go wrong wherever you stay, and you'll be happy with your choice. My personal favorite is BC.
Honestly, from the pictures, the pros, and what people have said.... I think I'd really love the BC. But I'm still having a hard time choosing between it and the Poly. Would I be completely crazy to do a split stay to try each? We'll be there between 6 - 8 nights (depending on if we drive vs. if we fly).

January 25 - 31, 2014 - Tokyo Disney Resort (Tokyo Disneyland/Tokyo DisneySea) - Offsite (Hotel Lumiere Kasai)
July 25 - 28, 2013 - Disney Cruise Line - Disney Dream
July 19 - 25, 2013 - Walt Disney World - Disney's Polynesian Resort
October 24 - 30, 2012 - Walt Disney World - Coronado Springs Resort
Old 03-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #26
Poohsmommi
Mouseketeer

Christmas - FL resident rate

<deleted my me> I posted this in the wrong place. Sorry.
Poohsmommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #27
nickymaria
Mouseketeer

I think you would be more than fine with a split stay! It all depends on how you feel about packing up and moving. If it's no big deal, then definitely do it. (We did BLT & BWV last year - loved both) But for some people packing and moving takes a day so they don't like to do it. What I did is pack up the night before, head out the next morning, drop your bags at Guest Services for the transfer, and head to whatever park. Then, in the afternoon, I would go to the new hotel and check in, unpack, change for dinner/pool/whatever. I found it took very little out of my vacation and I really loved being able to do both the MK and EP locations - I arrange my ADRs around which resorts we were close too which was fun (and at BC you can walk into Epcot for dinner too!). If you're worried about not having your bags if your room isn't ready then keep a small backpack with you with your swimsuits, or put them in a smaller carry-on that you can pull easily from Guest Services if need be. I also did a split stay in October at AoA and WL and everything went very smoothly. It's really quite easy.
04/1998 - CBR, 05/2006 - Off site, 11/2008 - SSR, 1/2010 - BCV, 12/2010 - AKL, 3/2011 - Dolphin, 11/2011 - CBR, 3/2012 - BLT & BWV, 10/2012 - AoA & WL, 2/2013 - Off site (boo!), 4/2013 Disneyland, 11/2013 - BCV, 3/2013 Cruised the Wonder!

No current ticker, but hoping for a 3/2105 Fantasy Cruise...
nickymaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #28
nfrank
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickymaria
I think you would be more than fine with a split stay! It all depends on how you feel about packing up and moving. If it's no big deal, then definitely do it. (We did BLT & BWV last year - loved both) But for some people packing and moving takes a day so they don't like to do it. What I did is pack up the night before, head out the next morning, drop your bags at Guest Services for the transfer, and head to whatever park. Then, in the afternoon, I would go to the new hotel and check in, unpack, change for dinner/pool/whatever. I found it took very little out of my vacation and I really loved being able to do both the MK and EP locations - I arrange my ADRs around which resorts we were close too which was fun (and at BC you can walk into Epcot for dinner too!). If you're worried about not having your bags if your room isn't ready then keep a small backpack with you with your swimsuits, or put them in a smaller carry-on that you can pull easily from Guest Services if need be. I also did a split stay in October at AoA and WL and everything went very smoothly. It's really quite easy.
I think a lot of it will depend on whether we drive or fly. If we drive, we can always pack different suitcases for different hotels. But if we fly, we will probably have to live out of the suitcase at the first resort if we do not want to have to spend much time packing.

January 25 - 31, 2014 - Tokyo Disney Resort (Tokyo Disneyland/Tokyo DisneySea) - Offsite (Hotel Lumiere Kasai)
July 25 - 28, 2013 - Disney Cruise Line - Disney Dream
July 19 - 25, 2013 - Walt Disney World - Disney's Polynesian Resort
October 24 - 30, 2012 - Walt Disney World - Coronado Springs Resort
Old 03-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #29
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfrank View Post
Honestly, from the pictures, the pros, and what people have said.... I think I'd really love the BC. But I'm still having a hard time choosing between it and the Poly. Would I be completely crazy to do a split stay to try each? We'll be there between 6 - 8 nights (depending on if we drive vs. if we fly).
No it's not crazy. We do split stays every trip. It's better if you can stay at least 4 night at each resort, but for my family a split-stay is much more fun than a week or two at just one resort.

Having stayed at the BC and the Poly (both on split-stays) I will add that they are very different resorts -- I am happy at either one -- but if you split you get to experience 2 instead of one.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #30
toodycat
DIS Veteran

We love the Grand Floridian---beautiful theming, gorgeous lobby, great transportation options, perfect views of the fireworks and many awesome restaurant choices. If we can't stay there, we usually stay at AKL which has nearly all the good points of the GF minus the transportation and view of the fireworks. Both properties have lovely pools and great CMs.

We've stayed at the Poly twice and tried to love it, but other than the large rooms, view of the fireworks and excellent transport, we weren't impressed. The lobby is small, the dining is meh, and I get really tired of hearing the drumming from "spirit of Aloha" every night.
Polynesian 06, 00
Wilderness Lodge 05 Grand Californian 04
Animal Kingdom Lodge 02, 10 Coronado 02, 01
Disney Magic 12, 09, 06, 02, 01
Disney Wonder 05
offsite 83, 89, 91
toodycat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: