Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
GervaisCouple
Mouseketeer

What to look for in travel insurance?

Hi...so, is travel insurance a wise decision? And if so, what features should I look for? We passed on the DCL Insurance option...and we booked back in December, so is that an issue? (Or does the proximity of purchase related to your booknig date only matter for pre-existing conditions?...which, thankfully, we do not have)

We travel next February on the 7 day, Western on the Fantasy...it will be DH and me and our two boys (8 and 5).

We plan to fly in the day before we leave...so, my biggest concern is really that someone would come down with the flu or something that would keep us from going and/or enjoying the trip...

(I believe the company I work for has a limited insurance policy...sounds like it will cover flying us home if we are stuck or something...but I need to confirm.)

Love to hear your thoughts on terms to look for in travel insurance, good prices to pay, companies to use, etc.

THANKS in advance!
GervaisCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:01 AM   #2
sippican
Mouseketeer

We always purchase our travel insurance from ***************** There, you are able to compare various plans and find the one that best works for you. I find the prices lower than the cruiseline's, and the coverage better.
Others like the squaremouth website.
Be aware that the "cancel for any reason" coverage sometimes requires that the policy be purchased within so many days of booking and since you booked in December, you may find it hard to get that.
sippican is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #3
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

I agree with what sippican posted above. Also, be aware that "Cancel for any Reason" insurance almost always only reimburses you for only a percentage of your costs (like 60%, but it varies). But it's better than getting nothing.

If all you are worried about is someone getting sick or injured just before you cruise, and you don't have any health issues (anything that is diagnosed or changes during the 60 - 120 days (look back period) prior to purchasing the policy), then you don't care about pre-existing condition waivers. However, if you have an elderly parent whose heart condition may worsen and cause you to cancel your trip, you need to take into consideration what their health is like during that same lookback period.

Check out www.***************** or www.tripinsurancestore.com, and compare the different coverages and what they cost. If you really are already covered for medical evacuation, then the big question is trip cancellation, trip interruption and medical coverage for things that occur during your trip (as a lot of medical insurance does not cover you outside of the USA).

I will never travel outside the country without trip insurance. And I will buy it for really expensive domestic trips, also.

Sayhello

ETA: Look for insurance that covers medical evacuation (if you don't have that coverage) for at least $50,000. Look for insurance that doesn't require that the airport be closed for your trip interruption coverage to kick in (if you miss your flight due to weather). Look for insurance that covers you for bad weather and for unrest in the country you are going to. Look for insurance that is primary vs secondary (primary insurance covers you up front, whereas secondary covers whatever your personal insurance does not cover, so you have to file with your personal insurance first). That one isn't a deal breaker; it's just more convenient. Look for a policy that pays you for trip delay after the shortest amount of time (some make you wait 6 hours. Some 12, etc). Look for insurance that covers you in case of provider default. That's just some of the stuff off the top of my head. Again, comparison sites like www.***************** and www.tripinsurancestore.com will help you with that kind of thing in their comparisons.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

Last edited by sayhello; 02-28-2013 at 12:38 PM.
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
GervaisCouple
Mouseketeer

Great tips...keep them coming!
GervaisCouple is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: