Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #1
chiburple
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 343

Palo Reservations: Fact or Myth

Iím trying to get Palo reservations for my family and I heard the following rumors. Can anyone confirm or deny any of them?

1) Only tables for two or four are available, so a family of five (like mine) will have to split up over two tables

2) 50% of Palo reservations are held back until embarkation day, so if you canít pre-book what you want (which I couldnít), then try to arrive early on embarkation day to get a reservation

3) You can only ask to be waitlisted once on the ship

4) On the Disney Wonder (my ship for this cruise), reservations on board donít open up till 1pm so thereís no point in arriving early

Also, if they hold back some reservations, does anyone know if they open up a few more spots at the 75 day mark? As silver I was able to book a table for two 90 days out, but two members of my family don't have castaway status so I have to wait till the 75 day mark to add them to my reservation and it looks like there are no spots left.

Please help. I really want to get my family a Palo brunch because Iíve heard such good things. Knowing what to expect might go a long way to helping me succeed.
__________________
chiburple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 2 miles north of the Castle!
Posts: 21,325

  1. There certainly are tables for parties of 5 (and larger).
  2. I don't know about the actual percentage of Palo reservations that can be pre-booked but there is usually pretty good availability when you board
  3. They will give you an actual dining time on board. No waitlist needed.
  4. Correct. Only if you want to be right at the front of the line, which really isn't necessary.
__________________
OKW Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
Kristen K
Earning My Ears
 
Kristen K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norhtern IL
Posts: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiburple View Post
Also, if they hold back some reservations, does anyone know if they open up a few more spots at the 75 day mark? As silver I was able to book a table for two 90 days out, but two members of my family don't have castaway status so I have to wait till the 75 day mark to add them to my reservation and it looks like there are no spots left.
Ut oh! Now I'm feeling a little nervous. Were the members that aren't CC that you couldn't book for in your stateroom or in another room? I'll be traveling with my non-CC daughter (same stateroom) and really wanted to be able to make a Palo reservation for us at the 90 day mark.
Kristen K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
Weedy
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Orlando, Fl
Posts: 1,596

I'm pretty sure if your in the same stateroom your OK.

I know you didn't ask this question but just an FYI you have to be 18 years old or older to eat at Palo
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
zippingalong
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 366

I've done a large party at Palo that I booked on board no problem.
zippingalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 17,170

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiburple View Post
Iím trying to get Palo reservations for my family and I heard the following rumors. Can anyone confirm or deny any of them?

1) Only tables for two or four are available, so a family of five (like mine) will have to split up over two tables

2) 50% of Palo reservations are held back until embarkation day, so if you canít pre-book what you want (which I couldnít), then try to arrive early on embarkation day to get a reservation

3) You can only ask to be waitlisted once on the ship

4) On the Disney Wonder (my ship for this cruise), reservations on board donít open up till 1pm so thereís no point in arriving early

Also, if they hold back some reservations, does anyone know if they open up a few more spots at the 75 day mark? As silver I was able to book a table for two 90 days out, but two members of my family don't have castaway status so I have to wait till the 75 day mark to add them to my reservation and it looks like there are no spots left.

Please help. I really want to get my family a Palo brunch because Iíve heard such good things. Knowing what to expect might go a long way to helping me succeed.
1. Yes, there are tables large enough for 5.

2. Yes, there will be reservations available onboard.

3. When the reservations run out onboard, there is a waitlist, but you are not automatically put on it as long as reservations are available.

4. Can't really answer this, as we usually don't board until 12:15-12:30. It's always been open when we've gone there and no line.

50% of the available reservations are released to be booked pre-cruise. That number (whatever it is) is available fully from the 120 day mark on. It's not separated out to the different booking windows.

I will point out that as long as you have one reservation already, it's really easy to add people to an already existing reservation. But keep checking, as people do cancel before the cruise all the time.

I see you're asking about brunch, just be aware there aren't as many brunch reservations as there are dinner ones, as brunch is only served on sea days and dinner is every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen K View Post
Ut oh! Now I'm feeling a little nervous. Were the members that aren't CC that you couldn't book for in your stateroom or in another room? I'll be traveling with my non-CC daughter (same stateroom) and really wanted to be able to make a Palo reservation for us at the 90 day mark.
If a room with CC members is able to make a reservation, they can make the reservation for the total number of people in the room, regardless of CC status of the others.
__________________

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate
 
TDC Nala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far enough outside the Beltway
Posts: 59,204
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen K View Post
Ut oh! Now I'm feeling a little nervous. Were the members that aren't CC that you couldn't book for in your stateroom or in another room? I'll be traveling with my non-CC daughter (same stateroom) and really wanted to be able to make a Palo reservation for us at the 90 day mark.
If you're in the same stateroom you can make them according to your own status for both you and your daughter.

The problem comes with making reservations for a separate, linked stateroom that has a lower CC status. That you can't do, until reservations open up for that stateroom.

There are definitely tables for 5, and for more than 5.
__________________
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!
 
lbgraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 48,532

The last time we were on the Wonder in 2011 Palo reservations opened up when boarding began. We were in boarding group 1 in Vancouver and went directly to Wavebands to confirm our private room reservations. This has also been the case on the Magic whenever we have cruised. The change for the Wonder seemed to take place when it switched to the 7-night itineraries.

You may not be able to make a reservation online for 5 people together. However, if you book everyone with seperate reservations, you can go to the Palo resie location and have them link those reservations without a problem after you board.
__________________
Lisa

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013



DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads

Last edited by lbgraves; 02-28-2013 at 12:00 PM.
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #9
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 17,170

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
The last time we were on the Wonder in 2011 Palo reservations opened up when boarding began. We were in boarding group 1 in Vancouver and went directly to RNBD to confirm our private room reservations. This has also been the case on the Magic whenever we have cruised. The change for the Wonder seemed to take place when it switched to the 7-night itineraries.

You may not be able to make a reservation online for 5 people together. However, if you book everyone with seperate reservations, you can go to the Palo resie location and have them link those reservations without a problem after you board.
Just a clarification, on the Wonder it's Wavebands where the dining changes and Palo reservation changes is handled on embarkation day.
__________________

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #10
chiburple
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 343

Thank you all so much! I feel much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
Just a clarification, on the Wonder it's Wavebands where the dining changes and Palo reservation changes is handled on embarkation day.
I didn't know that! I'll pull up a map and figure out where wavebands is before our embarkation day. It might just give me the edge if I end up having to get my reservation on board. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
If you're in the same stateroom you can make them according to your own status for both you and your daughter.

The problem comes with making reservations for a separate, linked stateroom that has a lower CC status. That you can't do, until reservations open up for that stateroom.

There are definitely tables for 5, and for more than 5.
Yes, this is exactly the situation I have. I'm the only one with cc status so I was able to book for everyone in my stateroom. However I can't book for the rest of my family even though our reservations are linked.

I have two of us booked for Palo brunch, but I'm worried about whether or not I will be able to add the other three.
__________________
chiburple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #11
Kristen K
Earning My Ears
 
Kristen K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norhtern IL
Posts: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
If a room with CC members is able to make a reservation, they can make the reservation for the total number of people in the room, regardless of CC status of the others.
Awesome! So I can book a table for my daughter and I, but our traveling companions in another room will have to add on to our table when general reservations open up. Thanks!
Kristen K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:38 AM   #12
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate
 
TDC Nala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far enough outside the Beltway
Posts: 59,204
DISboards Moderator

You won't be able to add them onto your table until you board the ship. It can't be done beforehand. They can either book their own reservation ahead of time, about the same time as yours, and you merge the two when you board, or you ask to have them added to your table when you board.

if it's something difficult to get like brunch, I'd go with the two reservations and merge when you board method.
__________________
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #13
lovetotraveltx
DIS Veteran
 
lovetotraveltx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 978

Where are Palo changes made on magic?
lovetotraveltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:47 AM   #14
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 17,170

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetotraveltx View Post
Where are Palo changes made on magic?
Rockin' Bar D. At least they were on our Magic cruises (last one 2010)
__________________

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:07 PM   #15
Kristen K
Earning My Ears
 
Kristen K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norhtern IL
Posts: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
You won't be able to add them onto your table until you board the ship. It can't be done beforehand. They can either book their own reservation ahead of time, about the same time as yours, and you merge the two when you board, or you ask to have them added to your table when you board.

if it's something difficult to get like brunch, I'd go with the two reservations and merge when you board method.
Oh! Okay good to know.
I'd love to do brunch, but I'm not even sure if we'll have one. Do they do them on 4 nights (Magic)? We have one day at Sea. If so can you make a reservation for dinner and brunch?
Kristen K is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.