Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #16
Heather1979
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortForever View Post
I would let them all have their own autograph books. I wouldn't rush them through either. Each one of them is entitled to the same experience as every other child in the line.

Try not to worry about the people behind you. They could see how many children were in the line when they arrived and chose to wait. It would take the same amount of time if each of your children belonged to a different family or if they are all siblings.

The only thing I wouldn't do is get a million different configurations of group pictures. Like the boys, then the girls, then mom & boy, mom & girl, Dad & boys, Dad & girls, etc.

But, as far as each child having their own individual time and autograph, I would say absolutely do it and don't feel bad at all.
I totally agree!

Off site 1987, 1998, & 2003, Pop century 2006, Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012, Bay Lake Tower 2013
Heather1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:24 AM   #17
jennylyn_b
Disney Fan for Life :)

Yes I have to agree and say if you can afford the money and time, then let them have their own autograph books and get their own photos! I have one child and only one but she doesn't deserve any more time with a character than each of your children! It's not like you are waiting in line with one and the other four suddenly show up! If they wait like everyone else they deserve to enjoy their time.
jennylyn_b is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #18
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

I have to say that I don't think there is anything wrong with it but there is no way I could do it. Maybe I am too self conscious. But I rush my kids though. I feel bad for all the other kids waiting. Yes, I hear what everyone else is saying about everyone is waiting but personally, I couldn't do it. I would be too worried about everyone looking at us, thinking we are taking too long. Wondering why they got stuck behind the big family who needs individual pictures and signings. I am happy to hear that is probably my insecurities and not the majority. But my luck, I would get in front of "that person". I have had people sigh many times in WDW when they get behind our "party of 6" on a ride or to meet characters. After our Pirate cruise this past May we were off the boat first and pretty much first in line to see Peter Pan. A mother started yelling to her son and daughter to "Run! You can't get behind all these kids, don't you want to see Peter Pan? They will take forever. Run." Needless to say, we let them go first! But that is just me. Not a judgement on anyone else. But, I know I will continue to rush my kids though! And I don't even give them autograph books. One photo and we are done! I must be the mean mom. (Although dad could never handle having to wait for 4 autograph books to be signed so I couldn't even give them that option if I wanted to!)
OP, all kidding aside. If you are comfortable, then do it. It totally depends on what you want and not what others think.

wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #19
6disneykids
Mouseketeer

I get the " looks" all the time when we have our 6 kids with us, sometime we even get the "looks" when we only have 3 or 4 with us

The larger you family is the more money you have spend just in admissions, so it could be argued that larger families have paid more for the experiences.

I think I am going to go with that
6disneykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #20
Wills Mom
DIS Veteran

I definitely agree with the other parents, let your kids have their individual time with the characters and let the people behind you wait their turn! Each child should be granted equal time with the characters regardless of how many siblings they have!
I only have one DS but I know what some of you mean about getting those "looks" lol. We paid for Express Passes at IOA a couple of years back and the amount if people that gave us the stink eye and were quite verbal about how it wasn't "fair" that we were skipping the queue was unbelieveable! I made sure to be equally as verbal is saying that we had in fact paid for the priviledge which any other guests were more than entitled to do also lol. It did make me uncomfortable but not enough to stop using the passes - and although you might get some mean minded guests queueing behind you giving you looks don't pay them any heed, focus on your kids and whats best for them

Wills First Adventure TR May 2013

Wills Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #21
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortForever
I would let them all have their own autograph books. I wouldn't rush them through either. Each one of them is entitled to the same experience as every other child in the line.

Try not to worry about the people behind you. They could see how many children were in the line when they arrived and chose to wait. It would take the same amount of time if each of your children belonged to a different family or if they are all siblings.

The only thing I wouldn't do is get a million different configurations of group pictures. Like the boys, then the girls, then mom & boy, mom & girl, Dad & boys, Dad & girls, etc.

But, as far as each child having their own individual time and autograph, I would say absolutely do it and don't feel bad at all.
I totally agree. Also, don't wait in line with one or two kids and then let the rest join at the last minute. I think that ticks people off too, like false advertising. If they can see your whole family ahead of them in the line, they can get used to the idea that you will take a little longer with the characters. I don't mean that if someone needs an emergency potty run that you one parent shouldn't take them and then get back in line ASAP. But in general the whole family should wait in line as much as possible.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #22
SunkistJoy
Earning My Ears

This is very interesting to me, as a mom of 5 kiddos planning our first DW visit. My kiddos don't know any different, and I think I'm going to only have them get one autograph for the whole group- of course, like everything else, I will probably change my mind on that 27 times before we actually leave . I just don't think we would want to carry around, or find a place at home for, 5 autograph books!

Thanks for the question and all the responses!

DH, Me,
SunkistJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #23
Tigger1221
DIS Veteran

I agree to let them each get their own pics and autographs. When I see a large family it doesn't bother me. It's the same as being behind 2-3 smaller families. The characters normally don't care either. Since DD was so young with some characters we tried to rush and not take much time but the characters wanted to interact and even made DH get in the picture. It is annoying when 12 people show up who weren't in line though. I understand 1 or 2 small children joining in. I would let each kid get a pic and autograph and then do a group shot.

April 2013-DD's 3rd trip, Dec.2012, Oct.2012- DD's 1st trips!!!!
Tigger1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:03 PM   #24
3pletprincesses
DIS Veteran

I have 4 kids and they each get individual pictures with the characters and the older 3 have their autograph books(the 4th is a baby). The days they don't feel like it, it's a group picture of the 6 of us. Let them have their time alone with the characters. It's priceless to see them get all excited.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #25
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortForever View Post

I agree!

As PP mentioned, having the autograph books open to the page you want signed and having a pen ready will speed up the autograph process.

Also, as far as pictures go, we end up with anywhere between 1-3 per character depending on who it is.
For example, if we are meeting the fairies - it would be one pic with DD then one with all the kids. Or, if it was Stitch, it might be a pic with just the boys and then one with everybody.
I find that if I speak up and say something like - "Buzz - you have been 'Joe's' favorite since he was just a little boy. Would it be all right if we took a quick picture with just 'Joe' and then one with everyone?" that it really helps. The character, the handler, the people behind me, and my own family know what's going on that way, the process goes quickly and nobody grumbles or tries to hurry you along as they know you won't be there too long.

SmallWorld71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:58 AM   #26
dunbarfamily
I'm a proud homebirthing crunchy mama who loves Walt Disney World!

Hi everyone! OP here! Thanks for all the great replies! My kids are excited to be able to get their own pictures and autographs. I guess I was just a chicken and I always feel guilty for taking too long. Same goes for buffets....it takes a long time to fix several plates. But, it is what it is, and I wouldn't have it any other way! :-)

Thank you for all your encouragement and advice! If anyone in line gives me grumbles, I'm coming back to this thread to re-read everyone's kind words.

Have a super day, everyone! :-)

Off to pack...we start our journey today!

Our next trip: April 27-May 2 2014
Past trips:1-13 Pop Century/1-12 BLT/10-11 AK/2-11 BLT & DCL/2-10 DCL & VWL/10-09 AS Movies/5-09 AS Movies/12-08 OKW/5-08 AS Sports/1-08 DCL& Villas at WL/9-07 AS Movies/12-06 AS Music/11-05 Offsite
And too many trips to count with grandma & papa when I was little

DVC members since June '07 at Animal Kingdom & Founding Members at Bay Lake

dunbarfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #27
jennylyn_b
Disney Fan for Life :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunbarfamily
Hi everyone! OP here! Thanks for all the great replies! My kids are excited to be able to get their own pictures and autographs. I guess I was just a chicken and I always feel guilty for taking too long. Same goes for buffets....it takes a long time to fix several plates. But, it is what it is, and I wouldn't have it any other way! :-)

Thank you for all your encouragement and advice! If anyone in line gives me grumbles, I'm coming back to this thread to re-read everyone's kind words.

Have a super day, everyone! :-)

Off to pack...we start our journey today!
Have a great trip! Don't let grumbles affect you. I like to chuckle at grumbles... It's the happiest place on earth and they are miserable. Poor people that they can't just enjoy it lol
jennylyn_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #28
jana616
DIS Veteran

I totally agree with the other posters that you should absolutely let each kid have their book and photo if that's what they want. I have 3 kids and they all get their own autographs, but then we do usually do just one group photo because they don't seem to care. But if they did, I would definitely let them get one by themselves. I also agree with the PPs that I would not let part of the family join another part that had been waiting in line, nor would I get a million configurations, but it sounds like you are a super thoughtful person (just the fact that you are even concerned with how doing the kids alone might affect others proves that!) so I know you never would. Have a great trip!!

2009 PTR! 100 Days til Our First Family Trip!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2190617
jana616 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: