Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 05:31 PM   #1891
Readerbug
Using My Ears

Pp, thanks for mentioning your blog. Will visit it!

A reader thought-

There's an old set of readers from the1960's, also, that my most 'special' learner son really took off with, and loved.

It's the Sam and Ann series from Sullivan Associates. They are phonetic plus limited sight words. His favorites were The Bag in the Sand, and The Witch and the Bat, because they were the first time he read over 100 pages(eventually) by himself and loved it. Still re-reads them, for fun, now a proficient 3rd grader.

I think he loves these because, beginning with the second and third books in the series, (the first is very basic, Pins and Pans) they tell real stories with funny( to a 6 year old-he was a big fan of Scooby Doo-type humor) comic pictures that carry consistent characters and a real plot line.

Each book has 3 or 4 good sized stories, about 64 pgs. You have to find them on Amazon or eBay used, though. I buy when they are under $8. They are very re- sellable, from my experience, but I'm keeping them for my grand kids cause they work so well.

(Anyone have any of these, or read 'em as a 70's kid?)

Me, DH edu IT man, 19, 17, 15, 13, 10, 7.
Readerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:48 PM   #1892
Nanu57v
Someone needs to tell the Tag Fairy to consult with me about spelling
Has her priorities in the right place

DMM-- Three thoughts: Maybe he needs a break, try Explode the Code online through Homeschoolbuyerscoop (like $25 for a year I think)...Alex thought it was a game!, and try reading the Bob books with him. They are so easy that it really motivated to read the short book.

Me DH DD15 DD9 DD5
Nanu57v is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #1893
Nicolepa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMommyMichelle View Post
For your field trips, have you considered going ahead with them and just having your other child do work while on the field trips? Maybe he needs a change in environment?
He will not work outside of the house. I've tried having him do work in the car, at McD's while his brother plays, library, etc. He will take something with him, but he will not do it.

He also cannot focus if we go do something and then I expect work when we get home.

So, anytime we leave the house I either have to do school in the am and outing in the afternoon or just forget about schoolwork for the day. I have to be home by 3 to do carpool for his older sister, so afternoon doesn't give us much time.
Nicolepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #1894
pocomom
Brr.....

Quote:
I am needing beginning reading help. I have a 5 year old that is learning to read. He knows all his letter sounds, phonics sounds and the like but when it comes time to sounding out words, he guesses. CAT - He will sound out the C and then just say Car, Can, Cup...anything that has a C beginning sound. We are using Starfall online as well. He loves being read to, can point out a word if I ask him to look for the word in a sentence....he just doesn't want to put it together.
I would get a copy of Peggy Kaye's games for reading- my younger dd didn't take to reading the way the older dd did, but hands on active games helped get her excited, once they are self -motivated it is so much easier. I felt like she was stressed out by trying, and maybe was getting pushed to hard. We ended up ditching all phonics, formal lessons and I just read to her, we played those games and others for an hour or so each day, and I started letting her stay up a little later for "reading" to herself. It was a long time before I realized she really was reading to herself. She's 7, in second grade and just started Harry Potter. I think even more important then learning to read is learning to love reading.
pocomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #1895
DisneyMommyMichelle
I'm a TP nerd!
John Travolta = YUMMY!!
Have to let the banana dance
Thanks everyone for making me feel normal today!
Dork here I know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readerbug View Post
Pp, thanks for mentioning your blog. Will visit it!

A reader thought-

There's an old set of readers from the1960's, also, that my most 'special' learner son really took off with, and loved.

It's the Sam and Ann series from Sullivan Associates. They are phonetic plus limited sight words. His favorites were The Bag in the Sand, and The Witch and the Bat, because they were the first time he read over 100 pages(eventually) by himself and loved it. Still re-reads them, for fun, now a proficient 3rd grader.

I think he loves these because, beginning with the second and third books in the series, (the first is very basic, Pins and Pans) they tell real stories with funny( to a 6 year old-he was a big fan of Scooby Doo-type humor) comic pictures that carry consistent characters and a real plot line.

Each book has 3 or 4 good sized stories, about 64 pgs. You have to find them on Amazon or eBay used, though. I buy when they are under $8. They are very re- sellable, from my experience, but I'm keeping them for my grand kids cause they work so well.

(Anyone have any of these, or read 'em as a 70's kid?)
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS!!!! I will check them out for sure! I'm willing to try anything!!

Just a Rebel Homeschooler I guess....
2013 Reading Challenge 257 out of 250
DisneyMommyMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #1896
DisneyMommyMichelle
I'm a TP nerd!
John Travolta = YUMMY!!
Dork here I know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanu57v View Post
DMM-- Three thoughts: Maybe he needs a break, try Explode the Code online through Homeschoolbuyerscoop (like $25 for a year I think)...Alex thought it was a game!, and try reading the Bob books with him. They are so easy that it really motivated to read the short book.
YES, I just found the link for explode the code, since a PP mentioned it. It's 35 for the year and I am thinking we are going to try it! We are working on just reading to him for the rest of this week and he can play his starfall games that he adores. That way it's not too much.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #1897
kc10family
Fly Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Stepody View Post
Has anyone here used Connections Academy? We home school, but I was considering this for my DS who will be entering 9th grade next year. However, I just noticed under the requirements that he needs to have attended public school the year prior to enrollment. If any of you have enrolled in this program, was there any way around this?
I have not but my kids use Alpha Omega Academy and love it. Have you checked K12.com, It may work for you. K12 will not wotk for us because we want to move and grove as we feel like it and not be on the public school schedule.

Best wishes!
kc10family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #1898
Nicolepa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
For your field trips, have you considered going ahead with them and just having your other child do work while on the field trips? Maybe he needs a change in environment?
I think for K we are going to focus on learning games. My little guy really enjoys those. Then the big kid can pretend to do his thing upstairs. ;-). The following year he will be in school and I can Mae that a field trip year with my little one.
Nicolepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:52 AM   #1899
Aunt Stepody
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc10family View Post
I have not but my kids use Alpha Omega Academy and love it. Have you checked K12.com, It may work for you. K12 will not wotk for us because we want to move and grove as we feel like it and not be on the public school schedule.

Best wishes!
Thank you for responding. I will definitely look into the Alpha Omega Academy. Do you mind me asking what grades you use it for?

Yes, I looked at K12 also. After doing a little more research, neither form of on-line public school will work for us either. My focus is to find a quality, accredited program that provides a transcript in the end. However, like you, we also want to maintain the flexibility that we have with home school.

I am seriously considering NorthStar Academy. They seem to meet all my requirements. Your student (grades 5-12) can take up to 52 weeks to complete a 36 week program (now that's flexibility). Not that we want to stretch it that far, but we do like to take vacations at off-peak times every now and then. They have a parent-led program (non-accredited) and a teacher-led program (accredited). I also like NSA because they provide a Christian-based education.

If anybody else has any ideas, I would love to hear them. TIA.
Aunt Stepody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:09 AM   #1900
DisneyMommyMichelle
I'm a TP nerd!
John Travolta = YUMMY!!
Dork here I know!

Quote:
Has anyone here used Connections Academy? We home school, but I was considering this for my DS who will be entering 9th grade next year. However, I just noticed under the requirements that he needs to have attended public school the year prior to enrollment. If any of you have enrolled in this program, was there any way around this?
I have not, but I noticed you were looking for an accredited program with transcripts at the end. We use SETON and it offers all of this. It is a Catholic program but allows you 12 months to finish the 10 month program and for an additional fee, you can even tack on 4 more months to that! We absolutely love it, but are just getting started.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #1901
kc10family
Fly Chick

Quote:
Thank you for responding. I will definitely look into the Alpha Omega Academy. Do you mind me asking what grades you use it for?

Yes, I looked at K12 also. After doing a little more research, neither form of on-line public school will work for us either. My focus is to find a quality, accredited program that provides a transcript in the end. However, like you, we also want to maintain the flexibility that we have with home school.

I am seriously considering NorthStar Academy. They seem to meet all my requirements. Your student (grades 5-12) can take up to 52 weeks to complete a 36 week program (now that's flexibility). Not that we want to stretch it that far, but we do like to take vacations at off-peak times every now and then. They have a parent-led program (non-accredited) and a teacher-led program (accredited). I also like NSA because they provide a Christian-based education.

If anybody else has any ideas, I would love to hear them. TIA.
I donít mind you asking at all. I have a 3rd and 5th grader. AOA is Christian based and has many different options, cdís, hard book and online (we do all online) and has an accredited program. IMO, this is the best of both worlds. If my girls donít want to listen to what I have to say about something ( I like to get into the lessons with them) they can call into the school and talk with a teacher or even go to an online classroom where they interact with the teacher one on one. The school keeps all of the administrative records and when we move (we are military); I donít have to worry about changing states/ countries and rules. I like that my girls can do a lesson on an ipad while driving or on a plane. We got hit by Hurricane Sandy (lost power for a week), I called into the school and they without question rest the dates of the semester. AOA allows 12 months to finish a 10 month program but I will tell you, my girls finished last semester early even with the power outage.
Feel free to ask me anything else. If you want to see a sample of the lessons, send me a pm.
kc10family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #1902
momimouse27
Just a Big Kid!

Anyone have any experience with K5 math Internet lessons? I think my son needs something that feels like a game when he's learning and this might fit the bill but it's kind of pricey.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #1903
DisneyMommyMichelle
I'm a TP nerd!
John Travolta = YUMMY!!
Dork here I know!

Share your day with me please! Do you keep a schedule? Lean more towards the formal or informal?

I have 3 kids in Kindergarten, 1st and 3rd grade.
We start between 8 and 8:30 daily.
On a daily basis we do: Reading,Math, Writing, Language & Religion, Spelling
I alternate History and Science.

I require my kids to get dressed on a daily basis, eat and brush teeth before starting and then we head about our day. If we are spending the day at a museum or library, I allow time for travel and such but aim to stay on a schedule as much as possible. Our day usually ends around noon.

How about you?

Old 03-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #1904
momimouse27
Just a Big Kid!

Hi DMM,

Our schedule is similar. But since my son has Aspbergers we have to be flexible. I am not a morning person, so we start ours starts a bit later.

8:30-9:30. Breakfast, dressing, brush teeth
9:30-10:00. Clean room
10:00-10:45. Reading/journal
10:45-11:15 science/History (we alternate too)
Short break
11:30-12:00. Spelling
Lunch
1:15 math
2:00-2:30 writing/grammar

We also spend time reading books that relate to science or history and go to the library. We do other stuff I count as school, like play mad libs and scrabble. We are still working out the kinks
Old 03-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #1905
DisneyMom5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Share your day with me please! Do you keep a schedule? Lean more towards the formal or informal?

I have 3 kids in Kindergarten, 1st and 3rd grade.
We start between 8 and 8:30 daily.
On a daily basis we do: Reading,Math, Writing, Language & Religion, Spelling
I alternate History and Science.

I require my kids to get dressed on a daily basis, eat and brush teeth before starting and then we head about our day. If we are spending the day at a museum or library, I allow time for travel and such but aim to stay on a schedule as much as possible. Our day usually ends around noon.

How about you?
We do afternoon school (though my sixteen year old starts in the morning.)
After years of trying to be like everyone else and start school first thing in the morning, I have realized that our natural rhythm is afternoon.
Giving in to that has helped immensely. We are usually done by 4 or 5.
I have preschool, 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 8th, and 11th (and one graduate! )
DisneyMom5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: