Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
fulseasmama
Mouseketeer

Renting house nearby vs staying at hotel one block away on Harbor

We are planning a trip for July or Early August this year and instead of staying at a hotel on Harbor like we always have I am thinking of renting a home about 1/2 mile walking away from the Mickey and Friends parking tram. Since we normally have to get three hotel rooms for our group anyway the price difference is not that much for what you seem to gain. I love the idea of more space for everyone and our own pool. I also like the idea of staying for 10 nights and having 5 park days with days off swimming, relaxing and going to the beach as an option without moving hotels for part of the trip. I am a bit worried about being so much further away with two kids ages 6 and 7 making the longer walk. Any tips? Thanks so much!
Bibbiti Bobbiti Make A Wish Helps our Boo Have Her Princess Wishes Come True!!!
fulseasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:57 PM   #2
tdhickey
DIS Veteran

The surrounding area isn't exactly the nicest part of town to be honest...I'd stick with the hotels.
tdhickey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2013, 12:21 AM   #3
theluckyrabbit
DIS Veteran

Agree with the above poster -- I wouldn't be comfortable staying in a residential area near the parks and walking, especially at night and with children. Can you rent a time share or stay in the larger hotel suites?
theluckyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:38 AM   #4
theggs4ever
Mouseketeer

I grew up in a neighborhood near Ball and Walnut and my parents still lived there up until last June. No way no how would I walk at night even without kids. And that's the nicest area near Disneyland everywhere else around it is way worse. I also taught at the elementary school I went to for 14 years. Please get a hotel. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
theggs4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
fulseasmama
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the replies. We will have cars and can drive so I guess I will just have to decide if that's the way to go or if we should decide on a harbor hotel again. Thanks for your advice! I love the DIS.
Bibbiti Bobbiti Make A Wish Helps our Boo Have Her Princess Wishes Come True!!!
fulseasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
CalvaryMike
DIS Veteran

Saw this the news:

Disney Themed house rental
CalvaryMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #7
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Are you driving to CA? You mentioned having cars. Are you used to driving in CA? Just asking because it isn't the easiest place to drive. Actually, I hate it. Just thought I would warn you because parking the car and walking for the week the time we decided to drive down to DL from Portland OR was the best decision I EVER made. Driving in LA is stressful. And that is to put it nicely. I certainly would not want to drive in and out every day. JMO
Old 02-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
theggs4ever
Mouseketeer

Well if you have cars, that's a different story. It might be worth it. If you want advice on the area the house is in, feel free to ask.
theggs4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:05 AM   #9
It'sKim
Mouseketeer

We just got back from spending 2 weeks in a townhouse on Walnut. It's a complex that has several different units in it that people rent for vacation homes. My sister stayed in another unit for 2 weeks in April as well.

I never once felt unsafe walking with or without kids, in our group or by myself, or at day or night. There were usually tons of people around as it was busy and A LOT of people were just walking to the parking structure instead of waiting for the trams. From the tram it was about a 5 min max walk to the townhouse. (It was about a 10 min walk total if you didn't take the tram.) Again, usually there were some other people around, but if not there was a ton of traffic. There are also plenty of street lights.

I live in a very safe neighborhood in Canada, and I felt the same comfort level that I do at home. When taking the shuttle to the townhouse, the area nearby definitely looked run down and shabby, but again, we never once felt unsafe walking.

We went with my sisters family and the townhouse was actually a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than 2 hotel rooms for the 2 weeks. We didn't get a free breakfast that most hotels offer, but we cooked our own dinners and packed good lunches into the parks as we had access to a full kitchen. That alone saved another several hundred dollars.

The townhouse complex also had 3 pools, a hot tub, and a playground.

The walk was a little longer, but overall it was 100% worth it to rent the townhouse, especially as we were a group that would have needed more than 1 hotel room.

Another plus to the townhouse is that you don't have to worry near as much about your kids being noisy. There are also multiple bathrooms, so no waiting as long for showers etc.

I definitely recommend going the rental route, especially if you are a large group.
It'sKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:03 AM   #10
jennilouwho
DIS Veteran

We stayed at a condo behind the parking structure and we never felt unsafe either. There were always lots of people walking back there. I loved the place we rented and I'd stay there again, but I realized that I like having maid service better. When we stayed in the house it was with my mother in law, sister-in-law and her kids, so it was nice to have the space and kitchen. When it's just our family I'm okay with a hotel room.
jennilouwho is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: