Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #2926
angel's momma
DIS Veteran

I don't sew, but I need some help finding some embroidery or applique pictures please.

I've used pictures to help me draw some pictures on packages, and as I was decorating Jacob's package I realized I could try to paint a few designs on shirts for Angel's trip.

There was a design we saw of a cute little giraffe wearing Mickey ears that she especially loved. I think it may have been on a pant leg. i tried google, but didn't find it.

I am also looking for a few suggestions on simple designs that I might be able to do. I plan to use the designs that I've drawn on the packages - the cruise ship, DCL wave (though that one did cause me fits), and a 4 parks one that had a simple outline of the castle, ball, hat, & tree. I managed a R2D2 Mickey head for Trev, but my attempts at Vader or a Stormtrooper didn't go well, so I do need pretty simple designs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pretrip Report: Angel's Make a Wish Cruise on the Dream /and extended days at WDW PTR :We have dates 4/13-25
Trip Report: Angel's Make a Wish DREAM Cruise & extended days at wdw: April 13-25, 2013

Previous trips: 2013 Apr. 18-25 2010 May 8-15 2009 Dec. 4-11 2008 Dec. 15-24 2008 Aug. 30-Sept 7
2007 Sept. 1-8 2006 Dec. 9-16 2006 Sept. 26-Oct.3 2005 Sept. 25-Oct.8 2004 Dec. 11-21 All at POP
CRUISE 2013 Apr. 14-18 Disney DREAM
angel's momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #2927
sewmess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnanddbyz View Post
: sad:
My machine offically died this morning. It has been coming for quite a while. It was an old singer with metal gears. I had worn the gears down and had to baby her along for the last 2 years. Well today her motor gave out. Will cost way to much to replace the gears, that is why I have been babying her.

I had a Brother from Walmart as a spare. We moved last July and I have not used it since way before we moved. It is toast too. I think the move must have shook it around too much. It will only make bird's nests. (It was pretty bad before the move horrible machine NEVER buy a machine from Walmart). It is useless now. I feel lost. Knew you guys would understand. It feels like I have lost a close friend. And NOOOO sewing until I can save the money and figure out what I want to replace her. :s ad:
That may be the saddest thing I've ever heard. Although, what I would do is take this time to learn a new crafty skill; knitting or crochet or hand needlework or polymer clay or beading. But I like learning new things and am addicted to thrift store shopping (for knitting needles and so on.)

Thanks to everyone for the sympathies on my computer woes. It only seems to load up one or two photos before going into the loading zone of foreverness, so maybe I can get some up when I try later this week.

I will definitely sign up for a big give soon. I have an entire box of Disney themed fabric and embelishments that I want to play with but have no good reason to right now.

Now planning for 2014 - 10th Anniversary
'90:School 3 days at 3 parks + 3day Diz cruise (pre DCL) 2004: POP, 6 months after wedding to DH 2006: ASMovies DSis 50th b'day 2008: POR Herding Cats (Apr) 2008: ASMovies Redo/Freezing Bits Off (Nov) 2009 & 2010: CBR just DH & me 2011: CBR Herding Different Cats 2012: CBR Alone Again, Happily 2013: Time Out from the YotS
sewmess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #2928
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post

I hope you will recover quickly so you can see your mom. I also hope that your mom will recover quickly from her hip replacement. Certainly that would improve the quality of her life once she is through the rehab.
She has put off the hip replacement for a few years so her hip was really bad by the time she had it done. I am sure that once she recovers, she will be able to be so much more active than before! At first they said that they were sending her directly home from the hospital after only 2 days. But today they decided that she does need to go to rehab. She is being transferred there this evening. It is a relief for my dad because he has been worried about being able to help her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2 View Post
I did a big give and was very nervous about doing a good enough job. But I guess I did okay and have signed up for another one. It is a great way to pay it forward! The kids are adorable!! So just jump in and don't worry about pro or not pro. I'm certainly NOT a pro!
I agree that the Big Gives are a wonderful way to pay it forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babynala View Post
You would be singing "M-I-C K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E" all day and craving Skippy peanut butter.
I thought the same things about the name Annette! I guess great minds think alike!

Quote:
My machine offically died this morning. It has been coming for quite a while. It was an old singer with metal gears. I had worn the gears down and had to baby her along for the last 2 years. Well today her motor gave out. Will cost way to much to replace the gears, that is why I have been babying her.

And NOOOO sewing until I can save the money and figure out what I want to replace her. :s ad:
So sad about your machines! Maybe you can find something inexpensive on Craigslist or at a thrift store until you can save up for exactly what you want. I saw a decent looking sewing machine at a thrift store last week for $20. I almost bought it for dd to play with but changed my mind at the last minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewmess View Post
Thanks to everyone for the sympathies on my computer woes. It only seems to load up one or two photos before going into the loading zone of foreverness, so maybe I can get some up when I try later this week.

I will definitely sign up for a big give soon. I have an entire box of Disney themed fabric and embelishments that I want to play with but have no good reason to right now.
I hope you get the computer issue straightened out soon. My computer has issues from time to time too. It usually ends up being some kind of virus and then DH has to fix it for me.

Big Gives are a great way to use up some of your Disney fabric!

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:14 PM   #2929
hey_jude
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel's momma View Post

There was a design we saw of a cute little giraffe wearing Mickey ears that she especially loved. I think it may have been on a pant leg. i tried google, but didn't find it.
You might have seen it in this PTR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....699745&page=11

The design is from http://www.froufroubyheathersue.com/

Dec 1972 - offsite visit to Disney World / Dec 1975 - offsite visit to Disney World / Mar 1993 - Dixie Landings / Aug 2008 - All Star Music / Aug-Sept 2009 - All Star Music, Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party / Aug 2010 - All Star Music, Bay Lake Tower / October 2010 - offsite visit to Disneyland, Mickey's Halloween Party / Aug 2011 - All Star Music / Aug-Sept 2014 - Caribbean Beach, Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party
hey_jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #2930
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2 View Post
I did a big give and was very nervous about doing a good enough job. But I guess I did okay and have signed up for another one. It is a great way to pay it forward! The kids are adorable!! So just jump in and don't worry about pro or not pro. I'm certainly NOT a pro!
I agree that doing the Gives are a good way to pay it forward. I know I am not a pro but the families seem to appreciate whatever I made, so I keep going!

Quote:

I had a Brother from Walmart as a spare. We moved last July and I have not used it since way before we moved. It is toast too. I think the move must have shook it around too much. It will only make bird's nests. (It was pretty bad before the move horrible machine NEVER buy a machine from Walmart). It is useless now. I feel lost. Knew you guys would understand. It feels like I have lost a close friend. And NOOOO sewing until I can save the money and figure out what I want to replace her. :s ad:
Oh no! I am sorry to hear about your machine woes! I hope you can get a replacement machine soon. Maybe you can find a used one on kijiji?

Quote:
I don't sew, but I need some help finding some embroidery or applique pictures please.

I've used pictures to help me draw some pictures on packages, and as I was decorating Jacob's package I realized I could try to paint a few designs on shirts for Angel's trip.

I am also looking for a few suggestions on simple designs that I might be able to do. I plan to use the designs that I've drawn on the packages - the cruise ship, DCL wave (though that one did cause me fits), and a 4 parks one that had a simple outline of the castle, ball, hat, & tree. I managed a R2D2 Mickey head for Trev, but my attempts at Vader or a Stormtrooper didn't go well, so I do need pretty simple designs.

I think you are describing one of Heather's design. You can probably go to her site and see the pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
She has put off the hip replacement for a few years so her hip was really bad by the time she had it done. I am sure that once she recovers, she will be able to be so much more active than before! At first they said that they were sending her directly home from the hospital after only 2 days. But today they decided that she does need to go to rehab. She is being transferred there this evening. It is a relief for my dad because he has been worried about being able to help her.
I am glad that she is getting the rehab support while she recovers. I hope she will be up and running quickly!

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:06 PM   #2931
angel's momma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_jude View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post
I think you are describing one of Heather's design. You can probably go to her site and see the pictures?
Yes, that's it, thank you! Her site is wonderful

Pretrip Report: Angel's Make a Wish Cruise on the Dream /and extended days at WDW PTR :We have dates 4/13-25
Trip Report: Angel's Make a Wish DREAM Cruise & extended days at wdw: April 13-25, 2013

Previous trips: 2013 Apr. 18-25 2010 May 8-15 2009 Dec. 4-11 2008 Dec. 15-24 2008 Aug. 30-Sept 7
2007 Sept. 1-8 2006 Dec. 9-16 2006 Sept. 26-Oct.3 2005 Sept. 25-Oct.8 2004 Dec. 11-21 All at POP
Old 02-27-2013, 10:30 PM   #2932
Costumesaremylife
If someone's baking. I'm eating.
Jerry O'Connell once said "Hello" to me. I am still recovering from it
I saw Rodney Dangerfield in his underwear

The Tie Dye Mickeys are in their final rinse for Trevors Big Give. They came out super cute. I'll post a picture tomorrow once they are dry.
Costumesaremylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:39 AM   #2933
lynnanddbyz
Mouseketeer

Quote:

:
Thank you everyone for the kind words. I had my machine for more than 12 years. It is a sad loss for sure. I have known for the last 2 years the gears were gone. I have taken it easy with her and babied her along. I could not decide between a machine with all the bells and whistles or a heavy duty straight stitch only machine. I wobble back and forth. I scour craigslist and yardsales and goodwill for the last 2 years. Never satisfied with what I found.

Last night on Craigslist was a very heavy duty machine at a steal of a price. Really to good to be true. So mom and I went to check it out. I came home with a new baby. More then I could have dreamed and stronger than I ever thought I could afford. I really think God was watching over me. Things have been very stressful lately and sewing is my stress release. I will post pictures once she is assembled yes she is that big. I just need a name for her now. Thank you ladies I knew you would understand my broken heart and now new joy.
lynnanddbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:15 AM   #2934
TarzansKat
I may be TarzansKat, but I love Captain Jack!
Wow. It's still getting pretty hot around here

Quote:
Thank you everyone for the kind words. I had my machine for more than 12 years. It is a sad loss for sure. I have known for the last 2 years the gears were gone. I have taken it easy with her and babied her along. I could not decide between a machine with all the bells and whistles or a heavy duty straight stitch only machine. I wobble back and forth. I scour craigslist and yardsales and goodwill for the last 2 years. Never satisfied with what I found.

Last night on Craigslist was a very heavy duty machine at a steal of a price. Really to good to be true. So mom and I went to check it out. I came home with a new baby. More then I could have dreamed and stronger than I ever thought I could afford. I really think God was watching over me. Things have been very stressful lately and sewing is my stress release. I will post pictures once she is assembled yes she is that big. I just need a name for her now. Thank you ladies I knew you would understand my broken heart and now new joy.
I am so sorry about your old machine.

How wonderful that you were able to find one on Craiglist! I know that sewing helps me relieve stress as well, and I was sad to think of you without a machine. I never thought of naming mine. Perhaps it needs a name. Let us know what you come up with!
TarzansKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:47 AM   #2935
babynala
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I see you found what you were looking for. You can also google coloring book pages. Those usually have nice lines that are good for creating hand appliques.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costumesaremylife View Post
The Tie Dye Mickeys are in their final rinse for Trevors Big Give. They came out super cute. I'll post a picture tomorrow once they are dry.
Yeah! I love tie dye shirts but the thought of making one scares me. You might not want to post here until after the family receives them, someone might peek.

Quote:

How exciting. I was so sad when I heard your machine was dead. How awesome that you were able to find a "new" machine.

babynala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:52 AM   #2936
babynala
DIS Veteran

I am finally getting around to posting some pictures of the things I made for my nice and nephew's first trip to Disney world last month. Sorry for the huge pictures:

The dress I made for Kate to wear to our princess breakfast in Norway. This is very similar to one that post a few weeks ago. My niece loved twirling in this dress. She enjoyed showing all the princesses that they were on her dress and Aurora wished she had a dress with all of her friends on it too.
front:

back:

My nephew is a huge sports fan and is a major Minnesota Viking's fan which is kind of odd because he was born in Colorado, my brother is a Giant's fan and he currently lives in NC. For Christmas he got a jersey, PJ pants, football and a Viking helmet - like they sell in Epcot, not a football helmet. Purple is his favorite color so that might have something to do with it. I could not figure out what I was going to make him for our Epcot day and then I remembered I had this mickey head and found a purple t-shirt at Hobby Lobby. I think this was his favorite shirt of the week.

They wore these to Chef Mickey and our last day at MK. My nephew's t-shirt was actually a recycle. I made this for my son for one of our trips before I got my embroidery machine. I'm glad he was able to use it but boy I was not good at hand applique:

These were supposed to be for our second day at Epcot and dinner at Coral Reef but we ended up going to AK instead. They still worked for the Animal theme but I would have rather done a cute animal print theme.

I have a few more things to share but need to head out. Hope everyone has a great day.

babynala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #2937
angel's momma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I see you found what you were looking for. You can also google coloring book pages. Those usually have nice lines that are good for creating hand appliques.
Thank you

Old 02-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #2938
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Quote:

So glad you found a new machine! You can't go wrong with a good machine... So you said it is heavy duty... Is it vintage??? I'd love to see pics either way.

Quote:
I am finally getting around to posting some pictures of the things I made for my nice and nephew's first trip to Disney world last month. Sorry for the huge pictures:

The dress I made for Kate to wear to our princess breakfast in Norway. This is very similar to one that post a few weeks ago. My niece loved twirling in this dress. She enjoyed showing all the princesses that they were on her dress and Aurora wished she had a dress with all of her friends on it too.
front:

back:

My nephew is a huge sports fan and is a major Minnesota Viking's fan which is kind of odd because he was born in Colorado, my brother is a Giant's fan and he currently lives in NC. For Christmas he got a jersey, PJ pants, football and a Viking helmet - like they sell in Epcot, not a football helmet. Purple is his favorite color so that might have something to do with it. I could not figure out what I was going to make him for our Epcot day and then I remembered I had this mickey head and found a purple t-shirt at Hobby Lobby. I think this was his favorite shirt of the week.

They wore these to Chef Mickey and our last day at MK. My nephew's t-shirt was actually a recycle. I made this for my son for one of our trips before I got my embroidery machine. I'm glad he was able to use it but boy I was not good at hand applique:

These were supposed to be for our second day at Epcot and dinner at Coral Reef but we ended up going to AK instead. They still worked for the Animal theme but I would have rather done a cute animal print theme.

I have a few more things to share but need to head out. Hope everyone has a great day.
Liz, these are all soooo cute! That princess dress is TDF, and I just love that Nemo fabric - I've been hoarding some for a while, and I would love to make something with it.

D~
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #2939
sewmess
DIS Veteran

Quote:

She knew that your new sewing buddy was ready for you. Her time had come to pass you along to a new friend. I really believe everything happens for a reason.

Quote:

front:

back:

I think I've mentioned it before, but those cute princesses are so adorable. And I'm digging the Viking Mickey.

Now planning for 2014 - 10th Anniversary
'90:School 3 days at 3 parks + 3day Diz cruise (pre DCL) 2004: POP, 6 months after wedding to DH 2006: ASMovies DSis 50th b'day 2008: POR Herding Cats (Apr) 2008: ASMovies Redo/Freezing Bits Off (Nov) 2009 & 2010: CBR just DH & me 2011: CBR Herding Different Cats 2012: CBR Alone Again, Happily 2013: Time Out from the YotS
sewmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #2940
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costumesaremylife View Post
Cool! I can't wait to see the pictures!

Quote:

Oh I am so glad that you were able to get a "new" machine. I look forward to seeing pictures of the new "baby."

Quote:

front:

back:

Don't apologize for posting large pictures, we like large pictures! The princess dress is beautiful. The other outfits looked great too. Too bad about the Nemo set and ended up in AK. I think the set worked well for AK too though.

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: