Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
artemis908
EPCOTnaut

Questions from a WDW gal

Hi all!

So I am a WDW veteran. Went on my 14th trip this month and know all the ins and outs of WDW.

In 2014 my husband and I are considering going to Tokyo and since we live on the east coast I was thinking it would be nice to break up the trip by going to California for a few days. So I was thinking we could go to Disneyland!

I am completely lost while trying to figure things out. I am hoping you all can add some insight for me as I try to wrap my head around the possibilities.

1. The hotels. At WDW there is no question about it, I always stay on site. I know it would be cheaper to stay off, but I love the magic of staying on property. It feels safe, the distance to the parks is short and sometimes walkable, and I can get the dining plan. As I look at the 3 hotels on Disneyland property, I don't see much of a theming like you see in WDW hotels. I read the thread about someone asking about on site vs off site and it sounds like a lot of the same arguments I hear about on site vs off site for WDW. So, how close exactly are the hotels to the parks? And would it be worth getting the dining plan? Are there things to do inside the hotels? And how close are all of the hotels to each other? Is there free transportation from the airport to the hotels?

2. I am thinking of January or February 2014 for traveling there, I saw that was value season. When we went to WDW earlier this month, we saw a lot of tourist groups from South America. Does Disneyland have a similar issue?

3. How many days does it take to get through the parks? I can usually get through each park in a day at WDW. I am thinking we might do 4 days total.
artemis908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:35 PM   #2
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis908 View Post
1. The hotels. At WDW there is no question about it, I always stay on site. I know it would be cheaper to stay off, but I love the magic of staying on property. It feels safe, the distance to the parks is short and sometimes walkable, and I can get the dining plan. As I look at the 3 hotels on Disneyland property, I don't see much of a theming like you see in WDW hotels. I read the thread about someone asking about on site vs off site and it sounds like a lot of the same arguments I hear about on site vs off site for WDW. So, how close exactly are the hotels to the parks? And would it be worth getting the dining plan? Are there things to do inside the hotels? And how close are all of the hotels to each other? Is there free transportation from the airport to the hotels?
How close exactly? See this thread:

How Far Is It?" (shows actual distances in feet from hotels to DLR entrance plaza) www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=mm060329as

Dining plan not worth it. See "What WDW Vets Need to Know About Dining at DLR" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2914467

Things to do inside the hotels? Yes, but like what? Dining, swimming, spa, activities for kids, etc.

Free transportation? No. There are two many airports at Disney in California and it does not pull the same weight as it does in more modest Orlando. See "Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information" by 3TinksAndAnEeyore www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2318297

Quote:

2. I am thinking of January or February 2014 for traveling there, I saw that was value season. When we went to WDW earlier this month, we saw a lot of tourist groups from South America. Does Disneyland have a similar issue?
No, there are no BTGs at DLR. There are cheerleader groups. January and February have different issues at DLR than WDW. It would be worth understanding them. See

"What You Should Know About Off-Season at DLR" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=18462889

Quote:
3. How many days does it take to get through the parks? I can usually get through each park in a day at WDW. I am thinking we might do 4 days total.
Four days at DLR would be just about right. You might only need three if you go Jan/Feb especially on weekdays.

DLR 11/2014, JC Blog & WOCWD Blog (Tropicana), 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2013, 09:43 PM   #3
Scribble Kitty
Mouseketeer

First off, I'm totally jealous of your Tokyo trip. How amazing!

Hotels - It's kind of hard to get across to a WDW'er that off-site hotels can actually be closer to the gates then some of the on-site hotels. Literally a few minutes walk if you stay on Harbor Blvd. Are the Disney hotels worth it? To me, yes. I take full advantage of near everything the Disney hotels offer and it really feels great to walk down DTD to the hotel. Off site can be great too and is a great way to save money during the trip.

Distance wise Disney hotels are all less then a 10 minute walk. Off-site hotels vary from less distance to more distance. There is literally one right at the cross walk about 2-3 minutes walking time.

Dining Plan - I hear this is not worth it. Not the same setup as WDW at all. You trade in your cash for vouchers with $ amounts on them and if your meal is less then the voucher is worth you don't get change back.

Transport - I've never looked into it myself, but I don't believe there is free transport. Disney offers a service for a fee, but most people seem to book their own shuttles.

Off Season - January and February is considered off season. Many rides are down for referb and hours are generally shorter unless you go over a holiday. Not sure when the tour groups come, but we usually get Aussies and Kiwis more then any other tour group that I've noticed.

Days - 4 days sounds about right. There are about as many attractions in DLR as there is in WDW, just not as much space. If you take a leisurely time and enjoy the scenery I'd say 4 days should be just right.
Scribble Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
mrswh
DIS Veteran

My opinion is opposite what seems to be the majority. I would never stay onsite at WDW and always will at DLR. At WDW, I don't feel that you are close enough to make the extra cost worth it. Even if you stay at the very closest hotels, you still have to take at least one type of transportation (boat, tram, monorail, bus, etc.) almost anywhere you want to go. Makes no sense to me.

At DLR, on the other hand, from any of the three hotels you can walk with your own two feet to both parks and DTD! How can you beat that? Now, people will say yes, but why waste the money when you can do that from an offsite hotel? Two reasons. (1) The offsite hotels that are "just as close" (which is not the case for the GCH in any event) are not hotels. They are motels. And (2) The walk up/down/across Harbor is . . . yucky. It's six lanes of heavy traffic, loud, commercial, and unattractive. So not Disney. So not vacation.

Someone came up with a really simple way of putting it. You can pick two of these three things when choosing a hotel near DLR: cheap, nice and close. So it just depends on what you are willing to sacrifice! (Also, as to your safe comment, I feel much safer onsite than in surrounding Anaheim.)

I have only stayed at the GCH, and from our room (we always stay pretty close to the main elevator bank), it's literally 90 seconds from room to DCA. The DLH is a bit farther (more like 10 minute walk), but it is a nice walk through Downtown Disney, where there is always music and lots of great people watching. I can't speak for the PPH, but it's not too far from the GCH so it certainly isn't a long walk to the parks, especially when compared to anything at WDW.

I think four days would be the perfect amount of time if you want to relax, but not too much.

And the dining plan doesn't save you any money - totally different than at WDW.

Happy planning!
mrswh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:06 PM   #5
planningjollyholiday
DIS Veteran

Are you going to disneyland in tokyo? It is amazing! Disney Sea is awesome and journey to the center of earth is so much fun.
planningjollyholiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:17 PM   #6
artemis908
EPCOTnaut

Thanks everyone! I don't think I can convince my husband to go to Tokyo Disney lol. Even when I mentioned Disneyland he rolled his eyes

But your insights were very helpful, let me know if you have any tips. :D I am just going to think this all through.
artemis908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:37 PM   #7
mmmears
DIS Veteran

I think it's a great idea to break up your trip. We did that in the opposite direction, stopping in NYC on the way to Europe. It's still about 15 hours to Tokyo from California, but so nice to have that stop.

DL is totally do-able in 4 days. Even 3 days as a pp suggested.

We stay on-site, just like we do in WDW. If price is a major issue, you can stay almost as close for much less $$$ if you stay at a non-Disney property. But from our room at the GCH and the pool area... to the pleasant, short walk to the parks, we don't really see the city. It makes us feel like we are in a "Disney Bubble."

As for theming, the GCH is kind of a craftsman version of the WL. DLH has a "Disney" theme and nice new decor. And PPH is a hotel, but with a beachy theme. DTD is right there, too, so once you check in you don't need a bus or a car to get anywhere on property.

No need for the dining plan. It's easy to make dining reservations at DL, unlike WDW, even a week or so before you go. And there are still character buffets, theme dining (like Blue Bayou), and lots of quick service choices.

I hope you get a chance to check out DL on your way to Japan!

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:04 PM   #8
Rhonna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks everyone! I don't think I can convince my husband to go to Tokyo Disney lol. Even when I mentioned Disneyland he rolled his eyes
Oh man, I realize DL/DCA in CA is already overwhelming for you (it shouldn't be) so I'm sorry but I have to say this.

I've read up a lot on Tokyo Disney. It was funded by Japanese businessmen and so a LOT more money went into it than disney would have put in on their own. Everything was done top notch! (Think cut out backgrounds on some of WDW and DL rides - no cheap cost cutting like that at Tokyo Disney.)

If you could get your husband to see DL in CA and Tokyo, I'd go to CA first because the level of quality at Tokyo (unfortunately for us) puts the parks in the US to shame. Plus, there are attractions there we don't have in the states.

On these boards there is a forum for Tokyo disney - if you dare. How many people get this opportunity?

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=178
Rhonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:40 PM   #9
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My DH said that about DLP... but then one afternoon in Paris we had a little extra time and guess where we ended up?

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:51 PM   #10
mikedoyleblogger
DIS Veteran

You're in Philly (I'm from NYC originally) so this may help you grasp how small DLR really is. The entire resort, north to south and east to west, is approximately the size of Old City. Since most off-site hotels are literally across the street from the resort, add about another city block or two to those borders and that's the farthest you'll ever have to walk.

Or if WDW terms would be easier to work with, the walk to the front gate of Disneyland from the nearest hotels on Harbor Blvd. (the eastern border of DLR) is about the same length as the walk from the main gate of Magic Kingdom to the Country Bear Jamboree. Continue on to Splash Mountain, and now you've approximated the walk from the farthest hotels on Harbor (e.g. the Howard Johnson) or from the Paradise Pier Hotel or the farthest Disneyland Hotel tower.

I know. But it really is that small.
WDW 1973 Poly | WDW Jul 1977 offsite | DLR Jul 1988 offsite | DLP Apr 2000 offsite | DLR Apr 2002 PPH | DLR Sep 2002 HoJo | DLR Dec 2002 HoJo (HolidayTime) | DLR Apr 2003 HoJo | DLR Dec 2005 HoJo | DLR Mar 2013 HoJo | WDW May 2013 Pop | DLR Oct 2013 HoJo (HalloweenTime) | DLR Aug 2014 GCH | DLR Sep 2014 DLH (HalloweenTime) | DLR Dec 2014 TBD (HolidayTime) | Moving to L.A. 2015!
mikedoyleblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:14 AM   #11
tzeitel
Toadi Acceleratio Semper Absurda

Hi! I am also a WDW veteran (actually an ex-CM ). We did DLR Oct '11 and I was so confused! I could not envision the whole hotels-right-across-the-street-from-DLR thing. I did find this very cool map -

http://www.accommodationsneardisney....nd/default.asp

If I had no worries about money I would stay at the Grand California - think Wilderness Lodge on steroids It is amazing!
But since we had a (teeny tiny) budget we stayed at the HoJo. It was a super easy walk (seriously a few minutes , kinda like walking from the Contemporary to MK) with lots of places to eat between the hotel and DLR. The rooms were very nice (as were the employees) and the pool was nice - but we did not use it since it was so cold (this was in Oct so I bet it will be cold in Jan/Feb as well ).

We felt very safe walking to/from our hotel even late at night - we left the Halloween party at around midnight and there were tons of families around.

We did 4 days - one was the Halloween party so it was more like a half day - but had hoppers. So easy to go from one park to the other! There is a plaza between the park entrances (as well as DtD). We could have done 3 days with hoppers, one full day at each park and then one day to hop.

The meal plan there is basically just pre-paying for the meals and there is no savings at all.
tzeitel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:19 AM   #12
kevdo
Kevin Crossman

Quote:
I am thinking we might do 4 days total.
That sounds about right.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: