Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What time of year would you pick and why
week before Memorial Day 5 14.71%
Week after July 4 4 11.76%
Week after labor day 10 29.41%
Week after Thanksgiving 15 44.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
Brumeiser
Total Disney Nut

what time of year would you pick and why

A. Week after July 4
B. Week after Labor Day
C. Week after Thanksgiving
D. Week before Memorial day weekend
Brumeiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
disney4cam
Mouseketeer

I'm first! I picked the week after Thanksgiving because the Christmas decorations are up and there are almost no crowds. Many rides are walk on, and even the long lines aren't that bad. Usually the weather is mild, but you can get some rain, which isn't a big deal. That is the week we go every year, and I can't imagine going any other time. Oh, the hours are shorter, but since the lines are short, you can easily get everything in.
disney4cam is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
sherilaine
DIS Veteran

Week after Labour day - although we can't as our kids are then in school but the weather would be nice and it would be dead there - which would be wonderful

we went last year first week of March and it was nice and quiet

we are going this year first week of May and hoping it won't be too bad then either and yet a bit warmer with longer days

I am not a crowd person, but some people love them
March 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3247388

sherilaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
mrswh
DIS Veteran

I voted for week after Labor Day. Great weather, low crowds - just make sure you get a weekend in there so you don't miss shows and fireworks!
mrswh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
carisa81
Mouseketeer

I voted for week before Memorial Day because the weather is great but it's before the big summer crowd. My second vote is for the week after Labor Day because school is in and the weather is still nice. Those are the two best times to go, in my opinion.

DD-4 DS-4

Disneyland as a Child~countless times.

Disneyland as an Adult~2000-PPH, 2007-Hyatt Regency Orange County, 2008-GC Premium DTD View, 2009-GC DTD View, 2010-GC Pool View, 2011-GC Premium DTD View, 2012-DLH Pool View, 2013-GC Premium DTD View.

Hoping to go this June, 2014!
carisa81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #6
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

I would pick either the week after Thanksgiving (not arriving until after Thanksgiving weekend) or the week after Labor Day (also waiting until after the holiday weekend). I would choose Thanksgiving if you have never done Christmas at Disney because it is just awesome. I would pick September if you love hot weather. Both times have low crowds, so that is always preferred.

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #7
icephoenix25
Earning My Ears

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

If seeing the holiday decorations are a priority, then the week after Thanksgiving. Otherwise I'd say the week before Memorial weekend. It is typically reasonable weather. We went in August last year when it was 100 degrees and were absolutely miserable. (not to mention my wife was 6 months pregnant at the time)
icephoenix25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
DLR29
We're cheap college kids
It's all in how you tour
We wouldn't want to be left on a cliffhanger

Depends...is this your first time to Disneyland? Are nighttime shows a priority for you? Are Christmas decorations of interest? How many days will you be going? Will you be going just on weekdays or also a weekend?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the week after July 4th. Traditionally, the other 3 weeks are notorious for having many rides under refurb (especially that September week--guarantee that Space Mountain and Haunted Mansion at the minimum will be closed). The May week might have only a couple rides down, but nothing should be closed during the summer, unless it's an extended refurb. This year that would be Big Thunder, but that will be closed for all options except the December week.

If you aren't going on weekend days, then definitely go during July. During any of the other 3 weeks there will not be fireworks or Fantasmic during the week. They are only shown on weekends (Friday-Sunday) during slower seasons. In July they certainly will be shown every night.

Dealing with crowds is really not a huge deal, especially if you go for 4+ days and you can take your time. Get there at park opening, take advantage of FP as much as possible, and you still won't have to deal with long lines.

I guess my second choice would be the May week. Both have great weather.
Bouncy!
DLR29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #9
Greysword

DIS Dad #618
Fantasmic is not rainbows and unicorns; it is a full contact sport

I picked Memorial day, as that is the time of year we generally visit DLR. We roll out by Sunday, so we miss the Memorial Day crowds.

We like it due to:

- the rides are all generally done refurbs, being so close to the summer.

- all but the premium AP is blacked out that sat & Sun, so crowds are fairly low, with Magic Mornings being really light until about 10am-ish, when the people start arriving in earnest.

- DD is not in school and we are generally off from work during this time. No major projects usually at work, so it is easy to get the time off.

Although we will be shifting to FL in the spring/summer vs DLR, so we can try our California during the holidays.
- Chris, DIS Dad #618.

Greysword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #10
danaesacto
DIS Veteran

For me: not July I hate the heat and not after Labor day- HM would be closed and I couldn't miss that! May or after Thanksgiving both seem like ideal times- one has Xmas but possible cold and rain, the other pleasant weather but normal decor...
Old 02-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #11
LisainCalifornia
DIS Veteran

I hate the heat too--but only have had a problem with it in August and September. July is fine. It is warm, but doable.

We typically go:

First week of December (low crowds, high on holiday cheer!)

Spring Break (can be horrendous for crowds!)

Summer (we go every June (usually around the 10th) and in July--around the end) and have a fine time. Good summer fun. Not so much in August!

Also have gone in October--(okay, but warmer than you think...imagine blazing sun combined with pumpkins)

Feb. (very low crowds but also short park hours).
LisainCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #12
faith313
Mouseketeer

I picked the week after Thanksgiving simply because you can't beat the holidays in the parks. It is breathtaking! July and September are HOT, and can be miserable if you're not used to the heat. My second choice would be the week after memorial day. It's not too hot yet, but the weather will likely be gorgeous. But like I said, you can't beat holidays at Disney! Good luck with your decision!
Old 02-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #13
Mommy2PrincessAbby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumeiser
A. Week after July 4
B. Week after Labor Day
C. Week after Thanksgiving
D. Week before Memorial day weekend
A. No way, too hot and crowded
B. should be low crowds, but some rides will go down for overlays around then
C. Most stuff open, lower crowds, great holiday decor
D. Most stuff open (gearing up for Memorial Day and summer), warm weather, lower crowds

I've done mid-October, 1st week of December, and 2nd week in may... Absolutely love May for the lower crowds and most everything being open. Halloween is my second fave time, but it is getting so crowded. You'll have fun whenever you go though!

Walt's Park:Two trips as a kid, stayed off-site. Oct '07, 4 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. May '08, 5 days "girls only trip" @ GCH dm, dd & I. May '09, 6 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. October '10, 5 day trip, dd and I @ PPH. And 6 days at PPH--December 5-10, 2012 for all 3 of us!

OMG--dare I say it? We went to the World!! Split Stay! CSR May 6-10 and AKL Savannah View May 10-13, 2014 (with a dash of the Darkside thrown in for good measure the 13th & 14th.)
Mommy2PrincessAbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:45 PM   #14
ValpoCory
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney4cam View Post
I'm first! I picked the week after Thanksgiving because the Christmas decorations are up and there are almost no crowds. Many rides are walk on, and even the long lines aren't that bad. Usually the weather is mild, but you can get some rain, which isn't a big deal. That is the week we go every year, and I can't imagine going any other time. Oh, the hours are shorter, but since the lines are short, you can easily get everything in.
Exactly.
ValpoCory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:51 PM   #15
Brumeiser
Total Disney Nut

Smile Some update why on this poll

Yes this our 1st and last trip there. My wife got offered the job this week so we can go anytime next year after March 26 her anniversary date. Our plan is 2 days in San Francisco, 4 days in Disneyland,, 3 days in San Diego. With the holiday I am hoping to get a few xtra days out there. Thanks for the feedback it will help.

Meeting the mouse for the first time.
Brumeiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: