Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 09:31 PM   #1
Mr X
Earning My Ears

Unhappy Wreck-It Ralph lose an Oscar.

I Have some Bad news!

Brave has won an Oscar, instead of Wreck-It Ralph!

Oh Well, Cars also lose an Oscar, but Disney has plans for a sequel and a Theme Park area, Cars Land.

Wreck-It Ralph has won an Annie Awards and beat Beauty and the Beast with over more of $430 million.

Will Disney have the same plans as Wreck-It Ralph?
Mr X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:52 AM   #2
N365PA
First rule of the bayou: never take directions from a gator.

I have mixed emotions on this. I thought the animation for Brave was brilliant with the story line a little lacking. Wreck-it Ralph had run of the mill animation (in my opinion) and a surprisingly good story line. Im also a mid-twenties computer gamer who remembers all those games they made references towards.

Glad to see Disney won an oscar (yay for my shares!) but sad to see it was for Brave instead of Wreck-it Ralph.

Clint
June 29-July 10: Copenhagen-Dover Disney Magic

N365PA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-25-2013, 07:23 AM   #3
Pumbaa7287
I am the great Stone Dragon!
You may ask why someone would want to inflict that kind of pain on themselves

I absolutely think Brave deserved the Oscar over wreck-it. Brave had a much broader appeal to kids and adults then (the admittedly very good) Ralph. I'm also a big gamer and loved all the references to some of my fave 80's titles, but consider who is voting for the award, a bunch of old folks who probably don't game at all. Aren't they more likely to pick a sprawling epic film (with a not totally satisfying story) about ancient scotland over a film about go karts and candy?

Kungaloosh!

Oh the places you'll go:
Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club, Old Key West, Wilderness Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, Port Orleans Resort, Saratoga Springs, All-Star Movies, Pop Century

And miles to go before I sleep:
Boardwalk Inn, Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Yacht Club, All-Star Music, All-Star Sports, Art of Animation

10 down, 8 to go!
Pumbaa7287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
rainynight
Mouseketeer

I don't consider either to be Oscar worthy films. Both are good movies, but not great, specially for Disney. I think Disney needs to step up its game a bit. I think Rise of the Guardians blew any recent Disney film out of the water. Believe me as a die hard Disney lover it pains me to say that. Also Franknweenie had nothing on Hotel Transylvania. Disney is slacking in the movie making department. The only reason I watched wreck it Ralph, Brave, or Franknweenie was because they are Disney, if it weren't for that my family wouldn't have spent the money. Although we did wait and see them at the dollar theater months after they were released and have no intentions of buying any of them whereas we saw Rise of the Guardians opening weekend and pre ordered the DVD. Cars 2 was a joke as well.
rainynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #5
Disco
Hail Eris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr X View Post
Wreck-It Ralph has won an Annie Awards and beat Beauty and the Beast with over more of $430 million.
Keep in mind a little thing called inflation and, on top of that, international markets are much larger now a days. Adjusted dollars wise Wreck-It does not beat B&tB (probably around 600m in today's dollars).
To fairly compare it to classics, it probably brought in a little more than The Little Mermaid.
Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #6
dawnbu40
DIS Veteran

Brave was far superior than Ralph. It deserved the win!
Old 02-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #7
Mr X
Earning My Ears

Red face

Listen, Pixar always wins Oscar (except for Cars, Cars 2 and Monsters, Inc.) and share with Disney, since the acquisition in 2006.
Mr X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:59 AM   #8
StarWarsJez
Mouseketeer

IMO both were at best "average" movies - both a long way the the best people expect from Disney/Pixar. This is reflected in less-than-stellar box office returns.

I always thought it was odd that Disney decided to build Cars Land (not helped by a poor sequel) when IMO Toy Story was always a significantly stronger franchise.
StarWarsJez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #9
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Brave is a great movie. The animation is exquisite and Merida is one of my favourite characters now. However I think Wreck it Ralph had the more developed characters and fleshed out story line.

Love them both so glad at least one won

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #10
celestialred
Keep the Dr. Pepper flowing or the fluffy bunny bites it!

I haven't seen Wreck-It Ralph yet but have seen Brave. Given all the drama with Brenda Chapman being replaced on that project for "creative differences" I am glad she got an award at all. I do not recall even seeing her name in the credits at the end in the theater. Unfortunately I could tell exactly where her story ended and the new male director's began. Sigh...

CSR May 1998-Honeymoon
RPR @ Universal Jan 2007-Work Conference
Renaissance @ SeaWorld Jan 2013-Work Conference Micro-Trip Report Here!
Sep 2013-Back to CSR and First Trip For The Kids - Come check out my PTR here!
celestialred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #11
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

I don't see Disney being terribly broken up by this "loss".
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #12
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

I haven't seen Wreck-it Ralph yet, but did see Brave in the theaters and own the movie now. I have to agree with previous poster that mentions Rise of the Guardians being the best animated film this year. I saw it in 3D and was blown away. Came out of the theater wanting to see it again (waiting for DVD though).
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:32 PM   #13
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Unhappy ~Awww...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr X View Post
I Have some Bad news!

Brave has won an Oscar, instead of Wreck-It Ralph!

Oh Well, Cars also lose an Oscar, but Disney has plans for a sequel and a Theme Park area, Cars Land.

Will Disney have the same plans as Wreck-It Ralph?
~I knew it -- but was hoping for an upset, anyway. Brave was a gorgeous film, there is no denying it -- but the script was terrible, imo. At our cinema, Brave was given the "main" E3 theater with luxury seating. Wreck-It-Ralph did not receive the same treatment -- instead, priority was given to "Flight" & "Wreck it Ralph" was shown in the smaller less spectacular DBox theater. This probably wasn't the norm, but that's how it was at Emagine.

~At least, "Paperman" (the Wreck It Ralph short) won -- Yay!!! I was surprised how "La Luna" the Brave short was not even nominated, it was better than the movie, imo.

~Anyway, I am really looking forward to Wreck It Ralph II & no more Brave -- although, I will always *love* Merida's fabulous hair!

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:19 AM   #14
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Is there going to be a sequel for sure? I knew it was a rumor. We loved the movie so much! Saw it 5 times in the cinemas and can't wait for the DVD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
~I knew it -- but was hoping for an upset, anyway. Brave was a gorgeous film, there is no denying it -- but the script was terrible, imo. At our cinema, Brave was given the "main" E3 theater with luxury seating. Wreck-It-Ralph did not receive the same treatment -- instead, priority was given to "Flight" & "Wreck it Ralph" was shown in the smaller less spectacular DBox theater. This probably wasn't the norm, but that's how it was at Emagine.

~At least, "Paperman" (the Wreck It Ralph short) won -- Yay!!! I was surprised how "La Luna" the Brave short was not even nominated, it was better than the movie, imo.

~Anyway, I am really looking forward to Wreck It Ralph II & no more Brave -- although, I will always *love* Merida's fabulous hair!

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #15
Birdman1511
Don't listen to that guy. He's trying to lead you down the path of righteousness. I'm gonna lead you down the path that *rocks*.

Personally, I liked Wreck-it Ralph better than Brave. But that's just one person's opinion. However, I do think that Brave was more deserving of an Oscar. Like everybody else said, the animation was superb. The Story liine lacked a little bit, especially compared to past Pixar films, but it did appeal to a broad range of audiences, especially children.

1990-Offiste1992-Dixie Landings1994-Polynesian1996-Grand Floridian1998-Grand Floridian2001-All Star Movies2005-Polynesian 2007-Officially moved in with the mouse!! 2009-CBR
May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face. And may the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars
Birdman1511 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wreck it ralph

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: