Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 11:28 PM   #1096
AudreyKThompson
Disney Diva

Wow! just finished the entire thread, and picked up some great new ideas-
A couple I didn't see-
we bring an Apple slicer/corer for quick snacks/breakfast etc.
We take canned cokes to the parks, but used to hate it if the kids don't finish it (goes flat/spills/etc) so I got these great can lids that snap open and closed so you can drink out of the can, they pump up to keep drinks fizzy, and they are color coded so we know who's drink is whose.
Happy Travels!
AudreyKThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:47 AM   #1097
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixkristy6 View Post
That's what I figured. I need to get some lotion to rub on my feet after a long day. I think I would prefer soaking them though. I am sure there is something less expensive around. I'll check B&BW.
The Basin store and both DTD and GF sell the bombs for much less. No need to pack them with you

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2013, 11:16 PM   #1098
pellsphish
Earning My Ears

Gold Bond powder. Always slap some on in the grundle area before heading into the parks. Helps stop the chaffing and keeps the entire area cool for an hour or so.
pellsphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:38 AM   #1099
bagsmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Flynn Rider View Post
So, I have a couple weird things that I bring... I'm a packing and gear nerd:

I love my Sitka over-the-shoulder sling bag from Maxpedition. It is designed so that when you go to sit down, or access the bag for that matter, that it slides to your front and sits across your abdomen-perfect for riding rides and great for getting at stuff without taking the bag off! It is not terrible large, but you can pack enough in there if you don't go too crazy. Besides, if you pack too much, it will be too heavy for one shoulder anyway. (Ladies, if you want to get your DH to carry stuff, this might be a great bribe-looks cool, works great, very manly... :D )

I keep a "dry sack" in my bag because Florida rains are notorious for popping up out of nowhere! My "dry sack" is big enough to hold my Sitka inside it, so when rain happens, I step inside somewhere dry, pull my dry sack out, and drop my whole backpack in there, and voila!, we keep going and ride those rides with short lines while everyone is hiding from a little rain!

I have a MSR Paktowel Original in my bag. These things are amazing. They hold almost 10x their weight in water. Wring it out, and it's almost completely dry again. Great for wiping down wet seats, drying off somewhat from rides or spray... Lots of uses...

I never leave my Unofficial Guide behind (or my iphone with my Lines app and My Disney Experience on it!)

I have a portable (battery-operated) charger so that we can recharge our phones while we eat lunch/dinner. It is great. It's about half the size of my UG, and will fully recharge my phone battery from 30% to full in about an hour.

I bring a Camelbak bladder that fits inside my Sitka (that also has a bladder compartment made for it). The low profile Omega fits perfectly (and holds 3L). Fill it up with ice and water/lemonade/crystal light, and it keeps your back cool and gets lighter the more that you drink!

I bring a surgical tube clothesline that I got from Amazon (It's braided with three tubes, so no need for clothespins). It has loops on either end. You can attach carabiners to them or loop them around shower heads. It's only 7 ft long, but great for what it does, and it stretches a bit longer.

I put luggage tags on all my bags, especially the one I bring into the park. Disney customer service is awesome, and they will return something if they can figure out who it belongs to!

I think that's all that may not have been said already (and sorry for anything that's already been posted!). Thanks for all the tips! I'm a huge fan already!
Love your post! I too am a HUGE fan of the folks at the UnOfficial Guide! LOVE their books and website. I'm going to look for the bag you mentioned right now!
bagsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:56 AM   #1100
bagsmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by candielips View Post
I have to admit, this is THE strangest thing I have ever heard of someone bringing.

Not criticizing
Strange and BRILLIANT!

We are staying DVC this summer and I was just thinking of the vast quantities of STUFF we will need to carry. Food, both non-perishable and stuff in coolers, lots of clothes (don't want to do laundry at all while we're on vacation) -- just tons of stuff.

We have a handtruck and it may be coming with us!
Old 02-27-2013, 08:02 AM   #1101
bagsmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkirkbri View Post
Just got an e-mail today from CVS that Exedrin will be back in stores on 10/19/12. I loved the Exedrin Migraine. Seemed to get rid of both migraines and tension headaches.

The excedrin is a great alternative to one's coffee fix! And you don't have to stop at every restroom in the theme parks.

Last edited by bagsmom; 02-27-2013 at 01:29 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old 02-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #1102
bagsmom
Mouseketeer

Oh geez! I just realized I already put this tip in here WAY back in the summer. Sorry for reposting it.!

Last edited by bagsmom; 02-27-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #1103
Lricksecker
Earning My Ears

Smile Non-Toxic alternative to Lysol

Luv this thread!

I, too am a bit of a germophob, but with a child on the Autistic Spectrum I quickly learned that using toxic cleaners made her worse, and as we all know it's generally bad for those of us that are "healthy" as well.

So instead I use an alternative that kills just as many germs as Lysol or Clorox, but one that is not toxic to my family or pets. They come as pop-up pre-moistened towels or in a spray bottle, so I can easily pack and wipe down a hotel room or let my kiddos clean away at will at home, without worrying about what is getting on their skin or they are inhaling.

This is especially important for port-a-cribs or other surfaces that babies may mouth while you're on vacation.

I use Melaleuca Tough & Tender Wipes (also comes as a spray). You can order it ahead of time here by contacting a Melaleua Rep....Do a search on "Tina Blease, Melaleuca" and you'll be connected to one of the best reps on the planet.

She also has lots of other products that I found did not trigger my Autistic child, so ask her about it!

If you prefer the "made at home" approach, vinegar has been shown to kill everything lysol and clorox does as well, and will also stop ants from invading your room (as I did in Hawaii) by putting full strength vinegar in a spray bottle and spraying the thresholds where they wanted to cross. With vinegar you know you aren't hurting your family or the environment for sure! Just keep away from carpets and curtains until you test a hidden spot for color fastness.

Last trip to Disneyland was in February, 2013 and what a we had!
Lricksecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #1104
Dragontears
Mouseketeer

Talking Oh Wow!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney212 View Post
I have allergies to most detergents. I use a cotton, lint free hanky (very cheap at discount stores) and dip them in liquid detergent and let them dry. I throw one in with the wash and it then goes straight into the dryer. It takes up almost no room in the suitcase (I do put them I a zip lock baggie). Hope this helps those with sensitive skin!
I know most folks think this is a minor thing, but when you have skin allergies you are really limited.

Thanks so much for the tip. I'm going to try it at home next laundry day for a test run.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO. what a ride!'

Dragontears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:29 PM   #1105
Dragontears
Mouseketeer

Wink Pressed Penneys

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGal View Post
Some say pre-1981 pennies are best for pressing, but we also soak them in vinegar overnight and really shine them up!
The reason you should try to find pre 1982 pennies is due to the metal content. In 1982 the mint started using a zink core covered with copper for pennies (zink is cheaper). When pressed, the zink bleeds through and can cause streaks.

We start checking our change about 3 months before the trip. That way we can pick out the cleanest to use. When the teller at my bank realized what we were doing, she sold us rolls of old pennies to go through and would buy them back when we were through picking them over. (We replaced any pennies we could use with newer ones.) Try asking at your bank.

Happy Pressing
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO. what a ride!'

Old 02-27-2013, 10:44 PM   #1106
Dragontears
Mouseketeer

Washing Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
If you forget your dish soap in a sponge, another alternative is to just use the shampoo & a washcloth to wash out the cups etc.
Polmolive sells a sheet that lathers up in water for washing dishes. It comes in a small tub about the same size as Olay face cleaning cloths. I usually just put a few in a zip lock bag. They are dry so they don't "leak" but I don't want the whole suitcase smelling like Polmolive.

Though, after reading all these great ideas, I just may pop one into the suitcase with the dirty clothes on the trip home.

Great Thread!!

Old 02-28-2013, 07:40 AM   #1107
cmbpanda
Mouseketeer

Love this thread. I haven't got all the way through yet. I thought the packing cubes sound like a fab idea, but my DH just scoffed & said he isn't spending £££ (we r from UK) on bags to go in the bags! He just said I should wrap all the kids stuff in plastic bags if I want to keep it separate 😢. Oh well, more money to spend while we're there - although he has told me and DS that we can't buy loads of souvenirs that gather dust at home, but we'll ignore that. Lol!
cmbpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #1108
refinnej
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragontears View Post
The reason you should try to find pre 1982 pennies is due to the metal content. In 1982 the mint started using a zink core covered with copper for pennies (zink is cheaper). When pressed, the zink bleeds through and can cause streaks.

We start checking our change about 3 months before the trip. That way we can pick out the cleanest to use. When the teller at my bank realized what we were doing, she sold us rolls of old pennies to go through and would buy them back when we were through picking them over. (We replaced any pennies we could use with newer ones.) Try asking at your bank.

Happy Pressing
You can clean pennies as well by soaking them in ketchup! Doing this over the weekend with the kiddos so they can help get them ready. I need to be sure they don't lick their fingers! They are ketchup-fiends!

http://lesson-plans.theteacherscorne...ts/ketchup.php

Family Trips:
WDW Boardwalk July 2003 - DLR May 2010 - DLR May 2012 - WDW Swan March 2013 - WDW Swan November 2013
refinnej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #1109
missbossypants
Earning My Ears

subscribing, can't possibly read it all in one sitting!
missbossypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:49 PM   #1110
xera12
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by refinnej

You can clean pennies as well by soaking them in ketchup! Doing this over the weekend with the kiddos so they can help get them ready. I need to be sure they don't lick their fingers! They are ketchup-fiends!

http://lesson-plans.theteacherscorne...ts/ketchup.php
I just tried this, and it worked ok, however... The pennies kind of dull a bit and turn a weird sorta orangey color... And they smell bad... I mean, for kids its probably ok, but... Idk lol

Next trip with Me and DBFF Diane (25)!!

Check out my First trip to WDW TR!!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3160264

xera12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: