Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
JessLCH
DIS Veteran

Question Paradise Pier VS Disneyland Hotel: walking distance to parks?

I am really confused about this. From looking at maps, it looks like PP is much closer to the parks than Disneyland Resort via cutting through the Grand Californian Hotel. Yet I have read many posts staing that PP is a much further walk to parks than DLH. Help?! I am confused. Which hotel is a shorter walk to the parks? Last time we stayed at Grand Californian and was hoping to but this time I am leaning towards one of the less expensive hotels as we want 2 connecting rooms or a suite and GC is just too $$$$$. Thanks!

Wilderness Lodge Villas (2/07, 2/09, 12/13, 9/14)
Grand Californian Villas (8/10)
Saratoga Springs Resort (11/11)
Disney Dream (2/12)
Royal Pacific Resort Universal ( 2/12, 9/14)
Wyndham Bonnet Creek Presidential (11/12)
Disneyland Hotel (8/13)
Bay Lake Tower (10/13, 11/14)
Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani (1/14)
Aulani (8/14)
Grand Floridian Villas (1/15)
JessLCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
awdsmama
DIS Veteran

This link gives a good description:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/7280/How_Far_Is_It
awdsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
Mommy2PrincessAbby
DIS Veteran

Floating around somewhere is a map my run with the distances. It is like 1/10th of a mile shorter from PP thru the Grand... We've stayed at all 3 hotels, and I really really get tired of the walk from DLH thru DTD, and the walk from PP seems so much shorter to me.

Walt's Park:Two trips as a kid, stayed off-site. Oct '07, 4 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. May '08, 5 days "girls only trip" @ GCH dm, dd & I. May '09, 6 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. October '10, 5 day trip, dd and I @ PPH. And 6 days at PPH--December 5-10, 2012 for all 3 of us!

OMG--dare I say it? We went to the World!! Split Stay! CSR May 6-10 and AKL Savannah View May 10-13, 2014 (with a dash of the Darkside thrown in for good measure the 13th & 14th.)
Mommy2PrincessAbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
melvin1970
Mouseketeer

We just got back from there. We stayed at PPH and the walk wasn't bad. I can't tell you if it is shorter than DLH. It really wasn't bad. Our trip was awesome and the hotel was awesome. The 11th floor has great views.
melvin1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Both walks are fine. DLH via DTD is annoying *to me* because it's a mall and I don't like malls. I also like straight lines, and DTD has no straight lines, LOL.

But when we were at DLH in october and were in Frontier tower, we actually went out the back of the building, walking towards PPH and then did the DLH cut-through. I used mapmyrun and it's just about the same distance as if we had walked to and through DTD. And it was much more pleasant *for me*.

DLH of course has the added benefit of passing by the monorail, so if it's open and running when you're walking by, and if you're on your way to Tomorrowland or beyond, it can be convenient (though not really during Magic Morning). And if you're in Tomorrowland or nearby when you want to leave the park to go back to the hotel (or Rainforest Cafe or ESPN or the movie theater or Earl of Sandwich), if the monorail is up and running, that is convenient as well. Assuming (both times) that the line isn't heinous.

I realized I made a mistake in memory and typing. The distance walking from DLH's Frontier Tower, whether out the back and via the Grand, or out to DTD and on, is about the same. NOT the distance from Frontier Tower and the distance from PPH

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!

Last edited by bumbershoot; 02-27-2013 at 07:20 PM.
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:26 PM   #6
mdsd8700
It's kind of fun to do the impossible

[QUOTE=bumbershoot;47645535]Both walks are fine. QUOTE]

I completely agree. Although a shorter distance is always nicer overall each of the 3 hotels is just fine. We have stayed at all 3 and can't really remember complaining about the extra distance when not at the Grand Californian. When compared to walking from resort to park or anywhere really in WDW this is a piece of cake!

All Who Come To This Happy Place Welcome,
mdsd8700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
icephoenix25
Earning My Ears

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

There really is only a minimal distance between the two. Don't let that be something that sways a decision between the two. However, I have heard that pool hopping isn't allowed anymore. Is that true?
icephoenix25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #8
mdsd8700
It's kind of fun to do the impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by icephoenix25 View Post
There really is only a minimal distance between the two. Don't let that be something that sways a decision between the two. However, I have heard that pool hopping isn't allowed anymore. Is that true?
Correct no pool hopping. The exception would be if there was a refurbishment of the pool at your hotel.

All Who Come To This Happy Place Welcome,
mdsd8700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #9
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by icephoenix25 View Post
My stepmom says pool hopping used to be allowed, but by the time I was planning our first big trip there for 2007 (and I booked in March of that year but had been reading here and at mouseplanet for months before that) it was not allowed. It's been awhile!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #10
DisneyJamieCA
DIS Veteran

I can't answer this question as we've never stayed at PPH, but I did want to give a heads up that none of the onsite hotels will guarantee connecting rooms. They will note it as a request, but it's luck of the draw when you get there.

Upcoming: Oct 16-19 (DLH); Nov 19-25 (GCH)

DL Onsite - Aug. '06 (GCH), Dec. '06 (GCH), Dec. '07 (GCH), Feb. '12 (DLH) Nov. '12 (GCH), Nov. '13 (DLH), June '14 (PPH)

DL Offsite - Sept. '07, Aug. '08, Aug. '09, Nov. '10, July '11, June '12, Oct. '12

DisneyJamieCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:01 AM   #11
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyJamieCA View Post
I can't answer this question as we've never stayed at PPH, but I did want to give a heads up that none of the onsite hotels will guarantee connecting rooms. They will note it as a request, but it's luck of the draw when you get there.
This is true. We usually get a suite because of this. Honestly, I do think it depends on the time of year you visit though. We have gone off season (November) and did decide to do connecting rooms because there was a better chance (in our minds) that we would get them and we did. We are going this August and know it will be much busier so we will not risk it. Booked a 2 bedroom suite at DLH instead.
Walking distance is really a non-issue between the two. I prefer DLH because of the theme, larger room, and the pool. But you really can't go wrong with either. Have a great trip!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: