Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #16
billwendy
DIS Veteran

We took a trip with my cousin who had a 22 month old peanut at 22 lbs. She thought for sure babywearing would work at disney because it does at home, but neither mom nor toddler were happy. The heat got to the both of them and they were miserable. Also, Toby couldn't see as much as she wanted to, and sometimes resisted. After 2 days, they ended up renting a stroller from Orlando Magic Rentals or something like that and everything went much smoother. It also made it easy for mom to go on big kid rides while someone else watched or took Toby on a different ride. Just things to think about!! Whatever you do - have a GREAT time!!!

Traumatic Brain Injury 2/5 & 9/6/2013
March is TBI Awareness Month!
Life changes in an instant! Shine On!
billwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #17
theAfamily
Earning My Ears

IMO strollers are much easier. Some rides dont let you keep the sling on while on the ride and make you have baby on your lap. But I have had my 6 month old in one before and no back pain or anything but it depends how old your baby will be. Theres long days so keep in mind your comfort too, have fun!

The Big A Family! Family of 14!

Molly Bert

Derik (19) Rachel and Gracie (15) Piper, Lexie, and Kylie (9) Bentley and Chloe (6) Brooke (4) Samuel and Sadie (3) Sophie (11 months)

Went to WDW with entire family on 8/12/12
theAfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #18
todzwife
There's nothing worse than walking around with a wet butt

I'd still bring at LEAST a light weight umbrella stroller in case you get hot or tired. It's a lot of walking, and adding an additional 20+pounds can put a LOT of strain on your feet!
Old 02-25-2013, 12:34 AM   #19
Malakaiii
Mouseketeer

We're big babywearers too! Our favourite quick & easy and reliable carrier is the Boba 3G. My husband has a camo one that he loves to wear!

Our daughter will be 2.5 when we go in May. We still wear her a LOT. I'll be 29 weeks pregnant, so focusing on carrying that baby. DH will be carrying DD when she needs it.

We're going to rent a stroller, though. Our daughter never rides in a stroller, but LOVES THEM so it'll be enough of a treat that we won't have to fight her into it. Plus it's a good storage spot for all our stuff. And if she wants to be in and out, it's a lot less frustrating to get her out of the stroller than the carrier. If she was a bit younger (around 1) I would just bring the Boba 3G.

Also keep in mind the heat. I find it's hard to keep her cool in the carrier when it's very warm. I can at least shade the stroller and put a fan on it for her.

Hope you have a fantastic time whatever you choose! Your carrier will be a savior at the airport at the very least.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #20
Tropics
Mouseketeer

Totally doable. We did a combo with DD (11.5 months at the last) last month - both stroller and carrier (Beco Gemini). Honestly, we could not have survived without the carrier! We could have survived without the stroller (although I liked the occasional break from the carrier). DD will NOT sleep in the stroller because there is too much for her to see - pop her in the carrier facing me and she slept through noise and rides (including Dumbo). When it would get really busy DD did not like being in the stroller and being surrounded by people's legs - pop her in the carrier facing outwards and she could see what we saw at our face level. It was also great for rides - park the stroller and have DD in the carrier both in the queue and on the ride. This was great when she was asleep so we didn't need to bother her but also when she was awake so that she was facing out on the rides but I felt completely safe with her strapped to me. It was also great when we were on the boat to the Poly or the monorail was busy and we needed to fold the stroller up.

I think that the type of carrier makes a big difference. With the Beco I could quickly strap DD and go. I could also change her from facing me to facing outward while on the go. I might not have used a carrier as much if it had been more difficult to use (or not as comfortable) as my Beco. I have back problems and ankle problems and I found that I would get a bit more tired (but then I also need the extra exercise) but when travelling with such a young one we needed to let her take breaks back at the room anyways.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:24 PM   #21
erin327
Mouseketeer

We love babywearing at WDW. You can keep baby on you for most rides and shows. You are able to experience a lot more during nap times and after bedtimes with little ones in a carrier than in a stroller. We also prefer to have the LO up near us instead of in a stroller facing out into a crowd. It is much easier to get on and off buses with baby in a carrier than a stroller. We have done several trips without strollers up to 4 years old. I agree that is depends on what you are used to. We babywear all the time at home and have found it to be wonderfully freeing at WDW. You said your DH won't be able to help carry the LO. How about the backpack? You will likely need some type of bag and it would be tough for you to carry both the kid and the bag.

We have done some wrapping at WDW, but I just find our kinderpacks to be our best bet. We have one with a solarveil type panel in them to help a little with the heat.
erin327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #22
smallandfierce
Earning My Ears

Another Disney babywearer here! Up until ours are about six months old, I use a regular wrap-style sling, then I switch over to front-wearing in a mei tai style carrier until they're around two years old. Like a PP said, it's really easy to just get on the ride with the baby still in the carrier, the only trouble I had with this was when my kids were closer to two and wanted to sit on the seat by themselves.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #23
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

I babywear with my 26 month old dd. I also wear my 4 yr old dd. She is a bit heavier and it is harder to do it for a long time. She got to be carried occasionally on our SW trip. I am looking at getting a boba 3g for our upcoming disney trip. I like full buckle carriers best at theme parks. I have the ergo but she has outgrown it. I bring the stroller anyways just to carry our stuff. Also she is more active now and likes to get down and ride or walk. When I went on our last trip she was 3 months. I didn't wear her on POTC and small world. Most the other rides they say the child has to be facing forward.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #24
Annie78
Mouseketeer

My Kinderpack arrived today! DS is finding it much more comfy than the outgrown Pikkolo. He's ~38"/33lbs, so we got the "preschool" size, the biggest one.
Here's hoping for some good carrier naps on our trip! I will also rent a stroller, but DS doesn't fall asleep there, and the carrier will keep my arms from falling off when he wants to watch things from up high...
Annie78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:41 PM   #25
DznyPrnces
Mouseketeer

It's doable but I would keep in mind the time of year. I was at Disneyland 2 weeks ago and wore my 5 month old DS and while the carrier itself (ergo) was plenty comfortable, I was HOT! We are going to WDW in May, which will be even warmer (and more humid) than CA in February. So I will just wear him (8 months at the time) while in lines, the rest of the time I will use the stroller.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #26
nhmommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyWhnChasd View Post
We took DD to WDW when she was about 22 months and I carried her in my Ergo carrier A LOT. We had a stroller but since I rarely ever use one at home she wasn't used to it and didn't really want to ride in it. It was a little tiring to carry her all the time but I was also 6-7 months pregnant with DS so I was more worn down than I otherwise would have been.

I think it's very doable to use a carrier most of the time provided you get a few breaks by handing off, letting LO walk for a bit, etc. I think you can keep them in the carrier on rides but i never did. DD always wanted to sit normally. It wasn't a big deal though. If you are an experienced baby wearer you can pop them in and out fairly quickly.

We are planning another trip now and won't be taking a stroller. DD will be 3 and DS about 1. Most would probably think we are crazy but it is what works for us. We are just not stroller people and neither are our kids. So yeah, I would say very doable! YMMV
I carried my at the time 18 MO typical size son in September while 7+ months pregnant and I would do it again in a heartbeat the Ergo I used wasn't too hot I wouldn't do it without a stroller though carrying all the baby gear and the baby and not getting occasional stroller breaks would make it miserable for me.
I then carried my then 2 1/2 yo one year later quite a bit around colonial Williamsburg and I basically carried him or his brother who was 10 months old.the whole time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA mom View Post
Just a question/point, is doable the same as enjoyable?

I "do" a lot of things as a mom that I don't enjoy. When on vacation, I want to enjoy, not just do. You may want to try a longer outing to see what will work for you.
I defiantly think carrying the boys on bout occasions added to my ability to do what I enjoyed while on both trips the carrier was priceless in the lines and it was great for him to fall asleep on my back then we could still go on rides and shows I could just move him to the front if he had fallen asleep in the stroller I would have had to sit out or risk waking him to move him either into my arms or into the carrier. The Ergo is also better in my opinion then a framed carrier because you can switch from front to back and you can fold it to easily fit under the stroller when you are not using it I brought both the frame carrier and the Ergo and never took the frame pack from the room.
nhmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #27
iforry
Earning My Ears

Thumbs up

It is totally doable and enjoyable! We'll be going in April and our daughter will be almost 18 months old. We only have wraps here, no buckles or rings. So I plan to use a size 2 wrap for hip carries, for walking between rides. (a ring sling would be good here too) I'll also take a size 6 wrap along for longer periods of wearing, such as walking around World Showcase, or the trails at Animal Kingdom. A buckle carrier would work for this too... I might actually borrow one from my sister in law. A long wrap or buckle carrier will also be useful if you find yourself having to stand on the bus on the way back to your resort. I'm going to wrap baby in a FWCC before we get on the bus, in case we end up having to stand. She might also fall asleep this way

Most importantly, I think, is to be prepared for every scenario. Baby might not want anything to do with the stroller. She might want nothing to do with the carrier. You might decide wearing is too difficult there. Or you might find the stroller to be a pain in the butt. I'm planning and packing for everything!
iforry is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: