Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #31
rwdavis2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartmickey1111 View Post
Okay...now I am FREAKING OUT!!! I just went and read the faa links someone posted and checked the list of air traffic control towers that may be closing and guess what.... the one here in Idaho that I leave from is on that list!!! What do I do if it closes!?!?!?
Relax. The stuff in the news is scare tactics by the government. CNN got the Secratary of Transportation to admit that their budget is larger than it was in 2008 with fewer flights to monitor. They are not going to instantly shut down airports if the sequester hits. If they do then it is a political move so they can blame the other side for it.
Wilderness Lodge 2004
All Star Vacation Homes 2008
Wilderness Lodge & Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012(November)
All Star Movies January 2013
Paradise Pier September 2013

Pittsburgh Dad says, "Whaddya mean you don't like sauerkraut? You want bad luck all year? Everything good that's ever happened to me started with sauerkraut! "
rwdavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #32
Greysword

DIS Dad #618
Fantasmic is not rainbows and unicorns; it is a full contact sport

Quote:
Okay...now I am FREAKING OUT!!! I just went and read the faa links someone posted and checked the list of air traffic control towers that may be closing and guess what.... the one here in Idaho that I leave from is on that list!!! What do I do if it closes!?!?!?
LOL! You'll be fine. If you are connecting in DEN and have a 30 minute layover, I bet you're flying United (UA) versus Frontier or Southwest. If so, good luck for just flying UA

While UA has cleaned up their act quite a bit over the past few months, you may still have departure issues in DEN simply due to the airline integration problems. Also if your flight from SLC is delayed, it is likely the plane you're taking from DEN to MCO may also be delayed in arriving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizDaD7 View Post
But 1 thing that I do have to say is, that I'm soo annoyed w/ Delta Airlines.

... "Don't be surprised if you get another change between now n then." LoL I'm thinking why 4 times isn't enough??? My question is this. I've been flying for at least 35 years now, Has anyone ever had this or anything close to this happend, because I certainly haven't?
Delta is notorious for changing aircraft more than once as the schedules are amended as the departure date gets closer. With DL, I generally keep an eye on the reservation either through DL.com or better yet via a tracking site like TripIt. Award Wallet was the BEST, but DL killed their interaction via the website.

Bottom line, you want to know about the change before an email is sent, since these are slow to be delivered. If you watch it yourself, then you'll be positioned to grab the seats yourself once the system rearranges everyone.

The good news is that DL has the best in-flight customer service out of all the legacy airlines, IMO. Also if you have a problem, the @deltaassist twitter is the fastest and most responsive way to communicate with the airline. https://twitter.com/DeltaAssist Frequent Fliers like this option over their elite call reps many times.

In addition, if your schedule changes by an hour of more, DL is excellent at allowing you to change your flights to whatever flight you want as long as the origination and departure cities are the same. Thus if the flight you really wanted was too expensive, they will allow you to get on this one for free (pending availability).
- Chris, DIS Dad #618.

Greysword is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #33
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well That link doesn't list MCO as one of the potential ones being affected....I'm guessin it's probably most of the airports that aren't the busiest???

We're also returning in Laguardia LGA in NYC too...None of those airports are on the list as of now either..

We used to fly Continental for hte most part but switched to JET Blue about 8 years ago...Jet Blue = the best IMHO

Well this upcoming trip I couldn't get good deals roughly at the7 month mark. So we ended up finding great deals for Delat if you sign up for AMEX. They also waived the baggae fees if you're a cardholder too.

Long story short: Originally we were supposed to leave LGA at 6:30 AM and arrive roughly 2 1/2 hrs later. Well 2 months went by & an Email was sent saying that flight was switched to 7:05...Not a huge deal but whatever.

Return flight from MCO 8 days later was originally set for 2:55 PM. once again E mail stating that they put us on a 4:05 pm. Then a month later from that they switched us to a 6:00 pm flight....At this point I was livid. We originally had 9th row seating Iand now we're in row 36... They said there's nothing they could do...I spoke w/ a supervisor only to have him say is the best they could do was put us in the preferred section but charge us 39.00 more a person..I was like How is that helping us... Well finally this past Monday they did it again!!! E mail this time changing it back to 6:55 PM....Needless to say I now was on the phone for a total 45 mins. this time, only to find that they did move me up to the 28th row (preferred) with no extra charge....But as we were about to hang up she stated , :
"Don't be surprised if you get another change between now n then." LoL I'm thinking why 4 times isn't enough??? My question is this. I've been flying for at least 35 years now, Has anyone ever had this or anything close to this happend, because I certainly haven't?
You're actually lucky in that Delta notified you. All the times Delta has changed our flights, we've never gotten notified. I find out by checking my flights.

When I booked for our trip in June (back in July), I got two long layovers (3 hours in each direction), and a later return flight than I wanted, to save money and banking on Delta changing the flights so I could adjust to a better suited flight.

Well, it happened... Delta changed the flights... by 15 minutes. That's it (so far). I'm still hoping for a change large enough to get my picks of flights, but with now <4 months away, I'm not holding out hope.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #34
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiller64152 View Post
I have a similar concern. 45 mins in Atlanta. I'm hoping since I'm flying Air Tran, the gates will be fairly close together.
That's what I hoped, too. Then our 45 minute layover turned into an 8+ hour one. It was ugly.

Minnesota! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:09 PM   #35
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysword View Post
LOL! You'll be fine. If you are connecting in DEN and have a 30 minute layover, I bet you're flying United (UA) versus Frontier or Southwest. If so, good luck for just flying UA

While UA has cleaned up their act quite a bit over the past few months, you may still have departure issues in DEN simply due to the airline integration....
The integration of UA and CO happened a year ago. It isn't causing flight departure delays.

I'll take my free, more legroom E+ seats and frequent free upgrades to business/first class, free checked bags, priority security lines, FF miles I can use on many other airlines and for international flights, which I get being a FF on UA over flying on Delta any day,

Last edited by lost*in*cyberspace; 02-26-2013 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Spelling
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #36
iheartmickey1111
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
The integration of UA and CO happened a year ago. It isn't causing flight departure delays.

I'll take my free, more legroom E+ seats and frequent free upgrades to business/first class, free checked bags, priority security lines, FF miles I can use on many other airlines and for international lights, which I get being a FF on UA over flying on Delta any day,
Agreed! We live in a VERY small town, so we only have United as an option for getting Disney anyway, unless we want to drive 3 hours to another state for a different airport. Last year we DID do that, and we flew on Frontier- worst flight of my life!!! They almost ruined our trip (LONG story) and when their broke *** plane made us sit on the tarmac for almost 3 hours, we missed our connection to Disney, so we had to go from Utah to Denver, Denver to Texas, Texas to Orlando...and to top it off they nearly lost ALL my daughters clothing because they weren't paying attention to what they were doing!

I have NEVER had a problem or delay with United though. They also consistently have the cheap airfare for my flights.

*1997- Disneyland*5/2009-Late Honeymoon at AKL (Army ruined our first one)*10/2011- Pop for the MK 40th Anniversary Celebration, MNSSHP, first SOLO trip!*4/2012- Coronado Springs*9/2012-Pop, MNSSHP, Wild Africa Trek, Haunted 5k Run
iheartmickey1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #37
DizDaD7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hey be nice!
Sorry. I didnt mean it to come off sounding mean im just curious how that would work that's all.

1997- Buenavista Hotel/Spa--HoneyMoon--WDW 25thB-day
2000- Allstar Music---Milennium Year!!
2003- Allstar Movies
2006- Off Site/ House
2007- PoP Century
2008- PoP Century
2010- Coronado Springs--->Oct.29-Nov7.
2011- Port Orleans Riverside-->Nov3-Nov11
2012- Boardwalk Villas--->Aug. 21-Sep.1
2013- AKV JH--->Apr5-Apr13..2014- Grand Cal.Villas--->Feb.15-22
2014- AKV--->Nov.1-9
DizDaD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #38
DizDaD7
DIS Veteran

Quote:

While UA has cleaned up their act quite a bit over the past few months, you may still have departure issues in DEN simply due to the airline integration problems. Also if your flight from SLC is delayed, it is likely the plane you're taking from DEN to MCO may also be delayed in arriving.

Delta is notorious for changing aircraft more than once as the schedules are amended as the departure date gets closer. With DL, I generally keep an eye on the reservation either through DL.com or better yet via a tracking site like TripIt. Award Wallet was the BEST, but DL killed their interaction via the website.

Bottom line, you want to know about the change before an email is sent, since these are slow to be delivered. If you watch it yourself, then you'll be positioned to grab the seats yourself once the system rearranges everyone.

The good news is that DL has the best in-flight customer service out of all the legacy airlines, IMO. Also if you have a problem, the @deltaassist twitter is the fastest and most responsive way to communicate with the airline. https://twitter.com/DeltaAssist Frequent Fliers like this option over their elite call reps many times.

In addition, if your schedule changes by an hour of more, DL is excellent at allowing you to change your flights to whatever flight you want as long as the origination and departure cities are the same. Thus if the flight you really wanted was too expensive, they will allow you to get on this one for free (pending availability).
Thnx for the info.

1997- Buenavista Hotel/Spa--HoneyMoon--WDW 25thB-day
2000- Allstar Music---Milennium Year!!
2003- Allstar Movies
2006- Off Site/ House
2007- PoP Century
2008- PoP Century
2010- Coronado Springs--->Oct.29-Nov7.
2011- Port Orleans Riverside-->Nov3-Nov11
2012- Boardwalk Villas--->Aug. 21-Sep.1
2013- AKV JH--->Apr5-Apr13..2014- Grand Cal.Villas--->Feb.15-22
2014- AKV--->Nov.1-9
DizDaD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #39
iheartmickey1111
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Sorry. I didnt mean it to come off sounding mean im just curious how that would work that's all.
I'm no air traffic controller... however, I have learned that smaller airports do it all the time. My specific airport never has anyone there until 7 am, so when you have 6 am flights, there isn't anyone there. I would assume that they would be in contact with other ATC's possibly and use all those fancy airplane gadgets so you dont fly into another plane. My airport here said that the only time it becomes a problem at our small airport is when there is bad fog or other bad weather.

*1997- Disneyland*5/2009-Late Honeymoon at AKL (Army ruined our first one)*10/2011- Pop for the MK 40th Anniversary Celebration, MNSSHP, first SOLO trip!*4/2012- Coronado Springs*9/2012-Pop, MNSSHP, Wild Africa Trek, Haunted 5k Run
Old 02-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #40
Greysword

DIS Dad #618

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post

I'll take my free, more legroom E+ seats and frequent free upgrades to business/first class, free checked bags, priority security lines, FF miles I can use on many other airlines and for international flights, which I get being a FF on UA over flying on Delta any day,
LOL! If you were Platinum on Delta, American, or US you'd get the same benefits, but I'm glad to hear UA is doing better. Six months ago, they were having serious issues, and my experience is that United had customer service issues for decades now. Hopefully, the ship is turning around.

Quote:
Agreed! We live in a VERY small town, so we only have United as an option for getting Disney anyway, unless we want to drive 3 hours to another state for a different airport. Last year we DID do that, and we flew on Frontier- worst flight of my life!!! They almost ruined our trip (LONG story) and when their broke *** plane made us sit on the tarmac for almost 3 hours, we missed our connection to Disney, so we had to go from Utah to Denver, Denver to Texas, Texas to Orlando...and to top it off they nearly lost ALL my daughters clothing because they weren't paying attention to what they were doing!

I have NEVER had a problem or delay with United though. They also consistently have the cheap airfare for my flights.
I'm glad UA works well for you. I would caution against judging an airline by one trip, as all of them could have the same problems. Just read about United's woes last summer.

I figured it was likely UA you were flying, though. In relation to your original question, 30 minutes is stiff at DEN, but not impossible, since United owns airside B and they are concentrated there. I don't think they have aircraft at any other section, so you'd likely be ok with a tight connection there, as it is a straight shot from one side to the other with moving walkways in sections to help speed things along.
- Chris, DIS Dad #618.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #41
Snow Shoe
What time is the 3 o'clock parade?

Our airport is a regional feed to DFW. The only airline that serves us is American Eagle. Our airport is on the FAA closure list for tower air traffic controlers. American Eagle won't fly into any airport that does not have controled air space, effectivly closing our aiport down to commerical avaition. We have reservations to fly the eagle to DFW in mid June. I do so hope that by then this is all figured out. If not, I'll have to cancle our leg from our airport to DFW and just keep DFW to MCO part. Getting up at 3am, driving 3.5hrs to DFW, parking and the hassell of reduced security at DFW, I'm not looking foward to.

Walt Disney World... been there, done that, GOING BACK!

DLP trip...WOW!!
30th Anniversary trip...DOUBLE WOW!!!!!
Family Trip Christmas 2007...Unbelievable!!!
Retiement trip 2008...DL and WDW Outstanding!!!
Snow Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:27 PM   #42
iheartmickey1111
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Shoe View Post
Our airport is a regional feed to DFW. The only airline that serves us is American Eagle. Our airport is on the FAA closure list for tower air traffic controlers. American Eagle won't fly into any airport that does not have controled air space, effectivly closing our aiport down to commerical avaition. We have reservations to fly the eagle to DFW in mid June. I do so hope that by then this is all figured out. If not, I'll have to cancle our leg from our airport to DFW and just keep DFW to MCO part. Getting up at 3am, driving 3.5hrs to DFW, parking and the hassell of reduced security at DFW, I'm not looking foward to.
I feel your pain! I cancelled my flight outta Idaho and switched to Salt Lake City, so I'll have to stay in a hotel the night before in Salt Lake City to hit my 6 am flight! Funny how people who have never had to deal with small airports put on their judgey-pants! So many people don't have any other options!! At least you have a few months for them to get things figured out! The cuts are supposed to happen April 1st and my flight is April 13th- too close for me to worry about a trip being ruined!

Old 03-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #43
MomofCKJ
I just lost steam at about 5 minutes
Wants to really smell the roses
I will not eat the second end of the hot dog

Quote:
Well That link doesn't list MCO as one of the potential ones being affected....I'm guessin it's probably most of the airports that aren't the busiest???

We're also returning in Laguardia LGA in NYC too...None of those airports are on the list as of now either..

We used to fly Continental for hte most part but switched to JET Blue about 8 years ago...Jet Blue = the best IMHO

Well this upcoming trip I couldn't get good deals roughly at the7 month mark. So we ended up finding great deals for Delat if you sign up for AMEX. They also waived the baggae fees if you're a cardholder too.

Long story short: Originally we were supposed to leave LGA at 6:30 AM and arrive roughly 2 1/2 hrs later. Well 2 months went by & an Email was sent saying that flight was switched to 7:05...Not a huge deal but whatever.

Return flight from MCO 8 days later was originally set for 2:55 PM. once again E mail stating that they put us on a 4:05 pm. Then a month later from that they switched us to a 6:00 pm flight....At this point I was livid. We originally had 9th row seating Iand now we're in row 36... They said there's nothing they could do...I spoke w/ a supervisor only to have him say is the best they could do was put us in the preferred section but charge us 39.00 more a person..I was like How is that helping us... Well finally this past Monday they did it again!!! E mail this time changing it back to 6:55 PM....Needless to say I now was on the phone for a total 45 mins. this time, only to find that they did move me up to the 28th row (preferred) with no extra charge....But as we were about to hang up she stated , :
"Don't be surprised if you get another change between now n then." LoL I'm thinking why 4 times isn't enough??? My question is this. I've been flying for at least 35 years now, Has anyone ever had this or anything close to this happend, because I certainly haven't?
Happened to me on two different trips to Orlando with Delta and that is when I said enough is enough. Each time they'd move me I'd lose all our seat assignments. It was frustrating. I switched to JB and love them. I paid more this upcoming trip (11 days!) than I ever have to fly to FL but JB doesn't mess with my flights and we love the snacks and just the vibe on board too.

Allyson
MomofCKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #44
Greysword

DIS Dad #618

Quote:
...Funny how people who have never had to deal with small airports put on their judgey-pants! ...
LOL Like this?

- Chris, DIS Dad #618.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #45
iheartmickey1111
Mouseketeer

Quote:
LOL Like this?

LMAO! YES!! Precisely!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: