Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #1591
Cinderella909
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danceintherain View Post
So...since I'm sick, and it is super cold and snowy outside anyways, I've spent the last few days trying to dissect the Disney Cake pricing structure. I noticed that certain price points came up over and over again, especially within a specific bakery.

Grand Floridian Brave Theme 2-layer 6-inch Fondant & Edible Image Strawberries & Cream Filling

Base Cost = $21
Base Customize (Flowers & Edible Image) = $25
Filling = $5
Fondant = $15
Total Cost = $66

I just thought I'd share in case it can help someone else!
Hope you are feeling better soon! And, what a lovely surprise to see our cake again! Wanted to let you know, that while it was a small cake, the cake was at least 3 layers with the bavarian cream and strawberry filling. Guess I didn't take a photo of the inside. I have always spent around 55.00 for our six inch cakes (all white cakes with the bavarian cream and strawberry filling). I really didn't expect to have fondant, but imagine that is why is was a little more.

Thanks for bringing back the fond memories! Karen

Last edited by Cinderella909; 02-26-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:43 AM   #1592
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderella909 View Post
Hope you are feeling better soon! And, what a lovely surprise to see our cake again! Wanted to let you know, that while it was a small cake, the cake was at least 3 layers with the bavarian cream and strawberry filling. Guess I didn't take a photo of the inside. I have always spent around 55.00 for our six inch cakes (all white cakes with the bavarian cream and strawberry filling). I really didn't expect to have fondant, but imagine that is why is was a little more.

Thanks for bringing back the fond memories! Karen
It was definitely a lovely cake. We're only going to have 4 people with us, so a 6-inch is exactly the size I think we need no matter the layers. I can't remember if I actually saw the inside of your cake or not? It could have been that I misconstrued it as 2-layers?
Oh well...it definitely helped me determine that my budget should be sufficient! It's hard to look at a picture of a $66 cake and another of a $125 cake and understand what the difference is, even if you have other info about it.

I got the sickness my Mom had while we were visiting last weekend. Her doctor told her that at least the throat part could linger for 2-3 months! I'm really hoping it doesn't, because I'm really considering auditioning for the American Idol Experience this year!
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #1593
Jmacsmom
Earning My Ears

Hi! I've been lurking on here for a bit and now I have a question on custom cakes. I'm hopeful that one of you veterans can help me.

I called the WDW # to order, or at least discuss, a custom cake for my son's birthday. We'll be in WDW in mid-July so I know I have plenty of time to get the design and cake detials finalized. Well, I spoke with a CM 7 days ago and emailed him a picture of the cake I have in mind. He emailed me 3 days later saying that he believes that the chef could probably create the cake and then asked the date of my ADR. I responded with the info and haven't heard back. I don't want to pester this person, I'm sure they're busy. But how long should I wait before I drop him a line. asking for an update?

Adding the following to my question:

I was directed to speak with someone at the Yachtsman or the yacht and beach club but after reading through the messages here it seems like Chef Brian at the Contemporary is the choice bajer. Is it possible to work directly with him even though the cake owuld be for a dinner at the Yachtsman?

TIA

Last edited by Jmacsmom; 02-27-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #1594
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmacsmom View Post
But how long should I wait before I drop him a line. asking for an update?
I'd maybe give it a week? You have so much time that your message may be lower on their priority list right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmacsmom View Post
I was directed to speak with someone at the Yachtsman or the yacht and beach club but after reading through the messages here it seems like Chef Brian at the Contemporary is the choice bajer. Is it possible to work directly with him even though the cake owuld be for a dinner at the Yachtsman
Not unless you went to the Contemporary to pick up the cake and then brought it with you to dinner. The Contemporary does not supply cakes for Yacht & Beach Club restaurants because that resort has its own pastry team. They are quite competent, they just seem to charge more than the Contemporary...
Old 02-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #1595
Jmacsmom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
I'd maybe give it a week? You have so much time that your message may be lower on their priority list right now.

Not unless you went to the Contemporary to pick up the cake and then brought it with you to dinner. The Contemporary does not supply cakes for Yacht & Beach Club restaurants because that resort has its own pastry team. They are quite competent, they just seem to charge more than the Contemporary...
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. I'll give the gentleman a week or so until I ping him. I understand not being a priority but I also want to make sure I don't get lost in the shuffle.

And again, thanks for clarifying on the availability of working with the contemporary. I'll stick with the Yachtsman and hope for the best.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #1596
amw
need a new tag

I tried to order a "standard" 8-inch confetti cake (Shown on LurkyLoo's standard cake page) through the cake hotline. It was for the Grand Floridian. 30-minutes later ... the person at GF said I had to go through Pat because confetti sprinkles is a custom addition!

I left a message but I don't want a custom cake. They tried to tell me I could only get a podium cake, but I knew I wanted an 8-inch with my daughters' names on it.

Is Disney no longer offering standard cakes to order?

WDW, March 2014 - POR
WDW, March 2013 - Swan
WDW, August 2012 - Beach Club Grand Gathering
DLR, August 2011 - Sheraton Anaheim
WDW, March 2011 - Marriott Sabal Palms
WDW, March 2010 - POFQ & Hilton Clearwater
WDW, Feb 2009 - Poly - a Disney pin sucked me in!
WDW, April 2008 - Bonnet Creek Resort
DLR, March 2007 - Hyatt - First trip ever to DL!
WDW, Sept 2005 - Cypress Pointe
WDW, Nov 2003 - HIFS - First trip with my princesses!
WDW, Nov 1998 - Grosvenor
WDW, Aug 1980 - Fort Wilderness
WDW, Aug 1974 - Fort Wilderness - Toddling my way through MK!
Old 02-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #1597
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by amw View Post
I tried to order a "standard" 8-inch confetti cake (Shown on LurkyLoo's standard cake page) through the cake hotline. It was for the Grand Floridian. 30-minutes later ... the person at GF said I had to go through Pat because confetti sprinkles is a custom addition!

I left a message but I don't want a custom cake. They tried to tell me I could only get a podium cake, but I knew I wanted an 8-inch with my daughters' names on it.

Is Disney no longer offering standard cakes to order?
I think the trouble here is that not every resort and park is going to make its standard cakes to look exactly like those promo pictures Disney released. The CM wanted to be sure that, if you have your heart set on the cake looking exactly like the photo, you are able to "customize" it that way. Ordering a cake like that through Pat shouldn't cost you anymore than if the CM had just taken your order for a standard 8-inch cake, and that way you'll be able to specify what you want it to look like.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #1598
CakeManBri
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
I think the trouble here is that not every resort and park is going to make its standard cakes to look exactly like those promo pictures Disney released. The CM wanted to be sure that, if you have your heart set on the cake looking exactly like the photo, you are able to "customize" it that way. Ordering a cake like that through Pat shouldn't cost you anymore than if the CM had just taken your order for a standard 8-inch cake, and that way you'll be able to specify what you want it to look like.
The confetti design is a standard option for the magic kingdom park. Those pictures are for magic kingdom offerings only to make it easier for guests to order their cake via email.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #1599
vicky33006
Mouseketeer

I love this thread! So, I finally ordered DS's cake for Chef Mickey's. I went back and forth 1,000 times on what I wanted, but in the end decided I didn't need to spend so much to make DS happy. So, I ordered an 8" cake with an image of Wreck-it-Ralph on it. It's vanilla on vanilla. So, the CM was sooo nice and told me that I didn't have to do anything else at this point and that they would bring the cake out right when we are done eating and surprise DS. But, I'm wondering...should I remind them when DS isn't listening? Or can I really trust that they will remember?

Also, this is a much bigger cake than I wanted so will they have a box or something for me to take the rest of the cake? Thanks for any help!!!!

Old 02-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #1600
cindy0519
Mouseketeer

With all the talk about the Yacht Club bakery vs. the Contemporary bakery I'd thought I'd post pictures of cake I had delivered to Le Cellier on Saturday, Feb. 23, 2013 for my nieces birthday celebration. It was VERY easy to order, explained what I was looking for to the person on the telephone (one side with the Snow White dress, and the other with Belle, flowers on the top and a chocolate plaque with "Happy Birthday XXX" on each side facing the appropriate dress), emailed the inspiration picture (thanks for uploading it!! Sorry I can't recall the user name), and then called back to provide my credit card once they confirmed price. The cake, almond with white chocolate/fresh strawberries was incredible! So moist and delicious - my nieces took the remaining cake home on the plane wiht them. I have ordered previously from the Contemporary and while Chef Brian does an great job... the Yacht Club did just as good if not better - a definate I would not hesistate to order here again or to recommend ordering from the Yacht Club!

Sorry the pictures are huge...I cannot for the life of me figure out how to resize them.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #1601
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy0519
With all the talk about the Yacht Club bakery vs. the Contemporary bakery I'd thought I'd post pictures of cake I had delivered to Le Cellier on Saturday, Feb. 23, 2013 for my nieces birthday celebration. It was VERY easy to order, explained what I was looking for to the person on the telephone (one side with the Snow White dress, and the other with Belle, flowers on the top and a chocolate plaque with "Happy Birthday XXX" on each side facing the appropriate dress), emailed the inspiration picture (thanks for uploading it!! Sorry I can't recall the user name), and then called back to provide my credit card once they confirmed price. The cake, almond with white chocolate/fresh strawberries was incredible! So moist and delicious - my nieces took the remaining cake home on the plane wiht them. I have ordered previously from the Contemporary and while Chef Brian does an great job... the Yacht Club did just as good if not better - a definate I would not hesistate to order here again or to recommend ordering from the Yacht Club!

Sorry the pictures are huge...I cannot for the life of me figure out how to resize them.
That cake is so cool. What a wonderful idea.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #1602
momom
Mouse Lover

I see people talking about emailing Chef Brian at the Contemporary. How do you get his email? I don't see it on page 1. I am interested in a birthday cake for our daughter. Thanks so much.
6/1999-Wyndham Resort-Downtown Disney 6/2000-offsite 6/2001-Beach Club 7/2003-Beach Club 7/2005-Animal Kingdom Lodge 7/2006-Beach Club 7/2007-Beach Club 7/2008-Wilderness Lodge 7/2009-Beach Club 7/2010-Poly 7/2013-Beach Club

Old 02-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #1603
mrsksomeday
My Prince uses a power wheelchair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momom View Post
I see people talking about emailing Chef Brian at the Contemporary. How do you get his email? I don't see it on page 1. I am interested in a birthday cake for our daughter. Thanks so much.
You call the Contemporary Resort phone number listed on page one and request the email. The email is not posted on the boards because only people that are serious about cake ordering should email him otherwise he would have constant emails.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #1604
momom
Mouse Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsksomeday View Post
You call the Contemporary Resort phone number listed on page one and request the email. The email is not posted on the boards because only people that are serious about cake ordering should email him otherwise he would have constant emails.
Thank you so much. I will call them.
6/1999-Wyndham Resort-Downtown Disney 6/2000-offsite 6/2001-Beach Club 7/2003-Beach Club 7/2005-Animal Kingdom Lodge 7/2006-Beach Club 7/2007-Beach Club 7/2008-Wilderness Lodge 7/2009-Beach Club 7/2010-Poly 7/2013-Beach Club

Old 02-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #1605
TiggerTrigger
The Wonderful Thing About Tiggers Is Tiggers Are Wonderful Things!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy0519 View Post

Love this cake! Just such a fun concept!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: