Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #31
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
I didn't specify any particular cruise line. But you just did.
And with the comment of "booze, booze, booze", most of us know which cruise line the other person was talking about also. I made no derogatory comments.
Thank you for assuming you know what I mean. I've sailed on 4 different cruiselines (and Carnival is not one of them) and the "booze, booze, booze" mentality has been present to some degree on all of them (more on some than others). And that *includes* DCL.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #32
bahacca
Mouseketeer

My heart goes out to that family.
bahacca is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #33
kuhltiffany
DIS Veteran

So sad...I can't even imagine what that family is going through.

Does DCL have any way of putting ages on the room keys? Just wondering if/how people can be "carded" on the cruise when ordering drinks so they don't have to carry ID...

I've been BOO'ED by SallySkelington!!!
kuhltiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #34
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhltiffany View Post

Does DCL have any way of putting ages on the room keys? Just wondering if/how people can be "carded" on the cruise when ordering drinks so they don't have to carry ID...
I don't think it's actually written on the KTTW cards, but if they are swiped, they can tell how old you are.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #35
anna08
DIS Veteran

If he died from aspiration (vomiting and then having vomit enter your airways), then it's possible that observation in the med center might not have even prevented his death. The only positive thing to come out of this, is that every student in his school, and all who hear of the story, may be a bit more wary about drinking alcohol to such an extent, or stop a friend before they become so drunk. So hopefully this story might save another's life. It should be shared with other teenagers.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #36
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:

The actual age isn't on there, but there is a difference between the legal ADULT cards and the non-adult cards.

Kids don't have to get liquor from the bars. Their parents and their friends' parents carry on a ton of it. All they have to do is swipe a bottle. Just like at home.

Maybe DCL should reconsider their policy of allowing people to bring alcohol onboard, in light of this incident.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #37
cgolf
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The actual age isn't on there, but there is a difference between the legal ADULT cards and the non-adult cards.

Kids don't have to get liquor from the bars. Their parents and their friends' parents carry on a ton of it. All they have to do is swipe a bottle. Just like at home.

Maybe DCL should reconsider their policy of allowing people to bring alcohol onboard, in light of this incident.
Personally I think what happened was a tradgedy.

I do feel that limiting what can be brought on would be overeacting to an isolated event. If the kids really want the booze they will find a way to get it (somebody buy it for them maybe?).

We personally have an open bar in our house that is well stocked, and our DD (15) nows that it is off limits for her and is not interested. If she did swipe something, she would be duelly punished and told how and why it is bad. That being said we are also responsible drinkers so we teach her that too.

It is on the parents to parent their children. If they let there kids swipe booze without punishment than that is bad on them, lets not punish all for isolated events.

FYI I am not making any judgement on the parents in this case, just responding to the above comment.

cgolf
Fantasy 1/13, 1/14
cgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #38
McDonald5
Mouseketeer

Quote:

So we should punish those who are RESPONSIBLE on DCL, b/c of a freak incident that happened in a COMPLETELY different way on ANOTHER cruise line? Yah, that makes total sense. I'm sure you are aware that on Carnival, you aren't allowed to bring ANY alcohol onboard so your point is moot.

Like someone else said, you seem to be jumping to the defense of Carnival before anyone even attacked them so perhaps you should take your own advice and quit being so divisive. And at the same time, you're attacking and blaming the parents (twice that I saw) when you know very little information at all. And even still, do you honestly think that that is what is needed right now? Do you think the same thing couldn't have happened to your children b/c you are such a superior parent? I can tell you that my parents were EXTREMELY strict and didn't let me out of their sight except to go to school and work and yet I still found plenty of opportunities to do things that were extremely stupid and could have had permanent consequences. Kids will find a way to do anything they really want to do. You can put up road-blocks (and should). But just know that nothing will stop a teenager from doing something they know they shouldn't do, but want to do, anyway.

Disney Fantasy - 7 night Western Caribbean Oct-Nov 2013
McDonald5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #39
Mom323
Founding member of FOG

Quote:

They have an A for adult, M for minor and a B ( I think) for the 18-20 year olds. This may have changed with the new RFID cards.
Mom323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:49 PM   #40
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna08 View Post
If he died from aspiration (vomiting and then having vomit enter your airways), then it's possible that observation in the med center might not have even prevented his death. The only positive thing to come out of this, is that every student in his school, and all who hear of the story, may be a bit more wary about drinking alcohol to such an extent, or stop a friend before they become so drunk. So hopefully this story might save another's life. It should be shared with other teenagers.
Just spoke about this with my teen.
I am pretty sure that many people aren't aware that there is such a thing as alcohol poisoning. I do recall in college where one boy was taken to the infirmary and watched because he drank so much his friends were concerned about his breathing.

Always a good idea to remind your kids about safety issues. You can't follow them everywhere and at some point you have to just hope that at least some of what you teach them sticks.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #41
DahliaRW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsScooby View Post
I am pretty sure that many people aren't aware that there is such a thing as alcohol poisoning. I do recall in college where one boy was taken to the infirmary and watched because he drank so much his friends were concerned about his breathing.

Always a good idea to remind your kids about safety issues. You can't follow them everywhere and at some point you have to just hope that at least some of what you teach them sticks.

ITA. I knew about alcohol poisoning by high school. I also knew that if my parents caught me drinking I'd be grounded for the rest of my high school days and probably have to live at home while I went to college! It's a tragedy, and one that may or may not have been preventable with education. It also could have happened on land.

Do they sell alcohol to 18yos on cruise ships? I know legal drinking age is different by country.
Walt Disney World (Port Orleans Riverside) January 25-29, 2014 (Epcot, AK, MK, Epcot, HS)
Heading back to Disneyland December 12-16th!!! Taking my nieces on their first trip to DL!!!

DahliaRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #42
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsScooby View Post

I can't imagine that people (by people do you mean teens, adults or both?) don't know about alcohol poisoning? Alcohol is a drug, and therefore poisining is a symptom of overindulgence.

I think many people, both teens and adults, know they can be poisoned, but they choose to ignore it or take the risk. Many teens and adults struggle with self-control when it comes to substances, especially in places like tropical environments or on vacation, where their filters may be turned off.

This is a horribly sad story...sad because it could have been prevented, in more ways than one.

I can't imagine the guilt, confusion and sadness that the parents and sibling must be feeling at this point...

A horrible tragedy...Tiger
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #43
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
ITA. I knew about alcohol poisoning by high school. I also knew that if my parents caught me drinking I'd be grounded for the rest of my high school days and probably have to live at home while I went to college! It's a tragedy, and one that may or may not have been preventable with education. It also could have happened on land.

Do they sell alcohol to 18yos on cruise ships? I know legal drinking age is different by country.
See I had the opposite experience. Alcohol was readily available in my home growing up
Neither my siblings nor I ever had a drinking problem. I think for us it never had the appeal of being a taboo
College was the first time I ever witnessed binge drinking...an eye opener for sure

I know certain states allow for minors to be served alcohol in a private residence with the permission of their parent or guardian...
And yes, some countries, especially in Europe have much younger drinking ages ...

I think the problem rests with education, like you said, maybe that teen would have stopped drinking sooner if he knew that there was a point where he could die ...
I'm just making sure my kids see this and know it as something that could happen.
Then the rest is up to them...

Saying a prayer that this teen's family finds some peace
Old 02-27-2013, 05:22 PM   #44
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger926 View Post
I can't imagine that people (by people do you mean teens, adults or both?) don't know about alcohol poisoning? Alcohol is a drug, and therefore poisining is a symptom of overindulgence.

I think many people, both teens and adults, know they can be poisoned, but they choose to ignore it or take the risk. Many teens and adults struggle with self-control when it comes to substances, especially in places like tropical environments or on vacation, where their filters may be turned off.

This is a horribly sad story...sad because it could have been prevented, in more ways than one.

I can't imagine the guilt, confusion and sadness that the parents and sibling must be feeling at this point...

A horrible tragedy...Tiger
Maybe it is my age, almost 50
But I don't recall alcohol poisoning ever being mentioned as a possibility back in the early 80s
I wa shocked by how much people could and would drink. None of them ever had a medical problem until that one kid my senior year that when to the infirmary.
Aspirin is a drug also. I do recall one kid trying to OD on it in college and damaging his liver...

Like I said above, education about the dangers is important
Old 02-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #45
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Very, very sad.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: