Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #91
Markie Mouse
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the advice, as soon as my taxes are actually in I will decide. I guess I will just go crazy and rack my brain about what's more important, a view or more treats/meals. Thanks Sherry, I will try to look for PPH reviews and see what other people say too, although your advice has helped out trips before; for ex. the xmas trip.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #92
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markie Mouse View Post
Thanks for the advice, as soon as my taxes are actually in I will decide. I guess I will just go crazy and rack my brain about what's more important, a view or more treats/meals. Thanks Sherry, I will try to look for PPH reviews and see what other people say too, although your advice has helped out trips before; for ex. the xmas trip.
I'm always glad to be of help in any way I can be - that's what I'm here for!

I think that waiting until the taxes are in sounds like a good plan. That way, you have more time to think about it.

I think that, for your specific situation, you should keep an eye on the trip reports from the people who are about to stay at the PPH for the first time ever, as that scenario will be the most relevant to you. I think you've already posted in PHXscuba's TR thread so you must be subscribed to it. She will be at the PPH very soon.

The other person who jumps to mind is cristyhas3 - she has a Pre-TR called "Memories Begin in March," and she will also be staying at the PPH for the first time ever in just a short time.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-01-2013, 01:34 AM   #93
Markie Mouse
Mouseketeer

Tax money on Monday!!! Will post an update. After reading reports about picture taking issues I am wondering if I should buy my tickets from disneyland.com or do a package from getaway today. I might even make it a 6 day PH and just go to the parks on arrival day(not our usual tradition) and get pics out of the way for our MM. I hope it is smoothed out by June. I couldn't imagine them running this picture taking, with ID and ticket signing at the gates thing during peak season.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #94
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Tax money on Monday!!! Will post an update. After reading reports about picture taking issues I am wondering if I should buy my tickets from disneyland.com or do a package from getaway today. I might even make it a 6 day PH and just go to the parks on arrival day(not our usual tradition) and get pics out of the way for our MM. I hope it is smoothed out by June. I couldn't imagine them running this picture taking, with ID and ticket signing at the gates thing during peak season.
I can't imagine it either. It sounds like it would be crazy. They were not doing that at the gates when I was there in December (or when I was there last June for the Cars Land preview, for that matter).

I almost forgot - when I was referring to PHXscuba and cristyhas3 above as being the 'ones to watch' for first-timers' reviews of the Paradise Pier Hotel (whereas you already know that I am a PPH fan and that Laurie/DizNee Luver is a PPH fan, and our reviews will be positive), I neglected to mention the Trip Reports to watch for Goofy's Kitchen first-timer reviews, which may be of interest to you:

Bret/mvf-m11c - He is currently reporting on the January trip he took in which he ate at Goofy's Kitchen for the first time in decades, so it was basically like the first time. He just posted his Goofy's segment a couple of days ago. If you haven't already checked out his TR thread (and he has many TR's in one thread, as I do), I think you will enjoy his photos because you take such great photos yourself! He uses a DSLR and his fireworks shots, especially, are spectacular.

lsulindy - She seems to have temporarily disappeared from her TR, but when she last checked in she reported on her first time at Goofy's Kitchen (earlier in February).

pixleyyy - She is a WDW vet who did a TR for her recent December DLR visit. She ate at Goofy's Kitchen for the first time and reported on it. She may have even stayed at the PPH too, but I can't recall. Also, she is a professional photographer, as I remember it, so she's got some great shots in there (a lot of great family photos - good composition!).

Escape2Disney - Her recent TR (which is short) for her December DLR visit involved her first stay at the PPH, and I think it was her first time at Surf's Up with Mickey, if I remember correctly. She also went to Club 33. (In fact, Escape2Disney, DizNee Luver and I were all staying at the PPH at the same time in December, and we all ended up at Surf's Up at different points in our trips!)

So those are just a few TR's you may want to check out for those Goofy's, PPH and/or Surf's Up reviews from first-timers!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:31 AM   #95
Markie Mouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
So those are just a few TR's you may want to check out for those Goofy's, PPH and/or Surf's Up reviews from first-timers!
Thanks for the links and helping in enabling in my DLR addiction. But that's why the DISboards are here right?
Old 03-03-2013, 12:07 AM   #96
Markie Mouse
Mouseketeer

Well, things came up. We are staying all 8 nights at the BWPPI. We wanted more breathing money for the time being. But its booked!!!! Summer can't come soon enough.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:10 AM   #97
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

I will be following along on your trip report which must be exciting for you and your family since you are a few months away.

When I went to DL in January and saw at the turnstiles that there were CM's just before entering the turnstiles taking pictures of the guests to make sure that the ticket belongs to that person and not someone else. This process took some time when my group had to get a picture and signed the ticket to confirm that it belongs to them. Luckily, I didn't have to hand them my AP to them outside the turnstile since my picture is in the system. I can understand why the DLR is doing this and there were times that the lines were so long that it was just crazy during the slow season. I don't like and hope they will resolved these issues during the summertime.

Quote:
Well, things came up. We are staying all 8 nights at the BWPPI. We wanted more breathing money for the time being. But its booked!!!! Summer can't come soon enough.
You will have a great time at BWPPI since I have stayed at that hotel a lot of times and a great location where it will be a short walk to the DLR.
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:46 AM   #98
Markie Mouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post
I will be following along on your trip report which must be exciting for you and your family since you are a few months away.

When I went to DL in January and saw at the turnstiles that there were CM's just before entering the turnstiles taking pictures of the guests to make sure that the ticket belongs to that person and not someone else. This process took some time when my group had to get a picture and signed the ticket to confirm that it belongs to them. Luckily, I didn't have to hand them my AP to them outside the turnstile since my picture is in the system. I can understand why the DLR is doing this and there were times that the lines were so long that it was just crazy during the slow season. I don't like and hope they will resolved these issues during the summertime.

You will have a great time at BWPPI since I have stayed at that hotel a lot of times and a great location where it will be a short walk to the DLR.
Awesome, thanks for joining. You're one my influences here on the boards for trip reports. Let me know what you think of my photos. Throw out some critiques. I decided no PPH this time but wife is already talking of doing a trip with just me and her on a weekend for my Birthday in Dec so maybe even might stay at the DLH then.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:11 AM   #99
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Awesome, thanks for joining. You're one my influences here on the boards for trip reports. Let me know what you think of my photos. Throw out some critiques. I decided no PPH this time but wife is already talking of doing a trip with just me and her on a weekend for my Birthday in Dec so maybe even might stay at the DLH then.
Thank you Mark. I looked at most of your photos on your trip reports and they are very nice. I am not really good at critiquing photos that well. All of your photos are great especially your family pictures where they are all excited. It would have been nice to stay at PPH during your upcoming trip but the extra savings at staying at BWPPI will help you in the long run. That would be a great honeymoon trip for the two of you to go to the DLR during the Holiday season and possibly staying at the DLH.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:41 AM   #100
Markie Mouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post
Thank you Mark. I looked at most of your photos on your trip reports and they are very nice. I am not really good at critiquing photos that well. All of your photos are great especially your family pictures where they are all excited. It would have been nice to stay at PPH during your upcoming trip but the extra savings at staying at BWPPI will help you in the long run. That would be a great honeymoon trip for the two of you to go to the DLR during the Holiday season and possibly staying at the DLH.
Well thanks Brett. I agree, a honeymoon weekend trip without the kids would be nice. But it would have to be in secret and we would have to take it to our grave because our little girl would loathe us for going to Disneyland without her. . With that extra money we saved, we ended up using it for a down payment for our new(ish) car. It's gonna be an awesome trip. One question I have for you, How do you take such nice WOC without a tripod? Is it just experience has taught you how to steady your hands or is there a trick you know?
Old 03-09-2013, 02:08 AM   #101
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well thanks Brett. I agree, a honeymoon weekend trip without the kids would be nice. But it would have to be in secret and we would have to take it to our grave because our little girl would loathe us for going to Disneyland without her. . With that extra money we saved, we ended up using it for a down payment for our new(ish) car. It's gonna be an awesome trip. One question I have for you, How do you take such nice WOC without a tripod? Is it just experience has taught you how to steady your hands or is there a trick you know?
It is always great to have a honeymoon trip without the kids. That is a smart move to use the extra money that you saved on a new car. Hope that you and your family have a great trip.

I just carried my DSLR camera in my hands and took pictures of WoC. I have learned from other DISers like PrincessInOz, etc. who have shown me what settings to use during the nighttime shows from WoC, fireworks, and F!. I have also learned over time when I been taking pictures of the nighttime shows of what settings to use and the pictures are getting better and better.

For my pictures of WoC that I have took during my January trip I set these setting on my camera. Exposure at 0.05 sec (1/20), Aperture f/3.8, and ISO speed 1600

Old 03-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #102
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!

I'm Here!!!! I guess I didn't realize you had a report going......but then again, I was trying to finish the one before I left on this last one, I'm thinking I was being somewhat selfish and only worrying about my own reports.

I see you've made up your mind on where to stay. The thing I always say about spending the money at the resorts vs staying cheap across the street......ask yourself~how much time do you plan on staying in your room. If you're up early and gone all day.....spending Disney prices for a room probably isn't worth it. If you think you'll be spending the afternoons in your room or taking advantage of the programs, pools, etc back at the resorts....then spending that extra money might be worth it. The only reason we were able to stay there in December was because my son was a CM at WDW and he got a special holiday discount of 60% off. Otherwise, we would have stayed at HoJo's or another one across the street. This last trip, I basically spent our entire tax refund to treat Nick & Marie since they weren't able to join us for the family trip.

Comparison: We stayed 7 nights in Dec. and 5 nights this past trip. It ran me $600 more this trip for our room. Usually, our family trips do not include the resorts. I LOVE staying there and would do it every trip if possible.....but our normal family budget would NOT include the resort hotels. They are VERY EXPENSIVE!!!

I love having money to do all the character meals, have meals at our favorite spots and lots of souvenir money. So if I had to chose between a resort room over the meals/souvenirs......I'd chose the latter.

Mike & I did our 25th anniversary in 2009 and we splurged on the DLH for 2 nights (while the kids all stayed at the Motel 6). We then moved to a Good Neighbor motel and still had a great time!! So if you feel the need to give it a try......see if you can budget in one night. Maybe for an "off" park day, so you can swim, let the kids watch cartoons in the kids room and where you can check out the entire resort, etc.

As for the picture taking for the parkhoppers......they have a person that stands in front of the turnstiles that has a smartphone where they scan your ticket to see that your picture matches before allowing you to go thru the turnstile. The first time you use them, they will take your picture with the phone, make sure your name is put on the back in sharpie and then allow you thru the turnstile. It does slow things up, but they are getting better at it.
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013

DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:10 AM   #103
Markie Mouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizNee Luver View Post
I'm Here!!!! I guess I didn't realize you had a report going......but then again, I was trying to finish the one before I left on this last one, I'm thinking I was being somewhat selfish and only worrying about my own reports.

I see you've made up your mind on where to stay. The thing I always say about spending the money at the resorts vs staying cheap across the street......ask yourself~how much time do you plan on staying in your room. If you're up early and gone all day.....spending Disney prices for a room probably isn't worth it. If you think you'll be spending the afternoons in your room or taking advantage of the programs, pools, etc back at the resorts....then spending that extra money might be worth it. The only reason we were able to stay there in December was because my son was a CM at WDW and he got a special holiday discount of 60% off. Otherwise, we would have stayed at HoJo's or another one across the street. This last trip, I basically spent our entire tax refund to treat Nick & Marie since they weren't able to join us for the family trip.

Comparison: We stayed 7 nights in Dec. and 5 nights this past trip. It ran me $600 more this trip for our room. Usually, our family trips do not include the resorts. I LOVE staying there and would do it every trip if possible.....but our normal family budget would NOT include the resort hotels. They are VERY EXPENSIVE!!!

I love having money to do all the character meals, have meals at our favorite spots and lots of souvenir money. So if I had to chose between a resort room over the meals/souvenirs......I'd chose the latter.

Mike & I did our 25th anniversary in 2009 and we splurged on the DLH for 2 nights (while the kids all stayed at the Motel 6). We then moved to a Good Neighbor motel and still had a great time!! So if you feel the need to give it a try......see if you can budget in one night. Maybe for an "off" park day, so you can swim, let the kids watch cartoons in the kids room and where you can check out the entire resort, etc.

As for the picture taking for the parkhoppers......they have a person that stands in front of the turnstiles that has a smartphone where they scan your ticket to see that your picture matches before allowing you to go thru the turnstile. The first time you use them, they will take your picture with the phone, make sure your name is put on the back in sharpie and then allow you thru the turnstile. It does slow things up, but they are getting better at it.
Yeah, that was our logic for not staying this time. We ended up getting a new apartment because it was taking too long to close on something. The money we saved, we used for a used 7 passenger SUV(which isn't going so well atm) and we figured none of that would have been possible if we would have spent the extra 1300 for staying 3 nights at PPH. Maybe next time.

I hope they do fix the turnstile issue as I've only read bad things about it.

Oh yeah, thanks for joining!
Old 03-16-2013, 01:13 AM   #104
Markie Mouse
Mouseketeer

Look what came in today!!!

Untitled by Markie Mouse, on Flickr Contents include:2 live well magnet bracelets, 2 Mickey and Minnie bags, 4 city pass cards( I really hope these are upgradable).
Old 03-17-2013, 12:18 PM   #105
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!

Quote:
Look what came in today!!!

Untitled by Markie Mouse, on Flickr Contents include:2 live well magnet bracelets, 2 Mickey and Minnie bags, 4 city pass cards( I really hope these are upgradable).
WOO HOO!!!!!
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013

DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: