Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #61
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,489
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo912 View Post
No proof that there is a connection to the embassy warning, but it is mentioned in the story.

http://news.yahoo.com/california-cou...000934306.html
Have you talked to ABD about any of this? Do they seem concerned?

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #62
tufbuf
Disney Addict!
 
tufbuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 991

FWIW, there is no proof they were kidnapped but I'll practice caution if I am booked to go there. Cuzco didn't look like a seedy town. It is quite busy during the day time and I'll be very careful going out at night, or go in groups at least.
__________________



ABD-2014(Ireland/Scotland),2013(CR),2012(Greece/Alpine Magic),2011 (Peru & Ecuador),2010 (SWS),2009 (CKL),2008 (VI); DCL-2007 (DW 3n),2008 (DM 7n WC),2010 (11n Med),2011 (DD 3n,7n MR,DD 4n),2012 (DFMV 7nWC,5nCan DM,5n DD),2013(3n DD,12n Med DM),2014(DD4n,DF7n NYE),DParis 09/09-WDW (Boardwalk) 12/06-DL (Grand Californian) 09/05-WDW (AK Lodge) 10/04 WDW (Coronado Springs) 06/03-DL 09/00-WDW (All Star Music) 10/98-WDW (Port Orleans) 11/97-DL Jun92
tufbuf is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #63
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....
 
dizneekrazee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,572

They have been found alive and well. They were not aware ppl were looking for them. They were in the Amazonian region headed to Ecuador & fell off the grid. The bike shop they work for is 10 minutes from my house.
__________________
DBF & I DS15 DS10 DS8

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13

Last edited by dizneekrazee; 02-26-2013 at 06:49 PM.
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:06 PM   #64
Bobo912
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,677

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneekrazee View Post
They have been found alive and well. They were not aware ppl were looking for them. They were in the Amazonian region headed to Ecuador & fell off the grid. The bike shop they work for is 10 minutes from my house.
Apparently the families still haven't heard from them. Hopefully, they will hear from them tomorrow, when supposedly they will arrive in Ecuador. The young man's mother posted on Facebook that she is waiting for proof.

https://www.facebook.com/MissingInPe...ieNeal?fref=ts

Quote:
Have you talked to ABD about any of this? Do they seem concerned?
I haven't called ABD because I really haven't been all that concerned. If the reports from Peru's Minister of Tourism that the two cyclists have been found turns out to be false, then I will be more concerned and I will call. The embassy warning only mentioned a threat through the end of Februrary, so I was hoping that in the next few weeks the State Dept. might feel the situation had changed for the better.
Bobo912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:55 PM   #65
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,489
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneekrazee View Post
They have been found alive and well. They were not aware ppl were looking for them. They were in the Amazonian region headed to Ecuador & fell off the grid. The bike shop they work for is 10 minutes from my house.
So glad to hear that. I *hope* it's true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo912 View Post
Apparently the families still haven't heard from them. Hopefully, they will hear from them tomorrow, when supposedly they will arrive in Ecuador. The young man's mother posted on Facebook that she is waiting for proof.

https://www.facebook.com/MissingInPe...ieNeal?fref=ts

I haven't called ABD because I really haven't been all that concerned. If the reports from Peru's Minister of Tourism that the two cyclists have been found turns out to be false, then I will be more concerned and I will call. The embassy warning only mentioned a threat through the end of Februrary, so I was hoping that in the next few weeks the State Dept. might feel the situation had changed for the better.
I hope they really are OK. And I'm glad you're not concerned. I hope it all blows over soon.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:22 AM   #66
Bobo912
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,677

I probably shouldn't have read the posts on Facebook. I've had some time for my imagination to run away with me and now I'm worried. I'll probably call today and let ABD reassure me.
Bobo912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #67
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,489
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo912 View Post
I probably shouldn't have read the posts on Facebook. I've had some time for my imagination to run away with me and now I'm worried. I'll probably call today and let ABD reassure me.
Let us know what they say!

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #68
Bobo912
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,677

I called today and was told that ABD stays in contact with the Embassy and if they recommend that tourists not visit the area, ABD will cancel the trip. But for now they haven't received any such communication and we are a go. I was also told that we will have a security team that will follow us throughout our journey. Did any of you who have taken the trip notice this or were they surreptitiously keeping an eye on you? The security warning expires tomorrow and ABD says they haven't received any further warnings, so I'm hoping the State Dept has intelligence that indicates the threat has abated and there will not be a new warning in March. But we shall see. Nothing to do now but trust that ABD will keep abreast of the situation and keep us safe. I know that is their intention.

ETA: The couple in Peru have posted on their Facebook pages, so unless somebody has hacked both of their accounts, it appears that they are safe. Very good news! The mom hasn't posted that she has spoken to her son yet. Hope she gets to speak to him soon, so she can stop worrying.

Last edited by Bobo912; 02-27-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Bobo912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #69
queenmother
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 63

I spoke to ABD today, they are "aware and studying the issue" and feel that a large group with guides is safe from kidnappers. Personally, I am anxious. I have 2 children and can travel anywhere on Earth with them, why would I chance it? Maybe a large group of criminals want to grab a large group of Disney travelers for effect? How do you protect us from a large band of banditos? Scotland is sounding better to me about now....... why is the threat through Feb still on the US Embassy website in March?
Sorry bobo, if I sound an alarmist, just reading that the Embassy staff is prohibited from travel to Cusco and MP concerns me. I have anxiety disorder.
__________________
Mother of a princess, Queen of her castle

Last edited by queenmother; 03-03-2013 at 06:48 PM.
queenmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #70
Bobo912
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,677

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenmother View Post
I spoke to ABD today, they are "aware and studying the issue" and feel that a large group with guides is safe from kidnappers. Personally, I am anxious. I have 2 children and can travel anywhere on Earth with them, why would I chance it? Maybe a large group of criminals want to grab a large group of Disney travelers for effect? How do you protect us from a large band of banditos? Scotland is sounding better to me about now....... why is the threat through Feb still on the US Embassy website in March?
Sorry bobo, if I sound an alarmist, just reading that the Embassy staff is prohibited from travel to Cusco and MP concerns me. I have anxiety disorder.
The word "prohibited" bothers me too. If it's not okay for Embassy staff to travel to Cusco and Machu Picchu, why would it be okay for a group of tourists (and we have at least 44 on our trip, with a large contigency of children)? On the other hand, government issued warnings are not uncommon and usually nothing comes of it. I am still concerned. I check the State Dept. website every day to see if they have removed the warning.

queenmother, did you discuss the possibility of changing to another itinerary with ABD?

ETA: Although the warning hasn't been updated on the State Deparment website yet, there is a post from March 1 on the US Embassy in Lima's facebook page stating that the warning is still in effect.

Last edited by Bobo912; 03-03-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Bobo912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:57 PM   #71
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,489
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo912 View Post
The word "prohibited" bothers me too. If it's not okay for Embassy staff to travel to Cusco and Machu Picchu, why would it be okay for a group of tourists (and we have at least 44 on our trip, with a large contigency of children)? On the other hand, government issued warnings are not uncommon and usually nothing comes of it. I am still concerned. I check the State Dept. website every day to see if they have removed the warning.

queenmother, did you discuss the possibility of changing to another itinerary with ABD?

ETA: Although the warning hasn't been updated on the State Deparment website yet, there is a post from March 1 on the US Embassy in Lima's facebook page stating that the warning is still in effect.
Bobo912, did you ask ABD what would happen if the warning was still in effect when you are scheduled to go? If they have to cancel the trip? Did they offer you any alternatives?

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #72
Bobo912
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,677

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Bobo912, did you ask ABD what would happen if the warning was still in effect when you are scheduled to go? If they have to cancel the trip? Did they offer you any alternatives?

Sayhello
No, I should have asked, but I didn't, and all they said was they they would continue to be in contact with the embassy in Lima and if it was necessary to cancel the trip I would receive a refund or could change to a different date or itinerary. So they didn't say specifically what conditions would lead them to cancel the trip. I'll be calling again tomorrow.
Bobo912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #73
tufbuf
Disney Addict!
 
tufbuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 991

If it is any consolation, Peru is not included in the current list of travel warnings. Hope all goes well with your trip!
__________________



ABD-2014(Ireland/Scotland),2013(CR),2012(Greece/Alpine Magic),2011 (Peru & Ecuador),2010 (SWS),2009 (CKL),2008 (VI); DCL-2007 (DW 3n),2008 (DM 7n WC),2010 (11n Med),2011 (DD 3n,7n MR,DD 4n),2012 (DFMV 7nWC,5nCan DM,5n DD),2013(3n DD,12n Med DM),2014(DD4n,DF7n NYE),DParis 09/09-WDW (Boardwalk) 12/06-DL (Grand Californian) 09/05-WDW (AK Lodge) 10/04 WDW (Coronado Springs) 06/03-DL 09/00-WDW (All Star Music) 10/98-WDW (Port Orleans) 11/97-DL Jun92
tufbuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #74
queenmother
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 63

According to the US Embassy Citizen Service, the warning has not been lifted yet......

http://www.facebook.com/AmericanCitizenServicesLima

They will update this page as soon as it is!!
__________________
Mother of a princess, Queen of her castle
queenmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #75
DisFan10
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 256

This update was issued today.

************************************************** *******
Security Message for U.S. Citizens – Reduction of Potential Kidnapping Threat in Cusco
U.S. Embassy Lima, Peru
March 6, 2013

The U.S. Embassy has conducted a thorough review of current information surrounding the potential kidnapping threat against U.S. citizens in the Cusco and Machu Picchu area by members of a criminal organization. Based upon this review, the February 13 restriction on travel by U.S. Embassy personnel to the region has been lifted.

The Embassy continues to strongly recommend that when traveling in areas near the Peruvian “VRAEM” Emergency Zone, defined by the Government of Peru as parts of the Regions of Apurimac, Ayacucho, Cusco, Huancavelica and Junin, U.S. citizens heighten their security awareness and implement additional security measures. You can find additional tips for safe travel here. The full listing of areas to which Embassy travel is restricted are included in the Threats to Safety and Security section of our Country Specific Information for Peru.

Review your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news stations for updates. Maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security and follow instructions of local authorities.
We strongly recommend that U.S. citizens traveling to or residing in Peru enroll in the Department of State's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). STEP enrollment gives you the latest security updates, and makes it easier for the U.S. embassy or nearest U.S. consulate to contact you in an emergency. If you don't have Internet access, enroll directly with the nearest U.S. embassy.
__________________
Jewels of Southeast Asia - April 2014
Scotland: A Brave Adventure - Aug 2013
Alpine Magic - June 2010
Cities of Knights & Lights - June 2010
Bella Italia - June 2009
Enchanted China - Sept 2008
Southwest Splendors - Sept 2007
Spirit of America - August 2007
DisFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: