Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #31
PippiDancer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatalieCA View Post
Love this trip report!!!!!! Will be following....
Thank you! And welcome!

First Trip, December 2004
Graduation Trip, January 2013: PTR, TR
Solo Trip, April 2015: PTR (in progress)
Old 02-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #32
PippiDancer
Mouseketeer

On Tuesday, we slept in a little later since we didn't have anywhere to be early morning. We got ready and headed to River Mill for some breakfast. We all decided to get bounty platters, which comes with scrambled eggs, home fries, bacon, sausage, a biscuit, and either pancakes, french toast, or a small mickey waffle. I had the Mickey waffle platter, Dad had the french toast platter, and I don't remember what Mom had but I think it was either french toast or pancakes. Everything was very delicious, especially the Mickey waffle, which is the most delicious breakfast food ever created.

After breakfast, we went back to the room to drop off our mugs and grab our park bag. I also took some ibeprofen and put some more biofreeze on my knee. Then we headed to the bus stop and didn't have to wait long for a bus to the Magic Kingdom. We got to MK and hopped on a monorail to the TTC. Why were we going there? Because we were going to Seaworld! We had no idea where the busses were at TTC so we wandered around trying to find it and eventually found a CM to ask. We finally figured out where the Lynx bus stop was and got there just in time to watch it pull away. And city busses aren't like Disney busses, they don't come one after another. So we sat at the bus stop for another 20 minutes until the next bus came. We got on the bus, I put my $2 into the machine thingy, and the driver asked if I needed a transfer. I had no idea what that meant so I think my response was something along the lines of "uhhh..." Remember, we live in Maine, where public transportatin doesn't exist. Mom told him we were going to Seaworld and he told us we didn't need one. The bus ride took about a half hour since there were a bunch of stops. One of the stops had a Seaworld sign on the side of the roof thingy and someone sitting next to Mom told her it was the stop for Seaworld, so we thought that was our stop. In case you were wondering, it wasn't. We got off and were trying to figure out where to go, a man waiting at the bus stop told us that we should have gotten off at the next stop but it would only take us a few minutes to walk there. So, we started walking. The bus driver honked at us and motioned for us to come back, so we got back on the bus. Good thing he did, because the next stop was a lot further than that guy made it seem. We got to the right stop and the bus driver explained where to go to get the bus back. He was very nice and very patient with our lack of knowledge about public transportation.

We had to walk across the very large parking lot to get to the entrance, and waited in line to exchange our print out voucher things for actual tickets. Then went over to the actaul gates. The lady in front of us had a ticket that expired the day before and she started freaking out at the ticket-scanner when he told her she couldn't use it. We were all like seriously, it isn't his fault that you have an expired ticket. I just don't understand some people. It was about 10:30 by the time we finally got into the park.

We grabbed a map and show schedule and tried to figure out the game plan for the day so we could get to all the shows we wanted to see. That's the one thing I hate about Seaworld, the way they schedule the shows means you have to carefully plan out your day in order to get to everything. For example, one show might start 5 minutes before another one ends and they are on opposite side of the parks. This would be fine if there were a bunch of show times, but each show only happens about 3 times a day, which makes sense with the animals. I just think they could schedule them a lot better. Ok, rant over now.

We figured out that the Shamu show, One Ocean, was starting in about 40 minutes, so we decided to head over there. Dad and I studied the map to figure out the best route while Mom took a bathroom break.

On the way over to Shamu Stadium, we spotted the dolphin nursery, so we stopped to watch some baby dolphins.

We took our time walking over, since we had plenty of time. They still had their Christmas decorations up.

We made it over to Shamu Stadium but the doors weren't open yet.

There was a line forming to get in, so I jumped in it while Dad got coffee and Mom got an Icee. Dad finished making his coffee and joined me in line just as they started letting people in. The line was moving really fast and we couldn't get Mom's attention, so we got out of line to wait for her since we knew she would never be able to find us. It ended up being fine because the line disappeared almost immediately since it was just people waiting for the doors to open. Mom got her mango Icee, which was very tasty and I ended up eating half of it.

We went in and got seats. We were in the upper section (out of the splash zone) and towards the middle. We ended up finding spots on a bench between an isle and a concrete barrier, so the bench was the perfect size to fit just us and we didn't have to squish next to anyone. And it was only a few rows back from the beginning of the section. Perfect seats.

We had to wait about 20 minutes for the show to start, but it wasn't that bad. We just used that time to look at the map and try to figure out where to eat lunch.

They splashed the crowd several times. I thought it was hilarious to watch all of the people running out of the splash zone every single time it happened. They had plenty of warning that they would get very wet if they sat in the bottom section. There were signs everywhere and they made several announcements before the show started.

The show was wonderful. The whales are such incredable creatures and I love watching them. You never knew what was going to happen, so all of a sudden you would just see a whale jumping out of nowhere. If you go to Seaworld, this is a must see.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #33
Wishes2you
Mouseketeer

Looking forward to more as I sit here and watch the snow fall. Enjoying all the photos you took. I like the warm thoughts of our trip your TR is reminding me of. Maybe I will have to go up and and work on my trip scrap book while the storm keeps us in. If you are getting this storm at school be safe. My DD Felicia's school is in an area where they may get 30" from this storm. She is on duty tonight and dreading it.

Jan. 2013 - CBR
Nov. 2006 - CBR
Old 02-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #34
PippiDancer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishes2you View Post
Looking forward to more as I sit here and watch the snow fall. Enjoying all the photos you took. I like the warm thoughts of our trip your TR is reminding me of. Maybe I will have to go up and and work on my trip scrap book while the storm keeps us in. If you are getting this storm at school be safe. My DD Felicia's school is in an area where they may get 30" from this storm. She is on duty tonight and dreading it.
I'm doing the same thing today, just watching the snow fall. I had a snow day today, so I didn't have to venture too far into the storm. I'm actually on duty tonight too, fingers crossed that nothing too crazy happens.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #35
PippiDancer
Mouseketeer

As soon as One Ocean ended, we headed half way across the park to Clyde & Seamore Take Pirate Island becuase that was starting soon. I think a lot of people had the same idea because we followed a crowd the entire way there. We ended up getting some pretty decent seats.

Even though the show didn't start for another 20 minutes, a pirate mime came out a few minutes after we sat down.

He was hilarious. He kept making fun of all of the people coming in and most of them had no idea he was doing it. I think he was better than the actaul show.

The show was ok. It was kind of cheesy, which it was supposed to be. It was obvious that they kept messing up or the sealions weren't always doing what they were supposed to. But they did make fun of themselves when that happened, so it made it kind of funny. I think I would have enjoyed it more if we didn't watch it directly after One Ocean. I was getting antsy and was ready to go do other things in the park.

It was about 2:00 when the show ended, so we went in search of food. We all had vouchers for a free meal that came with our tickets. We ended up going to the Spice Mill because the description sounded good. It is cafteria style, so you go through the line and they hand you what you want as you go. Dad got a turkey club with fries and Mom and I both got cheeseburgers (aka pre-made frozen hamburg patties on a bun) with fries. They ran out of burger patties, so we had to wait while they brought another tub of them out. I'm not kidding, it was litterally a tub of burger patties sitting in burger grease-juice. While we were waiting, the person behind the counter spotted my "I'm celebrating" button (it was on my park bag and I hadn't taken it off) and asked what it was for. I told her I was graduating college and she said congratulations and asked if I wanted her to announce it to everyone. I said I would pass and she said "why? It is such a big deal!" We finally got our burgers and continued down the line and got our drinks (aka flat soda). The food wasn't that bad for fast food burgers but it didn't compare to Disney food.

After we ate, we went to the Shark Encounter. We looked the feed tanks outside first. There were some people next to us that were feeding them.

These birds were around the entrance.

The Shark Encounter is basically a giant tunnel that you walk through (well, more like ride a moving sidewalk through) and you can watch sharks swimming over you.

It was pretty cool to watch them swim all around you. There are also some other aqauriums to look at once you got through the tunnel.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #36
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Glad you made it to Sea World, I love it! I completely agree with you about that pirate mime before the one show, he is hilarious and almost certainly better than the actual show! And I remember when we ate there, I forget what place we were at, but the food was pretty bad at Sea World. That was definitely the one big disappointment.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #37
Wishes2you
Mouseketeer

Well I have finally made it back to see more of your TR. Love seeing all your photos. I love photos and take lots myself. The path with the tanks looked great. Love when you can see all the fish from different angles. I would have enjoyed the mime too. We saw a human statue in Downtown Disney that was just amazing. I could have stayed there all night photographing him. I also got lucky in Animal Kingdom and got to Photograph DeVine. Glad to hear you fared well through the storm. We were without power for 28 hours and I have friends that still don't have it. We got about a foot of heavy snow w/ hurricane force winds. We will be cleaning out for awhile.

Jan. 2013 - CBR
Nov. 2006 - CBR
Old 02-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #38
PippiDancer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygeek View Post
Glad you made it to Sea World, I love it! I completely agree with you about that pirate mime before the one show, he is hilarious and almost certainly better than the actual show! And I remember when we ate there, I forget what place we were at, but the food was pretty bad at Sea World. That was definitely the one big disappointment.
We love Seaworld! We went on our last Disney trip and it was a must do for this trip as well.

Quote:
Well I have finally made it back to see more of your TR. Love seeing all your photos. I love photos and take lots myself. The path with the tanks looked great. Love when you can see all the fish from different angles. I would have enjoyed the mime too. We saw a human statue in Downtown Disney that was just amazing. I could have stayed there all night photographing him. I also got lucky in Animal Kingdom and got to Photograph DeVine. Glad to hear you fared well through the storm. We were without power for 28 hours and I have friends that still don't have it. We got about a foot of heavy snow w/ hurricane force winds. We will be cleaning out for awhile.
I'm glad you're enjoying it and it's good to know I'm not over doing it with photos, I took so many and it is very difficult to decide which ones to leave out. I would have loved to see DeVine, I'm very jealous! We actually didn't get that much snow here. They got a lot more at home than I did at school, which is surprising since I'm in the mountains. The worst part about the snow was the wind, it was a complete white out walking outside, you could barely see anything because of all the snow blowing everywhere.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:17 PM   #39
Wishes2you
Mouseketeer

Okay let me start off by saying there are never too many photos. lol You are talking to the person who took 1500 photo on my trip and now trying to choose my absolute favorites because my scrapbook can only be so big. I love to take photos. My camera goes with me everyday. As far as the Blizzard storm I can't believe the damage because we had hurricane force winds and heavy snow. Even now a week and a half later I am still surprised at the extent of the damage here. I have forgotten where do you go to school.

Jan. 2013 - CBR
Nov. 2006 - CBR
Old 02-25-2013, 06:34 AM   #40
PippiDancer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Okay let me start off by saying there are never too many photos. lol You are talking to the person who took 1500 photo on my trip and now trying to choose my absolute favorites because my scrapbook can only be so big. I love to take photos. My camera goes with me everyday. As far as the Blizzard storm I can't believe the damage because we had hurricane force winds and heavy snow. Even now a week and a half later I am still surprised at the extent of the damage here. I have forgotten where do you go to school.
I agree that you can never have too many photos. I actually wish I had taken more on our trip. I go to school in Maine, only about an hour away from where we live.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #41
Wishes2you
Mouseketeer

I came home and going through all my photos thought I wish I got this I wish I got that. I know the feeling. Oh that is good you are close to home. My DD is in RI at school but it is only about an hour away from home also.

Jan. 2013 - CBR
Nov. 2006 - CBR
Old 02-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #42
PippiDancer
Mouseketeer

After the Shark Encounter, we wondered around the park for a little while. There are some very gorgeous spots.

We passed a very sad looking Journey to Atlantis, which was closed for refurbishment that week. For those of you who don't know, it is a log flume/water coaster ride. We were super disappointed when we found out it was closed, it is one of our favorite rides. Dad and I rode it at least 5 times back to back on our last trip since there weren't any lines. Dad was more upset about this being closed than Splash Mountain.

Dad and I decided to go on Kraken (and by that I mean that I decided to and Dad reluctantly agreed). We both chickened out on our last trip, so it was a must for me this trip.

This was the first upside-down rollarcoaster that either of us had been on (besides Rockin Rollarcoaster, but that is a different kind of upside down). Kraken is a floorless rollarcoaster, so I knew I had to take my flip flops off, but I didn't know where to put them and buckled myself in before figuring it out. I ended up asking the guy checking our harness things and he took them for me and put them on the floor of the exit side. Apparently Dad didn't realize it was floorless and got super nervous when the floor moved out from under us.

This is a screencap from a video Mom took, we are in the 3rd row.
My head kept bouncing back and forth against the sides of my harness. I kept trying to put my head back, but it was really hard to keep it in that position, so I had a headache by the time the ride was over. If it wasn't for the head bouncing, I would have really liked the ride. Dad didn't like it at all.

Our ride photo.

For some reason Mom really likes to take pictures of us as we are coming off of rides that she didn't go on. So, this is the post-Kraken photo.

After we conquered Kraken, we went to get seats for Blue Horizons, which is the dolphin show, since it was about a half hour before the show started. We got pretty good seats in the 4th row, which was right behind the splash zone.

She was almost directly over us at one point

The show was very cute, it was about a little girl's dream. The dolphins were out at the beginning and end of the show, but there were also trapeze artists, aerial artists, divers, and live birds flying around. I think I like this show a little better than the Shamu show because it has a storyline and there is a lot of different aspects to it. If you go to Seaworld, you should definitely see this show.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #43
PippiDancer
Mouseketeer

After Blue Horizons was over, we went over to the manatee area.

There were sea turtles there too.

We wanted to go into the manatee building but could not find the entrance anywhere. The only door we could find was exit only and there was no other way to go around the building becuase it was fenced off. I don't know what we were missing, but we gave up looking.

Next, we went to the underground dolphin viewing area and watched some dolphins.

Then went up to the Dolphin Cove. This was one of the things I was excited about because the last time we were there I got to pet dolphins for quite a while, and I probably could have stayed there all day. But I was really disappointed because they had the feeding area closed off and the trainers had just fed the dolphins, so they weren't swimming anywhere near the sides. So I didn't get to pet any dolphins

As we were watching them, a dolphin swam by us really fast and all of a sudden I saw a wall of water and then I was soaked! I wasn't expecting it and didn't even see it coming, so I was very surprised. And I don't mean that I got splashed and was a little wet, my entire body was SOAKED!!

It was actually worse than it looks in the picture.

After trying to dry myself with paper towels (with little success) we went over to the Manta Aquarium and pet some manta rays. They were really smooth and rubbery, it was kind of a weird (but cool) feeling.

We walked around a little more and saw some flamingos.

The park was pretty much empty because it less than an hour before closing and there was a Shamu show going on, so everyone in the park was there. We wanted to go on the Sky Tower, but the wait was too long earlier in the afternoon, so we decided to try again before we left. We ended up walking right on without any waiting.

For those who don't know, on the Sky Tower you sit in front of a wall of windows as the round platform thingy slowly spins around up to the top of the tower and back down again. You get an amazing 360 veiw of the park and the surrounding area. We went on during the perfect time because there was such a beautiful sunset.

If you look really closely, you can see the Characters in Flight balloon from Downtown Disney.

This is the Kraken

We could actually see the Shamu show from the tower.

Then it was time to leave. The park closed at 6 and I wish we had a little more time to do things. We made the rather long walk across the parking lot to get to the bus stop. We were moving kind of slow because my knee was starting to hurt again and I didn't want to make it worse. So I don't have to keep bringing up my knee, I'll just tell you now that it bothered me the rest of the week, but it was fine as long as I kept myself dosed on ibeprofen and slathered biofreeze on it every morning.
We finally made it to the end of the parking lot and crossed 4 lanes of traffic to reach the bus stop. And by bus stop I mean a bench on the side of the road with a little tiny sign that said Lynx on it. It was getting dark so it was kind of sketchy. We waited about 10-15 minutes for the bus to get there and then a 20 minutes ride. We got off at the TTC, took the monorail to Magic Kingdom, and then grabbed a bus back to Port Orleans.

Our original plan was to go to Downtown Disney and get something to eat there, but we decided to just stay at the resort for the night. Mom and I looked around the gift shop while Dad ran to the room to grab our mugs and we met up at the River Mill. We all decided to get make your own pasta again. Mom and I got shrimp alfrado and Dad got chicken alfrado. And we all got cheesecake with strawberries for dessert. The pasta wasn't even close to as good as it was the first time. The sauce was kind of watery and they put way too much pepper in it, but the garlic bread was much better this time. The cheesecake was very delicious.

After we ate, we went back to the room, put our swim suits on, and headed over to the quiet pool. It was very nice and relaxing, we were the only ones around for a while. Although the water was a good temperature, the air was kind of cool once we got out. After our swim we went back to the room, I took a quick shower, and we watched Duffy's bedtime stories on tv for a little while before going to bed.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #44
PippiDancer
Mouseketeer

The next morning we got up around 7, Mom got up a little earlier and went to River Mill to get coffee for her and Dad and used snack credits to get some everything bagels and cream cheese for all of us. The bagels were ok, but kind of dry. After eating breakfast in our room, we finished getting ready and headed to the bus stop. We didn't have to wait very long for a bus and soon we were on our way to Animal Kingdom for extra magic hours!

The Christmas tree was still up.

We weren't planning on getting there right at opening, but we were ahead of schedule and ended up hearing the opening music as we were going through the turnstiles.

We knew exaclty where we wanted to go first, so after quickly checking the map we started our journey to Africa for an early morning safari!

There were a lot of people going the same way and we figured that a lot of people had the same idea as us. But Kilamajro Safari was basically a walk on.

We had a really good safari trip, a lot of animals were still sleeping, but we saw a lot of active animals very close to our vehicle too.

There was a large group of giraffes migrating across the grassland and were pretty much folowing the road.

Giraffe crossing!

They were so close to us!

Old 03-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #45
PippiDancer
Mouseketeer

After our safari, we decided to walk through the Pangani Trail.

We were looking at these fish for a little while and just as we were about to walk away someone next to us pointed out the hippos. I had no idea they were there!

We stopped and watched the gorillas for a little while, the baby one was very cute.

The Tree of Life looked so pretty with the sun back lighting it.

We walked through Africa and went over to Asia. We decided to skip Flights of Wonder because I'm terrified of birds, but went through the Maharaja Jungle Trek.

We went through the bat room very quickly because I hate bats and encounter them enough in the residence hall I live in. Good thing the bats that live in my hall aren't as big as these, I don't think I would ever leave my room!

After our trek through the jungle, we stopped to watch the monkeys up in the trees for a little while. They were making so much noise.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: