Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
CatDenver
Mouseketeer

Target Disney Cards

Sorry if this has been asked before but the search function is down. What's the scoop with Target and Disney cards? I just saw a post where someone was going to run to Target to get Disney gift cards to make the final payment. How does that work? Many thanks!

Moi DH Michael (13) Catie (10)

Disney HalloWonder Bahamian Cruise - Oct 26, 2013
Pre-trip Report The Yours Mine and Ours Mystery Tour
Trip Report We Are Family (I've got all my children with me) HalloWonder Trip Report
CatDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
Munkamamacallie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDenver View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before but the search function is down. What's the scoop with Target and Disney cards? I just saw a post where someone was going to run to Target to get Disney gift cards to make the final payment. How does that work? Many thanks!
If you have a Target red card you can get 5% off of your purchase. We have also used an additional 5% off coupon that we received from Target for filling 5 prescriptions there.
Munkamamacallie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
DillWaters
Mouseketeer

If you have a Red Card, you can buy them at a 5% discount and then apply them to your onboard account for expenses/tips or apply them to your PIF. You do that by calling DCL if you booked direct or your TA if you booked that way. You can also go to guest services onboard to have them applied. Be sure to keep the cards if there's any chance you won't use all the onboard credit because they return the extra back to the cards.
DillWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
Cackyschmackers
Cruise dreamin'

Sorry to be dense (and I don't have a Target Red card yet), but is the 5% a credit you receive on your next Target card statement? Or do you really just get a flat 5% off your purchases? I don't know why I've waited so long to get one. Thanks in advance!

Old 02-27-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cackyschmackers View Post
Sorry to be dense (and I don't have a Target Red card yet), but is the 5% a credit you receive on your next Target card statement? Or do you really just get a flat 5% off your purchases? I don't know why I've waited so long to get one. Thanks in advance!

When you use your Target red card (credit or debit) to purchase Disny gift cards, say $100 worth, you will only be charged $95 on your bill.

Be aware, some Target stores say they can't do this. I don't know if that's true, but, in my experience, we've been able to do it with no problem.

If you ask can you get the 5% off on gift card purchases, they will say "no". That's because you can't purchase Target GIFT cards with the discount. But the Disney gift cards are considered ENTERTAINMENT cards in the computer system (at least at my Target) and qualify as a regular purchase.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
Cackyschmackers
Cruise dreamin'

Ah!!! Thank you!! Love knowing all the savvy ins and outs!! Now I gotta go get that Red card!!

Old 02-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
MommyTo4Kids
Earning My Ears

Is the Red Card to sredit card? I try to stay farrrrrr away from credit cards and just pay cash for everything.. Also do the gift cards ever expire? TIA!
MommyTo4Kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyTo4Kids View Post
Is the Red Card to sredit card? I try to stay farrrrrr away from credit cards and just pay cash for everything.. Also do the gift cards ever expire? TIA!
There are both: Target Red CREDIT card and Target Red DEBIT card.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #9
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyTo4Kids View Post
I don't get to Target very often so the red card really isn't worth if for me, however, I buy my Disney gift cards at Kroger and get fuel points. I have been saving around 5% at the pump which I really appreciate.

AFAIK the gift cards do not expire.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:25 PM   #10
ImDMous
DIS Veteran

We just bought our first $50 GC for our cruise next year. I figure I'll buy one every month for 47.50 and next year when we cruise we'll have a $700 "credit" and will have saved $35. It's not much, but it's easier than coming up with $700 all at once. Just don't get behind me in line at Guest Services

DLR - passholders, as often as possible
WDW - 3 nights Swan May 2008; 7 nights POFQ Aug 2011
DCL - Wonder 4 night Bahamas May 2008, Fantasy 7 night Caribbean May 2012
Wonder Pixar 7 night California Coast Sept 2012, Wonder WBPC 15 night May 2014
ImDMous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #11
mom2jcg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImDMous
We just bought our first $50 GC for our cruise next year. I figure I'll buy one every month for 47.50 and next year when we cruise we'll have a $700 "credit" and will have saved $35. It's not much, but it's easier than coming up with $700 all at once. Just don't get behind me in line at Guest Services
You can call ahead and have them applied to your onboard account. I applied 8 to mine just the other day.
mom2jcg is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: