Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #16
Mom323
Founding member of FOG

Here is the latest post from the family member.

I want to thank everyone for their condolences on behalf of Seths family. And I appreciate everyone sparing my feelings as well. The family is not blaming anyone for this tragedy. An Autopsey is being done in NYC and the FBI is involved. So until they know exactly what happened, theres no sense in speculating. All i know is security called the parents, told them their son was drunk and they needed to come get him. They took him to the infirmary and the nurse said theres 2 things they could do. Either leave him there and be charged or take him to your room and watch him. Either way, he will wake up tomorrow with a hangover. They chose to take him to the room. He fell asleep, snoring,,,,then suddenly had trouble breathing, gasping for air. Parents called the emergency number and started CPR. His step-dad is a Saratoga firefighter. He continued for 30 minutes, exhausted, it took that long for emergency personell to show up. They started CPR as well and Seth never came back. It truely is a tragedy and now his parents are making funeral arrangments for a kid who had a great future.

To the kids who happened to Meet Seth, be happy that you met a truely good kid. He didnt suffer and was having the time of his life when he passed.

Thank You again everyone....it is appreciated!!

The thread has been removed from cruise critic

Last edited by Mom323; 02-28-2013 at 05:47 PM. Reason: thread removed
Mom323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #17
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Not necessarily. If you read the article above, if it turns out that it was alcohol poisoning, it has everything to do with cruising, and the atmosphere of booze, booze, booze frequently associated with it.

But I do think it could happen on any cruiseline. No one is totally immune to it.

Sayhello
I agree. The proliferation of alcohol makes it more likely to find people over indulging.
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #18
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Not necessarily. If you read the article above, if it turns out that it was alcohol poisoning, it has everything to do with cruising, and the atmosphere of booze, booze, booze frequently associated with it.

But I do think it could happen on any cruiseline. No one is totally immune to it.

Sayhello
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCOTatNight View Post
I agree. The proliferation of alcohol makes it more likely to find people over indulging.

That's a load of garbage. This kind of thing happens at home, in high schools and colleges all over the country. WAY more often than it does on ANY cruise line.........

And if you see the post above, a quote from a family member, then the parents share the blame. I'd read that they weren't in the same room with their son all night......they took responsibilty, rather than let the cruise line's medical center do it, and now they have to live with that decision.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #19
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
That's a load of garbage. This kind of thing happens at home, in high schools and colleges all over the country. WAY more often than it does on ANY cruise line.........

And if you see the post above, a quote from a family member, then the parents share the blame. I'd read that they weren't in the same room with their son all night......they took responsibilty, rather than let the cruise line's medical center do it, and now they have to live with that decision.
I thought you didn't want this to turn into a debate. You are all over these boards arguing with people when something bad happens on a Carnival ship. No one in this thread made any derogatory remarks except for you. So, please heed your own advice and steer this thread back on topic.
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #20
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That IS a shame. Very sad, no matter where it happens, or when.

But can I ask people to PLEASE not turn this into a "CRUISE LINE DEBATE"?

Please?

Teens and young adults make bad decisions all the time.....it has nothing to do with cruising.
Its not a line issue, it can happen anywhere afloat and ashore...........is just as sad.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #21
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Devastating for the family. My thoughts go out to them.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #22
manateesmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Agreed. This is not, and should not be, about demonizing one particular cruise line over another. But teens drink too much and get alcohol poisoning on land. IMO, it's the same parenting failure to supervise and educate kids on responsibility.

To some extent, there may be a "cruise" aspect that worsens this - I do agree with the alleged Royal Caribbean quote above that the cruise is not a babysitting service. I've seen lots of parents abdicate responsibility for their kids because "it's my vacation, too," and while I have no idea if that was what happened here, I think there's a greater risk of teens getting into trouble on cruise lines (any line) than at home because of that mentality that mom and dad deserve a break and someone else is responsible for the kids. There are lots of discussions about how much "freedom" tweens and teens get on ships, and lots of people whom I otherwise respect and admire make choices in this area that make me uncomfortable about the level of supervision. It's plain to me, though, that there are different choices made about supervision on cruise ships versus an ordinary night at home.

manateesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #23
mbrocker
Mouseketeer

Unhappy

What a shame. Children forget that alcohol is a poison. Getting drunk isn't the only consequence of overindulging. This happens anywhere that young people congregate and party. Homes, schools, cruise ships, hotels, etc.

My heart goes out to his poor family.
mbrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #24
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran

Praying for the family

Heather
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013.
DCL (Gold!): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska!), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, 4/2014 Fantasy & 9/2014 Dream (Mom and I) Next: 12/2014 Wonder & 6/2015 (Magic-Europe)
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #25
justmestace

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCOTatNight View Post
I thought you didn't want this to turn into a debate. You are all over these boards arguing with people when something bad happens on a Carnival ship. No one in this thread made any derogatory remarks except for you. So, please heed your own advice and steer this thread back on topic.

I didn't specify any particular cruise line. But you just did.
And with the comment of "booze, booze, booze", most of us know which cruise line the other person was talking about also. I made no derogatory comments.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #26
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

ITA that this could happen at home. Way back when -- kids use to break into their parents' liquor cabinets during parties starting in 5th grade. I would call to be picked up then. The drinking continued through school and today there is much more kids get into that they shouldn't. The parents probably would have handled this at home the same way they did on the ship. They would have taken the kid home and put him to bed to sleep it off. If he was in his own room at home, the brother wouldn't have been there to hear him struggling. He would have then been found when everyone else woke up. They may not have realized what could happen so thought he would be fine since he was "safe" in bed. It makes me wonder if anything would have been different if the parents had put him in their room. They would have been sleeping and been woken up by the same sounds the brother was, possibly with the same results. Perhaps there wasn't another bed for their son to sleep on in their room? No matter what, this is tragic.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #27
justmestace

Quote:
Originally Posted by manateesmom View Post
Agreed. This is not, and should not be, about demonizing one particular cruise line over another. But teens drink too much and get alcohol poisoning on land. IMO, it's the same parenting failure to supervise and educate kids on responsibility.

To some extent, there may be a "cruise" aspect that worsens this - I do agree with the alleged Royal Caribbean quote above that the cruise is not a babysitting service. I've seen lots of parents abdicate responsibility for their kids because "it's my vacation, too," and while I have no idea if that was what happened here, I think there's a greater risk of teens getting into trouble on cruise lines (any line) than at home because of that mentality that mom and dad deserve a break and someone else is responsible for the kids. There are lots of discussions about how much "freedom" tweens and teens get on ships, and lots of people whom I otherwise respect and admire make choices in this area that make me uncomfortable about the level of supervision. It's plain to me, though, that there are different choices made about supervision on cruise ships versus an ordinary night at home.

I don't know....as a parent of three....youngest age 19.....I think the same parents who are going to let their kids run free on a vacation are the same ones who aren't paying attention to what they do at home also.

We booked suites when we cruised with our kids because we specifically wanted to KNOW when they were or were not back in the room at night. We never let them have their own stateroom.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #28
justmestace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
ITA that this could happen at home. Way back when -- kids use to break into their parents' liquor cabinets during parties starting in 5th grade. I would call to be picked up then. The drinking continued through school and today there is much more kids get into that they shouldn't. The parents probably would have handled this at home the same way they did on the ship. They would have taken the kid home and put him to bed to sleep it off. If he was in his own room at home, the brother wouldn't have been there to hear him struggling. He would have then been found when everyone else woke up. They may not have realized what could happen so thought he would be fine since he was "safe" in bed. It makes me wonder if anything would have been different if the parents had put him in their room. They would have been sleeping and been woken up by the same sounds the brother was, possibly with the same results. Perhaps there wasn't another bed for their son to sleep on in their room? No matter what, this is tragic.

This is going to sound judgemental and I really don't mean it to be that way, but the parents didn't want to pay the medical center fee, so they took him back to the room. It sounds like the brother and the father got to the young man fairly quickly....even if he'd been in the room with the father (reportedly a paramedic or some such) I'm not sure if that would have been enough to save the boy. Hindsight is always 20/20, and I know those parents will be hating themselves forever, for making the decision they made. Bed or no bed, one of them could have/should have, slept on the floor with him. But who knew that would happen??
Just terribly sad all the way around.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #29
manateesmom
Mouseketeer

I guess here's a question - does a cruise ship infirmary have the ability to test blood alcohol levels? Knowing how bad it was may have influenced the decision to let the kid sleep it off in his room If it were apparent that he was dangerously intoxicated and not just drunk, maybe he would have stayed in the infirmary, or could they induce vomiting/pump his stomach? Just wondering. I have to imagine that badly intoxicated people, both teens and adults, are a fact of life at any vacation destination, certainly including cruise ships.

manateesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #30
justmestace

Quote:
Originally Posted by manateesmom View Post
I guess here's a question - does a cruise ship infirmary have the ability to test blood alcohol levels? Knowing how bad it was may have influenced the decision to let the kid sleep it off in his room If it were apparent that he was dangerously intoxicated and not just drunk, maybe he would have stayed in the infirmary, or could they induce vomiting/pump his stomach? Just wondering. I have to imagine that badly intoxicated people, both teens and adults, are a fact of life at any vacation destination, certainly including cruise ships.
I don't know for a fact that they do have the means to test blood alcohol, but I DO know that they have the ability to perform drug tests on the crew members....so I may be assuming too much, but my guess would be that yes, they could have done a blood alcohol.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: