Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #1951
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWLODGE View Post
We have always traveled coach on our previous AT trips. I decided to splurge this year on our return trip and get a family bedroom. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for the family bedroom? Are there any request I should make, like room location?
No, there really aren't that many requests you can make. All of the family bedrooms are located on the 1st floor, away from the bathrooms.

I guess you could ask to be closer/further to the lounge car if you wanted to but we never make a request.

As for suggestions:

pack a small outlet (we have a 3 outlet one we bring that is only about 7" long) b/c for some reason the outlet is only located in the center of the room and it's not enough for all of our electronics to charge (phones, ipads, leapsters, etc).

Don't bother bringing too many snacks or drinks along. In fact, we no longer bring any. There will be about 6-8 small bottles of water in your room. Snacks in the lounge car are raw veggies, cheeses, crackers, free wine (tip the steward though), fruit and snack mix. Bring $1 bills for tips. There are free beverages in the train cars (tea, hot chocolate, coffee, water, ice).

If you bring a suitcase, make sure it is a small, flat one. We use either duffel bags or my kids luggage and it fits under the bed when the bed is pulled out. Our airline-approved carryon does not fit. We bring a collapsible laundry hamper for our pillows, stuffed animals and blankets. Bring your own pillows and blankets to sleep better!

Enjoy your family room! We did both coach and bedroom and greatly prefer the bedroom ... but that doesn't mean we sleep soundly the whole way without waking up. We still do wake up in the night, esp when the train slows down, stops or really bumps. Esp if you are on the top bunk! However, it is much better IMHO to be laying down in the privacy of your own family.

In coach, I always felt like everyone can hear what you are saying, see what you are doing and felt like I was always on alert/on egg shells. We love the privacy that the bedroom offers ... less people overall in the lounge car and in the dining car ... sometimes we keep the door to our room open and sometimes we close it. You can only lock the door from inside so always keep valuables with you. but it's nice to be away from everyone.

It's nice for our family to stretch out in the room. There are two tables, one long sofa and one chair in the room...a small (tiny) closet and two big windows on each end. I was at first surprised by how small the rooms really are ... but the privacy of the room and ability to lay down are what you are paying for. There may be less space overall in the bedroom than coach bc you cannot recline in the family room. What you sit on is a sofa (or chair) that is attached to the wall. That's another reason we like to bring extra pillows to make it a bit more comfortable.

Also, bring tip money for your room steward since he/she prepares your room from sitting to bedroom and back again.

Oh, and last bit of advice when moving from coach to bedroom -- Save up your money!! You may not want to go back to Coach!!
Marshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #1952
WDWLODGE
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshay View Post
No, there really aren't that many requests you can make. All of the family bedrooms are located on the 1st floor, away from the bathrooms.

I guess you could ask to be closer/further to the lounge car if you wanted to but we never make a request.

As for suggestions:

pack a small outlet (we have a 3 outlet one we bring that is only about 7" long) b/c for some reason the outlet is only located in the center of the room and it's not enough for all of our electronics to charge (phones, ipads, leapsters, etc).

Don't bother bringing too many snacks or drinks along. In fact, we no longer bring any. There will be about 6-8 small bottles of water in your room. Snacks in the lounge car are raw veggies, cheeses, crackers, free wine (tip the steward though), fruit and snack mix. Bring $1 bills for tips. There are free beverages in the train cars (tea, hot chocolate, coffee, water, ice).

If you bring a suitcase, make sure it is a small, flat one. We use either duffel bags or my kids luggage and it fits under the bed when the bed is pulled out. Our airline-approved carryon does not fit. We bring a collapsible laundry hamper for our pillows, stuffed animals and blankets. Bring your own pillows and blankets to sleep better!

Enjoy your family room! We did both coach and bedroom and greatly prefer the bedroom ... but that doesn't mean we sleep soundly the whole way without waking up. We still do wake up in the night, esp when the train slows down, stops or really bumps. Esp if you are on the top bunk! However, it is much better IMHO to be laying down in the privacy of your own family.

In coach, I always felt like everyone can hear what you are saying, see what you are doing and felt like I was always on alert/on egg shells. We love the privacy that the bedroom offers ... less people overall in the lounge car and in the dining car ... sometimes we keep the door to our room open and sometimes we close it. You can only lock the door from inside so always keep valuables with you. but it's nice to be away from everyone.

It's nice for our family to stretch out in the room. There are two tables, one long sofa and one chair in the room...a small (tiny) closet and two big windows on each end. I was at first surprised by how small the rooms really are ... but the privacy of the room and ability to lay down are what you are paying for. There may be less space overall in the bedroom than coach bc you cannot recline in the family room. What you sit on is a sofa (or chair) that is attached to the wall. That's another reason we like to bring extra pillows to make it a bit more comfortable.

Also, bring tip money for your room steward since he/she prepares your room from sitting to bedroom and back again.

Oh, and last bit of advice when moving from coach to bedroom -- Save up your money!! You may not want to go back to Coach!!
Thanks Marsha for the great advice!!!
'80 Offsite + '99 Contemporary (Honeymoon) + '00 Carribbean Beach & Wilderness Lodge + '00 Disneyland + '01 Wilderness Lodge + '02 Coronado Springs + '03 Animal Kingdom Lodge + '04 PO Riverside & Wilderness Lodge + '05 PO French Quarter + '06 Pop Century & Disney Magic (May 6th Western) + '06 Polynesian + Nov/Dec '07 - Pop Century & Disney Magic(Dec 1st Western) + '08 Disneyland + Nov '09 PO French Quarter & Nov. 14th DCL Magic Double Dip + '10 Boardwalk + Oct '11 Wilderness Lodge + Oct '12 Caribbean Beach + Coming Nov '13 1st DVC (Kidani Village) & Nov Eastern Fantasy
WDWLODGE is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #1953
jlhill4444
Mouseketeer

I have gone through pretty much this entire thread. Thank you to everyone for all the information and pictures. I have us booked on the AT on June 18 with a return July 2. We are a family of five and have two roomettes because my youngest dd is under two and she will sleep with me. I have a question about her. Is Amtrak like the airline in that she has to have her birth certificate to prove she is under two? I really don't want to take it on that long of a trip if I can at all avoid it.

We are very excited for our first AT trip.

My family:

Me , DH , DS10 , DD9 and DD3
jlhill4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #1954
mykidslovesdisney
DIS Veteran

No birth certificate is needed. Enjoy your trip.
2000-CSR, 2002 All Star Sports
2005, 2006, Old Key West, 2007 OKW as DVC mbrs
2008 -OKW- thanks TS faye for extending our stay!!
2009- AKV 8/5-8/13, 2010- OKW 8/11-8/20
2011- AKV 8/2-8/12 2012-SSR 8/15-8/23
2013-POR-R 7/27-8/4 and AKV-Kidani 8/4-8/9
2014 AKV-Kidani 7/28-8/8
My Disney loving kids- Matt-24, Jordan 15, Sam 13, Belle 11 & William 7

Belle said "Quick mom stop the car, Get on that bus!!"
Mom " Why do we need to get on that bus?"
Belle "Because it is going to Disney World"
mykidslovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #1955
jlhill4444
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidslovesdisney View Post
No birth certificate is needed. Enjoy your trip.
Thank you!

My family:

Old 02-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #1956
lindap1
DIS Veteran

anyone know if sleeper cars and coach cars have their own individual lounge cars? Or does the whole train share one?
Old 02-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #1957
NJRRK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindap1
anyone know if sleeper cars and coach cars have their own individual lounge cars? Or does the whole train share one?
There are, at least, two lounge cars one for sleepers one for coach. I've been on the situation when there were two coach lounges and one sleeper lounge.

4/76 - offsite, 4/77 - CR, 4/78 - CR, 4/79 - FW Trailer, 5/80 - CR, 5/82 - Disney Inn, 12/82 - FW Trailer, 5/83 - DL California, 12/83 - CR, 9/84 - CR, 1/85 - CR, 3/88 - Disney Village suites (later Disney Institute, where SSR is now), 8/96 - DxL (POR), 8/07 - CR, 10/08 - CR Atrium
NJRRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #1958
lindap1
DIS Veteran

Thanks. When we went in 2011 we never got the chance to check out the lounge car...I think we were just too excited over riding a train to Florida.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #1959
jlhill4444
Mouseketeer

For anyone that has been in coach recently, are there outlets at each row? I have heard conflicting reports that there are only a few in each car and others have said each row has an outlet. Which is correct?

My family:

Old 02-24-2013, 07:52 PM   #1960
mykidslovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Yes each row has their own outlets on the auto train.
2000-CSR, 2002 All Star Sports
2005, 2006, Old Key West, 2007 OKW as DVC mbrs
2008 -OKW- thanks TS faye for extending our stay!!
2009- AKV 8/5-8/13, 2010- OKW 8/11-8/20
2011- AKV 8/2-8/12 2012-SSR 8/15-8/23
2013-POR-R 7/27-8/4 and AKV-Kidani 8/4-8/9
2014 AKV-Kidani 7/28-8/8
My Disney loving kids- Matt-24, Jordan 15, Sam 13, Belle 11 & William 7

Belle said "Quick mom stop the car, Get on that bus!!"
Mom " Why do we need to get on that bus?"
Belle "Because it is going to Disney World"
mykidslovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #1961
KSL
Mouseketeer

Question Family Bedrooms

Hi everyone,
I thought of another question: how dark does it get in the family bedrooms? Should I bring a small night light for my kiddos (and frankly, for myself!)? I was thinking if it gets really dark and being on the bunks, etc. it might be good if there is a little ambient light. Anyone who has been in one, what do you think?
(I know I'm overthinking this, but I love to plan! )

Aug '06 ASMovies (DH, me & DD1 trip) / June '07 POR (10th anniversary trip) / Aug '08 POP (DH, me & DD2 trip) / Aug '10 CBR (DH, me & DD3 trip) / Aug '11 Split Stay AKV/BLT (whole family, finally!) / Feb. '12 OKW / July '12 GCH (no kids!) / BWV/BLT split stay Aug '13 / YC May '14 (SWW!) / planning VGF/BLT split stay July-Aug '14

KSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #1962
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSL
Hi everyone,
I thought of another question: how dark does it get in the family bedrooms? Should I bring a small night light for my kiddos (and frankly, for myself!)? I was thinking if it gets really dark and being on the bunks, etc. it might be good if there is a little ambient light. Anyone who has been in one, what do you think?
(I know I'm overthinking this, but I love to plan! )
There are different light settings for the room lights, so no need to bring a night light. One of them is Dim. You can also leave the curtains part way open to allow more light in close to morning. Then there are also lights in the bunks for reading that can be left on, too.
Marshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #1963
KSL
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshay View Post
There are different light settings for the room lights, so no need to bring a night light. One of them is Dim. You can also leave the curtains part way open to allow more light in close to morning. Then there are also lights in the bunks for reading that can be left on, too.

Great, this is just what I wondered - thank you for the reply!

Aug '06 ASMovies (DH, me & DD1 trip) / June '07 POR (10th anniversary trip) / Aug '08 POP (DH, me & DD2 trip) / Aug '10 CBR (DH, me & DD3 trip) / Aug '11 Split Stay AKV/BLT (whole family, finally!) / Feb. '12 OKW / July '12 GCH (no kids!) / BWV/BLT split stay Aug '13 / YC May '14 (SWW!) / planning VGF/BLT split stay July-Aug '14

KSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #1964
lindap1
DIS Veteran

I had bought my daughter a small flashlight and she used it in the deluxe bedroom ,but yes, there are little lights that dim.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:41 AM   #1965
MaxsDad
DIS Veteran

We are taking the autotrain for the first time in October. I read through a lot of this thread and got some good advice in making my decision.

On the way down we have a family bedroom and on the way back we have the bedroom with the bathroom. It was cheap enough for the way back that I thought this way we could try both and see which one we liked. We thought we definitely couldn't do coach because our daughter will be 2.5. In fact she is the reason we aren't flying, she gets a ton of ear infections and we know she will get one either just before we leave or when we get down there like she did last year, fortunately we drove for that trip.

So now my in-laws want to come and ride the train with us. They are going to do coach on the way down and a room on the way back because of the cost. I think I know the answer but wanted to double check if the dining cars are separate or if they will be able to eat with us on the way down. Also I told my FIL to select lower level coach because my MIL has some mobility issues, I believe this means she won't have to go upstairs to use the restroom but will have to go up to eat correct? Would they serve her at her seat?

Thanks for all the great tips, we are hoping it is a good trip. Actually really just hoping my daughters sleeps, she doesn't sleep well when we travel, she loves her crib.
MaxsDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: