Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #226
arbolita
DIS Veteran

Whenever I see a tour group, I tend to turn and run the other way screaming, so I fortunately have avoided getting stuck in between two of them!

You know, I'm not sure I've ever really looked in to the Honey I've Shrunk the Kids or Boneyard playground areas. I keep intending to do that on one of our trips, just to see them, but hasn't actually happened yet.

Great Finding Nemo pictures!
June 1990 - Offsite * June 2008 - Offsite- Got Engaged! * September 2009 - CSR - Disneymoon * October 2010 - POP/POR * June 2011 - CBR * December 2011 - Offsite - Farewell to Jaws * February 2012 - One More Disney Day-Video Trip Report - ASMu * January 2013 - SSR Old, New & Long Lost Friends, w/ a Side of Frump! * August 2013 - Puns, a Fun Run and 1901 - Our first trip to Disneyland! * May 2014 - BLT/AKV * January 2015 - AKV * August 2015 - ? * October/November 2015 - Port Orleans

[B]August Trip Report: Puns, a Fun Run and 1901 - Our first trip to Disneyland!

Follow me on Twitter! @GertieTheDino89
Old 02-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #227
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbolita View Post
Whenever I see a tour group, I tend to turn and run the other way screaming, so I fortunately have avoided getting stuck in between two of them!

You know, I'm not sure I've ever really looked in to the Honey I've Shrunk the Kids or Boneyard playground areas. I keep intending to do that on one of our trips, just to see them, but hasn't actually happened yet.

Great Finding Nemo pictures!
I share the same sentiments about screaming and running away from tour groups.

Everyone Hail To the Pumpkin Song! October 2014: TR PTR
Don't Fear the Rain, We have the Ducky of Death! - Jan '14 Trip Report
Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Winter Escape to the Enchanted Forest - January 2013 Trip Report/PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #228
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Up where they stay all day in the sun

Disney Picture Post #7

This turned out to be my favorite among all the pictures I took in New Fantasyland.

IMG_6749 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

Old 02-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #229
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Had an interesting, fun, and eventful weekend. One of DW's cousins who lives in Northern VA got married on Saturday and we hosted DW's family at our house including my nephew and niece, ages 6 and 3. 4 kids running, laughing, yelling, and screaming all over the house. On Saturday morning, DS was pushing his cousin on his little Lightning Mcqueen car when he slipped, fell, and banged his lips against the a sharp edge of Mcqueen's trunk. DS was very upset over the amount of blood. There was a very small laceration right above his lip. DW and I took one look at it and knew that he would need at least one stitch. So while I took DD to her ballet class, DW took DS to the ED and got him fixed up with a dissolvable stitch. And when he got back home, he went right back to running and playing.

Later that day, as we were starting to get ready for the evening wedding, my brother in law realized that he forgot to pack his outfit for the wedding. With only one hour to go before we had to leave, I drove him to the mall. Within the hour he picked out an outfit and we raced back home. Then all went to the church and arrived with 15 minutes to spare!!

So as the bridal party was marching down the aisle to the typical classical music being played by a live brass qunitet, I was getting ready to settle into my seat expecting the usual processions. That's when the fanfare began to play for the bride's entrance and to my great delight I recognized the first few bars of the music to be......the fanfare/march music from the last scene of Star Wars (A New Hope) when Luke and Han marches down the throne room to receive their medals. All of the geeks and nerds in the crowd responded with quiet glee! I thought that was cool. All was missing at the end of the bride's entrance was a wookie howl.

Then we drove over to the reception slightly up north of DC in Chevy Chase. On my way over there, I nearly careened into another car in the next lane by accident. Can I just say that I HATE driving through the multitude of circles in DC? Even after driving in DC for 5 years I still have trouble navigating through some of these road traps. I have almost never successfully navigated through a circle correctly the first time. Inevitably, I always end up on the wrong lane that takes me to the wrong street. So normally, when I plan my routes on Google Maps I avoid any routes that take me through a single circle. Did I mention I hate circles? Unfortunately, I did not have time to plan this particular route ahead of time.

Anyway, once we arrived at the reception hall I was once again pleasantly surprised to see a Famous Dave's BBQ catering truck parked in the back! YES! This wedding just keeps getting better and better. And when we walked in, on the stage was a full swing band set up! A swing band!! Been to my share of weddings but THAT was a first. The live music was great. The kids had a blast dancing and running around. I found out later that the bride's father plays trumpet (started during his Army days) and is a member of a couple of local swing bands. The band members whom a lot of them knew each other from their Army days made a promise awhile back that they would play at all of their kids' weddings. So cool.

They even had one of those photo booths that seems to be the trend for wedding receptions these days where guests can pick out props, masks, or hats and take pictures to go in the guestbook.

Anyway, a good time was had by all!

Old 02-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #230
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

We were too unsure of the boneyard with DS last year at 2 years old, but I think he will really love it this year so I'm excited to give it a try. I just worry we won't be able to tear him away. The Nemo Musical pictures you got are just beautiful. The colors they use in that show are so vibrant!

Glad you had a fun weekend at the wedding, despite that mishap with DS's lip.
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014 | MARCH 2015 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove | OCTOBER 2015 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal | FEBRUARY 2016 // ??
Old 02-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #231
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

I love your pictures!

That was a nice morning at AK. You can never go wrong with Flame Tree. I love that place. It looks like the Boneyard was a fun break for the kids after lunch. We haven't spent any time there yet, but I'm sure we'll spend our fair share of time there in the future.

I'm glad that you had a good time at the wedding. I know my opinion of going to weddings usually isn't "that was fun."
Old 02-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #232
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
I love your pictures!

That was a nice morning at AK. You can never go wrong with Flame Tree. I love that place. It looks like the Boneyard was a fun break for the kids after lunch. We haven't spent any time there yet, but I'm sure we'll spend our fair share of time there in the future.

I'm glad that you had a good time at the wedding. I know my opinion of going to weddings usually isn't "that was fun."
Thanks!

I'm such a big fan of Flame Tree that I haven't had a chance to branch out and try some of the other places to eat in AK. Maybe I can talk myself into trying something new next time but I seriously doubt it.

And yes, I'm usually not very excited about weddings either which was one of the reason I opted not to bring my DSLR with me. Boy, did I end up regretting that decision as I watched the kids dancing in front of the swing band.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:44 PM   #233
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
We were too unsure of the boneyard with DS last year at 2 years old, but I think he will really love it this year so I'm excited to give it a try. I just worry we won't be able to tear him away. The Nemo Musical pictures you got are just beautiful. The colors they use in that show are so vibrant!

Glad you had a fun weekend at the wedding, despite that mishap with DS's lip.
I think your DS will love the Boneyard just based on seeing how excited he was to play in the generic playground at Bonnet Creek. If he's like our kids, you'll have to plan for at least an hour at the Boneyard. Even then, we have trouble getting our kids to leave.

The colors they use at both FotLK and Nemo are so beautifully done. I really enjoyed taking pictures at both shows this trip!

Old 02-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #234
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

For the Birds

Saturday, January 26th - 1:45pm

Once we exited the theater around 1:45pm,I thought this would be a good time for an ice cream break. Had to start using those snack credits on our dining plan! So we found a nice shaded bench along side the gift shop for the Dinosaur exit Ė I think itís called Chester and Hesterís Dinosaur Treasures. We took a break in this exact same spot last year for an ice cream break. Itís tucked in and away from the crowds and very well shaded. Plus, the restrooms are just around the corner. And as a bonus, if you needed to fill up your gas tank you have access to this.

IMG_5801 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

The kids and I got fruit bars, and DW and DFIL got their Mickey Bar fixes. We sat there for a good 20 minutes or so enjoying the breeze and the treats. DS wanted to go on the Triceratops Spin. DD wasnít too excited about it. She actually told me that the ride was for little kids. Sheís growing up I guess. But she was a good sport for her brother and the four of them went on while I watched from the bottom. DS told me he liked the ride afterwards but he thought it was too short. DD had been hoping to go on Primeval Whirl which is one of the rides she wanted to try last year but couldnít because of the 48 inch height requirement. Needless to say, she did not grow 4 inches in less than a year, so had to put it off again for the next trip. Still donít quite understand why that particular ride has such a tall height restriction but Iím going to guess that the ride is actually rougher than it looks.

Next, we walked over to EE to use our FPs. It was already 2:35pm, and I was planning on catching the 3pm Flights of Wonder Show to complete our trifecta of AK shows! We had never done all three shows in a single day. DFIL and myself went on first while the kids had fun watching the coaster drops from the viewing area to the side. DD briefly, and I mean very briefly, contemplated whether she wanted to try this one. One look at the drops and she was happy to just watch. Using our FPs we skipped ahead of the long lines to the front. I had been toying with the idea of attempting to capture some shots during the ride with my camera. But I couldnít remember the sequence on this ride very well and whether the speed was such that I could hold on to the camera. So I took the camera with me but only snapped a couple of pictures when the ride comes to a momentary stop before changing directions.

On our way up Everest

IMG_5815 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

I can't believe Disney won't fix this piece of track. I mean it's been like this for years! Just like the Yeti!

IMG_5821 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

I wasnít as dizzy as I had been last year after getting off of it. DFIL loved this one. He couldnít remember much from the last time he went on it so it was like riding it for the first time again! When we exited the ride, it was already 2:50pm. It didnít look like we had enough time to have DW and DFIL go even with the FPs. So I pulled some more FPs so that we could come back later and let DW have a shot at it. I sent off the gang to the show while I attempted to see if I could find two people who I could give my FPs away too. I didnít have much time and this was turning out to be a very difficult task. Most of the people entering the standby line were groups of 4. And then whenever I think I spot a couple approaching they would inevitably veer towards the FP lanes. I had to give up after 5 minutes because the show was about to begin. I briskly walked to theater and caught up with my family.

We walked into the Flights of Wonder stage just in time. The show began within a couple of minutes of us finding a side seat near the front. The low flybys that the birds do during the show are always fun and exciting for the kids.

IMG_5836 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

I found Tour Guide Joe to be funnier this time compared to last year. Not sure why since the script seemed to be about the same.

IMG_5825 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

One of the cranes went off-script during his fly by when he/she decided to fly over the back fence over the theater leaving the host and Joe to just hang and wait while improvising some jokes.

Here's the bird on it's way of escaping the theater.

IMG_5859 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

One of the trainers was able to walk the crane back to the starting point and go all over again.

Take number 2. Let's try again by bribing with some more food.

IMG_5860 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

3, 2, 1, Take off!

IMG_5862 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

This time the bird practically whizzed by our ears

IMG_5864 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

And thereís of course the Bald Eagle. As soon as it made its appearance, DS started telling me that he wanted to see it fly like other birds. To his disappointment, the eagle stayed put.

DDís hand shot up in the air when the host was looking for someone to hold a dollar bill for one of the birds to fetch but of course they were looking for an adult volunteer.

Off to fetch the dollar bill

IMG_5842 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

One of the kids in the audience got to throw a grape high in the air and watch a bird catch it with its beaks midair while flying. After the show was over, three trainers brought out some of the birds up close to the front edge of the stage where the kids can take a closer look. DD asked a question to the owl handler about the macaws that were sitting on the tree behind him and whether they could also imitate peopleís speech which the answer was that those birds usually donít do it as part of their natural behavior even if they are capable of doing so.

CM trying to hear DD's question

IMG_5874 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_5870 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Next up: The Parade

Old 02-27-2013, 08:49 AM   #235
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

A Shot in the Dark

IMG_5987 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

I got incredibly lucky with this one. Near the end of our AK day, all of the adults got one more chance to climb Everest. Having been on the ride once earlier in the day, I felt more confident and comfortable about having my camera out and taking pictures during the ride. So I set my shutter speed fast at continuous bursts and as always flash off. As we approached the final cave where the "frozen" Yeti resides, I brought up my camera. With the fast turns and drops, I couldn't bring the view finder to my eye level so I just aimed the camera in the general direction where I thought the Yeti ought to be. As soon as the strobe lights started going off, I held down the shutter button and the camera got off 8 shots as the train zoomed underneath the Yeti. 7 out of the 8 pictures turned out mostly black. But this last shot turned out to be completely in sync with the flashes from the strobe lights from the ride.

Last edited by DaveinFallsChurch; 02-27-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #236
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Mmmm, Mickey bars!!!

I don't get that height requirement for Primeval Whirl either. I thought it may have something to do with the type of restraint system they use, but I don't really know. I hate those kinds of coasters anyway and avoid that one when I can!

Glad the kiddos enjoyed Flights of Wonder. I am a little freaked out by birds, but it is one thing we have never done at AK, so I might have to get over my phobia and try it out one of these days.

That Yeti picture is absolutely incredible!!! What a lucky shot!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014 | MARCH 2015 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove | OCTOBER 2015 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal | FEBRUARY 2016 // ??
Old 02-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #237
BellaBaby
DIS Veteran

Love your Yeti shot! Really cool!

Enjoying your TR as well!!

Me and DH DD (13) DD (11) DS (9)

4/03 ASMO/CBR 4/05 HOJO'S DL 4/07 NICK HOTEL/WH 4-5/09 NICK HOTEL/WH 6/10 WH 5-6/11 HOJO'S DL 6/12 WH/AKV/POLY 5-6/13WH 5-6/14 HOJO'S DL 8/14 CSR
Old 02-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #238
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Good call on the ice cream break. The last thing you want to do is let those snack credits go to waste.

Congratulations on your AK show domination! You really packed it in that day!

That Yeti shot is awesome! That shot actually might be more intense than the actual "non-moving, strobe light lit, blink and you miss it" Yeti in the ride.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:37 PM   #239
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
Mmmm, Mickey bars!!!

I don't get that height requirement for Primeval Whirl either. I thought it may have something to do with the type of restraint system they use, but I don't really know. I hate those kinds of coasters anyway and avoid that one when I can!

Glad the kiddos enjoyed Flights of Wonder. I am a little freaked out by birds, but it is one thing we have never done at AK, so I might have to get over my phobia and try it out one of these days.

That Yeti picture is absolutely incredible!!! What a lucky shot!
A couple of the birds do a low fly by over the heads of the audience and depending on where you're seated, they could really whiz by you. I think if you park yourself in the rear side of the theater you should be okay. Also, the Tour Guide Joe character has a bird phobia as well but he manages to survive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBaby View Post
Love your Yeti shot! Really cool!

Enjoying your TR as well!!
Thank you! More updates are coming soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Good call on the ice cream break. The last thing you want to do is let those snack credits go to waste.

Congratulations on your AK show domination! You really packed it in that day!

That Yeti shot is awesome! That shot actually might be more intense than the actual "non-moving, strobe light lit, blink and you miss it" Yeti in the ride.
Completely agree with you that this Yeti shot gives the false impression of a menacing presence in the ride when half the time people miss it entirely. I think it took me 3 rides before I could locate it!

Old 02-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #240
StitchIsOurHero
I was smart enough to marry a DH who does the laundry!
Dun-DUN! Has 8 Matthew McConaugheys at work!
The Rock, in his little man-bikini, is quite pretty!

All caught up! As usual, reading your report makes me SO ready to go!! Love the AK updates--Flame Tree is my favorite quick service in all of WDW!

Love the story about the wedding, too! That music sounds wonderful!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: