Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #736
gokenin
DIS Veteran

Question

Just curious for the people that purchase a seat do you have access to showers and do you use them or do you wait till you get to disney and shower then? Just curious as I would be coming from Boston so it's basically a days travel time to get down to disney.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #737
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokenin
Just curious for the people that purchase a seat do you have access to showers and do you use them or do you wait till you get to disney and shower then? Just curious as I would be coming from Boston so it's basically a days travel time to get down to disney.
I've got to admit, when we take the train, showering is the least of our worries...

I believe on coach, there are no showers, others will correct me.... And as for sleepers, I've seen the shower room at the end of the sleeper car, small open cubby with a curtain... Nothing I want to use,,,,,

We're on the train for a day and a half, not working in the coal mines so freshening up in the restroom will do us just fine..

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #738
NJRRK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe of ohio

I've got to admit, when we take the train, showering is the least of our worries...

I believe on coach, there are no showers, others will correct me.... And as for sleepers, I've seen the shower room at the end of the sleeper car, small open cubby with a curtain... Nothing I want to use,,,,,

We're on the train for a day and a half, not working in the coal mines so freshening up in the restroom will do us just fine..
Actually the shower on the bottom level of the sleeping car is in it's own room. What you're defining is the shower in the accessible room at the opposite end of the lower level from the family bedroom. And there is a door there too you probably just missed it. BTW Amtrak provides towels and soap, no shampoo or conditioner or body lotion ...

4/76 - offsite, 4/77 - CR, 4/78 - CR, 4/79 - FW Trailer, 5/80 - CR, 5/82 - Disney Inn, 12/82 - FW Trailer, 5/83 - DL California, 12/83 - CR, 9/84 - CR, 1/85 - CR, 3/88 - Disney Village suites (later Disney Institute, where SSR is now), 8/96 - DxL (POR), 8/07 - CR, 10/08 - CR Atrium
NJRRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #739
lisa-upnorth
Disney Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRRK View Post
A regular bedroom, yes. But the family bedrooms are just on "Superliner" trains. They don't operate into NY, DC or Boston.

Yes that train stops in Newark.
guess I just have the bedroom then, so hope to see my fellow Diser on the train
Old 02-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #740
lisa-upnorth
Disney Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokenin View Post
worry not! I travel from a lot farther north than Boston and I never even think about the shower. Time flies,I sleep,wake up and am in Orlando
I get to the hotel and then shower or swim.I would not think the shower on the train would be that great-others may disagree.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #741
js
Good things come to those who wait
Joyful Mommy, WISHer, cruiser
Wants to see Tinkerbell fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa-upnorth View Post
I do believe we will be on the same train
what a small world here on the dis! we are in a family bedroom! I will try to email you the week before and get your name so I can say hi!
Oh Lisa, I'm on March 21, you look like you typed May 21. It would have been nice to say hi!
Let me know!
js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #742
js
Good things come to those who wait
Joyful Mommy, WISHer, cruiser
Wants to see Tinkerbell fly!

Meals and tipping:

I am in a roomette on March 21 and meeting my family at Disney
Can anyone please let me know if there are vegitarian options or fish/chicken options? I am not a big meat eater and would prefer if I am eating food on a train that it is jut veggies and not meat. Do I need to request this beforehand or will there just be options.

Also, I know we talked about it before...tipping.
Do you do when you get on or after and what is the norm? $20?

Thanks SO much!
js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #743
labfan
Mouseketeer

There are vegetarians options. My daughter and I are going the end of May and she is a vegetarian. You can go on the Amtrak sight to see a copy of their menu. Not sure if it's standard or not but the dining car menu shows Vegetarian Entree Salad or a Veggie Burger at Lunch. At dinner there's a Vegetarian Pasta.
There are also steak and chicken dishes.
labfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #744
lisa-upnorth
Disney Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by labfan View Post
There are vegetarians options. My daughter and I are going the end of May and she is a vegetarian. You can go on the Amtrak sight to see a copy of their menu. Not sure if it's standard or not but the dining car menu shows Vegetarian Entree Salad or a Veggie Burger at Lunch. At dinner there's a Vegetarian Pasta.
There are also steak and chicken dishes.
both of us Upper NYers will be traveling in late May
Can't wait to get south!!!!
Old 04-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #745
lisa-upnorth
Disney Lover

Take the Auto Train® on your family vacation this summer and you'll skip the traffic and arrive at great savings. Kids ages 2 – 15 ride for just $29 when you book now through May 23, 2013, for travel May 28 – August 28, 2013.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #746
sraiford
Mouseketeer

I just booked the auto train for our July trip. Kids fares were not available for our dates. Probably sold out already. I did get a deal on the roomettes. We will be in 2 of those on the way down and in the seats for the back home trip to Lorton, VA. Then about a 5 hour drive home to PA!
Old 04-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #747
GetGlowing
DIS Veteran

We just booked another trip down for mid-may We thought about getting a sleeper, but nixed the idea this time. But it was $199 to add on the way down and $149 to add on the way back up (was $149 down when I first started shopping, grr).

But were able to use the 42 promotion on Coach and got a good deal:

Buy one ticket, get one 42% off. You have to purchase by Sunday and travel by May 22.

http://www.amtrak.com/companion-fare...ge&WT.mc_r=365

Save 42% on a companion rail ticket aboard most Amtrak routes when you purchase a regular full adult ticket March 4 - April 14, 2013. It's our way of honoring the greatness of #42, Jackie Robinson, and the upcoming Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures film 42.

Just purchase your tickets March 4 - April 14, 2013 for travel April 11 - May 22.

Maybe someone else can take advantage of the discount!

Last edited by GetGlowing; 04-13-2013 at 02:22 PM.
GetGlowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:21 AM   #748
RustManFan
devoted to all things Disney!!

DISboards Moderator

We took the train once but the trip was SO long that it was a one time only thing....now the auto train is something else. We have taken it LOTS of times! (my sister won't fly and she often has gone with me)

Offsite - 1987 - 1st Trip - Wilson World
CBR - 1989, 1995
FW (tent) - 1992 during Hurricane Andrew, 1997
Dixie Landings/POR - 1994, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2005, 2009
Wilderness Lodge - 1996
DL - 2013 - Good Neighbor hotel

http://s387.photobucket.com/albums/o...isney%20Stuff/
*** and eternal Rusty Wallace fan ! He is the RustMan ! ***
RustManFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #749
labfan
Mouseketeer

I was wondering how much an appropriate tip would be for the Redcaps if we use them in NY Penn Station. Also do you tip the car attendant on the train and if so, how much? We will be in a bedroom from Penn Station to Orlando. I know each person may tip differently but it's been awhile since I've traveled so I want to get an approximate amount.
labfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #750
Elky
Earning My Ears

We book round trip travel for august a couples weeks ago and paid for an oversize vehicule, but when i look at the auto train booking there's no more oversize category all type of vehicules are at the same price...

Do you know if we can get a credit for the extra paid?

Last edited by Elky; 04-15-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Elky is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: