Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #16
dragitoff
DIS Veteran

The Albany Marathon (formerly Snickers Marathon) in Albany, GA March 2nd has a 7 hour sweep (I'm pretty sure about this time).
dragitoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #17
Pungodingy
Never had a nickname so the Tag Fairy hereby dubs you 'Tater!

Around the Lake in Wakefield Ma has 24 hrs (it's a combo event)

Sometimes you’ll be Sleepy, Bashful, and maybe even Grumpy,
but I hope you are always Happy at the end of the day!

Half Fanatic #465

2006 AKL ~ 2007 CBR ~ 2008 POR ~ 2008 CBR ~ 2009 WL ~ 2009 CBR ~ 2010 AKL ~2011 POFQ ~2011 Disneyland~2013 CBR~2014 ASMo~
Pungodingy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2013, 04:17 PM   #18
liesel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
Oh my. I think I found my first marathon! I'm not as worried about the time limit as I am about getting majorly bored--- so thinking Hawaii would help me NOT be bored. Like at all. Hows the humidity in Dec? I'm in Texas, I don't scare easily...
Yes, it is hot and humid, but if you are from Texas, you can handle it! Since the finish is near the ocean, we saw many people just walk right into the water after the race. A few WISHers have run this, including Kim if you want a first hand account. I am saving my pennies for this someday. I am going back and forth between doing Honolulu or WDW as my first (maybe) marathon.

DLR: many times as a local 1984-1995, June 2009, December 2009, June 2010, October 2010 (day trip), October 2011, January 2012 Tinker Bell Half Marathon, July/August 2012, August/September 2012, January 2013 Tinker Bell Half Marathon, March 2013, Dumbo Double Dare August/September 2013, Tinker Bell Half Marathon January 2014

WDW: 1980, September 2008, February 2014 Princess Half Marathon-first coast to coast

Upcoming DLR trips: August 2014 Dumbo Double Dare 2: Liesel Strikes Back and first 10K with my DS, November 2014 Avengers Half Marathon (because I have a problem saying no to inaugural events), January 2015 Star Wars Half Marathon (see Avengers), May 2015 Tinker Bell Half Marathon and birthday trip

liesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:19 PM   #19
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by liesel

Yes, it is hot and humid, but if you are from Texas, you can handle it! Since the finish is near the ocean, we saw many people just walk right into the water after the race. A few WISHers have run this, including Kim if you want a first hand account. I am saving my pennies for this someday. I am going back and forth between doing Honolulu or WDW as my first (maybe) marathon.
That's exactly what I'm thinking. One or the other. Hmmmmm

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
longhorns2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:16 PM   #20
TnTsParty
DIS Veteran

ING Miami Marathon in the end of January has a 7 hour limit. The amount of people entered in both the full and half (which are run togther) is as big or bigger than Disney.

http://www.ingmiamimarathon.com/
Disney Races ~ TOT 13k 2007~1:36:12 ~ Minnie 15k 2008~1:49:39 ~ EEC w/DH ~ Disney 26.2 Marathon 2009~5:44:28 ~ Princess 1/2 Marathon ~2:32:15 ~ 2010 Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge~1/2 Marathon 2:54:27~Full Marathon 6:02:48 ~ 2011 Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge #2 ~1/2 Marathon 2:44:18~Full Marathon 5:46:54

Missing my BEST Brother in Law ~ Erik 04/30/1971~04/30/2009 ~ you're in our thoughts EVERYDAY
TnTsParty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #21
Stitch_lover_Sith
So I want to weigh in on this discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by liesel

I have run this race, it was hot this past year and not very humid. No rain yay.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #22
RunRookie
DIS Veteran

The Little Rock Marathon has an early start option which gives you 8 hours to complete their race. The only caveat is that your 'cannot' finish the race faster than 6 hours if you select the Early Start Option.

Little Rock is the race with the largest Finishers Medal! This year's race (which I am running) sports a medal that weighs 2.12 lbs and is about 8 inches in diameter!
Half Fanatic #1852 and Marathon Maniac #6743
My Blog: My Journey to Healthy Living

2014: Los Angeles Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Carmel Marathon | Illinois Mini I-Challenge 5K & 10K | Wisconsin Marathon | Ragnar Relay Chicago 197M | RnR Chicago 5K | RnR Chicago Half Marathon | Crystal Lake Half Marathon
2013: WDW Family 5K | WDW Goofy Challenge | Surf City Marathon | Little Rock Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Cherry Blossom 10M | Flying Pig 3-Way Challenge (5K/10K/Half) | Soldier Field 10M | Chicago RnR Half | Biggest Loser 15K | Howl at the Moon Ultra 50K | Dumbo Double Dare (10K/Half) | Crystal Lake Half | Heritage Haul Half | Fox Valley Half | Marine Corps Marathon | Strides for Hunger 5K | Space Coast Half

Disney Trips: Disneyland 1972-1978, Disney World 2000/2007/2012/2013, Disney Cruises 2003/2005, Disneyland 2008/2013
RunRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:26 AM   #23
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

More marathons should probably have 7 hour sweep times to encourage people to sign up,two weeks after running the Disney full and seeing 28,000 runners do the Disney half and 26,000 do the Disney full I went to see some friends do the Miami half marathon which is run at the same time as the full marathon,both on Sunday morning.I was amazed at how it seemed that 75%-80% of the runners were doing the half,I looked it up online and about 14,000-15,000 finished the half and only like 3,700 finished the full,I was shocked after seeing the lack of runners doing the full.One thing I noticed is that the Miami half marathon sweep time was 3:30 while the full marathon was 6 hours,I wonder how many more would have signed up for the full if the sweep time was 7 hours.That lack of runners is also the reason I only signed up for the Miami half marathon instead of the full,along with that I'll be running the Disney full 3 weeks before in January 2014.Having a good amount of people on the road with you also adds to the event,at least for me,I also noticed the only difference in medals between the Miami 1/2 and full was a different colored ribbon.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #24
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM1001 View Post
I was amazed at how it seemed that 75%-80% of the runners were doing the half,I looked it up online and about 14,000-15,000 finished the half and only like 3,700 finished the full,I was shocked after seeing the lack of runners doing the full.
Most races that offer both a half and a full at the same time will have many more people running the half than the full, assuming they don't do something annoying like Houston and limit the entries for the half. It's a much more popular and accessible distance for most people. As my wife was fond of saying, she feels like she's done something but isn't wiped out for the rest of the day.

John
FFigawi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:15 PM   #25
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran

This is an interesting thread. I did the Goofy challenge this year which also happened to be my very first full. I knew that Disney was forgiving for slow pokes such as myself.

I am signed up for MANY half marathons this year but no full as yet. I , like the op , am looking for something slow friendly.

I know there are queries as to why a race doesn't extend its hours from 6 to 8 and I think it probably has to do with money. It cost money have officers out there directing traffic and closing roads. Volunteers, you need many many more to cover the walkers. It would have to be financially beneficial for them. I know Disney can afford to do it...well...with their rates...but anyway.

I am sure I will find a slow friendly full marathon that doesn't require me to travel to kingdom come to do it...however the Honolulu one sounds nice but I am going there next week to do the Happalua..and I think one trip a year is enough.
goofeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #26
RunRookie
DIS Veteran

Something I have heard in various podcasts about Half vs Full marathons, is that many races will have a Half Marathon because (as John said) it is a more accessible race distance, which means a lot more people will sign up for it. The income from the 15,000 half marathoners goes a LONG way to paying the expenses of putting on both races, especially when you only have a third of the Half number running the Full.

This is not to say that those Half marathon races are any less organized or fun. I am just saying that Half marathons can be a way to help fund the costs of putting on Full Marathon, which leveraging the same pool of volunteers and infrastructure to keep overall costs low.
Half Fanatic #1852 and Marathon Maniac #6743
My Blog: My Journey to Healthy Living

2014: Los Angeles Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Carmel Marathon | Illinois Mini I-Challenge 5K & 10K | Wisconsin Marathon | Ragnar Relay Chicago 197M | RnR Chicago 5K | RnR Chicago Half Marathon | Crystal Lake Half Marathon
2013: WDW Family 5K | WDW Goofy Challenge | Surf City Marathon | Little Rock Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Cherry Blossom 10M | Flying Pig 3-Way Challenge (5K/10K/Half) | Soldier Field 10M | Chicago RnR Half | Biggest Loser 15K | Howl at the Moon Ultra 50K | Dumbo Double Dare (10K/Half) | Crystal Lake Half | Heritage Haul Half | Fox Valley Half | Marine Corps Marathon | Strides for Hunger 5K | Space Coast Half

Disney Trips: Disneyland 1972-1978, Disney World 2000/2007/2012/2013, Disney Cruises 2003/2005, Disneyland 2008/2013
RunRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:09 PM   #27
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran

I just signed up for the Newport Rhode Island Full marathon.
I did the half last year and what a beautiful run that race is! So scenic. If you enjoy the ocean and passing by magnificent mansions and quaint streets than this is the race.
I went to their results page and see a lot slow pokes had ran the full last year. I am not saying this is a race for slower paced people, but gee, if you are going that slow why not have the scenery to go with it?

Anyway, I think I am sticking to doing mostly halfs. Do the Newport full and go for the Goofy challenge again in 2014. I now have to wait for registration to open!
goofeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: