Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 03:57 PM   #31
mdsd8700
It's kind of fun to do the impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal1313 View Post
Took the tour on Sunday and it was FANTASTIC! I highly recommend. I don't want to give anything away, but I felt I got my money worth. I learned new things and heard new stories. And the icing on the cake was going into Wallt's apartment! Very surreal and I was in awe. So fun!!
Thanks for the letting us know how it was. Hope you didn't pass out It seems everyone has positive feedback after the tour, which is what I would hope. I just can't wait to go into Walt's apartment.

What did you think of the food? Just curious.

Thanks again for the update and so glad you loved it!!

All Who Come To This Happy Place Welcome,
mdsd8700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #32
crystal1313
DIS Veteran

I didn't pass out, but I totally teared up! And I had to keep saying to myself that I was actually in his apartment. It was overwhelming and wonderful and humbling and the most fantastic thing I've done at the parks, even better then Club 33 (for me at least, because Walt had actually been there, lived there and dreamed there). And you could tell the hostesses for the apartment felt the same way. It was sacred to them and I that's how I felt too.

As far as food, my husband and I both tried the chicken salad sandwich, which was supper yummy! I loved it! We opted for fruit, but had an option for chips as well. We both got sugar cookies too, which were huge, we only ate a little bit of them and saved the rest for later. They split you into two groups to go into the apartment, so when the first group is inside, the second group is eating and vice versa. I was glad we were the first group because I am a slow eater and would have felt rushed otherwise.

The tour guide and other cast members were very attentive while we were eating and they cleared the tables for us and made sure everything was what we wanted. =)

Our guide was fantastic too! He was personable and you could tell he really enjoyed his job. His name was Mike and he was very tall, so it was easy to see him while walking around. I really enjoyed everything and I think any person who LOVES Walt Disney will love this tour!

And I still pinch myself and cannot believe I was in Walt's apartment. Amazing
crystal1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2013, 05:12 PM   #33
sherilaine
DIS Veteran

Does anyone know if there is a minimum age for taking the tour - our kids are 9 and 10, would they be able to sign up?

Also, how much does this cost - is it less than $100 per person?

I will either have some good news or some bad news tomorrow and if it's good news then I'd love to be able to book something like this for our trip and celebrate with this tour.

It really does sound special.
March 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3247388

sherilaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:14 PM   #34
Mackie Mouse
Even my dog loves Disney

So thrilled to read PP's reaction to the tour! I just booked this on Monday for a tour on March 25. Cannot wait - it is going to be the highlight of my trip, I am positive!

For those wondering, the tour is $109/pp. However, you can receive a AAA or Disney Visa discount for the tour, which saves you 20%. That came to $87.20 for us.

For those who have taken it, how easy is it to find the meeting place for the tour?

One of the four in our group doesn't know we have booked this (it will be an anniversary present from his wife), so we are looking for a fun way to surprise him. So far we are thinking that his wife will "lose" some important item (her cell phone, or a credit card, or her ticket, or something) and we will concoct a story that involves her retrieving it wherever we have to pick up the tickets, at which point we will reveal the tour by saying that her "lost" item is in Walt's apartment and we'll have to go there to get it
Old 02-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #35
crystal1313
DIS Veteran

If you're standing looking at City Hall, you check in at the little gazebo like booth to the left of city hall. It says guided tours on it. They will ask you when you check in what food you would like for lunch.

As far as children, I'm not sure. I'd call and see. On our tour it was all adults. But your kids are on the older side, so it may be fine =) It's about 3 hours long and lots of walking and standing. My price was $87.20 as well for being an AP holder. That includes lunch, a dessert and a drink.
crystal1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #36
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherilaine View Post
Does anyone know if there is a minimum age for taking the tour - our kids are 9 and 10, would they be able to sign up?
I am curious about this too. According to the information on the DIS, they said it is not recommend for smaller children. My kids will be 9 and 12 at the time of our trip. I know they would enjoy this as much as DH and I will because they both love the history of Walt Disney (they watch a lot of the different history movies about him).

PoohsFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #37
mdsd8700

Quote:
I didn't pass out, but I totally teared up! And I had to keep saying to myself that I was actually in his apartment. It was overwhelming and wonderful and humbling and the most fantastic thing I've done at the parks, even better then Club 33 (for me at least, because Walt had actually been there, lived there and dreamed there). And you could tell the hostesses for the apartment felt the same way. It was sacred to them and I that's how I felt too.

I really enjoyed everything and I think any person who LOVES Walt Disney will love this tour!

I got goose bumps reading your post and then read it out loud to my husband. There is nothing I am looking forward to more than this tour and being in Walt's apartment. I simply adore Walt Disney and even though we have been to WDW many more times than DLR, I love Disneyland the most because it is Walt's Park.

Thanks so very much for sharing your experience!

Last edited by mdsd8700; 02-26-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #38
mommy2mrb
Mama to a Princess - But I'm a Scrap Princess
But you wouldn't need the clothes if you had the hot man

Quote:

As far as food, my husband and I both tried the chicken salad sandwich, which was supper yummy! I loved it! We opted for fruit, but had an option for chips as well. We both got sugar cookies too, which were huge, we only ate a little bit of them and saved the rest for later. They split you into two groups to go into the apartment, so when the first group is inside, the second group is eating and vice versa. I was glad we were the first group because I am a slow eater and would have felt rushed otherwise.

The tour guide and other cast members were very attentive while we were eating and they cleared the tables for us and made sure everything was what we wanted. =)

Our guide was fantastic too! He was personable and you could tell he really enjoyed his job. His name was Mike and he was very tall, so it was easy to see him while walking around. I really enjoyed everything and I think any person who LOVES Walt Disney will love this tour!

thanks for sharing! we can't wait to go on this...know I will be tearing up too, yes I'm a proud Disney Sap!!!

mommy2mrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #39
mdsd8700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie Mouse View Post
So thrilled to read PP's reaction to the tour! I just booked this on Monday for a tour on March 25. Cannot wait - it is going to be the highlight of my trip, I am positive!

One of the four in our group doesn't know we have booked this (it will be an anniversary present from his wife), so we are looking for a fun way to surprise him. So far we are thinking that his wife will "lose" some important item (her cell phone, or a credit card, or her ticket, or something) and we will concoct a story that involves her retrieving it wherever we have to pick up the tickets, at which point we will reveal the tour by saying that her "lost" item is in Walt's apartment and we'll have to go there to get it
My original question in the post wondering about anyone having difficulty booking the tour since it is only once a day and limited to 15 people. It sounds like you didn't have any problems at all. Did you call as soon as the reservation office opened?

Absolutely love the idea of surprising your friend's wife. What a great idea. Please let us know how it turns out!!

Old 02-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #40
mdsd8700

Quote:
On our tour it was all adults.
How many people were on the tour? Was it full?

Thanks so much for sharing Crystal1313 you have been an invaluable source for this tour with both your review and emotional experience. Your posts are much appreciated.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:06 PM   #41
DLRfan31
A Pirate's Life for Me!

I was never much interested in a guided tour, but have definitely changed my mind after reading this thread. Thanks for all the wonderful information. "Walk in Walt's Footsteps" is one the top of the list for our next vacation.

Question: There is a strong possibility my 80 year old Mom will be with us. She uses an ECV in the park because she cannot walk real long at a time. She can walk, though. Will she be able to use the ECV and will the steps to Walt's Apartment be difficult for her? My husband and I can help her with the stairs (practically carry her... : ) I know she would love to see the apartment and it would mean an awful lot to her.

BTW the lamp pin and the WIWF pin are AWESOME!

Last edited by DLRfan31; 02-26-2013 at 09:23 PM.
DLRfan31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #42
mysteriouspnai
DIS Veteran

Thanks for your TR, it's really nice to relive the tour DBF and I did the tour this past December and our tour consisted of 17 adults and no children. In fact we were the youngest on our tour, being college age students. I would say there was no one on our tour that was younger than 40 or so.

In regards to lunch, we were the second group to go up to the apartment, so we weren't able to finish our food before going up. However, we were allowed to leave our food on the table (the platters are covered) and we could finish our food after the apt tour. The CMs told us to take our time, and not to rush as we finished eating.

We didn't have any difficulty booking our tour the day before, but YMMV. Hope this helps!

DLRfan, we weren't given the lamp pin at the end of the tour, so I don't know if they still do this. Unfortunately, I don't have anything to contribute about the ECV, but the stairs are pretty steep. We did receive the WIWF pin though!
mysteriouspnai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:19 PM   #43
jory29
DIS Veteran

Location: Sadly, too, too far away from DL. :( We still try to get there annually though. ;)

It is 30 days ahead one can book, or 60? Thanks for all of the comments, this looks like a wonderful tour to try to book.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #44
mdsd8700

Quote:
Originally Posted by jory29 View Post
It is 30 days ahead one can book, or 60? Thanks for all of the comments, this looks like a wonderful tour to try to book.
30 Days.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:10 AM   #45
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

Loved your report on the tour. This is by far my favorite tour at Disneyland. (I did a blog on it here on the DIS).

I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. Thank you for sharing your experience.
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: