Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Nikon D600 Dust Issue Acknowledged

Nikon has issue a press release acknowledging they have an issue with the D600 and dust accumulating on the sensor. They have not issued a "fix" yet. HPS3 (Harry) had a problem with his.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/02...isory-for-D600
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

WOW!!! I'm not crazy! That's not the only problem I had. I also had the camera lock up when reviewing photos on the lcd. I would have to hit the shutter or turn it off to unfreeze the camera. Picture quality was great but quality control was the main problem.

The camera has been out for months and they finally admit there is a problem. Thats like the focus problems with the D800. I ended up selling the D600 and buying a Pentax K-5II. I don't miss the D600 at all.
HPS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
WDWFigment
Owner of Disney Tourist Blog

I'm not surprised the release is so evasive and tardy, but I am surprised that they don't acknowledge having a fix.

When I sent in my D600, the invoice very clearly indicated that parts were replaced in the camera, and I no longer have the issue.

I hope they didn't just replace random parts that will eventually cause a new set of issues!

Follow me: Twitter - Instagram - Facebook - Pinterest
WDWFigment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWFigment View Post
I'm not surprised the release is so evasive and tardy, but I am surprised that they don't acknowledge having a fix.

When I sent in my D600, the invoice very clearly indicated that parts were replaced in the camera, and I no longer have the issue.

I hope they didn't just replace random parts that will eventually cause a new set of issues!
That surprises me. Based on your repair, the natural assumption is they know the fix. Why would they not issue a statement/recall and actively seek to repair the cameras. The 600 was marketed as a consumer priced full-frame. Why would they risk the consumer backlash? I don't like the fact that there appears, and I could be wrong, to not be a big concern for their customers. When Pentax had the K5 sensor staining issue (and I believe there was a similar problem with D7000), in a short period of time, they issued a statement accepting responsibility promising to repair the cameras. This allayed the fears of many in the Pentax community. With Pentax' smaller customer base, they can't afford to lose customers. Maybe Nikon is just too big a company. Customer indifference well eventually catch up with them. They make a great product, so I hope they are not resting on their laurels.
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
TC09
Hidden Mickey?

Quote:

How long did it take and did you have to pay shipping? Can you give us an update after you've taken a few hundred shots?
TC09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

I like how they admit the problem but still say to clean the sensor regularly.
HPS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
WDWFigment
Owner of Disney Tourist Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianna'sPapa View Post
That surprises me. Based on your repair, the natural assumption is they know the fix. Why would they not issue a statement/recall and actively seek to repair the cameras. The 600 was marketed as a consumer priced full-frame. Why would they risk the consumer backlash? I don't like the fact that there appears, and I could be wrong, to not be a big concern for their customers. When Pentax had the K5 sensor staining issue (and I believe there was a similar problem with D7000), in a short period of time, they issued a statement accepting responsibility promising to repair the cameras. This allayed the fears of many in the Pentax community. With Pentax' smaller customer base, they can't afford to lose customers. Maybe Nikon is just too big a company. Customer indifference well eventually catch up with them. They make a great product, so I hope they are not resting on their laurels.
They might be resting on their laurels when it comes to customer service, but not when it comes to the tech inside the camera. The D600 IQ, dynamic range, and color depth absolutely blow me away. Even though I'm pissed off about the whole situation, I haven't once thought about switching from Nikon. For the money, I don't think any other camera system can touch the combination of a full frame Nikon plus the 14-24mm f/2.8 for landscape photography. (Not to make this a 'brand war,' as I think Canon and other manufacturers definitely have their own strengths.)

More than anything else, I think this is probably a matter of Nikon having realized there was a problem and wanting to proceed with caution to cover itself from what could be a very costly recall unless it absolutely had to happen. That doesn't make what they did right or defensible, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC09 View Post
How long did it take and did you have to pay shipping? Can you give us an update after you've taken a few hundred shots?
It took me about 2-3 weeks to get the camera back. They paid for shipping after I called and requested it (explaining that it was their fault I had to send it in--not my fault). After that call, I had to follow up twice via phone to get the shipping label, which was annoying.

I've taken a couple thousand photos since, and haven't had any issues. The spots have not returned.

Follow me: Twitter - Instagram - Facebook - Pinterest
WDWFigment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #8
TC09
Hidden Mickey?

Quote:
It took me about 2-3 weeks to get the camera back. They paid for shipping after I called and requested it (explaining that it was their fault I had to send it in--not my fault). After that call, I had to follow up twice via phone to get the shipping label, which was annoying.

I've taken a couple thousand photos since, and haven't had any issues. The spots have not returned.
Good to hear that the spots haven't returned. Thanks for the update! Gonna give Nikon a call sometime this week.
TC09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: