Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 05:36 AM   #16
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

I want to do this soooo vas but so does my kiddo who will be 3 months shy of 8 so he can't go. I don't feel right going without him so no parasail for us . Maybe that just gives me an excuse to go the next year lol

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 02-26-2013, 06:52 AM   #17
CT Mom of 3
Mouseketeer

We parasailed at the Outer Banks a couple years ago and have tried to book it on CC the past 2 trips but it was sold out. I was so happy to be able to book it in April - we're really looking forward to it. I believe it is $79.

CT Mom of 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2013, 07:10 AM   #18
Purplejewel
Purplejewel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV Disney Fan(atic) View Post
I tried parasailing for the first time with my daughter at CC 2 years ago. I'm pretty scared of heights but my daughter wanted to try it and I figured it was probably going to be safer with Disney than with anyone else. It was fabulous! I felt completely safe the whole time and the views were incredible. We enjoyed it so much we tried to do it again last year but it was cancelled due to windy weather; while we were disappointed we were glad to see they were concerned about safety first. Going to try again in a few weeks and can't wait! Definitely recommend it.
My DH and I did parasailing on the 2/8/13 Eastern Caribbean Cruise on the Fantasy and I can tell you it is not scary, actually quite relaxing once you are up in the air. However, it was a overcast day at Cataway Cay and it started raining 30 minutes before we were suppose to get on the boat for the parasailing. I thought they would cancel the excursion but they didn't and we did not want to be out $79.00 each so we went anyway. There were 4 other groups with us that apparently also decided they didn't want to lose that kind of money. By the time we were far enough out to do the parasailing it was pouring rain. With the speed of the boat added in, it felt like having a sea salt scrub and acupunture at the same time - very unpleasant. When it was our time to go up, it was raining so heavy that we could not see a thing once we were up in the air. If it had not been raining, it would have been nice but the rain spoiled the entire experience. I would still do it again, but if it is raining the next time, I will just lose the money and not do it in the rain. I really think they should have canceled the excursion and given everyone their money back since the weather was so horrible. I know you always take a risk regarding weather when you book an excursion but most excursions will be canceled for bad weather. Anyway, as long as it is nice weather, I would recommend that you do the parasailing.

10 cruises (3-Wonder; 3-Magic; 1-Dream; 3-Fantasy)
Purplejewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #19
shrinkingmoody
Earning My Ears

Has anyone gone as a single rider? How is that? DH will be on shore with DS(3) who probably won't stay in the kids area - and he wouldn't go up if he could anyway - so it'll be just me

shrinkingmoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #20
jdkdorn
Disneyholic and SSR/BCV DVC Member

We just went last Friday in my daughter and her boyfriend and I we're each solo riders. It was so much fun it is so quiet up in the air you feel like you're floating and we can see a ton of stingrays below us in the water.

One of my favorite excursions on every cruise

Enjoy yourself and relax
Dolphin-Feb 1997, WL-Jan 2000, AKL-Sept 2002, CSR-Jan 2003., BCV-Aug 2003, GC-Jan 2004, BCV-Oct 2004, SSR-DEC 2004, SSR-Jan 2005, BWV-May 2005, BCV-Oct 2005, DCL-Feb 2006, BWV-June 2006, DCL-Oct 2007, BCV -Oct 2007, BCV-Oct 2008, VWL-June 2009, BCV-Oct 2010, BCV-Dec 2010, BLT-May 2011, BCV-Sept 2011, DL-Apr 2012, DCL/F-Mar 2013, BLT-Mar 2014, AKV-K-Jan 2015

jdkdorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #21
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLDisney_Freak View Post
DD and I signed up for parasailing at our stop in Castaway Cay. How safe is it? If you have done it would you do it again? Experiences?
completely safe...my 9YO DD and i did it last August...the guy was telling us how at places such at the Atlantis and other places in the bahamas many of the parasailing companies that run the trips don't always use the safest equipment or strongest ropes...he said there are always stories of ropes snapping and people being blown away by the wind...

he said if that ever happened at CC, Disney would fire them in a second, which is why they always keep their equipment up to snuff...i don't like heights but had a ball...
Old 04-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #22
rroberts
The family that vacations together, stays together

Is there a weight limit? I'm 6'8" and about 290 (all muscle of course).
rroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #23
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rroberts View Post
Is there a weight limit? I'm 6'8" and about 290 (all muscle of course).
i think the combined wt limit was around 450lbs...
Old 04-05-2013, 12:38 AM   #24
SleepyDeb
Mouseketeer

DH and I did parasailing in January and it was THE highlight of the trip. We had never done it before. Very calm and quiet. We were both nervous before. DH is afraid of heights and I'm uncomfortable with stuff I've never done before. But it was just terrific.
SleepyDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #25
mgpan
Mouseketeer

How long are you out on the water?

Would love to surprise my wife with this at CC, she's always wanted to try it. However, when i ask her, she doesn't want to spend more than an hour out on the water away from our son, when she could be playing with him. Since only riders and no spectators (son is too young) can go on the boat, how long are you separated from those on the beach? I'd heard it was several people riding, you left the dock all on the boat, and didn't return until everyone had flown?
Old 04-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #26
tink,too
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgpan View Post
How long are you separated from those on the beach? I'd heard it was several people riding, you left the dock all on the boat, and didn't return until everyone had flown?
There will be others with you in the speedboat - I think our last trip we had 8 to 10 people.

Both times we've been, we were out on the water for about an hour and a half.
tink,too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:23 AM   #27
dceks cruisers
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplejewel View Post
My DH and I did parasailing on the 2/8/13 Eastern Caribbean Cruise on the Fantasy and I can tell you it is not scary, actually quite relaxing once you are up in the air. However, it was a overcast day at Cataway Cay and it started raining 30 minutes before we were suppose to get on the boat for the parasailing. I thought they would cancel the excursion but they didn't and we did not want to be out $79.00 each so we went anyway. There were 4 other groups with us that apparently also decided they didn't want to lose that kind of money. By the time we were far enough out to do the parasailing it was pouring rain. With the speed of the boat added in, it felt like having a sea salt scrub and acupunture at the same time - very unpleasant. When it was our time to go up, it was raining so heavy that we could not see a thing once we were up in the air. If it had not been raining, it would have been nice but the rain spoiled the entire experience. I would still do it again, but if it is raining the next time, I will just lose the money and not do it in the rain. I really think they should have canceled the excursion and given everyone their money back since the weather was so horrible. I know you always take a risk regarding weather when you book an excursion but most excursions will be canceled for bad weather. Anyway, as long as it is nice weather, I would recommend that you do the parasailing.
We parasailed on 2/8/13 Eastern cruise as well in the afternoon and it was overcast. I'm sorry your experience was not the best it could be! By the time DD (12) and I went up it was misting/light rain. Despite the conditions we had a great time but clear sunny weather would have been the ideal. We were dipped 3x and had a wonderful, long ride. This was our second time to parasail at CC and it was pretty windy.

Just curious, did you parasail in the morning? We were snorkeling during the AM rain and when it rained there was a downspout. Not sure where that was in proximity to the parasailing. It would be scary to see a downspout nearby while parasailing!
Old 04-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #28
AnnaS

The puppy has now left the building and I am exhausted
Will you be rolling?
I can't wait to try them all

I am going to check the website because I want to do this also. Did you feel you had enough time to spend at cc? or should I say - did it take too much time away from your day at cc?

Upcoming/planned trips:
May - HH
Oct. 2015 - F&W/BCV

DCL '01 Eastern, '03 Western, '05 West Coast Cruise ºoº '07 11 N. Med. Cruise, '13 Western
WDW - CBR, POR, POP, OKW, BWV, BCV, AKV, VWL, HH & VB, SSR,
AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #29
disnygirl55
Meeska Mooseka Mouseketeer

We actually had a bit of a scary experience in 2011 during a parasailing excursion at Castaway Cay. My DH and DS (aged 9) were up in the air, and the boat we were on (below) hit a large piece of rope, which killed the motor. Apparently, Castaway Cay sits near a shipping lane, and sometimes "garbage" from the cargo ships passing is just left to drift along....So their parasail dropped them down lightly into the ocean. It was very slow and gentle, and they didn't even know what was going on at first, because the boat operators like to bring people down to splash their feet and legs before lifting them back in the air again. However, they started to "reel" them in right away in the water, and my husband was struggling to get my son un-latched from the equipment, since he was in front and the water was in his face. Once he got him unlatched, he turned him around into his chest, and all was fine as they were reeled the rest of the way in. So pay attention to that safety briefing - it was very important to know how to unlatch yourself and your child, if this ever happens. Other than that one experience, we've parasailed several times, and it's WONDERFUL. We will definitely go again some day soon. The tour company transferred everyone to a new boat, when they couldn't immediately resolve the issue with the motor and DS and DH got to go up again, which was fabulous - two trips for the price of one, with a little excitement thrown in to boot! And DS had a great story about his emergency at sea and his calm response and bravery to tell his classmates and Cub Scout Troop.

disnygirl55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: