Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #151
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran
 
Rileygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 770

Well, that does tarnish the shine a bit. Not so attractive when supervising several teenagers.

But your epcot f&w sounds wonderful! Ok, Sorry, I am off topic. Back to the regularily scheduled topic of fp+ .......
__________________
Rileygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:25 PM   #152
golf4miami
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 395

I was listening to the Unofficial Guide's podcast with Jim Hill from July 27th, 2012 and they were talking about FP+. To be honest, it sold me a bit more on the technology although I'm still a little skeptical. However, the one thing that really caught my attention was that Jim said from first testing to full implementation it was probably going to take Disney somewhere around 5 years to get everything worked out and acting properly.

So maybe, FP+ isn't coming as soon as we all think it is? Also, I don't know how I feel about it going to take that long. I hope this means that they are going to take their time and do it in sections so they can be more methodical and get it all (mostly) right the first time. Thoughts?

Also, something was mentioned about the different level of the resorts getting different level of service through MM+ based on where you stay with Contemporary and Bay Lake Tower being the highest end of service.

The title of the Podcast was Episode 15: Jim Hill's Magic Kingdom Stories if you're interested. I found it on iTunes.
__________________
golf4miami is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-25-2013, 05:43 AM   #153
m86
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bergen op Zoom, the Netherlands
Posts: 50

Regarding Stand-By lines, I often read at the priority of fastpass will be increased. Does Disney really want those in Stand-By to wait much longer than they do now?

I mean, three fastpass+ does not make up for increased waiting times for everything else.

Also, I think all these smartphones will sort of ruin the park atmoshere.
m86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:00 AM   #154
EagleScout
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 476

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook

If the educated user gets 5 FP+ a day, that would better than three. Except if there is a limit on headliners and hopping limitations, I am not sure it helps much outside the Magic Kingdom. If I go to Epcot early, and save my 5 FP+ for dhs later. What would use them on? Book TSMM and star tours. Then what? Great movie ride? Use one for Fantasmic! And get a reserved seat at Indy?

I definitely think getting a FP for TSMM for my time after being at Epcot is cool. But not being able to pull a tower of terror or a rock n roller coaster would overshadow that.

This is a tough sale for me. My kids love to ride the e tickets multiple times, this limitation is the biggest drawback. As you said earlier, RD is going to be more critical than ever.
Just a quick contrary view. While I recognize that MANY people like to maximize fp and e-ticket, there are others who want to guarantee at least one e-ticket for kids (particularly if not rope drop types), and also thoroughly enjoy some of the other shows, parades, etc that currently sometime require "waits" (ie, getting a spot) that can rival e-ticket standby at busy times. Now the devil may be in the details, and i may regret supporting even the concept of fp+, but for the past several trips, we have literally not been able to do Soarin or TSMM due to long fp return times, but if I knew when my fp was, I would simply plan my day to get there around that time. Our trips typically consist of one or both grandmas, my wife and I, our kids, and sometimes her sister and their family. My mom-who loves parades, and some MILD rides, and whose only experience with thrill rides is watching her kids/grandkids, was thrilled when I described concept for upcoming trip. The demands of having toddlers and elderly on trip typically limit us regarding marquis long wait attractions anyway, so this may be a welcome change for us personally. This may change when all of our kids are a bit older and want to do sm or tt or tot or rnrc 5 times.
EagleScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #155
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran
 
Rileygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 770

Golf4miami: I think FP+ will be coming online as soon as Disney can do it, they want the magic bands out there. Not for the rides, but for food and merchandise. (if you read all of this thread, I think we discuss why magic band is so great for sales, maybe on page 4 or 5 or so.) Therefore I think there will be a big push to get it out there after Easter.

But: It will take years to get this thing fully operational (I can hear the star wars music sounding in my head when I say that outloud - Darth Vader strutting around saying - we must complete the DeathStar! I want it fully operational for the Emporer when he arrives!) The first wave of technology in its most basic form (I think) should be coming out fairly soon. JMHO

M86: I think it is going to be a fine line that Disney treads regarding standby and fast pass lines. On one hand, they are going to want to maximize the FP line so its an absolute treat for the guest to use, and make the standby line annoying enough to make us WANT, NEED, DESIRE, COVET the FP. KWIM? How annoying and how great each will be? I am not sure how far Disney will take it. I am anticipating that we will have to all make adjustments from our previous ways of touring. Whether there is a 'net gain' for our own particular touring style, or a 'net loss", each person really has to figure that out I guess.

EagleScout: Excellent Point: its a reminder to us that everything is relative to the way we tour- and to a big extent, who is in our tour party. And, there are going to be advantages out there for 'us' users, we just have to figure out how to fully utilize them. And its awesome when pepople say how they think they can make the system work for their circumstances, or how it will be a bummer for other peoples circumstances, because then we as a group can maybe figure out how to maximize the benifits, and minimize the issues when this thing goes live. I hope more people comment on potential pluses or potential problems with they way they tour. Its helpful for everyone! TY!
__________________
Rileygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:21 PM   #156
bcrook
DIS Veteran

 
bcrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf4miami View Post
I was listening to the Unofficial Guide's podcast with Jim Hill from July 27th, 2012 and they were talking about FP+. To be honest, it sold me a bit more on the technology although I'm still a little skeptical. However, the one thing that really caught my attention was that Jim said from first testing to full implementation it was probably going to take Disney somewhere around 5 years to get everything worked out and acting properly.

So maybe, FP+ isn't coming as soon as we all think it is? Also, I don't know how I feel about it going to take that long. I hope this means that they are going to take their time and do it in sections so they can be more methodical and get it all (mostly) right the first time. Thoughts?

Also, something was mentioned about the different level of the resorts getting different level of service through MM+ based on where you stay with Contemporary and Bay Lake Tower being the highest end of service.

The title of the Podcast was Episode 15: Jim Hill's Magic Kingdom Stories if you're interested. I found it on iTunes.
As for that line about the Contemporary being the highest end of service. That is an odd and intriguing statement. I would think the Grand Floridian would be on equal footing with the Contemporary. It would be interesting for the Contemporary to all of a sudden become the elite flagship resort for WDW. As for Bay Lake Towers...it is a DVC resort, they can't really change the point totals, and I can't imagine one DVC resort getting a better perk than another resort.

In regards to the 5 year plan. I HOPE SO!!! I hope we have 5 years of improved queues, AND a new land at DHS and AK, and improved rides at Epcot, and cool interactive experiences that transforms the park into a "ride" in itself.

I agree with Rileygirl - Disney has to get as many people on the magicband as soon as possible. I would imagine that Disney will introduce some changes with the opening of the Seven Dwarves Mine Train. At that point, FP+ capacity will go up again.
__________________
-Barry
  • FP+ original discussions "What we know, what we want to know" can be found at this site.
  • Best WDW insider fact or story thread.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:29 PM   #157
bcrook
DIS Veteran

 
bcrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleScout View Post
Just a quick contrary view. While I recognize that MANY people like to maximize fp and e-ticket, there are others who want to guarantee at least one e-ticket for kids (particularly if not rope drop types), and also thoroughly enjoy some of the other shows, parades, etc that currently sometime require "waits" (ie, getting a spot) that can rival e-ticket standby at busy times. Now the devil may be in the details, and i may regret supporting even the concept of fp+, but for the past several trips, we have literally not been able to do Soarin or TSMM due to long fp return times, but if I knew when my fp was, I would simply plan my day to get there around that time. Our trips typically consist of one or both grandmas, my wife and I, our kids, and sometimes her sister and their family. My mom-who loves parades, and some MILD rides, and whose only experience with thrill rides is watching her kids/grandkids, was thrilled when I described concept for upcoming trip. The demands of having toddlers and elderly on trip typically limit us regarding marquis long wait attractions anyway, so this may be a welcome change for us personally. This may change when all of our kids are a bit older and want to do sm or tt or tot or rnrc 5 times.
I understand completely. My Food and Wine trip works the same way. It may work great sometimes and less great other times.

I am not sure what the long FP return times means though? Is that referring to late in the day return times or NO return times as in Toy Story Midway Mania.

I can see how using the FP for mild or the non e-ticket rides could still be useful in the Magic Kingdom. I could use 5 FP+ in the MK. But in Disney Hollywood Studios, If I had 5 FP+ and I could only use ONE on TSMM or RnRC or ToT, I am not sure what I would use the other 4 on. Maybe Star Tours, and then ??? It is even worse at Animal Kingdom. They might as well give 20 FP+ at that park, Because if you can't use the FP for the same ride and only 1 e-ticket, I am not sure what I would use them on.

Epcot is a little better - I might use a FP+ on Spaceship Earth at noon, I would use one on Maelstrom, and maybe a QS meal and Illuminations.
__________________
-Barry
  • FP+ original discussions "What we know, what we want to know" can be found at this site.
  • Best WDW insider fact or story thread.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #158
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!
 
keishashadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 20,008

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
As for that line about the Contemporary being the highest end of service. That is an odd and intriguing statement. I would think the Grand Floridian would be on equal footing with the Contemporary. It would be interesting for the Contemporary to all of a sudden become the elite flagship resort for WDW. As for Bay Lake Towers...it is a DVC resort, they can't really change the point totals, and I can't imagine one DVC resort getting a better perk than another resort.

In regards to the 5 year plan. I HOPE SO!!! I hope we have 5 years of improved queues, AND a new land at DHS and AK, and improved rides at Epcot, and cool interactive experiences that transforms the park into a "ride" in itself.

I agree with Rileygirl - Disney has to get as many people on the magicband as soon as possible. I would imagine that Disney will introduce some changes with the opening of the Seven Dwarves Mine Train. At that point, FP+ capacity will go up again.
it would be a very powerful selling tool for DVC to be able to designate all their properties at the head of the FP+ pack.

i'm skeptical about the program's benefits for those who enjoy (in DIS-speak relatively) last minute visits to the parks. There's something to be said for being spontaneous to keep things fresh when you visit multiple times in a year.
__________________
Will trade 'nanners taken in trade by the Tag Fairy for your tag for tags!

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:40 PM   #159
EagleScout
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 476

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook

I understand completely. My Food and Wine trip works the same way. It may work great sometimes and less great other times.

I am not sure what the long FP return times means though? Is that referring to late in the day return times or NO return times as in Toy Story Midway Mania.

I can see how using the FP for mild or the non e-ticket rides could still be useful in the Magic Kingdom. I could use 5 FP+ in the MK. But in Disney Hollywood Studios, If I had 5 FP+ and I could only use ONE on TSMM or RnRC or ToT, I am not sure what I would use the other 4 on. Maybe Star Tours, and then ??? It is even worse at Animal Kingdom. They might as well give 20 FP+ at that park, Because if you can't use the FP for the same ride and only 1 e-ticket, I am not sure what I would use them on.

Epcot is a little better - I might use a FP+ on Spaceship Earth at noon, I would use one on Maelstrom, and maybe a QS meal and Illuminations.
To clarify/confirm, yes to both regarding "long fp return" - i was referring to return times that are so far away under current fp system if not arrive early as to be nearly useless b/c our plans do not necessarily envision staying in park for 5 or 6 hours with toddlers and 80 year olds, and if all fp used up then literally useless.
EagleScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #160
bcrook
DIS Veteran

 
bcrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by keishashadow View Post
it would be a very powerful selling tool for DVC to be able to designate all their properties at the head of the FP+ pack.

i'm skeptical about the program's benefits for those who enjoy (in DIS-speak relatively) last minute visits to the parks. There's something to be said for being spontaneous to keep things fresh when you visit multiple times in a year.
I see what you are saying. It would be a wonderful selling tool.

I wasn't clear in my statement. I meant, I can't see how one DVC resort would get a better FP+ perk than another DVC resort. For example, I don't really see BLT getting a more advanced FP+ than GF DVC or the Beach Club DVC or Villas at Wilderness Lodge.
__________________
-Barry
  • FP+ original discussions "What we know, what we want to know" can be found at this site.
  • Best WDW insider fact or story thread.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:03 PM   #161
bcrook
DIS Veteran

 
bcrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleScout View Post
To clarify/confirm, yes to both regarding "long fp return" - i was referring to return times that are so far away under current fp system if not arrive early as to be nearly useless b/c our plans do not necessarily envision staying in park for 5 or 6 hours with toddlers and 80 year olds, and if all fp used up then literally useless.
YES! In this case, this has to be one FP+ best selling points. You can get that elusive FP for Toy Story Midway Mania for the time YOU want. That will be a beautiful thing.
__________________
-Barry
  • FP+ original discussions "What we know, what we want to know" can be found at this site.
  • Best WDW insider fact or story thread.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:59 PM   #162
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran
 
Rileygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 770

When I think of the 3 fp+ , I think my best utilization will be - 1 e ticket, 1 parade or nighttime show, and one b attraction. This works for 3 out of the 4 theme parks (AK weakest link). Fantasmic at Studios, Illuminations at Epcot, they are the clear choice for me. Actually, we usually skip these because I have no interest in waiting 1.5 hrs ahead of time to get a good spot.

(maelstrom Barry? Seriously? I'd be doing Ellens Energy Advenure instead! Haha)

I just hope that the b tickets that now have fp wont be horrendous to fit in. Im concerned about this.

Edited to add: I dont think (gut feeling) that DVC will be head of the pack in FP+, I think that they will be equal to top tier Deluxe resorts. Disney wants to catch that consumer, they already caught quite a few of us with DVC. Cant be bad, I cant see it being 'better'.
__________________
Rileygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:21 PM   #163
bcrook
DIS Veteran

 
bcrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileygirl View Post
When I think of the 3 fp+ , I think my best utilization will be - 1 e ticket, 1 parade or nighttime show, and one b attraction. This works for 3 out of the 4 theme parks (AK weakest link). Fantasmic at Studios, Illuminations at Epcot, they are the clear choice for me. Actually, we usually skip these because I have no interest in waiting 1.5 hrs ahead of time to get a good spot.

(maelstrom Barry? Seriously? I'd be doing Ellens Energy Advenure instead! Haha)

I just hope that the b tickets that now have fp wont be horrendous to fit in. Im concerned about this.

Edited to add: I dont think (gut feeling) that DVC will be head of the pack in FP+, I think that they will be equal to top tier Deluxe resorts. Disney wants to catch that consumer, they already caught quite a few of us with DVC. Cant be bad, I cant see it being 'better'.
This report gives a hopeful glimpse at the Epcot options! It does mention 3 FP+ but multiple e-tickets - I wouldn't have to FP Maelstrom. That would work better at Epcot. I wonder if that would have been the same for MK?
__________________
-Barry
  • FP+ original discussions "What we know, what we want to know" can be found at this site.
  • Best WDW insider fact or story thread.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:20 AM   #164
EagleScout
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 476

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook

This report gives a hopeful glimpse at the Epcot options! It does mention 3 FP+ but multiple e-tickets - I wouldn't have to FP Maelstrom. That would work better at Epcot. I wonder if that would have been the same for MK?
Thanks for post and link- i also got caught in an app "test" this weekend, but our next trip is 2 months away, so was purely theoretical and no specifics were available. But some of the followup posts raise an interesting issue- what happens to the "b" rides (and "c", "d", etc)? My son has never been able to ride tsmm, but he has ridden buzz several times and his same-age cousin once went on basically a continuous loop of riding buzz, get back in 5 min standby, repeat. And they both like the carousel and tomorrowland people mover, which currently have basically no wait. He probably envisions a similar experience in his little head for our next trip, along with repeated rides on spaceship earth (his grandpa who helped invent internet is smiling from above), and riding iasw, the dino dumbo at ak, and seeing fotlk with limited to no waits- and another venture on poc if he is feeling brave again. I am not so worried about ak because there are only 3 things that likely will need a fp that we like (safari, fotlk, and maybe dino dumbo), but i could see scenarios in which our epcot-and definitely mk- experiences are impacted- as i said before, devil is in details, but i remain optimistic
EagleScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #165
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran
 
Rileygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 770

Interesting report.

But before everyone starts dancing a jig regarding it, I have to say, I dont believe that when this system is on, live, and operating under the capacity that I believe Disney envisions, the numbers do not support it. Do you think? That was the whole point of the start of this thread - the logistics and potential of how many and what could be offered. And the best E ticket rides will most likely be 1 per customer. Mathmatically speaking, that is just a fact. ESPECIALLY at EPCOT and AK - MK and Studios, well, maybe. (ok- I sound like I know, but this is just my opinion, stated strongly. I dont actually KNOW anything, just speculating and stabbing at an educated guess).

Here is the silver lining, from my perspective. Its going to take a while, maybe a long while, for Disney to train those mice to eat the cheese. Especially off site guests. It may take a couple of years to get 80% or so to use this new system. IN THE MEAN TIME - transitions can be awesome! We may be able to score multiple e tickets, plus get extra fp+'s. In the first few months of roll out - do you think even 20% of Disney guests will be 'online' with the program. I doubt it. The suprise and amaze, plus the here and now, will be firing out fp+s like a machine gun. (possibly). Why? Disney wants people to love it, and talk about it, and do it again or recommend people to do it.

This transition for the 'in the know' user could be heaven sent. A dream. But you have to know, that as every day passes - Disney will be doing its best to train those mice, encourage them to participate, and wring lots of money out of them in the process. How fast will it take? I have no idea. It could be 1 year or 6 months or 3 years to get up to that capacity. In the mean time, with good solid Dis reports on what is happening when this thing goes live, we can maybe all make hay while the sun shines. That is my most optomistic view regarding transitions.

I very much suspect that eventually every attraction and experience will be part of the grid. It will be riding appointments. Eventually. We shall have to ressurect this thread 10 years from now, and see how badly we forecasted this new system.
__________________
Rileygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: