Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #1576
ErinsMommy
DIS Veteran

Cake for DH's surpise 50th birthday...delivered to room and it was as delicious as it looked!!

Chocolate cake with chocolate mousse filling.

Man of the day

Cake cutting with daddy
Me: Debi DH: John DD: Erin/7
Old 02-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #1577
Kara315
Mouseketeer

List of fillings at the CR

Does anyone have a list of the fillings available at the CR? I've seen Bavarian crème, and passion fruit mousse I believe, anyone know of others they can do, besides chocolate mousse?
Can you get any with fresh raspberries/strawberries?
Thanks.

Our Zoo
and two Chinchilla's named and

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #1578
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelmjfan View Post
Me too. That's why I've never ordered one. It definitely wouldn't be enough for us, but everyone isn't a icing junky like I am. It's good to see I'm not alone.

A lot of people have gotten cakes delivered to their resort from Boardwalk Bakery. They seem as reliable as any option. You wouldn't get the excitement of having it delivered to the table, if you went that route though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
Yeah, I'm going to second Tarheelmjfan here on both counts: 1) I'm also a huge frosting fan and consider cake to be merely a vehicle for frosting and 2) As long as you place your order through POFQ, you should have no trouble getting a BoardWalk Bakery cake delivered to your room. If you need an excuse, you can pretend that you guys were named the resort's Family of the Day (an actual thing! It happened to me at Pop!) and that's where the cake came from!
I think my sister and DH would be ok with just having a few bites, but DS and I would be seriously fighting over the rest of it. He's become quite the frosting junky!
I'm not big into cake either. It's ok, but I like gobs of frosting on top, and if I run out (of frosting that is) I'll often throw the rest of the cake in the garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasslipper View Post
I saw a photo on someones trip report of the bakery case at Starring Rolls, and they had the Treasure chest cupcake for $8.99! It's on the Live report thread, next to last page.
Oooooh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinsMommy View Post
Cake for DH's surpise 50th birthday...delivered to room and it was as delicious as it looked!!

Chocolate cake with chocolate mousse filling.
That's such an adorable cake. How much did it cost, and where did you have it delivered?
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
Old 02-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #1579
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

What size cake should I order for 6 adults and 2 children (ages 6 and 3, both who eat cake)? One of the adults isn't a huge fan of cake, but loves icing so will have one piece most likely. The other 5 adults all love cake.

I would love to have Chef Brian make it, so I'm thinking about having it delivered to our reservation at Tony's in MK. If we do that, we likely won't have a place to put it right away as we have reservations for the Dessert Party that night as well. Would it be OK without refrigeration for a while if we had leftovers? (Or if we wanted to wait til the party to eat it?) What have others done with the cake if you're not leaving the park right away?

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009,
April 2010 (F&W Festival!), April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (F&W adults only trip!)
Old 02-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #1580
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara315 View Post
Does anyone have a list of the fillings available at the CR? I've seen Bavarian crème, and passion fruit mousse I believe, anyone know of others they can do, besides chocolate mousse?
Can you get any with fresh raspberries/strawberries?
Thanks.
I'd just go by the list in the first post of this thread and ask them if the one you want is an option. Their standard flavors are the ones listed in the info for the Contemporary in Post #2.

I've never heard of anyone being told they couldn't have fresh raspberries or strawberries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Ariel View Post
What size cake should I order for 6 adults and 2 children (ages 6 and 3, both who eat cake)? One of the adults isn't a huge fan of cake, but loves icing so will have one piece most likely. The other 5 adults all love cake.
Disney recommends an 8-inch.

Quote:
Would it be OK without refrigeration for a while if we had leftovers? (Or if we wanted to wait til the party to eat it?) What have others done with the cake if you're not leaving the park right away?
It should be fine; it just might get a little droopy depending on whether it's covered in buttercream or fondant. I'd put it in a locker.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #1581
Kara315
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I'd just go by the list in the first post of this thread and ask them if the one you want is an option. Their standard flavors are the ones listed in the info for the Contemporary in Post #2.

I've never heard of anyone being told they couldn't have fresh raspberries or strawberries.
That's a good idea, Thank you!

Our Zoo
and two Chinchilla's named and

Old 02-23-2013, 04:58 PM   #1582
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It should be fine; it just might get a little droopy depending on whether it's covered in buttercream or fondant. I'd put it in a locker.
Droopy is OK, I just wouldn't want it to completely melt (it will be buttercream, most likely). Our dinner reservation is for 4:45pm, so we probably wouldn't be leaving the restaurant until around 6, so hopefully in March it'll be cool-ish by then? Would the restaurant be able to give us a box for the leftovers?

The locker is a great idea, thanks!

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009,

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (F&W adults only trip!)
Old 02-25-2013, 01:10 PM   #1583
RunningWithScissors
Wife, Mom, Alabama Football GradFan

First post after spending 2 days perusing the cake threads and here is my question: Whose cakes are better? The ones from the Contemporary or the ones from Yacht & Beach Club? The reason I ask is because I can do either--we can do the birthday party in the room at BLT that morning before heading out or do it at the birthday dinner at Le Cellier that night.

My son turns 10 and he wants a Test Track theme or Rock n' Roller Coaster theme. I'm thinking Mad hatter shape--there is a Cars themed cake somewhere in these threads that is similar to what I want. $100-150 is what I want to spend.

Any help and/or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #1584
lurkyloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post
First post after spending 2 days perusing the cake threads and here is my question: Whose cakes are better? The ones from the Contemporary or the ones from Yacht & Beach Club? The reason I ask is because I can do either--we can do the birthday party in the room at BLT that morning before heading out or do it at the birthday dinner at Le Cellier that night.
In that situation I'd chose the Contemporary just because it's easier to work with them — you can email the pastry chef directly with your ideas and photos, whereas the Y&BC usually makes you go through a middle (wo)man. Plus, then the leftover cake will already be in your room; you won't have to tote it around the park.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:26 PM   #1585
RunningWithScissors
Wife, Mom, Alabama Football GradFan

Quote:
In that situation I'd chose the Contemporary just because it's easier to work with them — you can email the pastry chef directly with your ideas and photos, whereas the Y&BC usually makes you go through a middle (wo)man. Plus, then the leftover cake will already be in your room; you won't have to tote it around the park.
That was kind of what I was thinking. I am not a huge fan of bday cake for breakfast, haha, but we don't have to eat it then--we can do that when we get back after dinner. I think my son would love a surprise bday party when he wakes up! We always travel with my sister and her family so with 9 people there, it will be fun!

Thanks for this fantastic thread with more information than anyone could imagine!
Old 02-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #1586
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

So...since I'm sick, and it is super cold and snowy outside anyways, I've spent the last few days trying to dissect the Disney Cake pricing structure. I noticed that certain price points came up over and over again, especially within a specific bakery.

It's mostly me guessing, but it has, at least, given me a better idea of what I should expect. In fact, it showed me that the pricing structure seems to be fairly consistent; it's just a matter of the creativity of the various pastry chefs, which accounts for the variances. I spent the most time analyzing 6-inch cakes, because that's what I'm interested ordering for myself. That structure seems to apply to 8-inch cakes as well, but 10-inch cakes seem to be the most variable. However, people seem to get the most creativity once they reach the 10-inch size.
First of all, each place seems to have a particular depth (# of layers) of cake that they prefer, and their pricing reflects that.
Grand Floridian: 2-layer 6-inch cakes = $21
2-layer 8-inch cakes = $37 (ish)
Contemporary: 3-layer 6-inch cakes - $30
3-layer 8-inch = $40

Epcot area resorts: I didnt have many 6-inch cakes to go from here, which I think explains why the cakes that come from this area seem to cost more than anywhere else. 8-inch cakes have anywhere from 2 to 4 layers. In general, I dont have enough cakes from this area to pull from to really determine rules.
I didnt attempt Animal Kingdom at all.

Then for decorations:
- Basic customization cost = $25. Its seems fairly consistent that youre going to pay at least $25 to customize a cake at all. This includes some gum paste/sugar flowers and a 2D edible image. It seems this is where the creativity of the chef comes in. I expect there are probably specific prices for certain things, but nothing was obvious, so I just rolled them together, since almost every cake I saw had these additions at various levels of extravagance.
- Fondant = $15  This amount gets higher the more fondant you need. Most 6-inch cakes only require $15 worth, but some require more. A 10-inch cake seems to always require AT LEAST $30 worth of fondant, but an 8-inch cake can go either way.
- Fillings and Cake Flavors = $5/option  The people on this thread seem to play the most with the fillings, but it seems that alternative cake could bring about extra fees as well. If you go with any combination of White or Chocolate cake with White or Chocolate butter cream, then you shouldnt end up paying extra. If you throw in chocolate mousse instead, youll end up with a $5 charge.
- Molded accessories = $35+ - It really depends on what you get here. The standard white chocolate characters have their own price point, while other things such as skulls and Mickey ears vary more. I think you can reasonably expect to pay AT LEAST $35 for any molded items on your cake that arent fondant or simple gum paste. I think this is the main reason why 10-inch cakes are harder to pinpoint; they all seem to have little extras like this.

Here are a few examples (I hope nobody minds if I repost their cakes):

The Grand Floridian has at least 3 cakes listed on this thread at exactly the same price point ($66) so thats where I started. I wanted to figure out the likelihood of being able to keep a cake under $80, if I ordered it from there.

Grand Floridian  Brave Theme  2-layer 6-inch  Fondant & Edible Image  Strawberries & Cream Filling

Base Cost = $21
Base Customize (Flowers & Edible Image) = $25
Filling = $5
Fondant = $15
Total Cost = $66

Grand Floridian  Ariel Theme  3-layer 6-inch  Fondant & Edible Image  Strawberries & White Chocolate Mousse Filling

Base Cost = $30
Base Customize = $25
Fondant = $15
Filling = $5
Total Cost = $75 (The OP reported a cost of $80, so maybe the molded coral cost more, or the GF could charge a little more than the Contemporary for the extra cake layer. Its still a fairly close estimate)

Grand Floridian  Frog Prince Theme  3-layer 6-inch  Fondant & Molded Frog  Amaretto Mousse Filling

Base Cost = $30
Base Customize = $25
Fondant = $30
Filling = $5
Molded Frog etc = $35
Total Cost = $125

(Speculation) The main problem with the Grand Floridian seems to be communication. From what Ive gleaned from the problems people have had, it seems that the pastry chef there has an artists complex (doesnt want to be told what to do with pictures etc) which is further complicated by the fact that you dont actually get to deal with him/her. Its basically a really bad game of telephone, because you not only have to explain to Pat, someone who may or may not have any artistic ability whatsoever, what you want, you also have to explain it in a way so she can explain it to the pastry chef. It seems to me that this ends up tying the hands of the pastry chef, because once he/she actually sits down to work on your cake their creativity is limited by the amount of money youre expecting to pay. Maybe Im completely off on this assumption, but thats how it seems from anecdotal evidence people have given, and the final results.
Its also possible, that past the simple $66 cakes people seem to get a lot of, they may not want to spend too much time on cakes that are under $100. They also seem fond of fondant, which automatically adds $15 to the cost, and even more the more elaborate the cake gets.

Contemporary Resort   Robin Hood Theme - 2-layer 6-inch Butter cream & Edible Image

Base Cost = $21
Base Customize= $25
Filling = $5 (the OP didnt post exactly what kind, but it was definitely chocolate and not vanilla, which was used for the rest of the cake)
Total Cost = $51

Contemporary Resort  Lady & the Tramp  3-layer 6-inch  Buttercream & Edible Image  Dark Chocolate Mousse Filling

Base Cost = $30
Base Customize = $25
Dark Chocolate Mousse Filling = $5
Total Cost = $60

Contemporary Resort  Mary Poppins  2-layer 6-inch  Fondant & Chocolate Carousel  White Chocolate & Strawberry Filling

Base Cost = $21
Base Customize = $25
Filling = $5
Fondant = $30
Carousel = $35
Total Cost = $116 (the OP actually indicated that the cake cost $115, so there is a little variance, but not a lot!)

The pastry chef at the Contemporary resort definitely seems more open to suggestion, which helps pin point the exact cost of more elaborate cakes from the beginning. I think that accounts for the cost discrepancy more so than actual tangible differences from resort to resort.

The Epcot area resort cakes stray vastly from the structure Ive deduced. I think that instead of doing their cakes on a cake to cake basis, their custom cake pricing seems to start where the price sheet on this thread suggests: $75 for an 8 or 10-inch cake. They also seem to use cakes with more layers which bump the price up too. There arent many examples of when theyve customized a 6-inch cake, and they seem to charge for everything separately (ie. Each edible image = $15).
(I do have a few examples, but both photobucket and the search function on the DIS stopped working, so I've decided to give up my endeavor for the time being)

Im still not sure what this means for me. I can probably get the cake I want from the Grand Floridian, but theres definitely a communication risk. I think my budget should be suitable for what I want, but theres no really good precedent. I want more gum paste/sugar flowers, in addition to or instead of fondant.

I just thought I'd share in case it can help someone else!
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991

Last edited by danceintherain; 02-25-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:16 PM   #1587
Claire&TheBoys
The Queen of the Castle!

Just back from my girls' weekend trip to celebrate my sister's 50th birthday! We had dinner at Whispering Canyon last night with the cake from Chef Brian delivered at dessert time. I had told him I wanted something "fun and happy" and since we had just walked the Princess Half Marathon yesterday morning, I wanted it to have Mickey running. His email proposal was for a cake with green fondant, a road around the bottom and across the top, with a 2D image of Mickey running. This is how it turned out:

It was an 8" cake, 3 layers, chocolate, with peanut butter mousse filling. The cost was $87. It was delicious - my sister loved it! She was very surprised and pleased. The cake was moist and she loved the mousse filling. There was chocolate buttercream under the fondant.

As a side note, we were a group of 8 and had more than half the cake left over to bring home today.

As for the payment, I told the server specifically (and had mentioned when I ordered the cake) that the bill for the cake was to be separate from the dinner check and that was not a problem. However, with a party of 8, the auto-gratuity was charged on the cake, which I didn't particularly agree with since it's not like the server had anything to do except bring out the cake, light a candle and lead the restaurant in singing Happy Birthday. However, my best friend has a Tables in Wonderland card that she had used for the entire check and the server got the manager to allow him to apply the TIW discount to the cost of the cake, so it pretty much negated the 18% gratuity and I didn't fuss.

I was very pleased with the experience of ordering a cake from the CR and would definitely do it again!

"You see, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes. They're shining deep down inside you... because that, my friends, is where the magic lives."

More than 25 trips to Disney World since age 4, including:
Jan 2014: OKW - Feb 2013 (DPHM): CSR - Sept 2012: Pop - Nov 2011: Pop - May 2011: CSR - Jan 2011: All-Star Sports - May 2010: Pop Century - Nov 2009: Wilderness Lodge - May 2009: Shades of Green -
Aug/Sept 2008: CSR - Jan 2008: POFQ - Sept 2007: CSR - Sept 2004: FWCabins - Sept 2003: CSR - Jan 1997: Honeymoon at Westgate - Plus many trips as a child at FW!
Old 02-25-2013, 08:57 PM   #1588
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

OK..so the detailed PP made me wonder - how welcoming is the Contemporary to suggested designs?

My parents' 40th wedding anniversary is this year, and I'd like to surprise them with a cake that is reminiscent of their wedding. I can't replicate any tier of the cake because none of the pictures I have access to have a good enough picture of the cake to do so. I have 3 photographs from their wedding that I used as inspiration to come up with the following design (done in word, as I have no drawing skills whatsoever)

The ribbon is inspired by the flower girl's dress, the scrollwork and roses from their cake (you can't tell what the actual design is, but you can tell there's something there..so this is pretty much up to the chef), and then daisies from mom's bouquet.

I plan on contacting the Contemporary tomorrow, as our trip is in 2 weeks (our MK reservation is about 2.5 weeks out), and I was thinking this might help convey to them what I'm talking about (along with maybe e-mailing them the 3 photographs that I have for inspiration)? It certainly doesn't have to be exactly this design, but I'd love for it to somehow echo their wedding. Should I just e-mail them the inspiration photos and let them come up with something? Would they e-mail me a design or something first?

I'm sorry for all the questions..I've never done this before!

Old 02-26-2013, 12:47 PM   #1589
lurkyloo

Quote:
OK..so the detailed PP made me wonder - how welcoming is the Contemporary to suggested designs?
Very!

Quote:
Should I just e-mail them the inspiration photos and let them come up with something? Would they e-mail me a design or something first?
If you want the cake to look exactly like your design, they will make it look exactly like it. If you want a more loose interpretation, they can do that too. I've never had them send me back a design, though—not sure that's something they offer. But I've had no problem getting something that looks like I want it to when I send them a photo first.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #1590
wurtie
Mouseketeer

Can someone tell me what the cake/pastry thing under the chocolate slipper dessert at CRT tastes like?
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: