Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #1
STLDisney_Freak
I don't have a short attention span, I just.....OH look a kitty! Cats are like potato chips you can't have just one! Chihauhuas, Shih Tzus and Pugs! Oh My!

Parasailing

DD and I signed up for parasailing at our stop in Castaway Cay. How safe is it? If you have done it would you do it again? Experiences?

Cruises sailed: 12/08 Magic - Western, 09/10 Wonder - DVC Member, 10/11 Dream - Bahamas, 05/13 Fantasy - Western, 03/14 -RC Brilliance of the Seas - STEELERS cruise! 10/14 - Wonder Double Dip
STLDisney_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
LV Disney Fan(atic)
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever." - WD

I tried parasailing for the first time with my daughter at CC 2 years ago. I'm pretty scared of heights but my daughter wanted to try it and I figured it was probably going to be safer with Disney than with anyone else. It was fabulous! I felt completely safe the whole time and the views were incredible. We enjoyed it so much we tried to do it again last year but it was cancelled due to windy weather; while we were disappointed we were glad to see they were concerned about safety first. Going to try again in a few weeks and can't wait! Definitely recommend it.
Register to remove

Old 02-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
bucky1023
DIS Veteran

I did it on CC in August of last year. I'm not crazy about heights but I LOVED it. I was scared at first when they first put you into the harness and when you start to lift off of the boat, but after that I was fine. We had a great day, not too windy and bright/sunny. It was wonderful and I felt very safe once I was in the air. I didn't even feel like I was moving at all and the views are so pretty.

FYI I also dragged my 75 year old mother (not a risk taker ) with me along with my cousin and his 12 year old son. We all had a great time.
bucky1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
STLDisney_Freak
I don't have a short attention span, I just.....OH look a kitty! Cats are like potato chips you can't have just one! Chihauhuas, Shih Tzus and Pugs! Oh My!

Are you allowed to take your camera or video camera up with up?

Cruises sailed: 12/08 Magic - Western, 09/10 Wonder - DVC Member, 10/11 Dream - Bahamas, 05/13 Fantasy - Western, 03/14 -RC Brilliance of the Seas - STEELERS cruise! 10/14 - Wonder Double Dip
STLDisney_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
jeppler
Mouseketeer

Absolutely, take a disposable one to be safe. Make sure to secure it with a strap around your wrist. If you want, bring a second camera and ask one of the other people to snap a few shots of you getting harnessed up and taking off...
Old 02-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
sdjen
DIS Veteran

We are looking at doing this next cruise also.

For those who have done it - how wet do you get? Do they dip you in the water? I would prefer not to get too wet.

Thanks
Old 02-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
Steve Dexter
Would rather be at Satellite Falls

Loved it, would totally do it again. It was peaceful and quiet once you got up and away from the noise of the boat. The views of the ship and Castaway Cay were amazing. It's not scary at all. I ended up making friends with several of the people on the parasailing boat. It was a great experience and I'm glad I did it.
Steve Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #8
shrinkingmoody
Earning My Ears

Great question. I was thinking of giving it a try as well. Can your family be on the boat too (DH and DS(3)) or just those participating? And - silly as it may be - I assume the wind catches the chute and lifts you but how do you come down?

shrinkingmoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
tink,too
DIS Veteran

We've been parasailing twice at CC - loved it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdjen View Post
For those who have done it - how wet do you get? Do they dip you in the water? I would prefer not to get too wet.
You don't have to get wet at all if you don't want to.

They'll dip your toes, or right up to your neck if you want - just let them know your preference before you go up.

First time they dunked my DH to his waist and me just past my ankles. Second time, DH with DD got only a little wet and I was reeled straight back onto the boat.
tink,too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #10
Steve Dexter
Would rather be at Satellite Falls

Only the people that are doing the actual parasailing excursion can come on the boat. It's basically like a winch, when you are up in the air, they just reel you back in.
Steve Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #11
LV Disney Fan(atic)
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever." - WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLDisney_Freak View Post
Are you allowed to take your camera or video camera up with up?
I took my underwater camera up with me no problem (strap securely fastened to my wrist!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdjen View Post
We are looking at doing this next cruise also.

Thanks
Like a PP said, totally up to you if you want to get wet or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkingmoody View Post
Great question. I was thinking of giving it a try as well. Can your family be on the boat too (DH and DS(3)) or just those participating? And - silly as it may be - I assume the wind catches the chute and lifts you but how do you come down?
When we went only those who were actually parasailing were allowed on the boat; there wasn't room for anyone else. And they reel you in via the attached rope to bring you back down. It was a very smooth ride.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #12
Embraer
Mouseketeer

Due to the age restrictions on CC I'll be unable to take my 5yo parasailing. St Maarten's parasailing outfit No1 SXM appear only to have a weight restriction, has anybody any experience of them??
Old 02-25-2013, 07:04 PM   #13
sdjen
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the info! Cannot wait to try this on our next cruise!
Old 02-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #14
Heyriddle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky1023
I did it on CC in August of last year. I'm not crazy about heights but I LOVED it. I was scared at first when they first put you into the harness and when you start to lift off of the boat, but after that I was fine. We had a great day, not too windy and bright/sunny. It was wonderful and I felt very safe once I was in the air. I didn't even feel like I was moving at all and the views are so pretty.

FYI I also dragged my 75 year old mother (not a risk taker ) with me along with my cousin and his 12 year old son. We all had a great time.
Anyone remember the prices to parasail on CC?

Has anyone gone in St. Maarten or St. Thomas?

2005 Disney Magic Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2008 Disney Wonder Bahamas Double Dip 4-Night
2011 Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 7-Night
Heyriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:57 AM   #15
perfectmatch300
United We Stand
Will ride anything with "roller coaster" in the name!

Loved parasailing on CC! Would absolutely do it again! Felt very safe the whole time and the view was amazing!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: